• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

2000 Aborted quest limit per day

Status
Not open for further replies.

timrwild

I don't know. 28 pages and almost 550 posts seem like enough to have given any dead horse the beating it deserved. Maybe time to move on to the next player complaint.

The problem is that there has been no dialogue with Inno. They have been completely silent on everything. Those of us who care have given out dozens of solutions that would satisfy 95% of the people who are pissed off. Then there are those who yell back "bUt It'S sTiLl An ExPlOiT, iNnO cAn Do WhAt ThEy WaNt." There's no actual conversation about the issue. Some of us offer suggestions, and the rebuttal is that we're stupid and our concerns aren't legitimate. Ultimately none of this makes it back to Inno and it doesn't matter because they never cared in the first place. Inno could clear this all up SOOOOOO easily, but they don't care enough to do so.

Johnny B. Goode

The problem is that there has been no dialogue with Inno.
So email them. Or play on beta.
They have been completely silent on everything.
No, they (belatedly) said what they had done and why. You just don't like what they said.
Those of us who care have given out dozens of solutions that would satisfy 95% of the people who are pissed off.
If you want a "solution" implemented, it has to satisfy FoE's developers, not the relatively few members who are upset.
There's no actual conversation about the issue. Some of us offer suggestions, and the rebuttal is that we're stupid and our concerns aren't legitimate.
I don't recall calling anyone stupid, so I think you're reading that into posts...or you're just saying that for effect, which is more likely. As to your "concerns" being legitimate...they aren't really concerns, they're complaints. This whole sentence is an attempt to spin the conversation to characterize you (plural) as victims, which you are not.
Ultimately none of this makes it back to Inno and it doesn't matter because they never cared in the first place.
Apparently you missed the post by @Emberguard saying that they were relaying the gist of this thread up the chain.
Inno could clear this all up SOOOOOO easily, but they don't care enough to do so.
They did. They said they were implementing an abort limit on RQs to deal with an exploit. It's pretty clear to most of us what they meant. If you're not stupid, it's clear to you, too. You're just refusing to acknowledge a truth you don't like.

blodgaarm

I don't know. 28 pages and almost 550 posts seem like enough to have given any dead horse the beating it deserved. Maybe time to move on to the next player complaint. After all, people have to rest up so they have the energy to whine about the rapidly approaching event. :D
Maybe you could just leave this thread if it bothers you so much to listen

Johnny B. Goode

Maybe you could just leave this thread if it bothers you so much to listen
Oh, no. I like to read this stuff. It's the most fun I have in this game anymore. It's entertaining seeing people get this upset over one little facet of a browser/mobile game. I usually save this level of outrage for social injustices or slow drivers in the left lane. So by all means, keep entertaining me. After all, what else are you gonna do with all those hours you used to spend RQ looping. ;)

DevaCat

I don’t mind listening, and I have an open mind. I would like to know first, who were these players who notified Inno there was an exploit problem, and in such numbers that inno took action. Second, what was the exploit? Officially I mean, not the speculation we’ve had so far. I don’t really have a dog in this fight but I’d like to see some honesty and clarity - not a lot to ask really is it?

Johnny B. Goode

who were these players who notified Inno there was an exploit problem,
This is also speculation. This is the first time I've seen anyone mention the possibility that Inno acted based on player complaints. For one thing, how does anyone really know exactly what other players are doing? All we have is their word for most of it. Very little can actually be verified independently except battles. GBG and GE have info on guild members' activities that are there for other guild members to see, but that goes away from one round to the next.

Chompman

I don’t mind listening, and I have an open mind. I would like to know first, who were these players who notified Inno there was an exploit problem, and in such numbers that inno took action. Second, what was the exploit? Officially I mean, not the speculation we’ve had so far. I don’t really have a dog in this fight but I’d like to see some honesty and clarity - not a lot to ask really is it?
Officially the only thing that has been said is the update notes from two patch notes last I checked:
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/update-to-version-1-199.41188/#post-350474
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/update-to-version-1-200.41289/

Being able to either get unlimited resources / fight points from the rewards with the use of a upgraded chateau frontenac and certain ages that benefited heavily from them.

The resource gain has been a thing for a long time however only recently there was a quest that added a fight in saab that allowed people to get millions of points a day.

More then likely people noticed this on the score board and either alerted a lot of the top leveled players who complained to the devs or the devs noticed this huge gain in some players and it was more then likely the solution to adjust it.

RazorbackPirate

More then likely people noticed this on the score board and either alerted a lot of the top leveled players who complained to the devs or the devs noticed this huge gain in some players and it was more then likely the solution to adjust it.
More than likely, this is completely wrong. While there were complaints about obvious bot cheaters, there was no ground swell of complaints about RQing. To suggest this is the result of player complaints is grasping at straws to invent a reason that avoids the reasons Inno has stated.

Exploit of unlimited coins and supplies, and the impact that has on the server.

When the decision is unlikely to change, I see no reason for dialog. At this stage it would serve no purpose.

Chompman

More than likely, this is completely wrong. While there were complaints about obvious bot cheaters, there was no ground swell of complaints about RQing. To suggest this is the result of player complaints is grasping at straws to invent a reason that avoids the reasons Inno has stated.

Exploit of unlimited coins and supplies, and the impact that has on the server.

When the decision is unlikely to change, I see no reason for dialog. At this stage it would serve no purpose.
The problem with the believe in that is the unlimited resource thing has been around for many years while the fighting quest was a much more of a recent thing with it being added in saab.

Granted the resource exploitation should had been fixed when the recurring quest / cf abuse was a thing as unlimited resources like that is never a good thing in any game it was only recently addressed with these notes so the best anyone can do is assume it was the more recent issues unless the resource leak proved too popular in recent times.

DevaCat

This is also speculation. This is the first time I've seen anyone mention the possibility that Inno acted based on player complaints. For one thing, how does anyone really know exactly what other players are doing? All we have is their word for most of it. Very little can actually be verified independently except battles. GBG and GE have info on guild members' activities that are there for other guild members to see, but that goes away from one round to the next.
Chompman’s first link mentions inno seeking player input regarding possible RQ exploits, so chicken and egg- which came first, player complaints or inno noticing a disturbance in the Force? No one knows. That’s why I used the term speculation. Again, I’ve got no fish to fry here. Just seems a bit hinkey that a previously okay feature becomes an exploit requiring divine intervention, that it is of such magnitude that server integrity itself is threatened. Mind you, I’m not defending any exploits or abuse of the game mechanics. Just curious about why this, and why now. (Rhetorical, please don’t waste time responding)

Sheriff Of Rottingham

There's no actual conversation about the issue. Some of us offer suggestions, and the rebuttal is that we're stupid and our concerns aren't legitimate.
The only stupid post that got called out was from the OP when he admitted this entire thread was based on him being upset it was more difficult to exploit the game with a TOS violation exploit.

r21r

Oh, no. I like to read this stuff. It's the most fun I have in this game anymore. It's entertaining seeing people get this upset over one little facet of a browser/mobile game. I usually save this level of outrage for social injustices or slow drivers in the left lane. So by all means, keep entertaining me. After all, what else are you gonna do with all those hours you used to spend RQ looping. ;)
=)

RazorbackPirate

Chompman’s first link mentions inno seeking player input regarding possible RQ exploits, so chicken and egg- which came first, player complaints or inno noticing a disturbance in the Force? No one knows. That’s why I used the term speculation. Again, I’ve got no fish to fry here. Just seems a bit hinkey that a previously okay feature becomes an exploit requiring divine intervention, that it is of such magnitude that server integrity itself is threatened. Mind you, I’m not defending any exploits or abuse of the game mechanics. Just curious about why this, and why now. (Rhetorical, please don’t waste time responding)
No, It doesn't say that at all. Inno never stated they sought player input about possible RQ exploits. They said they were "collecting feedback on quest abort exploits, and trying to figure out a way to tackle this."

How long does it take a player to build a city and CF to a high enough level to tap into this exploit? A couple of years? So 3 1/2 years ago when it was just a thought experiment, there was no impact on the server from an idea. One year after the introduction of GBG, the land of unlimited FPs requiring unlimited goods to pull off, cities built for unlimited RQs are no longer unusual. Why now? The thought experiment is now reality, gone from idea to exploit.

Not rhetorical, you just don't like the answers you get.

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

Don't quite seem right to say the above to someone here and say this omn another thread:

I'm OK with picking and choosing what to believe from INNO, but shouldn't that courtesy extend to everyone?
If you look at the post I was commenting on with the "porting is just an excuse", @RazorbackPirate actually points out that the reason porting GvG is an issue is because Anwar was the lead designer of it and thus his death (and the loss of his knowledge of how he had designed GvG) made it impractical to attempt to port it to mobile. But you can't say in an official announcement/statement that "we're not porting GvG to mobile because Anwar died." Partly because it's rather insensitive and partly because it makes the programmers/designers sound like they're less than competent. So they merely say that there are problems with or it is not practical to port it to mobile. Maybe "excuse" isn't exactly the right word. Perhaps I should say that they use porting instead of the core reason because it's simpler.

SCollins23

No, It doesn't say that at all. Inno never stated they sought player input about possible RQ exploits. They said they were "collecting feedback on quest abort exploits, and trying to figure out a way to tackle this."

How long does it take a player to build a city and CF to a high enough level to tap into this exploit? A couple of years? So 3 1/2 years ago when it was just a thought experiment, there was no impact on the server from an idea. One year after the introduction of GBG, the land of unlimited FPs requiring unlimited goods to pull off, cities built for unlimited RQs are no longer unusual. Why now? The thought experiment is now reality, gone from idea to exploit.

Not rhetorical, you just don't like the answers you get.

So you win the lottery, and they tell you it was theoretical. It had a probability of 1 out 1 million, and it wasn't really supposed to happen. Now that you have won it, it's an exploit and you won't get paid. People who didn't even bother to purchase a ticket jumps on the bandwagon and religiously keep posting on the issue, trying to justify why it's okay to break the social contract. Their reasoning ranges from "it's a dead horse, stop posting about it (meanwhile they respond to every other forum entry!)" to "Inno can do WhATevEr, suck it up!!!".

Some people are even proud about their troll-like behavior lol. I think they should focus on bettering their own game instead of being so obsessed about hurting other players.

Johnny B. Goode

So you win the lottery, and they tell you it was theoretical. It had a probability of 1 out 1 million, and it wasn't really supposed to happen. Now that you have won it, it's an exploit and you won't get paid. People who didn't even bother to purchase a ticket jumps on the bandwagon and religiously keep posting on the issue, trying to justify why it's okay to break the social contract. Their reasoning ranges from "it's a dead horse, stop posting about it (meanwhile they respond to every other forum entry!)" to "Inno can do WhATevEr, suck it up!!!".

Some people are even proud about their troll-like behavior lol. I think they should focus on bettering their own game instead of being so obsessed about hurting other players.
So that may be the worst analogy I've ever seen on the Forum. It would make more sense if your analogy said the lottery was ending (from your viewpoint) or that the prizes were being reduced going forward (realistically speaking).

If you step back and look at who is to blame for players who have dedicated their cities to heavy RQ looping, it isn't Inno. Players are always looking for "get rich quick" schemes. GvG farming for points, hyper leveling Arcs, sector swapping in GBG, hyper leveling CF/heavy RQ looping. All player constructs. All results of players looking for shortcuts to game riches. So the players that discovered it on their own have no one else but themselves to blame for putting all their eggs in one basket, so to speak. And if you were advised by another player that this was the way to play, then that player (and yourself for listening) is responsible, not Inno.

If you want a better analogy, think of FoE as running a marathon. Many players over the years have used that comparison. Over the course of running the marathon, however, some players notice a side street that cuts a mile off the length of the marathon. They decide to take it. They don't get caught. So they use it again next race. And again. And then other runners ask for their advice in running the marathon and are told about the shortcut (which is exactly what an exploit is), and they start taking it. Then, the race organizers/designers notice that the runners' race times overall are much faster than they used to be (server load comes to Inno's attention). So they block off the shortcut. Now all the runners who were using the shortcut start complaining that it isn't fair. They cite the fact that the race organizers didn't catch the shortcut at first as a reason why they should still be able to use it. Then, when other runners who never used the shortcut start speaking up, the shortcut runners try to tell them that they shouldn't say anything because they never used the shortcut and the issue doesn't affect them.

SCollins23

Players are always looking for "get rich quick" schemes. GvG farming for points, hyper leveling Arcs, sector swapping in GBG, hyper leveling CF/heavy RQ looping. All player constructs.

Wow, these are all perfectly legitimate ways of playing the game. These are not "schemes." Are you here to actually play the game or did you just sign up for an online discussion forum/debate club and the game came with it?

Johnny B. Goode

Wow, these are all perfectly legitimate ways of playing the game. These are not "schemes." Are you here to actually play the game or did you just sign up for an online discussion forum/debate club and the game came with it?
Been playing the game for 6 years. Not that it's relevant. Did you come here to play a game, or just to find as many shortcuts as you can so you can avoid playing the core game?

Status
Not open for further replies.