• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for Update 1.61

• Thread starter DeletedUser4770
  • Start date

DeletedUser2355

This is an ever constant thing that will happen for every single message created now. Can you leave the conversation? Of course you can, but that's not the point... the fact that you have to in order to avoid it IS. And while thats great that you are enjoying it others shouldn't have to "tough it out" because joe random cleans his inbox, making jane random clean theirs, then 8 others. Its something that quite frankly doesn't need to exist in the first place so its a valid complaint and not wanting a cake and eating it too...

The player Qaccy isn't even in a guild Playerlib. Probably gets a message a day.

DeletedUser

How do you enter a Title for your message ?

When you send a message to more than one person a box pops up above where you write the message called 'Enter Group Name'. That is the message title. It is not possible to have a title for a message to a single person because in this new system messages between two people are merged into a single conversation as opposed to having multiple messages.

DeletedUser23444

I usually just lurk on the forums for this game. But I just had to register to give feedback to this latest game update. I have officially seen everything now. :rolleyes:

Email, and other closely related message systems, have been around in one form or the other since the early 1980's (maybe even earlier), but long before the web or smartphones. I bet I have personally had over 50 different email accounts between various: schools, jobs, hobbies, games, web sites, list servers, BBS chat boards, and so on. So I just want to congratulate Inno Games to be the first software developers ever in the history of messaging to build a messaging system that comes complete with its very own self-generated SPAM. What mail or message system would be complete without its own built-in spam message subsystem that sends you a 100% completely irrelevant and unwanted message every single time one of your 80 guild members tries to delete a guild-wide message from their inbox? How did we every survive without this annoyance...err I mean new feature?

And let us not forget that it is not actually "delete" but "leave". This is despite 100% of anyone who has every used any kind of electronic messaging system anywhere before playing FoE being completely used to the concept of deleting a message they no longer wish to retain in their inbox. Oh wait ... yeah that's right it is not actually an "Inbox", but rather it is a clusterfudge of an identity-crisis, a ization of an inbox/outbox.

Software Engineering and system design is supposed to start with gathering reasonable user requirements, and end with field testing, and user acceptance. Reading just a few replies on this forum topic easily indicates that the developers at Inno Games should ask for a full refund on the software engineering degrees. Beta users obviously raised prudent issues, which were ignored. And now the rest of us regular users are punished with a bunch of "new innovations" that really should be filed under "if it ain't broken, don't fix it!".

Messaging systems have been around now for more than 3 solid decades, and their are very goods reasons for the old tried and true constructs

• It is called a freaking "subject" or a "topic", not a "group". A "subject" or a "topic" is a generalized, short summary of what people in the conversation are talking about, while a "group" is the collection of people who are talking (or listening) in the conversation.

• Users delete messages in order to remove remnants of an asynchronous conversation they no longer care about and to simplify the process of locating other remnants of asynchronous conversations they do care about. Users do not leave an asynchronous conversation, they leave synchronous conversations like interactive chat rooms or channels.

• No one else in the entire universe cares, or should care, when any user any where in the world deletes a message to clean up list of messages they want to manage. If 80 guild members each delete 1 guild-wide message under this new message system, a total of 3,160 "so-and-so left the conversation" messages are generated in the collective inboxes (which are not actually inboxes) of all guild members that have yet to leave the conversation. Meaning the first person to leave generates 79 messages that need to be read (one each by th eother 79 guild members), the next erson to leave generates 78, and so on down to when the second to the last person decides to leave the conversation.

You do require college-level education to design game updates don't you?

DeletedUser15276

albert einstein would not be pleased with the new message system , just sayin LOL

- - - Updated - - -

please bring the old one back and nobody will ever complain about it again LOL

DeletedUser10806

We would like to hear what you have to say about Update 1.61. Please place your thoughts and comments here.

Thank you!
Your Forge of Empires Team
Are you happy with the feedback? Are you reading it?

DeletedUser7289

I'm usually not one to complain (I do know it's just a game), but this really is ridiculous! I don't need to know if someone in my guild "left the conversation", nor does everyone else. If they weren't interested/involved in the message topic, fine; just delete it. But now we're all buried in "(player X) left the conversation" messages. This is becoming a real problem when you have a large guild with many activities going on at any given time. When I login I have 6 pages of 'new' messages, 95% of which are "left the conversation". How am I supposed to (for example) find and answer a legitimate question a guild member may have?
I'll agree with Cosmic Raven; I've been communicating by computer since long before the 'internet' was invented, back in the old BBS days, and this is by far the worst system I've ever seen.

DeletedUser

new message system sucks get rid of it

We would like to hear what you have to say about Update 1.61. Please place your thoughts and comments here.

Thank you!

your new message system is horrible

DeletedUser12921

I left my guild on beta until the spam problem is fixed. I don't expect to be returning to my mates from around the world anytime soon. The beta-testers did their job. We pointed out the serious flaws in the new message system. The beta-mods, beta-admin, and even the beta community manager were in complete agreement. We worked together to list the most important fixes required to make the new message system functional. I made a commitment never to buy diamonds again if we were ignored and this fubar system was rushed to the servers world wide. I will keep my commitment. I implore everyone to do the same. Please stop rewarding such arrogance and incompetence.

DeletedUser23447

I WANT BACK my MESSAGE BOX!!! There was nothing wrong with the previous one. At least I knew whom am I talking to! THis piece of crap is just the crap. I am not going to use it. Shifting through pages of emails? Really? I can do that at work. No need to come here. Terrible design and whoever decided to upgrade to this crap should use it for the rest of his life.

Loadedwilly

Thank you for the new email feature that allows us to send an email to all guild members and then add others like our members visiting another guild. This makes FoE emails more like gmail or yahoo and that's a good thing.

Please add a delete feature that does not tell everyone who has left the email. Please stop the "Leave" feature and the report to the group that so and so has left the group. Please restore the old FoE feature that sent the email thread to the original recipients when another email is posted to the thread even those who deleted it. Again these changes make FoE emails more like gmail or yahoo, and that's a good thing.

As the FoE emails stand, my guild is struggling to cope with the leave notifications and inability to send additional comments to those who have left a thread. Features that are foreign to gmail and yahoo, and that's a bad thing.

The issue of communication is very important to this game. Unhappiness with the new system is widespread and significant.

Thank you for the opportunity to share my insights.

Last edited:

DeletedUser8115

Thank you!

I think the consensus is in, Pan. Beta players pointed out the 800 lb elephant in the room. Absolutely nothing was done to remedy the issue. I'm not sure why we even bother, if this is how it goes.

DeletedUser9681

Umm, it is too brite, it hurts my eyes. I do not like the messages coming back after I have left the conversation, because someone else left the conversation. You must be in the message to delete and what a pain, to find out who the note is to. I do not need to know, when someone deletes a message, can you fix that? All in all, a pretty bad update. And I just scratched the surface. Sorry guys, back to the drawing board!!!

DeletedUser12397

I love the new messaging area, so much clearer and easy to use.

My only suggestions would be:

Allow for customization of font size and color as well as background color since so many are complaining. As someone who has struggled for some time reading the light colored lettering on the darker background, this new change is wonderful for me.

Also.. please find a place to tuck a delete message button for all of those who are freaking out over the leave conversation deal.

It would also be really cool if we could save selected messages in a folder for longer storage than 60 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8809

This new msg system must be the biggest failure since you tried to move the reset time Inno.
Nobody liked it in Beta, what made you think we would like it here?
NO NO NO NO NO to the new msg system

DeletedUser9404

The new message system is too bright, and a strain on the eyes. Who is responsible for this new system, say no to drugs.

DeletedUser15482

I do not know a single player that "likes" this messaging update. It really is bad!

qaccy

The player Qaccy isn't even in a guild Playerlib. Probably gets a message a day.

If you pay attention to my profile, you'll notice what server I'm actually on. :) I deal with many more than just 'a message a day', and I much prefer the new system to the old one. Only 4 messages per page, messages frequently being lost for who knows what reason (particularly 1:1 messages), and being unable to permanently delete a thread that you were not interested in seeing (endless FP threads being the main example here) were all huge flaws with the old system that have either been improved upon or removed with this update. And if those didn't bother you, why does this system bother you?

This is all just needless whining for the sake of whining and/or hating change. People complained when the aid button was implemented as well (omg, my decorations are being polished and Inno sucks for implementing this!) Inno should have instead just completely purged messages completely and made everyone start their threads over with the launch of the new system; it would have been much more well-received since there would have been no residual effects caused by old leftover messages being converted. Seriously, all of the complaints I'm seeing are stemming from people spam-leaving messages from BEFORE this system was even added in.

DeletedUser23449

New Message System

In a word, "HORRID". You cannot get rid of messages even if you leave them. Then the more people that try to get rid of it the more messages you get.
Only a Avatar no name.
Bright back ground glares back at you. To bright do not like it at all.
The system was not broken so why was an update needed????