• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Good Job Inno

Darkest.Knight

With the changes made more recently I'm now able to use most of my excesses, easy to burn up medals in tower, always spend my gold on fps and use a lot of goods negotiating for castle rewards and battleground negotiations. I still have a lot of extra goods. Since my buildings generate large numbers of goods daily it would be nice if they found another use for them. But, not complaining since it has improved in general

Jern2017

With the changes made more recently I'm now able to use most of my excesses, easy to burn up medals in tower, always spend my gold on fps and use a lot of goods negotiating for castle rewards and battleground negotiations. I still have a lot of extra goods. Since my buildings generate large numbers of goods daily it would be nice if they found another use for them. But, not complaining since it has improved in general

If you have an excess of any resource (FPs, units, goods...), it's one of the clearest indicators you're a strong player.

There's already plenty of uses for goods. Negotiating in the Guild Expedition and GBG, donations to your guild's treasury, helping lower age friends or guildmates by taking unfair trades...

If you really feel you're producing more goods than you need, perhaps try evaluating your city - could it be you're lacking in other parts of the game, like running short on the number of your units, losing battles due to a low military boost...? Or maybe you want to increase the amount of FPs you generate daily?

If perhaps that's the case, you could get rid of some goods producing buildings and replace them with buildings that give you other resources or boosts.

Johnny B. Goode

If you have an excess of any resource (FPs, units, goods...), it's one of the clearest indicators you're a strong player.
I rarely disagree with anything you post, but this is no longer true. Used to be. Not any more. Game has changed too much. Odds are it is an indicator that the player is a member of a guild that is really good at gaming GBG. Or a guild that basically gives their players high level GBs. Or it could mean they have a high level CF and loop RQs. Or they're beneficiaries of a guild with a very active 1.9 thread. Any number of ways an average (or worse) player could end up with an excess of pretty much anything. None of these translate into "strong player" in my book.

Darkest.Knight

It's not mentioned much but what's worthwhile depends on where ur at along the story questline and what u consider to be winning in this game. From beginning to end it changes. I've always viewed rank as the indicator for my performance, I've been satisfied since I've steadily moved up. After finishing story questline it was not possible to move up the ranks w/o fighting, all the top ranked players r fighters. I'm quite certain i'll never get to #1 since I'll never do enough fights. I'm at 225 and slowly moving up on 224, last guy I passed resisted and has been doing a lot of fights/day. It's getting increasingly more difficult to move up. I've played for 3yrs7mos, it's pretty hard to catch up to someone who started early.

Guilds were mentioned, I played a solo guild until recently. expanded to 5 members, all r pretty low lvl. I still am the guild; I do more fights than the other 4 combined. My guild rank jumps around quite a lot going back and forth from platinum to diamond league, since I finished questline i've lvl'd my attack buildings up and gain ok # of game pts from the battlegrounds; able to do about 120 fights/day now. I do GvG, it doesn't consume enough to even notice.

Used to always be short on gold or supplies, that abruptly changed and with addition of extra event buildings purchased from the market went to a real excess, no complaints. I've never been short on goods or BP's, put up goods buildings and goods GB's early, had room w/only a couple of GB's and found a couple of big dogs to add to last spot for BP's. Had a couple of Shrines of Inspiration for probably 2 yrs, extra 700+BP's. Removed 5 GB's so far, considering removing another. I put up extra military buildings, built 12 Dojo Temples, built Royal Bathhouse, and completed all of the settlements for the emissaries. Had enough units to get thru storyline at that time w/o Alc, was a couple of eras ago, eventually built Alc, lvl75 is good for now.

I've ignored an area that is all important to many players, GB's lvls. I waited to even consider GB's standings, I look at top lvls a bit more now. Although 100 CD is getting there it's nowhere close to the top (149 for Sinerania). It's funny that my SMB is relatively high at 102, not a very popular building, but I've indirectly received more FP's from coin purchases than ahy other GB directly; SMB was quick to lvl up and it's pretty easy to get a high coin buff. Currently at 1236% coin buff and produce about 320M coin/day, been buying 120+fps/day for quite a while, purchased 48K FP's so far. lol, I get thru the gold collection quests really fast, just a couple of buildings, 7.6M/coin from Eagle Mountain w/o BG doubling.

I'll make some more changes after I lvl up my FP and attack buildings, I'll eventually remove gold buff items and replace w/something else. It's really slow go get descent items to replace what I'm using. I still have 9 Terrace Farms to switch, lol, down from 12. The Dojo Temples will also go along w/botanical gardens. Few others that have better replacements available.

One thing stands when I consider OP, being a farmer gave me a huge advantage over anyone that does not collect many diamonds. My town has been pretty much expanded to max for a long time, extra room makes it so much easier. My mining towns r shrimps and don't have a lot except for WW's, I do a bare minimum and continue along questline, have 452 diamonds coming up soon, just have to get there, lol.

Jern2017

I rarely disagree with anything you post, but this is no longer true. Used to be. Not any more. Game has changed too much. Odds are it is an indicator that the player is a member of a guild that is really good at gaming GBG. Or a guild that basically gives their players high level GBs. Or it could mean they have a high level CF and loop RQs. Or they're beneficiaries of a guild with a very active 1.9 thread. Any number of ways an average (or worse) player could end up with an excess of pretty much anything. None of these translate into "strong player" in my book.

Oh, this is purely my own, very subjective opinion. Someone having high level GBs, whether it's a farming oriented player (CF, SC, BG...) or a fighter (military GBs), is definitely tied to that player being in a high level guild or an active 1.9 thread, but I see such players as being strong. As soon as someone starts having an excess of the more important resources, like FPs, units or goods, they are no longer a weak player scraping for resources. As I said, it's one of the indicators, not the most important and only one.

Johnny B. Goode

As somebody who helps in managing the guild treasury, anybody who produces more than 3k guild goods from city collection is a strong player.
That's an even worse definition of a "strong player". You'd just need to be in a good guild and prioritize that one area to meet that criteria. That's the whole problem with any one player's definition of a "strong player", it is totally skewed by their own perspective on the game. To put this in my perspective, I don't consider myself a "strong player", mostly because I play casually and don't care for the ages above FE.

I don't think there can be a definition of a strong player anymore in FoE, mainly because they have made it so even a mediocre player can appear strong just by being in a decent guild and putting time in. Someone can fit another player's definition of a "strong player" without having a clue how to play the game on their own.

If I were to put forth a definition of a "strong player", it would have to include being able to fight manually at every level of the game. That eliminates about 99.9% of the player base right off the bat. Add in being able to manage three or more worlds. That takes care of probably half of the .1%. Then add that they have to achieve a level 80 Arc without the benefit of a large guild and 1.9 threads. (That last one I have accomplished on two of my worlds. Although it just takes time and the willingness to throw all your FP at it for a while and not worry about who profits off of it.)

Long story short, the changes made to FoE in the last 7 years make it impossible to tell the difference between a strong player and a mediocre one. A strong player who avoids large guilds would look less strong than a mediocre player who stumbled upon a top guild spot.

Graviton

Since strong is a relative term it's pointless to debate its definition. Johnny's definition eliminates 99.9% of players for some odd reason. Somebody else could move that arbitrary line to 75%, or even 50%. Strong compared to what? If you're generating a plethora of resources then you're strong compared to players who don't. If you win a lot of battles you're strong compared to a player who doesn't. It's pretty pointless as a topic.

Johnny B. Goode

It's pretty pointless as a topic.
That was my point. I frequently take the long way round. The point is that there is no possibility of defining a "strong player" anymore. There are so many shortcuts and so much power creep that there is no way to look at a player's resources or stats and have any idea if he's a "strong player" or not.

Graviton

That was my point. I frequently take the long way round. The point is that there is no possibility of defining a "strong player" anymore. There are so many shortcuts and so much power creep that there is no way to look at a player's resources or stats and have any idea if he's a "strong player" or not.

That's not the same point I made. Your point is that the methodology used to fit someone into your definition of strong is no longer valid. I'm saying there is no objective definition of "strong" to begin with.

Good thing then that it isn't the topic.

And yet that's what people have been discussing for the last few posts. So I guess it depends on how one defines "topic". ;)

Johnny B. Goode

That's not the same point I made. Your point is that the methodology used to fit someone into your definition of strong is no longer valid. I'm saying there is no objective definition of "strong" to begin with.
Then we agree that there is now not objective definition of a "strong" player. Whether there ever was is beside the point. The post I was responding to stated that there was a way to tell if someone was a strong player. We both, apparently, agree that this is not true.

Darkest.Knight

It is generally accepted that the strongest players are the highest ranking, to contradict what the gaming community agrees upon makes zero sense. What's more objective than numerical rank? lol, your words?

Johnny B. Goode

It is generally accepted that the strongest players are the highest ranking, to contradict what the gaming community agrees upon makes zero sense. What's more objective than numerical rank? lol, your words?
That is the last criteria that any experienced player would use. Apparently you don't realize how artificially inflated many of those are from countless repetitive GvG/GBG battles against little or no opposition. (Meaning low to zero boosts.) Not to mention that all you have to do is be in a good guild nowadays and you're sure to have multiple high level GBs through almost no effort of your own. Then let's talk about the "endless goods" people brag about getting from those countless GBG battles that can then be donated to the guild Treasury for more meaningless ranking points. No, ranking points no longer mean anything as far as the player's abilities and/or knowledge of the game are concerned.

Incidentally, it is not "generally accepted", except by you.

Just An Observer

Being focused on GBG for me means a strong player is one who can finish in the top ten of a Big Dog guild on a regular basis. Since there are many ways to skin the FoE cat, there are also many ways to be seen as a strong player. I find the players who can do TinyTown cities to be very strong at space utilization. A few are major retail goods dealers so they are very strong at being merchants. It is interesting to see the variety present in FoE.