• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Don't bother grinding through Aztecs?

Emberguard

Sounds like something someone who has never done it would say. Do you have THREE Greater Runestones all level 5? I bet you don't.
It wasn’t designed to be getting up at night. It can be done in time without diamonds and without getting up at night. It’s not something the majority would necessarily be bothered to do though and your sleep is far more important than some runestone fragments

Tytan the Great

My opinion, Viking is a major grind. I had to use diamonds the last few runs, even though only a few hundred, to get the gold time reward. I did get 3 level 5 runestones, but I hated it so much I don’t want to do it anymore than necessary. I really loved Egypt, as it’s so easy. I’m on my 4th run, and so far I finished at least a week before the gold timer every time. I can do 2 battles everyday at the same times using Nubian archers, then let them heal, and do the hard battle later if I think I can beat them. Only need to check back after every 8 hours, and that’s it. No babysitting at all, no need to produce coin. Overall, I don’t think I’m gonna bother with Aztec. I’m just gonna keep doing Egypt until something else better come.

Lord Pest

Uh, I went to your city Lord Pest and I saw a maxxed Yggdrasil, but only two Greater Runestones below your Statues of Honor in the lower center. Where is the third?
I never said I had a 3rd... I only have two. I did say I have 5 ancient obelisks.
I looked up jsc29’s town on Korch. He has 462 points. Please tell us you joined Korch just to see how many runes I had in my city when I never mentioned runes in my post you quoted. Plus I’m not close to being top 10. I’m top 140.

Last edited:

Lankybrit

I tried the Aztecs but gave up after I got the quest for 2 Maize Farms and every stinking expansion space had massive impediments in the middle of them. Back to Vikings and Japan I go.

Brew J B

I've been thru Vikings once and I'm on my second Egyptian. I found neither to be a "grind" nor hard to see with 56 year old eyes. As a matter of fact, take a look at my city. I've only been playing 77 days, don't use bought diamonds, and dang sure don't get up in the middle of the night like I had a newborn baby to tend.

jsc29

I never said I had a 3rd... I only have two. I did say I have 5 ancient obelisks.
I looked up jsc29’s town on Korch. He has 462 points. Please tell us you joined Korch just to see how many runes I had in my city when I never mentioned runes in my post you quoted. Plus I’m not close to being top 10. I’m top 140.

Yes, I created a city on Korch and suffered through the annoying tutorial to check out your city. My home world is Uceria.

You wrote "You don’t need to stay up all night. But you do need to stick to it and plan your time out." as though you were an authority on how to max Vikings without getting up at freakin 3am in the morning to roll over the production buildings like I did for 5 months. Well, it turns out you have a maxxed Ygg, which means you did Vikings 15 times, but you only have 2 runestones, which means you failed to beat the time limit every time. So, frankly considering that I did beat the time limit every time, I am better qualified than you to comment on the difficulty of doing Vikings.

And as for "planning my time out", I did and I have the spreadsheets to prove it. Anyone who does "plan their time out" knows that unless diamonds are spent, it is required to do many 1-hour and 4-hour cycles to get all full set of rewards from Vikings, so unless you only need to sleep for 3.5 hours each night, setting alarms and getting up in the middle of the night is unavoidable.

Agent327

You wrote "You don’t need to stay up all night. But you do need to stick to it and plan your time out." as though you were an authority on how to max Vikings without getting up at freakin 3am in the morning to roll over the production buildings like I did for 5 months. Well, it turns out you have a maxxed Ygg, which means you did Vikings 15 times, but you only have 2 runestones, which means you failed to beat the time limit every time. So, frankly considering that I did beat the time limit every time, I am better qualified than you to comment on the difficulty of doing Vikings.

No you are not. You had to get up at night and used diamonds. Only thing you are qualified for is telling how not to do it. The way you play every settlement will be a "grind".

Rather than starting a discussion, you should read this.

[/URL]

And as for "planning my time out", I did and I have the spreadsheets to prove it. Anyone who does "plan their time out" knows that unless diamonds are spent, it is required to do many 1-hour and 4-hour cycles to get all full set of rewards from Vikings, so unless you only need to sleep for 3.5 hours each night, setting alarms and getting up in the middle of the night is unavoidable.

No it isn't, but if you want to continue your mantra and not learn from others, you are on the right way.

Wwwoodchuck

I have 3 Greater Runestones, got one for each settlement, I have 3 Dojo’s also, I went back and did another Japan settlement, or was it two? I am on the 8th run of Egypt and on schedule to have 3 Obelisks.

It is a task to complete them all on time. What I did was analyze what was required and what could be grouped together, as in the quests. I save ‘time’ by not selling and rebuilding to do one quest at a time, I do them in groups. How they are grouped will determine how much time you can ‘save’. For Vikings, I did not over produce coins , I knew just what I needed for the next cycles to complete and produced that quantity. As I remember (my spreadsheet is not handy) some stockpiling was necessary. I did not get up in the middle of the night, but I did plan so I ran 8-hour cycles while I slept. I found a lot of 4-hour cycles gave me a much better chance at a 4x.

Granted, I am retired so do not have career responsibilities anymore. I can log in as needed to do what was necessary. If I had missed production cycles, I would likely not have completed all of them within the time constraints.

jsc29

No you are not. You had to get up at night and used diamonds. Only thing you are qualified for is telling how not to do it. The way you play every settlement will be a "grind".

Rather than starting a discussion, you should read this.

[/URL]

No it isn't, but if you want to continue your mantra and not learn from others, you are on the right way.

LOL I bet you do not even have any runestones, much less three.

Joeyjojojo

Uh, I went to your city Lord Pest and I saw a maxxed Yggdrasil, but only two Greater Runestones below your Statues of Honor in the lower center. Where is the third?
If you actually did the Vikings when it first released, then you couldn't get 3 max'd just from finishing the settlement. The inital fragment rewards were lower than now, and when they upped them the amount they gave for completed settlements was less than you get today. I had to do 2 or 3 extra to get my 3rd complete, and all but one time finished in gold time: no diamonds spent, no getting up at midnight.

Yes, I created a city on Korch and suffered through the annoying tutorial to check out your city. My home world is Uceria.

It's just not true that you have to get up in the middle of the night. But, what you have to do is be able to have your game open for periods of time and do 5 or 15 minute increments for coins- and I will admit it's still not guaranteed you will hit the fastest time.

I have 4 runestones (feel free to find me on L but one is hidden behind my BG) and never set an alarm to get up in the middle of the night.

However, it was slightly less fun than driving a stake into my foot. Vikings is an awful, terrible, miserable experience.

With the dealer, Japan is a bit easier, but the rewards aren't great. 1 random troop is not very exciting....

I love Egypt!!!! All you need to do is build 2 archer barracks and learn to fight with them and you can finish it with 6+ days left and you only need to do 8 hour builds and 3 fights per day. If you learn to fight with those archers (and it's not rocket science) you do not ever need any buildings that make coins.

I started the Aztecs and I'm waking up in the middle of the night in cold sweats dreading it....it feel like Vikings all over again. But I absolutely have to have that defense bonus for my attacking army so I will grind out the max building and move back to Egypt and never open it up again.

jsc29

It's just not true that you have to get up in the middle of the night. But, what you have to do is be able to have your game open for periods of time and do 5 or 15 minute increments for coins- and I will admit it's still not guaranteed you will hit the fastest time.

I have 4 runestones (feel free to find me on L but one is hidden behind my BG) and never set an alarm to get up in the middle of the night.

However, it was slightly less fun than driving a stake into my foot. Vikings is an awful, terrible, miserable experience.

With the dealer, Japan is a bit easier, but the rewards aren't great. 1 random troop is not very exciting....

I love Egypt!!!! All you need to do is build 2 archer barracks and learn to fight with them and you can finish it with 6+ days left and you only need to do 8 hour builds and 3 fights per day. If you learn to fight with those archers (and it's not rocket science) you do not ever need any buildings that make coins.

I started the Aztecs and I'm waking up in the middle of the night in cold sweats dreading it....it feel like Vikings all over again. But I absolutely have to have that defense bonus for my attacking army so I will grind out the max building and move back to Egypt and never open it up again.

Well, I agree it is a tradeoff. If you want to make up for lost cycles you can do shorter increments on the coins, but then that is annoying doing 5 or 15 minute collections all afternoon. Also, while theoretically, maybe with perfect play you can do Vikings only using 8-hour cycles, but I doubt it. There are many situations where you just need 5 goods to move to the next level and get a new expansion and the earlier you get that expansion, the faster your progress, so those 4-hour cycles are highly desirable. The only problem is when the 4-hour cycle ends at 3am in the morning.

As far as Egypt is concerned, it is much easier and a lot less work. The drawback is that it takes a month to do a level of Egypt, whereas with Vikings once you get going, you do levels every 10 days, which is much faster obviously. I did do one level of Egypt, but to get all 15 levels or whatever would take, what a year or something like that.

Debaser

By the last few settlements I would always finish with 1-2 days left on timer. The 4 time multiplier makes it easier and easier to complete faster with each completed settlement. I do have 3 greater runestones. I followed Foehints guide on youtube. I always started on a day I was free to do 1hr intervals which I admit is super annoying but by the second day id do 4hr 4hr 4h 8hr(bed time) intervals.
Id have to guess that many High end players don't use the greater runestone because you only get 1 attack per 2 squares. Also it's possible some high end players passively play the settlement and don't attempt the timed reward.
The vikings settlement wasn't hard or sleep depriving.

If you are GBG player Id encourage you to do the Aztec settlement. Id skip the timed prize and go for sleep if thats what it comes to.

Last edited:

Lord Pest

Well, I agree it is a tradeoff. If you want to make up for lost cycles you can do shorter increments on the coins, but then that is annoying doing 5 or 15 minute collections all afternoon. Also, while theoretically, maybe with perfect play you can do Vikings only using 8-hour cycles, but I doubt it. There are many situations where you just need 5 goods to move to the next level and get a new expansion and the earlier you get that expansion, the faster your progress, so those 4-hour cycles are highly desirable. The only problem is when the 4-hour cycle ends at 3am in the morning.

As far as Egypt is concerned, it is much easier and a lot less work. The drawback is that it takes a month to do a level of Egypt, whereas with Vikings once you get going, you do levels every 10 days, which is much faster obviously. I did do one level of Egypt, but to get all 15 levels or whatever would take, what a year or something like that.

Egypt only takes 10 or 11 days to do. Easiest Settlement to get the best timed reward. I did 20 Egyptian Settlements and have 5 completed ancient obelisks. Go ahead check my town on Korch.

-Chen-

Lol, I've never gotten up in the middle of the night to play any game, and the minute I do, it'll be time for me to worry about a raging case of OCD.

Working on the first level of Aztec now, and although I hate the random reward style of the merchant, I haven't found it to be all that difficult yet. They really should just make it the same as the Japan merchant though, I don't need a 'game within the game' to keep my attention, and I think it's clearly set up to be a diamond grab IMO.
Didn't like the Viking settlement, but I didn't think it was hard, just tedious to play and look at.
Have done one level of Egypt, and found it somewhat enjoyable, just have to be good with figuring out building placement.
Japan was by far my favorite, and the only one I have fully completed.

The Aztec building looks to be well worth however long it takes, I'll probably circle back to Egypt after I complete that.