• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

72 Steps to Build a Mansion

Triopoly Champion

I finished designing the floor plan of my imaginary mansion.

There will be a circular fireplace locating on the center of the main floor greeting area like the one showing from the last attached image.

There's the flexibility which you can elongate the garage and make it a 5-Cars-Garage if desirable.

Attachments

• Cleveland Giga Main Floor.png
    Cleveland Giga Main Floor.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Cleveland Giga 2nd Floor.png
    Cleveland Giga 2nd Floor.png
    174.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Cleveland Giga Basement.png
    Cleveland Giga Basement.png
    155.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Cleveland Giga Roof Lines.png
    Cleveland Giga Roof Lines.png
    170.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Cleveland Giga 1st Floor Roofs.png
    Cleveland Giga 1st Floor Roofs.png
    31 KB · Views: 0
  • Cleveland Giga Roof of Breakfast Nook.png
    Cleveland Giga Roof of Breakfast Nook.png
    109.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Cleveland Giga on 1.25 Acre Lot.png
    Cleveland Giga on 1.25 Acre Lot.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Circular Fireplace.jpg
    Circular Fireplace.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1

The Lady Redneck

OK Please add a wine cellar to mine, and a conservatory. I also want Eco features like solar panels, wind turbine, biomass or ground rod heating. Plus underground water tank system to collect rain water for auto watering system the garden. I also need enough acerage to have sustainable wood source. And a fishing lake, and golf course. A private air strip. And As I would need gardeners and estate workers, pilot, chauffeur, and house staff. I would require estate housing., build gate lodges at the drive way entrances. Plus a servants wing on the main house. And make sure the build quality is to an appropriate standard that reflects the comfort I wish my staff to have. . Could you please factor in those costs.

As for a swimming pool not being needed if mansion is for retired people. Not only is one needed, but also a gym especially in areas where the weather gets either to hot, or to cold for the owner to venture out doors as the ability to keep oneself fit is a priority. In fact. In these days of covid. this is a must have for all.

Also need the cost of architect fees, and costs associated with getting building warrants and planning permission.

As for the Architectural style A Robert Adams mansion would do nicely

Last edited:

Triopoly Champion

And a fishing lake, and golf course. A private air strip.
Just these 3 special features together will require at least 5 to 6 acres and will cost at least half a million to 750,000.

A basement storage room can turn into the wine cellar if large enough. As far as the underground water systems and the building permissions, it depends on the city and the state. The total cost can vary by a large amount if it's like in Santa Barbara Estate.

In my design, the guest suites are as comfortable as the master suite, only smaller in the dimensions. Of course, for the Jet Tub, it's only available in the master bathroom. An extra kitchen will typically be efficient for the guest or staff suite.

The expected total of your desirable mansion will be around 3.1 to 3.4 millions nearby the capital city of my state.

Last edited:

The Lady Redneck

OK Thank you Tuck. Given the price you quoted here are some further ammendments. Now as I am Scottish so would like some link to my homeland and you did say some materials could be sourced from other countries. Could I have it build from Scottish Granite A mix of the red, blue and silver please. OH, and gray Granite for the estate workers cottages And I am really not sure if the acreage you quote is enough. I would also like formal gardens including a rose garden and 4 box parterre, around the house plus a Victorian style walled garden and greenhouses large enough to supply the needs of the house and an orchard. (I would oversee the landscaping of the gardens myself) And would like the surrounding parklands to be inspired by the work of Lancelot (Capability) Brown. Oh and a stable block for 4 - 6 horses and a Manege.

Last edited:

The Lady Redneck

I think I need to hire an Estate Manager and Secretary to deal with all this mundane every day stuff. I can then take off to the Bahamas or maybe The Maldives and leave them to it. Will return once all the work is done so I can start buying furniture.

Lady Gato

I think I need to hire an Estate Manager and Secretary to deal with all this mundane every day stuff. I can then take off to the Bahamas or maybe The Maldives and leave them to it. Will return once all the work is done so I can start buying furniture.
Oh Oh -- you have to hire an interior designer - perhaps the "Property Brothers" or Hilary Farr from "Love it or List it". Shouldn't cost more than $10 - $15 000. (for their services - materials are extra) Saves you having to measure for draperies or finding just the right shade of mauve for your walls. ;)

The Lady Redneck

Lady G THAT is a perfect idea!!! Why do we not buy neighboring Estates? That way we could both laze away the build time in The Bahamas and leave Tuck to get on with it. Then come back for all the good stuff. We could go shopping, swap ideas...... I really fancy a mosaic design for the tiles and surrounds of the indoor pool.

Lady Gato

That's a wonderful idea -- setting someone up to build the neighboring estates. I love the idea of Spanish or Moroccan tile for the pool area. And perhaps a Spanish pool guy (not a boy) - think Antonio Banderas - to keep said pool clean. Must set up a lot of interviews . . . .