• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

a

DeletedUser26965

0% defense also benefits people who follow that Heavy Questing Guide that's here on the forums. I know they don't bother with defense, because they advocate having nothing to plunder, getting all their resources needed from the recurring quests.

Works for them at least.
I don't follow that "guide" if you want to call it that, but I do recurring questing and I always get a little giggle when someone attacks my city and they go looking only to see 3000 blacksmiths to plunder but the best part is when they do plunder one, oh my no don't do that lol. I'm sure most look at me like I'm some sort of idiot too, "frggin blacksmith guy, pfft".

DeletedUser10720

Defense, HA! Might as well be nothing;

index.php

(c/o[Feedback] - Oceanic Future Part 6)

It's my understanding as far as the OP medusa is that it's due to the Blast effect
With +6 damage every tile closer within it's range, and a range that extends beyond the battlefield, every shot is boosted by blast and a unit particularly close to medusa can get quite a lot of blast damage added. I don't know all the numbers exactly, but I have gone back and forth with them in my main town and have had a bit of fun with them at times.

DeletedUser26965

It's my understanding as far as the OP medusa is that it's due to the Blast effect
With +6 damage every tile closer within it's range, and a range that extends beyond the battlefield, every shot is boosted by blast and a unit particularly close to medusa can get quite a lot of blast damage added. I don't know all the numbers exactly, but I have gone back and forth with them in my main town and have had a bit of fun with them at times.
still, a 1877 defense+unit defense, broke, lol

but yeah Blast as far as I gathered it to be is; how many tiles away - Range * 6 so Medusa's range is 50 now, was 100, so if the target is 5 tiles away then 45*6=+270 attack

Salsuero

*I left many valuable goods/supplies buildings uncollected all week.*

Just to prove a point? Sounds like you aren't being very efficient with your productions. Maybe you should build some defense and just play the game? The rest of us don't really need you to prove to us that we "could" be more productive. Your text-based, unsubstantiated data proves nothing. The only thing you have proven is that you like leaving your city unprotected and leaving lots of goodies for people to plunder if they bothered to try. So the people in your hoods are whimps. Good for you!

DeletedUser

try to illustrate an example of how 0% defense = profits.
=
a 1x daily player with basil and 5 watchfires (30 squares of defense) and a terrace farm in his inventory.
if the player , removes his basil and watchfires and puts in his terrace farm, they will instantly increase their potential for usable production by 6-7 collections per week.. 25-30 collections per months ...or 312-360 collections per year.

if they kept the basil and watchfires, they could not produce/collect on that land, their potential for usable production would be that much less.
keeping basil and watchfires is effectively a loss of 312-360 possible collections per year.
=
if they had the t-farm, and it got plundered every single day... they would have gained 0 usable productions...which is the same they would have gained if the basil and watchfires were there.

so according to this example... a basil and 6 watchfires have the same impact on a daily players usable production as a terrace farm that gets plundered every single day.
if a person had the terrace farm, and it got plundered 300 times, and they collected 12-65 productions...they would be ahead that many collections.

a terrace farm that gets plundered 300 times, and collected from 12 times, has a gain of 12 useable productions ....
a basil and 6 watchfires is a guaranteed loss of 312+ productions every year to a daily player.

does the basil and 6 watch fires stop 312 plunders every year?
=
when a person has defense in their city, they lose production on that land every time, every collection, guaranteed.
if they have a building, and it gets plundered, it is essentially the same as having defense there. 0 usable production gained.
if they have a building, there is always a chance they can collect and gain usable production.
A) St Basil will give you daily coin production, which isn't much, but it isn't 0 production.
B) To actually maximize the space while having 0% defense, put in 6 SoKs instead of the Terrace Farm. Same space, but 20% more FP production, plus pretty decent coin production. Potential loss to plunder? Zero.
C) You can fit 6 Watchfires into any city without losing a single tile to production. Just put one at the end of every road. I'm not saying that would be an effective deterrent, but the whole idea that any space devoted to defense equals lost production is just ridiculous on the face of it.

Salsuero

A) St Basil will give you daily coin production, which isn't much, but it isn't 0 production.

Yup. And I use mine to complete a recurring quest for coin collection every single day, all by itself. That equals even more profits! Sure, that's not gonna work in the later ages, but I'm loving it while it lasts!

C) You can fit 6 Watchfires into any city without losing a single tile to production. Just put one at the end of every road. I'm not saying that would be an effective deterrent, but the whole idea that any space devoted to defense equals lost production is just ridiculous on the face of it.

But what about the happiness lost from those road segments?! Come on Longshanks... you're better than that!!!

Ta 152H

B) To actually maximize the space while having 0% defense, put in 6 SoKs instead of the Terrace Farm. Same space, but 20% more FP production, plus pretty decent coin production. Potential loss to plunder? Zero.

His argument is so weak, it's almost comical.

He looks at one building, rather than the city as a whole. A Basil could easily protect that many buildings in 312 days, if you have 30 Terrace Farms. As cities get bigger, and more buildings go up and need protection, the potential loss from a weak defense goes up with it. Depending on the neighborhood, it can be catastrophic, or can be minimal.

SoKs aren't necessarily more efficient. They chew up aid, and you are limited to the amount you can have because of that. They take more roads. They can't make goods, which can be a very important aspect of Terrace Farms in high ages, where 30 goods gets you way more than 5 FP. So, per square they are, but taken as whole, there are many situations where the Terrace Farm can be more advantageous for the player as well. Mostly where the goods are a more important production.

DeletedUser

SoKs aren't necessarily more efficient. They chew up aid, and you are limited to the amount you can have because of that. They take more roads. They can't make goods, which can be a very important aspect of Terrace Farms in high ages, where 30 goods gets you way more than 5 FP. So, per square they are, but taken as whole, there are many situations where the Terrace Farm can be more advantageous for the player as well. Mostly where the goods are a more important production.
Aid has never been an issue for me in any city. And as far as goods go, Tribal Squares take care of that, with coins to boot. And neither the SoK nor the Tribal Square is plunderable when producing the FP and goods, respectively, so the combination is way better than a bunch of Terrace Farms.

Ta 152H

Aid has never been an issue for me in any city. And as far as goods go, Tribal Squares take care of that, with coins to boot. And neither the SoK nor the Tribal Square is plunderable when producing the FP and goods, respectively, so the combination is way better than a bunch of Terrace Farms.

I've known people that have had to tear up SoKs because they had so many, they couldn't get aid on them. It's still kind of rare, but it will get more common as time/ages goes along. The number of people that can aid is remaining the same, the space and number of SoKs keeps going up. DC is helping with that too.

Let's see, how many do you get per day with a tribal square? 12 hexes, 5 goods is it? So, 42% per square per day? So, normalizing for 30 squares, you'd get 12.5 goods. Terrace Farm gets 30 per day. Not really close. But, TS does give some pop whereas TF uses it, but it's still not even remotely close which is better at it. I'll take the 30, thanks.

Besides, isn't the point of this to make a city so you aren't easily plundered. I'm all with you in building a strong defense, but what's the point where you then build inefficient buildings that undermine the value of that defense? If I'm paying the price for the protection, I'm paying that so I can use efficient buildings that validate such an investment, not relatively weak buildings like a TS that make such a defense unimportant.

DeletedUser

Let's see, how many do you get per day with a tribal square? 12 hexes, 5 goods is it? So, 42% per square per day? So, normalizing for 30 squares, you'd get 12.5 goods. Terrace Farm gets 30 per day. Not really close. But, TS does give some pop whereas TF uses it, but it's still not even remotely close which is better at it. I'll take the 30, thanks.
Yeah, whatever. In the 30 squares of a Terrace Farm that is vulnerable to plundering, you can put 2 Tribal Squares and 3 SoKs, for 10 goods and 3 FP per day, plus lots of coins for UBQ. Using the figure of 30 goods per day for the TF is not actually realistic for most players, especially on an an ongoing basis. Just not realistic to be able to do three 8 hour cycles per day, day after day, timing-wise. So, you're looking at a realistic figure of either 20 goods, plus some medals, or 5 FPs, but not both. And both the TS and SoK provide pop instead of using it, and (for those who care about such things) 2 TS + 3 SoK will provide 32,000 more ranking points than 1 TF. Throw in anything you get from the extra UBQs you can do over a year because of the coins, and subtract even a very few plunders over the course of a year, and the 2 TS/3 SoK combo is way superior in both production and flexibility to 1 TF.

DeletedUser26965

This whole board is rather silly, can build this or that, which is better than which, bleh, all relative to playstyle and y'all takin like everyone plays some cookie cutter cutout, not, well maybe fp/Arc farms okay yeah those are pretty common but not really relative to all this, not really anyway.

Ta 152H

Yeah, whatever. In the 30 squares of a Terrace Farm that is vulnerable to plundering, you can put 2 Tribal Squares and 3 SoKs, for 10 goods and 3 FP per day, plus lots of coins for UBQ. Using the figure of 30 goods per day for the TF is not actually realistic for most players, especially on an an ongoing basis. Just not realistic to be able to do three 8 hour cycles per day, day after day, timing-wise. So, you're looking at a realistic figure of either 20 goods, plus some medals, or 5 FPs, but not both. And both the TS and SoK provide pop instead of using it, and (for those who care about such things) 2 TS + 3 SoK will provide 32,000 more ranking points than 1 TF. Throw in anything you get from the extra UBQs you can do over a year because of the coins, and subtract even a very few plunders over the course of a year, and the 2 TS/3 SoK combo is way superior in both production and flexibility to 1 TF.

Yeah, whatever, more nonsense that tries to change the argument.

SoKs are generally better, as I said, but not in certain circumstances. I'm saying tribal squares are not.

The statement about 8 hour productions is nonsense. Most "serious" players can be on more than three times a day. You're on all day, and we're really talking about you and me anyway. So, 30 is the number, not 20, and silly arguments you know are wrong aren't going to change that. Let's keep it real, instead of making up stuff we both know isn't accurate.

As I said earlier, TF is better than SoK primarily where you wants goods, and it's a lot better in that situation. And you will get 30 goods, and if they sell at 2 to 1, that's 15 FP a day. SoK in that same space will get around 6 or a little more, allowing for roads. That assumes you don't have so many they can get aided, which is still rare, but can happen for really big time diamond spammers. So, there are very significant situations where TFs are better than SoK, but generally, I'd still take the SoKs.

Tribal Squares are a joke by comparison. That was what my previous post was about, not about SoKs. Stay on topic, please.

DeletedUser

The statement about 8 hour productions is nonsense. Most "serious" players can be on more than three times a day. You're on all day, and we're really talking about you and me anyway. So, 30 is the number, not 20, and silly arguments you know are wrong aren't going to change that. Let's keep it real, instead of making up stuff we both know isn't accurate.
It's not about how many times you're on all day, it's about timing. I'm on a lot, but my life doesn't revolve around game timing, nor does that of most players. Therefore, the most realistic number is two 8 hour cycles with one 4 hour cycle. Which is 20 goods. And that's real. For the 30 goods number, you would have to be on exactly every 8 hours, day after day. That is not real.
Tribal Squares are a joke by comparison. That was what my previous post was about, not about SoKs. Stay on topic, please.
Well, since my point is that a combination of Tribal Squares and SoKs is better than a Terrace Farm, I am on topic. And since the thread topic is 0% defense, then the TS/SoK combo is more appropriate, because you don't need defense to protect their production like you do the TF.

Ta 152H

It's not about how many times you're on all day, it's about timing. I'm on a lot, but my life doesn't revolve around game timing, nor does that of most players. Therefore, the most realistic number is two 8 hour cycles with one 4 hour cycle. Which is 20 goods. And that's real. For the 30 goods number, you would have to be on exactly every 8 hours, day after day. That is not real.

Well, since my point is that a combination of Tribal Squares and SoKs is better than a Terrace Farm, I am on topic. And since the thread topic is 0% defense, then the TS/SoK combo is more appropriate, because you don't need defense to protect their production like you do the TF.

Again, more nonsense. Let's say I do miss the 8 hour production by a few minutes. Big deal. That doesn't mean I have to use a four hour production. That means I probably get 28 per day instead of thirty. Of course, the same applies to 24 hour collections, so you don't get one per day. You get a little less unless you're on exactly at the right time. If we were talking about one hour intervals, I'd understand better, but eight hour intervals are not hard to collect from. If I lose a few minutes a day, no biggie. The same with the 24 hour ones.

In reality, even your premise about TS and SoKs being better is badly flawed. If you want FP, SoKs are the way to go. If you want goods, TFs are. Show me someone that puts up TS for goods instead of a Terrace Farm, and I'll show you either a fool, or someone that doesn't have the TF. TS are not very good items, but you already know that. SoKs are, outside of specific situations. So, making the SoKs carry the TS isn't logical, because they don't have to be paired. Nor would they be as effective in late ages where goods sell for 2 per 1 FP.

I'm quickly losing respect for you, and beginning to think you're trolling. You and I both argue that a strong defense is worthwhile, now you're advocating 0% defense because you think you're making a good point? Hello, McFly! If you want to say that the TS and SoK are better where you have no defense, I might agree with you, if you can't pick up on time. But since neither of us play that way, I'm assuming you're just being argumentative for even bringing that up, since it's irrelevant in this context. But if that's the argument you want to make, sure, it could easily be true. If you want to say it's better if you have a wicked defense, then I won't agree. TFs are very powerful buildings. TS just aren't. But, yeah, you have to defend TFs, and that's been my consistent message. And yours too.

Salsuero

Most "serious" players can be on more than three times a day.

Proof? Definition?

eight hour intervals are not hard to collect from.

Speak for yourself. Some people have lives and work for a living. My girlfriend wouldn't be too thrilled if I stopped to run FoE during dinner or a nighttime walk at the beach. Now, if you're advocating for giving up your full-time job and real-world experiences to keep your 8-hour productions on schedule... I suspect you don't have either to worry about. That's sad. The truth is... I don't think "most" people are online as much as you claim "serious" players should be. If your life revolves around FoE, you're truly wasting it. Collecting everything on a 24-hour clock may be less efficient, but it's much more easily managed to collect everything once daily than it is to have to be online several times a day to manage a few extra goodies. I can think of one set of size C goodies that I'd prefer to manage over this game. Your mileage may vary. To each his/her own. And so on, yadda yadda. This thread is hilarious.

DeletedUser31498

My girlfriend wouldn't be too thrilled if I stopped to run FoE during dinner or a nighttime walk at the beach. Now, if you're advocating for giving up your full-time job and real-world experiences to keep your 8-hour productions on schedule... I suspect you don't have either to worry about.

How many times have you mentioned you have a girlfriend? I mean my gosh, congratulations? And ok, go for a walk with your girlfriend. So you're an hour late to your collection. who cares? That's why TA said 28 goods instead of 30. He's haircutting the 3 8-hour productions to allow for some lag. And yes, lots of serious players log in multiple times a day. "proof?" Come on you're such a troll.

Yeah, whatever. In the 30 squares of a Terrace Farm that is vulnerable to plundering, you can put 2 Tribal Squares and 3 SoKs, for 10 goods and 3 FP per day, plus lots of coins for UBQ.

isn't TS 3x4? I think you can only fit 1.5 SoKs ? 2x12 = 24, and only 6 squares left to match the 30, so that's 1.5 SoKs. Or 1 TS and 4 SoKs would work.

DeletedUser

Show me someone that puts up TS for goods instead of a Terrace Farm, and I'll show you either a fool, or someone that doesn't have the TF. TS are not very good items, but you already know that.
Talk about nonsense. Sheesh.
I'd understand better, but eight hour intervals are not hard to collect from.
More utter nonsense. Impossible to do day after day unless you have no life.
I'm quickly losing respect for you, and beginning to think you're trolling.
Right back at you.

Ta 152H

Proof? Definition?

Speak for yourself. Some people have lives and work for a living. My girlfriend wouldn't be too thrilled if I stopped to run FoE during dinner or a nighttime walk at the beach. Now, if you're advocating for giving up your full-time job and real-world experiences to keep your 8-hour productions on schedule... I suspect you don't have either to worry about. That's sad. The truth is... I don't think "most" people are online as much as you claim "serious" players should be. If your life revolves around FoE, you're truly wasting it. Collecting everything on a 24-hour clock may be less efficient, but it's much more easily managed to collect everything once daily than it is to have to be online several times a day to manage a few extra goodies. I can think of one set of size C goodies that I'd prefer to manage over this game. Your mileage may vary. To each his/her own. And so on, yadda yadda. This thread is hilarious.

Yet you're clearly on more than every eight hours, spouting your nonsense.

I have a well-paying full time job (that I'm at now), and have no trouble filling in 30 seconds to collect from stuff. I need the distractions to keep me sane.

Now, if have time to post as much as you do, you no doubt have the time to collect, instead of making silly remarks about how important your life is. It's not. You know, I know it, and the American people know it! And again, if you miss by 15 minutes, big deal. It doesn't mean you throw one away.

So, stop posing, and start collecting.