• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Hagia Sofia. How great really is?

DeletedUser

I got all the blueprints for Hagia Sofia without even chasing them - yay!!! (or not) - and now I'm facing the

dilemma whether to built it or not...

I heard players in the past saying that it's not such a great building after all and now that I'm in the position to

built it I don't know if I want to. I see the fp that gives but I also see the space it will take (7x6).... I'm thinking

that of course I can delete some cultural buildings but not so many since you cannot polish a great building and

double its happiness.

Do you love or hate that building? Please discuss

Also which GBs you prefer for early eras?

ITown

I don't hate it but I don't love it either.

It's too big to build in the early middle ages but in the later ages nobody donates to it

overall i give it 4/10
where Alcatraz is 10/10 and Space Needle is 1/10

DeletedUser8428

I love my Hagia. My experience is not like iTown - My Hagia is level 10, on its way to level 11 as contributions are current. I don't expect it to get much higher than that - rewards don't escalate enough in the upper levels. Will still keep it, I love the building itself. One of the prettiest of the GB for me. And the real thing is a knockout.

DeletedUser18177

I believe that the Hagia is as great as you make it. After it produces 11-12 fp, it is one big shrine that gives a little happiness. It can't be plundered so thats a plus. You have to take near level 20 for it to be worth the label "great".

DeletedUser13452

Hagia is one of my staples in all worlds. I like to have Zeus, CoA, St. Mark's, Castel del Monte, and Hagia by the time I reach LMA. It's also nice to have the LoA and Babel, though many players don't build Babel. I think it's under-rated. Having only level 7 babel while in CE, it produces 24 PrE goods per day. 4X4 footprint is 16 squares and the smallest goods building for that age is 18 squares. I would have to collect 3 times per day to beat that babel and use up 2 more squares, or build two tinning plants. If I were to level it some more, even better.
Anyway, I recommend the Hagia. :)

ITown

I've built it on about every world I've played seriously, and I've never gotten it past level 5 or 6 without putting a considerable number of my own forge points into it.

implied in that statement: I build it on every world, so it's probably worth building. I don't generally have space for it in my city until I'm in LMA though.

DeletedUser10415

I've built it in 5 out of my 6 cites. I lack the prints in one city, and have 6 marketplaces there instead. While it's true it cannot be polished, it can be leveled up, which increases it's happiness output. A level 2 Hagia provides 1900 happiness. 6 marketplaces, unpolished, provides 2040. As it's my preference not to depend on polishing for enthusiastic productivity, I'd rather have a level 2 Hagia than 6 marketplaces, since those marketplaces eat up aiding actions that could have motivated production otherwise. Plus, Hagia gives me FPs - the #1 currency in the game. As with all GBs, it comes down to playstyle. If I were the type to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars real money on shrines of knowledge and premium happiness buildings, Hagia wouldn't be attractive to me at all, but I'm no whale.

DeletedUser

Hagia Sofia it is!
Mission for today: Reconstructing the city. Good times!
Thanks for your answers guys!

I do have one more question though. I was searching the forum for a GBs analysis and I fell into broken links. Is there a guide around in an area that I failed to look?

DeletedUser23123

Hagia Sofia it is!

I do have one more question though. I was searching the forum for a GBs analysis and I fell into broken links. Is there a guide around in an area that I failed to look?
Try ---- http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Forge_of_Empires_Wiki
My favorite place. It will tell you what each level will provide.

DeletedUser10517

I like the Hagia....and my guild all seem to like it too, as we have a lot.

Ours are all getting to be high levels too.....but then we are dedicated to 6 or 7 different GB Clubs and 3 Endless Chains......and all our GBs in guild are levelling very fast.

In order for any GB to level, there needs to be some teamwork with guildmates......putting fps into your own buildings is a waste.

DeletedUser13452

Hagia Sofia it is!

I like the wiki guide best. Try that link that shrek posted. :)
When you land there, use the contents tab to get to 'buildings', then 'great buildings'.
One more thing...I never had any problem getting my Hagia to level 10. Just a curious note since others are saying they have.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hagia has found its place in my city. Thanks for the wiki recommendation guys. I've already been using that but I was looking for something with a little bit more of analysis. I've found an interesting thread in the english forum though. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link here in case anyone is interested.

DeletedUser8152

You can post links to Inno forums.

Here's my thoughts:
It takes quite a long time for the FP production to 'pay back' what you put into it. But if you plan to play for a while, it eventually will, and then it's a pretty good investment. In the meantime, the happiness isn't bad, and justifies some of the space used. It was more competitive before they changed aid, since now you should have all your regular culturals constantly polished. The happiness is only good at level 10 though, so if you build it you should commit to leveling it pretty quickly.

Like other people, I'd put it in the middle. It's a reasonable one to build, but also a reasonable one to skip.

DeletedUser8152

Do note that was writen three years ago, before many of the higher ages were introduced (which made the happiness benefit more valuable then), before aid (ditto), and before unlocking GBs (which makes FP more valuable now). So some of his arguments would need revision. But the statement that the Hagia is better than the Colloseum stands, I'd say :)

DeletedUser

The discussion still goes on and I think it's good for a new player if he wants to get a general idea how GBs really work. No?
I liked the part at the last page where a player calculates what GBs top players have built and makes a list.
No one has built Colloseum hah.
And Hagia stands up in the middle as you said.

DeletedUser14522

I got all the blueprints for Hagia Sofia without even chasing them - yay!!! (or not) - and now I'm facing the

dilemma whether to built it or not...

I heard players in the past saying that it's not such a great building after all and now that I'm in the position to

built it I don't know if I want to. I see the fp that gives but I also see the space it will take (7x6).... I'm thinking

that of course I can delete some cultural buildings but not so many since you cannot polish a great building and

double its happiness.

Do you love or hate that building? Please discuss

Also which GBs you prefer for early eras?
Hagia Sophia is one of the most important buildings in the game - if not the most important.
(Unless you are buying diamonds and premium cultural buildings to make up for not having the happiness that Hagia provides - in fact if you buy a lot of diamonds don't bother asking the question - who ever the top point getter is on your server probably is a good model for buying stuff.)
I have 5 cities 4 of them I have had for a year. Most people who don't have Hagia Sophia waste space with cultural buildings. With Hagia the Fps are the gravy ... the happiness is the meat and potatoes.
In my newest city Hagia Sophia is the 1st building that I am chasing - for the Happiness - I want to get rid of the junk cultural buildings so that I can have barracks, production buildings and houses.
Anyone who says Hagia Sophia is not so great - is probably wresting with the basics of building a city - which is providing so much happiness that you never have to use the junk that only provides happiness.

DeletedUser10415

The discussion still goes on and I think it's good for a new player if he wants to get a general idea how GBs really work. No?
I liked the part at the last page where a player calculates what GBs top players have built and makes a list.
No one has built Colloseum hah.
And Hagia stands up in the middle as you said.

I built the Colosseum in my first city, and then tore it down at level 8 in Colonial Age. In my subsequent 6 additional cities, I have BPs several times over for it, but will never build it again. I also tore down a Capitol. Notre Lame never looked good enough to build. Now that I'm in Future Era with my first city, Hagia's happiness isn't holding up so well vs. cultural buildings of that age, and I may tear it down eventually too, but only to make room for Shrines of Knowledge. Right up until FE though, Hagia holds it's own in the happiness department.

DeletedUser10517

There are people in my guild who have ignored all cries of "Dont build the Notre Dame"........only to then tear it down a few days or weeks later.
What a waste of guild forge points!!

Its as though people get a full set of prints and they MUST put the building up.....just because they can............like an itch they have to scratch!

The same advice is given for the Colly and the Capitol, but people ignore it.

I just dont get why anyone would pour fps into a Capitol when they need houses anyway. Doesnt make much sense to me.