• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

When can we stop pretending GBG is balanced?

Lando6

Well it finally happened. My guild finally got different players on this round of GBG. Inno must've changed something in the algorithm.

o LJ o

Is not a cause, it is an effect or a result.

What appears to be a cause, may just be the effect of another cause which is actually the effect of another cause. Hence 'root cause'. There is a simple test to determine if you have dug to the root cause. Just ask why or what. Why must you be a top 800 player or what is the need to be a top 800 player? The need to be in the top, is to join the top guild. That might be the cause. To check test again. Why must you be in the top guild or what is the need? To be in a competitive guild in GBG. Is that the root cause? Test again. Nope still not it. So keep going. When you cannot come up with an answer to the question, then you have reached the bottom, or have found the root cause.

I'm glossing over the fact that you cannot fit 6000 players into 800 spots, nor that you can ever catch up to be in the top 800 making the approach as much irrelevent as impractical and impossible (disregarding players quitting the game, of course)
This is a snake eating its tail. You can never get to the root cause.If you keep asking why and what, it comes back to , to get better rewards, to build GBs and playing power, to be a top player, to be in a top guild, to be in competitive GbG, to get good rewards, to build GBs and playing power, to be a top player, etc. ?????
If the answer to the question was to win the game, you may find it. But thats not really why we like playing GbG is it??? I mean, we play because it's fun when we have good competition and you get rewards too. But mostly, for the rewards.

Lord Pest

This is the worst map I’ve seen since GBG started. One 3 slot tile (A2t) on the entire map. Same map partners so that hasn’t changed for us yet.

Last edited:

The Lady Redneck

I am in one world that is almost exactly the same line up as last season. And another where almost every guild is different and that we have not had before. Wanders off scratching head.

UnStopaBull

Honestly, I think they should implement a change where your home base has 3 sieges at all times. This will allow the weaker guilds a chance to push off from the edge and disrupt the timing of the guilds swapping. With the CF being nerfed, Guilds can't endlessly farms Goods to build SC's every time they take a sector. They may need to strategically build in the future which may make things more interesting.

However, right now it is set-up for the larger Guilds to bully the smaller ones. Every once and awhile you can make a push off the edge to disrupt the map, but with limited attrition left, you are bound to be pushed back to the edge.

If you could avoid alliances, I believe GbG would be a blast. Unfortunately, that is an impossibility and I don't see a quick fix to make it more competitive. I say give home bases some siege power and leave everything else as is.
Strong guilds can build almost unlimited SCs even with the CF nerf.

BpTexas

It's probably an assumption that the guild IDs are based on guild age. Presumably they would have started with #1 for the first guild ID just for simplicity's sake. Only Inno knows when a guild was formed, as far as I know. Unless the original founder/members remember or noted it in their guild profile. (Admittedly, I've never looked for that info, so it may be out there somewhere.)
My understanding of guild ID, is that it changes in relation to other guild achievements. It's clear however, that the current GbG ranking and placement is skewed

Tony 85 the Generous

If you could avoid alliances, I believe GbG would be a blast. Unfortunately, that is an impossibility and I don't see a quick fix to make it more competitive. I say give home bases some siege power and leave everything else as is.
Preventing alliances is not impossible, or at least can be made cumbersomely difficult to form, with two simple changes.
1. Don't post guild names (except your own) on the leader board until GBG closes, which means sectors are not marked guild per guild (only marked yours, not yours, and unclaimed.)
2. Add Fog of War (similar to what you see in GE) so you can only see the adjacent provinces to those that you have captured.

(added sectors for clarity)

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

My understanding of guild ID, is that it changes in relation to other guild achievements. It's clear however, that the current GbG ranking and placement is skewed
That would make no sense at all. Why in any sane company would they think constantly changing ID numbers would be a good idea?

UnStopaBull

Probably because CF didn't get nerfed.
First, I was replying to someone who said nerf , but you always have to be a contrarian so no surprise you pick up on that one part of what I said. Second , if people can’t do something the same way they could before (quest abort limits) it certainly is a nerf. Doesn’t effect most but that’s not really the point.

UnStopaBull

I
Preventing alliances is not impossible, or at least can be made cumbersomely difficult to form, with two simple changes.
1. Don't post guild names (except your own) on the leader board until GBG closes.
2. Add Fog of War (similar to what you see in GE) so you can only see the adjacent provinces to those that you have captured.

in diamond league it would take us 5min to figure out which allies our in our GBG Each season, name or no name , fog or no fog. Simple communication.

Tony 85 the Generous

in diamond league it would take us 5min to figure out which allies our in our GBG Each season, name or no name , fog or no fog. Simple communication.
For clarity, anonymous leaderboard also means anonymous sectors; sectors are marked as yours, someone else's, or unclaimed.

There are no colors on sectors which you can't see any at the start except for the three adjacent to your base and there are multiple diamond maps. You have five minutes after GBG starts to find the other guilds on your map. How do you do it? You have 5 minutes. Go.

Last edited:

Emberguard

There are no colors on sectors which you can't see any at the start except for the three adjacent to your base and there are multiple diamond maps. You have five minutes after GBG starts to find the other guilds on your map. How do you do it? You have 5 minutes. Go.
already did that at the start of GBG without speaking to the opponent.

Communication goes beyond words. Ever heard the saying “actions speak louder then words”? It applies here too. As long as there’s any way to differentiate one opponent from another you don’t need to speak to them to have a alliance that works. You’d only need to be able to read the opponents intentions. As long as you have mutual respect you have a unspoken alliance

Worse yet, everyone already knows the game. If you already know the tactics it’s easier to recognise them. So all players would have to do is learn how to communicate without words. Which would definitely happen once players have no other choice. Necessity would make sure it happens

Tony 85 the Generous

already did that at the start of GBG without speaking to the opponent.

Communication goes beyond words. Ever heard the saying “actions speak louder then words”? It applies here too. As long as there’s any way to differentiate one opponent from another you don’t need to speak to them to have a alliance that works. You’d only need to be able to read the opponents intentions. As long as you have mutual respect you have a unspoken alliance

Worse yet, everyone already knows the game. If you already know the tactics it’s easier to recognise them. So all players would have to do is learn how to communicate without words. Which would definitely happen once players have no other choice. Necessity would make sure it happens
I agree with your assessment with the given condition "as long as there is a way to differentiate one opponent from another" alliances can be formed. What did you use to "differentiate the opponents"? Names? Colors? The guilds must be kept anonymous for the season. In order to achieve anonymity niether are allowed colors or names can be used.

wolfhoundtoo

There aren't that many guilds out there and while it would take some additional work messages could certainly be exchanged with contacts in other guilds that are likely to be in your league. Plus the top of the food chain guilds in GBG tend to be rather noticeable in how they operate which means the number of potential players on the map for that spot is relatively limited.

Emberguard

So you want every opponent to be the exact same colour? So everyone is red or everyone is green? Not just remove names for each colour?

Ok that would make it a little harder. Probably would still be able to work something out. Maybe not to the same extent as now, but all you'd have to do is keep doing what we do now: stop advancing when you're near completion. Read the movements of your opponents where possible. 'Cause thing is you have to have something to show when a province is under attack, by how many guilds and know what your own progress is. So you'll still have a certain amount of derivative info regardless of what you do