• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Is this game cheating on expedition map??

Klanitsa

Yes, I notice the difference. Now you are starting to understand what a random factor actually means. Same units, same terrain, you took 5 hits, the other guy took 4. That's how random works.
I understand RNG, what i dont understand, or just can't accept is how the game at that point consecutively disfavored me to the point to overcome the bonus meager as it may have been, while it favored itself. To have it happen once or twice in that specific skirmish, it's normal. To have it happen for three rounds, is FISHY.

Where you are going wrong is in thinking that you miniscule 12% boost should be enough to make you invincible. Sorry, no. You need a lot more boost than that.
Nope, not invincible, I just expected to win with a few units remaining, WITH or WITHOUT the boost.

And yes, if you are in HMA with only a 12% atk/def boost, AND you need to take sectors for the coins, then you have 100% for sure aged up way too fast to do well. That's reality in this game. Sorry if you don't like it.
So, how should a normal aging be in HMA? Because all you people tell me is how I went wrong, without giving even the smallest hint of what is "right". Well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Klanitsa

You made several blatant errors in this engagement: you fought with the same units as the enemy with the same number of units as the enemy (mind you this might work with ranged units if you can land the first shots in) and those units were subject to reaction attacks when your units failed to kill the enemy.
Indeed that was a mistake, however i didn't expect such a fishy turnarround. it's like barely possible. And yet the AI went out of it's way to sap my units and boost it's units.

Also even if you didn't have time to train more HMA units
Let me stop you there. All my units were HMA and had some more waiting. I very rarely enter combat without having at least 6 units backup for city defense.

if you can spare a bit of space for a few minutes you could of built 1 or 2 bronze age spear fighters to help you in the fight. If nothing else when facing enemy with reaction attack you could of sent the spears in so your HMA units wouldn't of taken damage to kill off the 1st unit.
Why would I do that instead of adding 2 more crossbowmen who would last longer and do a hell lot more damage? If I had unlimited slots for combat, i'd surely spam them. But slots here are precious. Unfortunately FoE is not Cossacks :p

wolfhoundtoo

They build fast and if you have excess housing (or a slight rearrangement and reduction of roads) you would be able to produce those units in minutes. Do the battle and then repair your city. But you are correct better to have units you can use more effectively......but in that case you should of just waited to do the battle till you had the crossbowmen.

Plain Red Justice

So, how should a normal aging be in HMA? Because all you people tell me is how I went wrong, without giving even the smallest hint of what is "right". Well?
Imagine all the typing that you did here in this funny thread was spent on studying the game. Or looking for someone to snipe so you can go ahead and get your epic 12% attack in HMA fixed lol

Vger

There is no single "right" way to play this game, but there are a lot of wrong ways.

I can't see your city, so I can only guess, but with such a low RP and fighting boost, I have to wonder what GBs you have, and at what level? What event buildings do you have, and at what level? What FP producing buildings do you have? How many FPs do they produce each day?

By HMA, if you are going to be at least a casual fighter, you should really have at least 2 of the 3 core fighting GBs (Zeus, CoA and CDM). And you want to be working on getting them to level 10. If you have 12% boost, you haven't even started to get that. A serious fighter would have all 3 at 10+, and Traz, and maybe AO in HMA.

By HMA, you should be literally drowning in coins. They are the first resource that you get so many of, you stop caring. By HMA, the only thing coins are really good for is doing RQs. On that subject, how many Recurring Quests are you actually doing a day? HMA is an awesome age for RQs. Are you taking advantage of that?

By HMA, you should be able to complete all 4 levels of GE each week. With only 12%, you won't get very far trying to fight it. Do you produce enough goods to negotiate it? How far do you get in GE each week?

Where are you in your hood? Are you closer to the bottom or the top? You want to be in the top 20 (10 is better) before you think about ageing up.

The Lady Redneck

You say you attack first. This is asking for trouble. This is a game of strategies. you have to work out what will beat the system. Always allow the enemy to bring the battle to you. You should never attack with anything other that a full 8 in your army. Use any arty units if they can hit the enemy without moving forward. Do not move your troops until the enemy has moved theirs. I sometimes even hold mine back twice. That way the enemy is in range and you can then move your troops to where they can be most effective.

Also by HMA you surely have more to your city to help your troops than wheatfields? I one of my worlds I have just moved from HMA to LMA. So have been fighting with the same troops you have. But it has taken me a year to get there (without the use of diamonds except to get expansions or the last BP for a GB). Simply because I intend making this city a decent fighting one. I have 12 rogues hideouts, Champs retreat. and the racks for the troops of my age. A Level 84 Arc, Level 56 CdM, Level 52 Traz, Level 80 Cape. Zeus and CoA are only level 10, Also have OBS, ToR, LoA, CF and StM and just put in an AO. I will start working my Zeus and CoA when I finish off my CdM. I also have the Harvest Barn set but put in 3 wheatfields as I did want the extra boost for troops. and have other Event buildings which helps support my military. I have never moved up an age until I am top of my hood, plus have enough FP packs and goods to complete all techs in my new age and can auto battle all 4 levels in GE. As those are things that indicate how my city is progressing. I still consider my attack stats to be too low (A 326% D 222%) as they are not up to the Parr of the rest on my guild. But hope to rectify that before moving into CA.

So if all you have is the 12% boost from one wheat field. I would suggest you aim to get the Wolf House in the current Event, plus start on getting your GBs up to Parr. Yes it all takes time but this game is designed for the long haul and you will see a big improvement in your fighting ability if you do stay in your present age and build on what you have.

Last edited:

Emberguard

Nope, not invincible, I just expected to win with a few units remaining, WITH or WITHOUT the boost.
If all you’re doing is matching them then you have to outplay them. Because 1 for 1 is a stalemate and therefore loses or only wins by the tiniest margin. 12% will barely even effect your stats.

by the time you reach HMA you have access to Zeus and Cathedral of Aachen. At lvl 10 (what the game was originally balanced around) you’d have 60% boost combined between those two GBs. I’d suggest if you haven’t already you look to getting your attack GBs up and lvl’d either to lvl 10 or at least started.

The actual battle will take time and skill to work out. Try different combinations. Manually fight and see what strategies you can come up with. Get some rogues.

Emberguard

@Klanitsa if you have trouble finding BPs then I would suggest trying to contact players and ask if you can take a spot on the GB you need BPs for or make some kind of deal targeting the GB you need. Contribution rewards will always be of the GB you got the reward from which makes it the most efficient method for BP gathering

Emberguard

Let me stop you there. All my units were HMA and had some more waiting. I very rarely enter combat without having at least 6 units backup for city defense.
Oh yeah. Do you know about unattached units? It’s a good idea to use unattached units on city defence where possible as that will free up your city space to use your attached units when attacking

Klanitsa

Oh yeah. Do you know about unattached units? It’s a good idea to use unattached units on city defence where possible as that will free up your city space to use your attached units when attacking
yup I figured that already! Lemme ask you sth else. Do you later in game get a second wave of units like "big NPC armies" do? You know like the ziggurat fights on Aztec expedition map?

Algona

Do you later in game get a second wave of units like "big NPC armies" do?

No. Players do not get second wave for either attack or defense.

You won't need a second wave if you follow the excellent advice in the following linked post:

There is no single "right" way to play this game, but there are a lot of wrong ways.

I hgihly recommend that post. It's outstanding advice.

Dunno if you were wondering about defending your city. The following advice is unsolicited, make of it what you will.

As far as defending your city, don't worry about it so much as learning how to mitigate plundering if when getting plundered becomes a problem. Recommend asking for help on that in another thread or just look through the forum for help on that.

Emberguard

yup I figured that already! Lemme ask you sth else. Do you later in game get a second wave of units like "big NPC armies" do? You know like the ziggurat fights on Aztec expedition map?
Like Algona said. No. Your advantage will be in your boosts, GB bonuses, unit matchups and fighting ability

ahsay

At only 21,000 ranking points I'm guessing you are either in Iron Age or rushed into EMA. In either case 12% isn't enough boost to make any difference since you are dealing with small amounts of damage to start with. 12% more of 3 damage still averages out to 3 damage. Therefore it is quite possible for you to be beaten.
Then you screwed up even more. You should still be in IA building your boost. Even 500k in points could be too few, you have 21K seriously. You're not playing Mario, Higher levels mean nothing in this game, except it'll cost you more to get things done.

Kranyar explained it all...

>>>12% more of 3 damage still averages out to 3 damage.<<< %O of 3 damage is...guess what...3 damage. So your, "...but shouldn't?" No, there is no, "...but shouldn't"

Argue all you want, that's the key to your problem. Then on top of that...did you read the part where it's random? That's why you took 3 hits and they took 4. Try it again. If it keeps happening you might have a case of...really bad luck. But 1 attack, is a small sample size, that small a sample size is about as useful as a %12 attack boost.

ahsay

Wrong again, I was saving coins for something big (build 2 churches) and I was missing a thousand or two. At that time. But in order to support your self-righteousness, you assumed I had a weak coin production and was out of coins.
This is why you have no clue. It's no assumption; you do have a weak coin production. You can't even afford to build two churches. You have a %12 boost, can't build two churches, 21K and in HMA, you're making every rookie mistake that can be made. You're friend should be giving "you" advice. They'd be far more successful.

You advanced way too fast. Someone who prepared properly wouldn't have any of your problems. You did not chose wisely.

Korgull

You're friend should be giving "you" advice. They'd be far more successful.
Actually I advanced just about the same way. I'm near the end of LMA and i'm at 65K. This game does not even hint owards this way. All it does is constantly pushing you towards new ages as fast as you can afford.

Korgull

After reading this thread I must say, with the exception of some really well mannered players and devs, this community sucks. Lots of everblown-ego elitistic narcissists here. Instead of helping new players understand what the game doesn't make clear, they come and dish out "expert" diagnoses in a very condescending manner. Also the moderators are a bit too strict with the languange political correctness... You should consider dialing down the heuristic theshold a bit; sometimes whole frustrations are just vented out in one or two words and all the hard feelings quell down. No need to fascist it up like this. This is NOT a church or the supreme court.

Also thanks to the forum moderator witchunters Klanitsa has quit the forum (almost quit the game too), so there's no point answering any more. Klanitsa would like me to attempt conveying thanks to Emberguard, Sheherazade, Vger and wolfhoundtoo, unless some moderator feels overly exposed and deletes this post for the third time.

Korgull

In LMA you should have at least 1 million if not more.
You re right, i never gave it much thought but in my neighborhood there are 22 people with scores more than 700k.
Learning from advice reading this thread, although I'd love to see how musketeers fare in combat, I think i 'll stop age development here and try to expand a bit in the area of great buildings. Most people with high scores have an overabundance of great buildings, event building etc.
I wonder why ages beyond LMA exist....

ahsay

Actually I advanced just about the same way. I'm near the end of LMA and i'm at 65K. This game does not even hint owards this way. All it does is constantly pushing you towards new ages as fast as you can afford.
That's not true. It's actually quite the opposite. Every time you advance everything gets harder. You're more prone to plunder. Everything gets more expensive, tech tree, quests, GB, GE etc. We have one player who's been in IA for 3 years, In that amount of time I'm at PME.

Troops can help on the Continental Map but higher attack percentages are better. Instead of moving up and wasting all your FPs on the tech tree...level up your GBs. That is far more effective.