• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

22 minimum wage. Will it kill many small business?

DeletedUser

I don't understand your argument at all probably due to you considering units of labour and my approach from the human aspect of labour. Never the twain. I will make one point regarding your burger anecdotal reference (there seems to be a prevalence in this thread) why not a cleaner or street sweeper or toilet attendant? The point being that despite your Utopean ideal of climbing the ladder to the top there will always be more room at the bottom of the heap, and there will always be people who can never climb.

DeletedUser6963

Ummmm

Really not sure how many people here have ever signed the front of a paycheck.....
As one of those evil business owners that has taken his most prized belongings to a pawnshop regularly to make sure those checks clear, let me clue you in on something. I can only pay a person in relation to the profit their work brings to my company. If I am paying him $9 an hour and his effort is making $8 an hour for the company, he is fired or my children lose their home. If I have 20 employees and each is being paid $10 an hour, making $11 an hour for the company and minimum wage is raised to $22 an hour, they are all fired, and I close my doors.

- - - Updated - - -

And isn't Elizabeth warren the lady who claimed minority status and got preferential treatment her entire life because her grandmother told her once as a child she was part Indian ? Really not sure this is the person I would be taking advice from.

DeletedUser4844

And isn't Elizabeth warren the lady who claimed minority status and got preferential treatment her entire life because her grandmother told her once as a child she was part Indian ? Really not sure this is the person I would be taking advice from.

Or, you know, not.

DeletedUser7607

I don't have a problem with minimum wage. What I have a problem with is that it isn't across the board. Eventually McDonald's workers will make as much as the managers....and THAT isn't right.

There are other ways to combat poverty, killing small business isn't one of them....but for me personally, you pay a burger flipper more than you pay me.....we have a problem Houston. Just saying.

so true but the real question is wait for it wait for it wait for it
Why don't you make more?? lol i feel the real problem isn't the bottom it's how much the top deems ok for themselves to make. i agree that managers should make way more than the flipper but there inlies the real problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Chiming in a little late here, but here goes.
Over the last five years here in Ontario Canada we have seen minimum wage rate climb from $8.50/hr to $9.25/hr to our current rate of 10.25 an hour and now coming on June 1, 2014 we're expected to see the wages climb once again to $11.00/hr because of the campaign to raise minimum wage to a living wage over the next 6 years. In 6 years we'll have a minimum wage of $16.25 an hour.

This is a very scary situation and I'll give you an example why.
Pre 2010 we had a minimum wage of $8.50/hr
pre 2010 we could buy a loaf of bread from any supermarket (NoFrills,Lawblaws,FreshCo,Walmart Supercenter,The Great Canadian Superstore... ect) for about $0.89/$1.19 depending on the quality of the loaf and brand (lets just assume I mean standard white bread)

As the years progressed and the minimum wage climbed rapidly, here is where we are.
current 2014, we have a minimum wage of $10.25
A loaf of bread now costs on average of $1.97/$2.39 for the exact same loaf we bought 4 years ago.

Now lets break this down an increase of wages from $8.50/hr to $10.25 is a 17% increase in wage, roughly.
that bread has at minimum doubled in price......

And thats not on just bread, this can be seen with everything in the grocery store, the little man gets a bump in pay, the cost for all goes up astronomically disproportionately to all goods.

As mentioned before in this thread, when minimum wages go up - it only directly benefits the ones getting that wage. My wage of doesn't go up in acordance with what a minimum wage employee gets, however I am now stuck paying over double for that loaf of bread while I'm still on the same wage I was.

DeletedUser5036

Hello,
In the end I do not think that that minimum wage will hurt small businesses. However, what minimum wage does is inflate currency. States that have a higher minimum wage very very often have a higher cost of living associated with them. So although your worker is getting more money, they eventually lose their buying power as managers etc get frustrated by getting paid the same amount as their starting level employees and demand raises as well. In the end the minimum wage is an artificial way to better people's lifestyle and will simply inflate the currency, is what I have come to believe.
I want to be careful that I don't offend anyone with these next paragraph, but i really do believe that it is the answer our society needs, and in the end, the one that will help and develop the poor.
People want to raise the minimum wage because it is very hard to provide for yourself all the modern conveniences and needs in a developed nation on minimum wage. The answer however is that we need to develop people, not just pay them more money for doing the same work that someone with 3 days of training on the job could be doing. It would be very nice to have all my responsibilities and skills that I had in my job in high school (which were not that many), and be able to have my 2 car garage and my wife and two kids and 55 inch flat screen, it really would be nice! However, I believe what must be instilled in people is that some jobs are not meant to provide for all the good things in life. If we want and need those things we need to professionally develop ourselves in order to move into higher paying jobs to earn those things. If we ourselves are not developed to that point, then we simply do not buy those things. If we want healthcare we need get our work ethic and our habits inline to earn a fulltime position that does cover that. My opinion comes from myself working through the ranks in some very bad inner-city areas. So many people that got fired from jobs or did not move up in the business was very clearly a fault of their own and their lack of wanting to move forward. If we could develop policies that does not encourage this, but in fact encourages opposite behavior (as uncomfortable as it will be for some), the society and the poor will be better off.
Thank You

DeletedUser7607

When there is low demand and high supply prices fall, when thereis low demand and high prices, demand drops even more. One unintended consequenceof raising MW is lower demand for entry level workers and that is not fair toour youth. In order to make an informed decision we must understand thepositives and negatives of a decision, weigh them and decide if the positivesoutweigh the negatives. There are several positives to raising MW, at thispoint in time I believe the negatives outweigh the positives and that is why Ioppose it.
i can see your point but your missing a valued point here that nobody seems to think about. which is, yes at first companies will lower there work force but on the other hand more people will have more money to spend which will increase there business. in turn they will need more workers. take economics people. stop listening to rich people saying it will hurt jobs when they only fight for fortune 500 companies pocket books. economics states my facts if they don't get more employees they'll lose business. iin the end right now there fighting for salary people that work 70 hours a week but if you take there salvary and divide it its less than minimum wage. these people are getting shafted no doubt there going to be getting salary and overtime for that if you work more than 40 hrs a week and are on salary you will be getting your overtime. people at the top are the only ones that will see negative effects. granted small tiny none profitable businesses will suffer but they should figure out a way to profit more not at the expence of there workers this applies to bigger businesses also.

i mean come on people think about it like this if you get on all government programs ie. food stamps section 8 and help with bills your making more than 12.00 a hour with these programs.
and those programs are at poverty level. sooooo minimum wage is 7.25 see a problem here???
if poverty is 12.00 a hour on government programs then what is minimum wage which is suppose to reward valued members of society doing at 7.25? work 40 hours a week and make less than 400 bucks so 1200 a month i dont know about you but that's my rent.

DeletedUser7607

Chiming in a little late here, but here goes.
Over the last five years here in Ontario Canada we have seen minimum wage rate climb from $8.50/hr to $9.25/hr to our current rate of 10.25 an hour and now coming on June 1, 2014 we're expected to see the wages climb once again to $11.00/hr because of the campaign to raise minimum wage to a living wage over the next 6 years. In 6 years we'll have a minimum wage of $16.25 an hour.
This is a very scary situation and I'll give you an example why.
Pre 2010 we had a minimum wage of $8.50/hr
pre 2010 we could buy a loaf of bread from any supermarket (NoFrills,Lawblaws,FreshCo,Walmart Supercenter,The Great Canadian Superstore... ect) for about $0.89/$1.19 depending on the quality of the loaf and brand (lets just assume I mean standard white bread)

As the years progressed and the minimum wage climbed rapidly, here is where we are.
current 2014, we have a minimum wage of $10.25
A loaf of bread now costs on average of $1.97/$2.39 for the exact same loaf we bought 4 years ago.

Now lets break this down an increase of wages from $8.50/hr to $10.25 is a 17% increase in wage, roughly.
that bread has at minimum doubled in price......

And thats not on just bread, this can be seen with everything in the grocery store, the little man gets a bump in pay, the cost for all goes up astronomically disproportionately to all goods.

As mentioned before in this thread, when minimum wages go up - it only directly benefits the ones getting that wage. My wage of doesn't go up in acordance with what a minimum wage employee gets, however I am now stuck paying over double for that loaf of bread while I'm still on the same wage I was.

again economics. think how bad it would be without the increase in wages? inflation is always going to happen without increase in wages its even worse look at the usa. inflation has steadly gone up and up and ceos income has gone up and up but minimum wage has stayed low. my wife works 35 hours a week and at the end of the month she might have 1000 bucks our rent is 1200 bucks soo your telling me that she works hard almost everyday and cant even pay rent. let alone food utilities and frugal purchases. if it wasn't for my income we'd be homeless or on government programs that average around 12.00 a hour if you break them down. the bread is going to go up period. so is everything else look here minimum wage hasn't gone up but inflation keeps going up so how do you explain that? your point isn't valid if you don't look at the real problem which is gready company domination of everything marking up prices because they can i worked at walmart it's a 300% markup company they pay 1 buck you pay 4 bucks its not due to my earnings itrs due to them wanting more money.

also just wanted to drop this fact if the 1% have over 40% of the income made then its not our meager lil wages that make the dollar deflate in buying power. its the top 1% that have the most money so there the culprit in your "if there's more money then the dollar loses value." i don't have the money to make the dollar deflate that's the 1% buddy not the 99% that just want a lil extra. im not going to be rich even if the minimum wage goes up. and in the end our federal reserve is a private company that can print as much as they want. putting us on call for the paying it back. the world main currency is the dollar so it's a rock and a hard place.
look into the petro-dollar. go against it and we'll invade you lol <----sucks : )

hicky if you have a business that has 20 people that only clear you 8 bucks a hour in sales per person then your business is doomed to fail from the start. id advise trying to make more profit rather than firing your employees that's the problem right there "lets not try to make our business better streamlined and more profitable, lets just fire someone so that amount goes to us " lol sad (shakes head)