• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

0.5 to 2.0 goods trading limits

Pericles the Lion

I am trying to understand the logic behind INNO's limits on trading goods in the market. The general rule-of-thumb is 2:1 when trading a good for an higher age good, 1:1 when trading same age goods, and 1:2 when trading a good for a lower age good. This range complies with INNO's rules. What I don't understand is this....I am able to post a 10:15 downtrade offering 10 goods in exchange for 15 lower age goods. However, I cannot post an uptrade offering 10 goods in exchange for 4 upper era goods. Both options are examples of trades that benefit the recipient more than the standard 10:5 rate. I'm interested in posting trades offering rates that are more favorable than normal and can do it trading down but not trading up. Can anyone explain? Is there a workaround?

Kranyar the Mysterious

The rules were created in a different time, when goods had a completely different value than is placed on them now.

Have you ever used a trade calculator to determine the value of goods based on actually producing goods from unrefined goods? Nobody that I know of does anymore, but such things used to be commonplace.

Goth Almighty

@Kranyar, excuse me, but what is your point? I don't understand your post's relevance to the OP's question, which I don't have an answer for either.

wolfhoundtoo

I am trying to understand the logic behind INNO's limits on trading goods in the market. The general rule-of-thumb is 2:1 when trading a good for an higher age good, 1:1 when trading same age goods, and 1:2 when trading a good for a lower age good. This range complies with INNO's rules. What I don't understand is this....I am able to post a 10:15 downtrade offering 10 goods in exchange for 15 lower age goods. However, I cannot post an uptrade offering 10 goods in exchange for 4 upper era goods. Both options are examples of trades that benefit the recipient more than the standard 10:5 rate. I'm interested in posting trades offering rates that are more favorable than normal and can do it trading down but not trading up. Can anyone explain? Is there a workaround?

There is no work around. You might get a bunch of theories as to why Inno set it as they did but frankly it doesn't matter. You don't need to understand why it was set that way to understand that the rules are what they are currently.

Ebeondi Asi

The odd part is you can skip Eras and offer 2 to 1 that normally would be 4 to 1. or 8 to 1 or 16 to one. Players trade VF goods at 2 for 1 in exchange ofr Bronze age goods. no problem. So IMO the rate of exchange is really very open. just not infinitely so. If you want to get creative, you can actually trade any amount for any other, just you might need a bit of back and forth in extra trading. I have traded and gave back the Goods I got and vise versa. so one partner got them all.

Johnny B. Goode

When I started playing this game 6 years ago, trading was one of the most important game mechanisms. Now? Not so much. Event buildings and hyper leveled GBs have pretty much negated the importance of trading for everyday needs. If you're dependent on trading for your city's needs, then you're behind the times. Trading for players who are up on the current game conditions is mostly for building higher era GBs on one side and selling higher era goods on the other side. I occasionally will pick up regular trades to fulfill an event quest or DC challenge, but never for city needs. Therefore, the trading ratio restrictions are pretty much irrelevant to a lot of players, especially the experienced or highly active ones.

Pericles the Lion

When I started playing this game 6 years ago, trading was one of the most important game mechanisms. Now? Not so much. Event buildings and hyper leveled GBs have pretty much negated the importance of trading for everyday needs. If you're dependent on trading for your city's needs, then you're behind the times. Trading for players who are up on the current game conditions is mostly for building higher era GBs on one side and selling higher era goods on the other side. I occasionally will pick up regular trades to fulfill an event quest or DC challenge, but never for city needs. Therefore, the trading ratio restrictions are pretty much irrelevant to a lot of players, especially the experienced or highly active ones.
Has the game changed or have your needs evolved as you aged up? IMO, the latter. I do not need goods for current city needs, I have an abundance of current era goods and that is the reason behind my question. Players can trade down and give the other party a trade that can be significantly better than 1:2 but the reverse is not true. I want to trade current era goods for upper era goods in preparation for aging up in the future. I do agree that the trading restrictions may be irrelevant to advanced players (except perhaps for players in SAAB that want to trade for SAV goods in which case they would share my dilemma).

wolfhoundtoo

As noted you can work out swaps with individual players or as many have done in the past do a forge point swap. At this point you can't expect a radical change in the trading system since if they were testing it on beta it would of been mentioned by now.

Johnny B. Goode

Has the game changed or have your needs evolved as you aged up? IMO, the latter. I do not need goods for current city needs, I have an abundance of current era goods and that is the reason behind my question. Players can trade down and give the other party a trade that can be significantly better than 1:2 but the reverse is not true. I want to trade current era goods for upper era goods in preparation for aging up in the future. I do agree that the trading restrictions may be irrelevant to advanced players (except perhaps for players in SAAB that want to trade for SAV goods in which case they would share my dilemma).
No, it's the former. The game has changed. Drastically. So drastically that it's really a different game now than it was 6 years ago. And the area where it's really changed the most is the almost complete irrelevance of the most basic game mechanics. Trading. Build menu buildings (except for quest fulfillment). Regular guild swap threads. Balancing the different aspects of your city used to be the major strategy challenge. Population vs happiness. Coin/supply levels for goods production. Space for military barracks. None of these are issues anymore even for new cities.

Forced building of the Oracle of Delphi removed the last of the original new city challenges, happiness. Now, once you get the Tower of Babel and go through one event, you can basically ignore regular Build menu buildings except for quest fulfillment. The city itself used to be the major focus of the game. Now it's pretty much just a sidelight to the "extracurricular" features such as GE and GBG and events.

So it's not that my needs have evolved as I aged up. In fact, I fairly frequently start new cities. And it's there that the change in the game is most evident.