• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

How is "Motivation" determind

Algona

If your Pirates hideout isn’t getting motivated you need better friends and guildmates.

You might want to read the thread Agent linked.

The OP posted a similar thread months ago and is still having the same problem, unmotivated SBs.

They either didn't follow the advice given then or still have too many Aid targets compared to the number of Aids received.

The answer they need is to understand the Aid Priority list, figure out how many Aids they average per day, then redesign their city to work with the number of Aids they actually receive.

Too bad the accurate Aids priority list information in this thread is split between two different posters and in three different posts. No one of the posts contains all the information.

The OP stayed in the problem Guild of 30 Guildies, 3/4 of whom didn't Aid a few months ago.

OP does not indicate if they took the previously offered advice about using TH and Social Bar to winnow out non-Aiding Friends or if they expanded their Friends List.

So the solution to their problem is to take advice now they rejected months ago, burn a lot of self and mass motis, getting rid of a bunch of SoKs to match the Aids they do receive, or accept they will have unmotivated SBs.

----------

On a semi related note:

Somebody industrious could write up how the Aid Priority list actually works and add to that how to use the TH to figure out average Aids received per day and how to calculate Aids city needs per day and how to use the TH+Social Bar technique and tips for managing and finding Friends. identifying different uses for Friends list TT targets, self leveler farm, Aid, Tavern, actual Friends, why Friendsimg Guildies is a bad idea, etc.

Pericles the Lion

Somebody industrious could write up how the Aid Priority list actually works and add to that how to use the TH to figure out average Aids received per day and how to calculate Aids city needs per day and how to use the TH+Social Bar technique and tips for managing and finding Friends. identifying different uses for Friends list TT targets, self leveler farm, Aid, Tavern, actual Friends, why Friendsimg Guildies is a bad idea, etc.

I'm not that industrious but, on a city by city basis, this is not difficult. My collections are synchronized and I reviewed the aid history in my TH. In my city, the first 3 buildings to get aided are consistently Suishun Mill, Athlon Abbey, and Mikawa Bridge in that order. My Winter Train is the last fp building to get aided at #39. After the WT gets aided other less important stuff gets aided. For me, the last items to get aided are blacksmiths, Royal Marble Gateways, and Captain's Anchorages (in no particular order) Most days 50+ minor items get aided after my WT so I have a good buffer. I'm not concerned with the order of mo/po, it is whatever INNO says it is. As long as all of my important buildings are getting aided and as long as I have a good buffer I feel pretty good.

Agent327

I'm not that industrious but, on a city by city basis, this is not difficult. My collections are synchronized and I reviewed the aid history in my TH. In my city, the first 3 buildings to get aided are consistently Suishun Mill, Athlon Abbey, and Mikawa Bridge in that order. My Winter Train is the last fp building to get aided at #39. After the WT gets aided other less important stuff gets aided. For me, the last items to get aided are blacksmiths, Royal Marble Gateways, and Captain's Anchorages (in no particular order) Most days 50+ minor items get aided after my WT so I have a good buffer. I'm not concerned with the order of mo/po, it is whatever INNO says it is. As long as all of my important buildings are getting aided and as long as I have a good buffer I feel pretty good.

Again, your Winter Train is not an fp building. It it a residential building that produces coins and only those get doubled when motivated. Fp production is influenced by the level it has, not by motivation, so it is not relevant for aid priority.

The Suishun Mill produces coins in 24 hours, and when it is motivated, its coins production is doubled and all special productions are enabled. Those special productions give it a higher aid priority compared to the Winter Train.

Same goes for Athlon Abby and Mikawa bridge. They need motivation for the special productions to be enabled. That gives them their priority.

Algona

on a city by city basis, this is not difficult.

And yet there are so many questions and misconceptions about Friends from new and established players.

INNO had put a lot o f layers, many undocumented or poorly documented on Friends, an aspect that can be useful for new players.

Might be useful to have an accurate authoritative well written comprehensive Friends Guide for those players.

Or I guess we can keep giving inaccurate confusing contradictory information.

That's worked so well.

Pericles the Lion

Again, your Winter Train is not an fp building. It it a residential building that produces coins and only those get doubled when motivated. Fp production is influenced by the level it has, not by motivation, so it is not relevant for aid priority.

Are you kidding me?? The Winter Train Lvl5 produces 2 fps, how can you say that it "is not an fp building"? Read my darn post again. I DO NOT CARE about the order of motivation. As long as I have enough friends/guildmates/hoodies aiding me then the order of motivation is irrelevant. As I said, my Winter Train appears to be the lowest priority fp producing structure in my city. I disagree with your comment that the WT is "not relevant for aid priority". It most certainly is because it can be plundered. You seem to have tunnel vision regarding motivation, that it's only relevant when it increases production. It's also important in that it prevents plundering.

The Suishun Mill produces coins in 24 hours, and when it is motivated, its coins production is doubled and all special productions are enabled. Those special productions give it a higher aid priority compared to the Winter Train.
Same goes for Athlon Abby and Mikawa bridge. They need motivation for the special productions to be enabled. That gives them their priority.

Thank you Captain Obvious! As I said, my Suishun Mill gets aided first, the Winter Train well down the line. Golly, that means the Suishun/Athlon/Mikawa have higher aid priority than the WT. Who'da thunk it?

The point of my post was to discuss a quick and easy way to determine if a player's city is getting enough aid to boost production (where applicable) and prevent plundering. In my case, I need to be aided 39 times but have been getting aided much more than that. As long as this remains the case the order of motivation is irrelevant to me. It's not something that I need to know to be effective.

Agent327

Are you kidding me?? The Winter Train Lvl5 produces 2 fps, how can you say that it "is not an fp building"? Read my darn post again. I DO NOT CARE about the order of motivation. As long as I have enough friends/guildmates/hoodies aiding me then the order of motivation is irrelevant. As I said, my Winter Train appears to be the lowest priority fp producing structure in my city. I disagree with your comment that the WT is "not relevant for aid priority". It most certainly is because it can be plundered. You seem to have tunnel vision regarding motivation, that it's only relevant when it increases production. It's also important in that it prevents plundering.

And that shows you do not understand how it works. Just because something gives fp's, it does not mean it is an fp building. Winter Train is a residential building and is treated as a residential building. That means no priority when it comes to aiding. While motivation prevents plundering, that does not mean that all buildings that can give fp's will have priority to stop plundering. Aid priority is not brought into the game to stop plundering.

Thank you Captain Obvious! As I said, my Suishun Mill gets aided first, the Winter Train well down the line. Golly, that means the Suishun/Athlon/Mikawa have higher aid priority than the WT. Who'da thunk it?

Obviously not you since you are comparing apples with oranges.

The point of my post was to discuss a quick and easy way to determine if a player's city is getting enough aid to boost production (where applicable) and prevent plundering. In my case, I need to be aided 39 times but have been getting aided much more than that. As long as this remains the case the order of motivation is irrelevant to me. It's not something that I need to know to be effective.

Point of your post is not relevant to the topic. Nobody is asking if the order of motivation is relevant to you. You obviously do not need it to be effective. Good for you, but that was not the question asked here.

wolfhoundtoo

Because the winter train base production is NOT forge points. As such it isn't a forge point production building when considered for motivation purposes (which is the conversation in this thread more or less).

Aethelcatt VIII

There always seems to a measure of randomness in the motivation order beyond the major special buildings. I remember when I had a bunch of regular production buildings from the Building menu, I was always puzzled why the alchemists kept getting motivated before the farm even though the latter is a much better producer and they are from the same era.

panekmi

This thread is >2 years old, but I'll add to it.

We know that "automatic" motivation (from other players) applies to FP-producing buildings first in your city. But I've recently discovered a BIG problem after adding a bunch of Sparkborns (1-2 FPs) to my city. Now, none of the high-FP-producing special buildings (>15 FPs) get motivated like they used to.

The FOE algorithm clearly DOES NOT motivate special buildings first. Instead, it motivates the 1-2 FP buildings first, "using up" all my motivation from other players. This means my special buildings DO NOT produce FPs. Yikes! I consider this a HUGE bug in the FOE motivation order algorithm, and not friendly to any players at all.

Emberguard

This thread is >2 years old, but I'll add to it.

We know that "automatic" motivation (from other players) applies to FP-producing buildings first in your city. But I've recently discovered a BIG problem after adding a bunch of Sparkborns (1-2 FPs) to my city. Now, none of the high-FP-producing special buildings (>15 FPs) get motivated like they used to.

The FOE algorithm clearly DOES NOT motivate special buildings first. Instead, it motivates the 1-2 FP buildings first, "using up" all my motivation from other players. This means my special buildings DO NOT produce FPs. Yikes! I consider this a HUGE bug in the FOE motivation order algorithm, and not friendly to any players at all.
This is the closest I've found to an updated list:

My assumption until proven otherwise is that probably means there's 3 tiers of hierarchy working alongside each other.

Priority number > "If motivated" production > Everything else, highest to lowest age

Ebeondi Asi

I used to be worried about full aid. Not anymore. I also went to event buildings that give aid all fragments (Joyful Nutcracker) and now get one aid all a day from collection. This has allowed me to add any small buildings needing aid I could not add before.
The fact is plain and simple the sizes of Cities has grown a lot the past few years as new Ages are added and more expansions possible, but no additional source of aid from others. Plus too many small event buildings the past year.. Means the only solution is the aid all yourself in the upper Space Ages.
Also a player can see what is actually aided in sequence from looking at the Town Hall history.(rather than endlessly argue about what is supposed to be aided when..LoL)

WillyTwoShoes

I have noticed that when in reconstruction mode and hover the cursor over your buildings, the ones that motivate consistently will display their stats. Buildings that never seem to motivate unless you self aid display no stats at all.

I also took the hint - waited and pounced on the Nutcrackers when they came up on the event daily special.

Xenosaur

We've been beating the table hard for months, in fact - MOST of 2023, that we have a freight train (your city) coming down the track toward an inescapable problem.

With the confluence of multiple, unmistakable factors:

1) Fewer people playing FoE
2) Fewer people caring to motivate others at all or make it a daily or bi/tri daily priority in their game to do so
3) Arrival of the "micro-building" age in FoE, where a large value is given daily, IF it's motivated each day for it
4) No facilities or offering from Inno (up to now) to deal constructively with the shortfall, further scuttling a majority of players
5) Motivation order/priority for auto-aids is not now representing a fair way to blend into Inno's new event deliverables

For most of this year, 2023, I have not had my city fully motivated each day by the big 3 (friends, hoodies, guildies...) and needed to solve this myself. I quickly burned through hundreds of self-aids, and saw that a path to self-sufficiency and SALVATION could only be achieved by carefully managing my mass self-aid stock, while using BG doubles for the same duration on my Nutcrackers and Ketebo because I had to race to get my city from a collision with daily lower production, and inefficiency.

In fact some quick math - I would need 500 or 600 people to aid my city, each day, even with a 50% probability of giving me a M/P (so 250-300 aids/day) to get a complete city aid package. True, I don't need aid on some thing, but I can't direct the aids I get away from them. The priority Inno has set up appears broken to be helpful, but hey - when my city is collected, one thing rings true each day:

The very first building without fail, that gets re-aided after a daily collection is my Ketebo! Hurray for voting that always #1.

I don't mind a challenge, and the problem is FULLY solved now as a result of the 2023 Winter event. I was going to get there "clean and neat" anyway, but the Winter event gets me there faster.

So...for me, the pressure is off now...

But for others - there is little time left remaining to solve it - but only if you knew you had it! Meaning - read the forums, talked to game-smart people or those were really plugged into how your city operates. Weekend warriors don't care, nor do PURE build menu players.

Yes, it's clear that people saw this early too, and BOUGHT multiple Ketebo or Ted building last winter, to build Nutcrackers faster.
But the train's been barreling down the track called "city doomsday" for a while now, and there are going to be a lot of people that wake up to their city and say - WTF ... why isn't this building getting any Love? How do I fix it?

And they'll be stranded on the island of despair because they MISSED this Important opportunity to get what they need before the STORM really bears down in 2024 (or even now).

And then - throw in the towel more, or FULLY - at the silly decisions to stealthily strand people like this without any other facility to make or get MASS self-aid kits or fragments other than the Nutcracker.

One thing for sure as well, Friends lists are going to shrink - bigtime. I don't need friends anymore if I"m self-aiding my city, en masse, every day unless they represent an investment opportunity - for me, or for them.

This destroy what little social structure the game had by having lots of friends.

Last edited:

Ebeondi Asi

This destroy what little social structure the game had by having lots of friends.
untrue. There are lots of reasons to have Friends. In particular to take part in cross Guild 1.9 type threads. I avoided them in the past because having both use of 1.9 outside Guild and aiding was hard to accomplish. Now I do not need to worry and can just take on as Friends players active in those kinds of threads.
And for snipers, having a lot of Friends who enjoy getting sniped! matters to them. half of their Friends may be such players.

Xenosaur

untrue. There are lots of reasons to have Friends. In particular to take part in cross Guild 1.9 type threads. I avoided them in the past because having both use of 1.9 outside Guild and aiding was hard to accomplish. Now I do not need to worry and can just take on as Friends players active in those kinds of threads.
And for snipers, having a lot of Friends who enjoy getting sniped! matters to them. half of their Friends may be such players.

WRONG .... There are NO reasons to have friends other than GB INVESTMENT (what you call "cross guild 1.9 type threads") and aiding). Maybe you missed me saying that, or don't equate "putting FP on someone's building" as an INVESTMENT. But I did say that...

People you SNIPE who are friend falls UNDER the investment premise, too.

:eek: Possibly - a small additional item friends can do, that no other "class" (random player, guildmate or hoodie) does: Sit in your tavern. I did omit that...

My comment you're concerned about is that people treat the FoE Friends list like a Facebook friends list. (This destroy what little social structure the game had by having lots of friends.)

N o n e. Friends net down to aiding, tavern sitting and: unlocking INVESTMENT OF FP to other people (not in the hood, or guild)

You can communicate with anyone, add them to topics without any standard affiliation status/attributes. They're called "other".

The basic design of the game allows friends to access your GB, and you to access theirs. Hoodies can do that naturally for the weeks they're in your hood, and guildmates can do that naturally too, core DNA of the game.

That's my point. If you don't need aids from others, NO FRIENDS is fine - although that historically was a big BIG chunk of social status too - but foundational to the game design around aiding.

Once you MASS aid your own city, you can drop anyone you like if you don't help them lift their buildings, and they don't help you, and you don't need or use tavern silver for anything.

They are (become) superfluous.

Last edited:

Xenosaur

Well, until you get an event quest to sit in Taverns. ;)

Yes, Jon. A chink in the "no friends at all" armor... Has a design solution, (multiple).

I'm re-balancing my design for friends list based solely on investing. Frankly, it's always had a "bent" to investing, vs aiding, but I aided in a quid pro quo design. That's not happening anymore either. I aid people all week, and nada back. They do ask me for investment help, so I put up with it.

NO longer... now?

For me, I am telling people - don't expect aids from me, and I won't need any from you either.

---> SO if you want to be my friend, I *may aid you*, I *may sit in your tavern*, but I certainly WILL help you when you're in the 1.9x topics we share.

If that's ok with you and your priority too - and you accept that design - sure - let's friend up.

So... if one is truly going purely on investment design alone (no friends will be aided, no aid needed, either...) then the ones that are in your list for that reason, get the tavern sits too, and I cover all the bases I need, with none of the baggage I want.

Last edited:

Pericles the Lion

Yes, Jon. A chink in the "no friends at all" armor... Has a design solution, (multiple).

I'm re-balancing my design for friends list based solely on investing. Frankly, it's always had a "bent" to investing, vs aiding, but I aided in a quid pro quo design. That's not happening anymore either. I aid people all week, and nada back. They do ask me for investment help, so I put up with it.

NO longer... now?

For me, I am telling people - don't expect aids from me, and I won't need any from you either.

---> SO if you want to be my friend, I *may aid you*, I *may sit in your tavern*, but I certainly WILL help you when you're in the 1.9x topics we share.

If that's ok with you and your priority too - and you accept that design - sure - let's friend up.

So... if one is truly going purely on investment design alone (no friends will be aided, no aid needed, either...) then the ones that are in your list for that reason, get the tavern sits too, and I cover all the bases I need, with none of the baggage I want.
My main city friends list has been built on an "investment model" for over two years. It got my ARC to 180 fast as well as a host of other GBs well over 100. However, I have, and will continue, to aid everyday because I've built Seed Vaults in all of my cities. I don't care if my "friends" aid me, or not. Mass Self Aid items take care of that piece of the puzzle. I also visit taverns regularly using City Hall history as I presume friends do also. I don't care about collecting tavern silver but I do care about being able to complete the many "collect X amount of tavern silver" quests that we get. The "visit x taverns" quests are easy but the collect silver ones become problematic in the absence of an active group of friends.