• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

22 minimum wage. Will it kill many small business?

DeletedUser2259

India, Brazil, Korea... Thats the first thing that comes to mind.

DeletedUser

It'll never fly here (US) and I can see it killing off a lot of small businesses. Shux the place I put my time in can barely pay its employees as it is and nearly all of us are "independent contractors."

DeletedUser34

I don't have a problem with minimum wage. What I have a problem with is that it isn't across the board. Eventually McDonald's workers will make as much as the managers....and THAT isn't right.

There are other ways to combat poverty, killing small business isn't one of them....but for me personally, you pay a burger flipper more than you pay me.....we have a problem Houston. Just saying.

DeletedUser3052

I don't have a problem with minimum wage. What I have a problem with is that it isn't across the board. Eventually McDonald's workers will make as much as the managers....and THAT isn't right.

There are other ways to combat poverty, killing small business isn't one of them....but for me personally, you pay a burger flipper more than you pay me.....we have a problem Houston. Just saying.

Problem is that it isn't the wages, but the cost of living expenses: gas prices, rent, bills, food, and the other BS. If the minimum wage goes up to that amount, expect the costs to be driven up as well.

DeletedUser34

bah, I don't care about that. It truly depends on where you live. Where I live now the pay vs cost of living is extremely lopsided. Where I am now, and where I am moving, not so much.

But it is still a problem that While the government can force people to get a minimum wage of 22.00, if they don't make a company raise the cost up by the same percentage, My 19 years experience in something specific is out the window. IE: Here in this dump town, they pay college grads about 10.00 for business degrees. (which is a croc if you ask me) It is already bad enough that the burger flipper at McDonalds makes 8.25 an hour with NO skills or student loans to pay back.

This came about with the raises over the years in min wage, but not the corresponding increase for everyone else.

And you don't want to get me started on living in our means.....We asked for most of our financial problems..but that is another topic.

DeletedUser3

But is this the fault of the economy, or the fault of greedy corporate structure, where the goal of profit undermines employee wage scales? Or is it somewhere in fault by the government, for enacting NAFTA, CAFTA, and other programs that actually reward corporations for using out-of-U.S. workers? Do we look at this issue on a shallow level or, if such an increase were to be imposed, should it come with Fair Trade stipulations, U.S. based production benefits, and out of U.S. production penalties?

DeletedUser34

It is the fault of government. It is very typical of them to implement a "standard" and only work it out halfassed. It is also the governments fault because THEY allowed the open boarders, which allows for work that could have been done here to be done elsewhere and imported.

Anyway you slice it.....it is the governments fault.

DeletedUser2259

Its the governaments faul for not executing more non-productive people....:razz::laugh:
Just kidin.

DeletedUser3422

I think money represents labor and what matters is how many goods and services your labor can purchase. Artificially raising the cost of nonskilled labor might sound good but there are unintended consequences. Some consequences could be fewer jobs for teens, people not getting raises and luxury services like dog grooming, haircuts and movie theater tickets will be purchased by fewer people and less often. We all prioritize our spending and the more we spend on necessities the less we have to spend on niceties. Yes raising the minimum wage will adversely affect business in general but it will negatively affect big business less. Big business and big government go hand in hand, don’t let the believers in a benevolent government fool you.

DeletedUser

Sirerik... The rate of unskilled labor is artificially inflated already... see congress. :laugh:

You are right in that a flat minimum wage is a problem because there are some jobs (this is very true of the dependent in a family... i.e. 17 year old) which do not need a living wage for the work. I've argued for some time that the minimum wage for 16-17 and 18+ actually needs to be changed. The other problem is that inflation varies across the country. What is poor where you are is well off here, that kind of thing.

DeletedUser

right in that a flat minimum wage is a problem because there are some jobs (this is very true of the dependent in a family... i.e. 17 year old) which do not need a living wage for the work. I've argued for some time that the minimum wage for 16-17 and 18+ actually needs to be changed. The other problem is that inflation varies across the country. What is poor where you are is well off here, that kind of thing.

WOW means tested wages, what a novel idea. I'm all for that. Those who don't need a salary shouldn't get paid at all, good idea, am loving that.

DeletedUser34

WOW means tested wages, what a novel idea. I'm all for that. Those who don't need a salary shouldn't get paid at all, good idea, am loving that.
It is called volunteering :p
Trust me, I have this down to a science...I have 20 pages of a discussion on that topic.
Volunteer with benefits...boom, problem solved all around.

DeletedUser3422

It is called volunteering :p
Trust me, I have this down to a science...I have 20 pages of a discussion on that topic.
Volunteer with benefits...boom, problem solved all around.
Volunteer with benefits:DWe already do this minus the work aspect.

DeletedUser

So what happens when a person 16,17,18 actually need a living wage?(I've been on my own fiscally sicne 17)
A person should get paid for the job they do regardless of age, color, sex, etc.
I am on the fence about a government mandated minimun wage anyway.
We have to much government intervention already, since big government exist in so much of our lives then maby there is a need for minimum wage hence the fence for me.
Around here 22/hr seems excessive and will afford a lifestyle well above entry level work.

DeletedUser3422

“So what happens when a person 16,17,18 actually need a living wage?” I have had this conversation with my 20yo stepson numerous times since he was 16. He did it his way and worked two 30 hours a week minimum wage jobs and rented a room from somebody. Many employers set pay rates and give raises to attract and keep quality employees. Jobs that require more skills, education, training, dedication, risk or nastiness tend to pay more according to the level of job requirements. People who troubleshoot electrical components in human waste tanks tend to get more pay than people who troubleshoot cable TV in homes. Now my 20yo installs moisture barriers in home crawl spaces, full time with benefits and a substantial pay raise. As his skill, experience, education and training increase so will his pay because his employer will not want him to quit and work for her competition. Now if he gets in the habit of doing sloppy work, calling in sick or is rude to home owners his boss will encourage him to go work elsewhere instead of motivating him to stay.

DeletedUser3972

There are so many things that go into a discussion and what the issues are with having minimum wages and whether they should be raised or not. 1: Minimum wage jobs usually require no special skills or education level and can be done by anyone willing and physically capable, of doing the job 2: If the minimum wage is increased, costs go up, prices go, people in skilled jobs or jobs that require education demand pay increases, costs and prices go up again 3: People who earn minimum wage should not try to live like they make more than minimum wage, i.e. latest i-phone, HD TV, etc. 4: The state of the economy is forcing some people who can do skilled work or that are educated to take min wage jobs as a last resort, therfore skewing the min wage workforce towards more people who actually need more money to survive than a min wage job provides. I could keep going, but I doubt most of you want to read a novel. I have worked minimum wage in the past, multiple jobs at once to make ends meet. I decided to get a better paying job. I realize that not everyone can do that, especially in today's job market, but minimum wage jobs are really meant for high school kids, college students who want to work through school (at least until they can get an internship/job with similar skill development) and perhaps people who ONLY want to work part time to stay busy or help boost the family income for a short while. The best way to fix the minimum wage problem is to improve the economy, not increase minimum wage.

DeletedUser

“So what happens when a person 16,17,18 actually need a living wage?” I have had this conversation with my 20yo stepson numerous times since he was 16. He did it his way and worked two 30 hours a week minimum wage jobs and rented a room from somebody. Many employers set pay rates and give raises to attract and keep quality employees. Jobs that require more skills, education, training, dedication, risk or nastiness tend to pay more according to the level of job requirements. People who troubleshoot electrical components in human waste tanks tend to get more pay than people who troubleshoot cable TV in homes. Now my 20yo installs moisture barriers in home crawl spaces, full time with benefits and a substantial pay raise. As his skill, experience, education and training increase so will his pay because his employer will not want him to quit and work for her competition. Now if he gets in the habit of doing sloppy work, calling in sick or is rude to home owners his boss will encourage him to go work elsewhere instead of motivating him to stay.
I don't know if you are for or aginst minimum wages but this whole statement is an argument aginst min wage. I see little room for government intervention in the above statement. Like I said the government is so deeply involved in every aspect of our existance that minimum wage brings in more issues than mentioned above.