• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

2000 Aborted quest limit per day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony 85 the Generous

I have steadily done RQ\s for 2-3 hour stretches and have yet to hit 2000. The only way you are going to hit 2000 in 30 minutes is to continuously abort without actually doing any quests.
You have gone and made me curious. For kicks I just tried it with a stop watch. Knowing the order and exactly when and where the abort button would appear (moves for the double collection quest and UBQ), it took me 28 seconds to about 16 quests, 1.75 seconds per abort. At that rate, doing nothing, collecting nothing, except clicking the abort button as fast as possible for 58 minutes to abort 2000 quests.

Last edited:
You have gone and made me curious. For kicks I just tried it with a stop watch. Knowing the order and exactly when and where the abort button would appear (moves for the double collection quest and UBQ), it took me 28 seconds to about 16 quests, 1.75 seconds per abort. At that rate, doing nothing, collecting nothing, except clicking the abort button as fast as possible for 58 minutes to abort 2000 quests.
now try doing a quest, lol

iPenguinPat

As player, I like to think I play the game the way it is intended. I do not camp. Never have. I have a level 119 CF. I do 3 RQ's, but just when they come up. I do not abort RQ's endlessly just to fill my day. GvG I sometimes pick up a sector when I have to do some fights. I do not use GvG to score points. My Guild is active in GBG, but we do not make any agreements with other Guilds. We do what we can. Most times in Diamond where we can do little, sometimes in Platinum where we dominate the map and get back to Diamond right away. I am really curious when you think Inno will be limiting my playstyle.

I did a test doing 2fp and abort the rest.
Did 40k fp in about 8 minutes

260 aborts.
Can do that just shy of 8 times to hit the limit. It's about 60-65 minutes.

If the rationale was because of server usage and only a small portion of players are hitting this limit, and how does it actually help? Is that small portion of users really doing that many quest? That doesn't add up one bit.

Here's some data that inno should get. What percent of those players doing recurring quest are alts or push accounts? is that data they already have? And if they do have that data, why haven't they removed the alts?

RazorbackPirate

If the rationale was because of server usage and only a small portion of players are hitting this limit, and how does it actually help? Is that small portion of users really doing that many quest? That doesn't add up one bit.
Ever hear of the 80/20 rule? 20% of the players causing 80% of the issue sounds reasonable. 20% affected is the minority, but capping removes 70% of the problem,. Adds up to me.

iPenguinPat

Ever hear of the 80/20 rule? 20% of the players causing 80% of the issue sounds reasonable. 20% affected is the minority, but capping removes 70% of the problem,. Adds up to me.

Good rule.

1 out of 5 active players are doing enough aborts up and over 2000 to bog down the servers?

Okie dokie

Emberguard

1 out of 5 active players are doing enough aborts up and over 2000 to bog down the servers?
I get it doesn't make sense from your point of view as a player, but I can believe it factoring into the decision with the view a ingame mod has. Hopefully the feedback from all of this will give the devs something to work with, can't make any promises though on what the outcome will be from that.

wolfhoundtoo

I would imagine it would depend on the servers and other items. Given that only Inno has the data though what difference does it make? Anything we put out percentage wise is frankly made up and has zero basis in fact as we simply don't have the data. Maybe their servers aren't so great or maybe their code sucks or maybe they are cheap (or all 3 or any scenario you care to dream up). In the end they decided not to share their reasoning beyond a rather brief and as previously noted not very informative announcement.

Johnny B. Goode

CF getting nerfed
The CF didn't get nerfed, I don't know why you people keep saying that. They instituted an abort limit. The CF still has the same effect on quests that is always has, so it has definitely not been nerfed. Try to stick to facts, if you can. Except that facts are very inconvenient for your viewpoint, aren't they?

Tony 85 the Generous

Good rule.

There are several items that have been mentioned and are unconfirmed, but also not contridicted (yet). For fun, let's list a few and then add them together.
1. 20% of the players causing 80% of the issues
2. 200k active players
3. RQ abort reports to the server to retrieve the next quest

#1+#2=40k active players causing problems. Seems a bit high to think there are 40k players just hitting abort over and over and over. Add #3, means 40k players regularly hitting abort plus a large percentage of the remainder occaionsally hitting abort throughout the day (I know I do when my city's daily collection is ready).

#1+#2+#3 =
Maybe their servers aren't so great or maybe their code sucks or maybe they are cheap (or all 3 or any scenario you care to dream up). In the end they decided not to share their reasoning beyond a rather brief and as previously noted not very informative announcement.
Inno appears to be attempting to want to limit the number of RQs completed per player per day based on the number of aborts (not logical IMO, but that is what they did). If they want to limit the number of RQs completed by a player per day, then why not actually limit the number of RQs per days (instead of coming into it sideways from below and behind).

wolfhoundtoo

The CF didn't get nerfed, I don't know why you people keep saying that. They instituted an abort limit. The CF still has the same effect on quests that is always has, so it has definitely not been nerfed. Try to stick to facts, if you can. Except that facts are very inconvenient for your viewpoint, aren't they?

I have to disagree here. It got nerfed they just didn't do it directly. The CF simply won't produce what it used to before the change. While it might be a technical difference the impact is basically the same. A Rose by any other name is still a Rose.

That being just calling it a nerf doesn't mean anything anyway other than an attempt to garner sympathy or make the change seem worse that it is when what nerf really translates to as "something did something that a player liked and now it either doesn't do it anymore or does it less). Such is the nature of online games.

Vger

It seems odd to me that quest aborts would be a thing that taxes the server. Of all the things we click on that talk to the server, quest abort has to be about the cheapest thing to process. What takes more server resource: Abort, or Auto-battle? By how much? I'm thinking...by a lot.

If quest aborts really are consuming a lot of server resource, then why is it that every time I click Abort, Inno feels the need to send me a help wanted ad? Sure, it's a small thing, a few 100 bytes of wasted text to push out, just a few microseconds, maybe less to process. But, little things add up, I guess? Otherwise, would quest aborts cause server overload?

But despite the server load issues, this needs to be sent to you every time you click abort:
x-joinus: We are always searching for skilled admins and passionate coders! Go to career.innogames.com and mention this header in your application!

Where do I apply? Oh, wait, I'm retired. LOL.

RazorbackPirate

Good rule.

Okie dokie
How about 1 in 5 players who actively spin RQs. Better now?
It was only part of the reason. But you know that.
Here's some data that inno should get. What percent of those players doing recurring quest are alts or push accounts? is that data they already have? And if they do have that data, why haven't they removed the alts?
Why? How does it matter? While I'm not a fan of push accounts, whether it's a push account or not, unless someone is using bots, you can only spin RQs in one city at a time. No change in impact. To your question, is the OP's push account deleted yet? If not, why not?

Kryxeus

Wife and I came back after some time away and I stumbled on this thread. This is bad news for us. We are heavy questers. We started new cities. We quest our goods, bp's and fp's. So far I haven't received any fp packs. I asked my wife, she's hasn't received any fp packs from her questing. Were fp packs removed or the odds to receive packs change?

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

Wife and I came back after some time away and I stumbled on this thread. This is bad news for us. We are heavy questers. We started new cities. We quest our goods, bp's and fp's. So far I haven't received any fp packs. I asked my wife, she's hasn't received any fp packs from her questing. Were fp packs removed or the odds to receive packs change?
I got FP packs from recurring quests on multiple worlds earlier today, so they have not been removed. And I don't do very many recurring quests, so I doubt that the odds have changed.

wolfhoundtoo

Just how many quests did you do? It's not that hard (stat wise) to have a series of quests results that don't result in getting fps.

iPenguinPat

To your question, is the OP's push account deleted yet? If not, why not?

Pretty sure those inclined to cheat one way would be inclined to cheat other ways.

Yep. I hope they find it and delete it. Enforcing rules deters rule breakers. :)

It seems odd to me that quest aborts would be a thing that taxes the server. Of all the things we click on that talk to the server, quest abort has to be about the cheapest thing to process. What takes more server resources: Abort, or Auto-battle? By how much? I'm thinking...by a lot.

The data topic is interesting. If you want to do some fun research, check your network usage while doing RQs. I have.

timrwild

I'm not sure if this idea has been tossed out yet, but in case it hasn't, here we go. One of the things people had asked a lot was "Why can't Inno just clamp down on the bots?" Well, it turns out that's not so easy. Tracking where people are clicking, whether the actions are so repetitive that it can't possibly be a human, etc. is a lot to program and very tricky to do the right way so that alone doesn't bog down their servers. But there is another way to solve the problem. I did quit playing FoE over this issue, and won't return until the hard 2k abort limit is removed. I picked up another game, Rise of Kingdoms. There's a part of the game that I thought was just a nice perk at first, but then I realized what it's actually doing. Every few minutes of gameplay there's a little chest you get to open. To open the chest, you have to do a little CAPTCHA. At first I did it just for the little prize, but eventually I realized that when the timer gets to 0:00, you aren't allowed to interact with the game until you complete the CAPTCHA. That's how they prevent bots from taking over the game. Well, you can have a bot play, but every 20-30 minutes of game play a human has to interact with the game at least once. Something similar to that would do well here. Sure you can have a bot play for you on a computer while you work, and every 30 minutes do the CAPTCHA and then go back to working while the bot runs RQs for you, but you would never be able to let it run overnight. You could get at most a few hours of quests in a day, and it would probably be so annoying that the people running the bots would all but give up. If you hit that lockout time and the script continues to run, that should be easy to detect, and if so, lock the account for 2 hours. Next time it happens, lock it out for 4 hours, and if it keeps happening, ban the account. I think most of the discussion around flagging bots has been with tracking mouse movements and the repetitiveness of specific actions, which is really hard to program. Something like this CAPTCHA would be fairly easy to implement. Toss 15-25 goods their way for the service, and call it good. Handing out 100 goods a day to everyone to stop a few people from farming 15-30k goods a day would be well worth it in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.