• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

A Crazy Thought on Events

Ericness

So I've spending most of this year's soccer event thinking about how much I don't like the mini-games. The tournament is problematic for reasons we don't need to rehash here and the training is essentially a re-skinned frog pond from the spring event - yeah it's a classic, but do we really need two of these year after year?

That got me thinking about a way Inno could improve these games, make the events more relevant to the everyday FoE experience, and better utilize existing resources. I am pretty sure my idea would get DNSL'ed but I am curious what people think anyway. Basically I would like to see event games that challenge us with tasks more in line with everyday game play. I had two things in mind.

1. Challenges where we are presented with a blank grid and several buildings from our current era. The goal is using only the space and structures provided to hit certain numbers of happiness/population/productivity/etc with event currency paid out based how well these can be maximized. It would encourage players to think strategically about their setup and give some buildings that might get overlooked (especially in the later ages) a place to shine.

2. An event long settlement that we actually have to build with cumulative achievements required to progress. No tearing everything down and rebuilding for the next quest, you need to progress it along to a complete, theoretically functional village that can perhaps even have buildings to produce event currency (with a trade off in game play of course). Something like making Santa's Village, a Pirate Outpost, and so on in the front half of the event and then using it to complete the dailies in the back half.

And that's my crazy idea for the day.

DreadfulCadillac

So I've spending most of this year's soccer event thinking about how much I don't like the mini-games. The tournament is problematic for reasons we don't need to rehash here and the training is essentially a re-skinned frog pond from the spring event - yeah it's a classic, but do we really need two of these year after year?

That got me thinking about a way Inno could improve these games, make the events more relevant to the everyday FoE experience, and better utilize existing resources. I am pretty sure my idea would get DNSL'ed but I am curious what people think anyway. Basically I would like to see event games that challenge us with tasks more in line with everyday game play. I had two things in mind.

1. Challenges where we are presented with a blank grid and several buildings from our current era. The goal is using only the space and structures provided to hit certain numbers of happiness/population/productivity/etc with event currency paid out based how well these can be maximized. It would encourage players to think strategically about their setup and give some buildings that might get overlooked (especially in the later ages) a place to shine.

2. An event long settlement that we actually have to build with cumulative achievements required to progress. No tearing everything down and rebuilding for the next quest, you need to progress it along to a complete, theoretically functional village that can perhaps even have buildings to produce event currency (with a trade off in game play of course). Something like making Santa's Village, a Pirate Outpost, and so on in the front half of the event and then using it to complete the dailies in the back half.

And that's my crazy idea for the day.
I like this Idea, particularly the first one! Reconstruction mode was one of my favorite things about of the game, before it completely and utterly broke anyway.

wolfhoundtoo

At the risk of being a downer, just how would these games encourage people to go for things with diamonds? There's a reason why events are structured around percentage chances.

Emberguard

Reconstruction mode broke? When was that?
Within the last few days. Desktop specifically. However I did clear cookies + cache and it appears to be working again on my device. So if someone is still having issues it may be worth clearing cookies + cache and see if that clears it up

Expletive Deleted

I like this as a concept. A lot of the event minigames are on a spectrum from frustrating to boring. The event quests have become repetitive and the excitement of an event has been dulled. Something like this would make them more interesting if it were done well enough. Anything to bring a new level of creativity to events.

At the risk of being a downer, just how would these games encourage people to go for things with diamonds? There's a reason why events are structured around percentage chances.

My immediate thought here would be similar enough to using diamonds in current -basic- build operations. Completing construction, immediate cook cycles (when applicable), unique and more powerful buildings etc.

---

The real issue would be how you would present the daily rewards. As is you can rush a lot of quests and save currency for a reward you want and that's fine. Something like this would mean the majority of people wouldnt even have the bulk of the currency they would be earning until well into the event if not more than halfway through. Which would limit the access to the first few days rewards.
Meaning if it took everyone that wasnt using diamonds time to build ther event city, the first days would be exclusive offers to the diamond players. Right now you dont need diamonds to rush a dozen or two quests, you just need to plan ahead and use your resources and collections wisely.

Ebeondi Asi

WHat matters is "Do you want the prize?" not gee it is boring, or not interesting enough. In fact if it is turning away some players ? good. then I can have a better chance of winning prizes.

Emberguard

not gee it is boring, or not interesting enough. In fact if it is turning away some players ? good. then I can have a better chance of winning prizes.
The first priority should be to make a solid product that people enjoy. Not something that people find boring. There will be a point when people lose interest simply from doing the same thing over a extended period of time, but if you make the game good then people will spend money on it. That doesn’t mean easy, just a quality game.

As to event Rewards, once you’ve figured out what the event is then you can figure out how to monetise it.

Glockgemini

Least favorite mini-game: St. Patrick's
Best mini-game: Archeology, except for those darn medallions. I never got all 8.
Best field mini-game: Forge Bowl (just with the 100D coach)
I guess there are no more short events. Then, the prizes were small too. Remember Magnum Opus? (I have 13 now). Checkmate Square?, Royal gateway? Sundial? Most are pretty useless now except for IndA and below.

Ericness

Great points about monetization being an issue, but I'm sure they could figure out something.

My new crazy idea is some sort of raiding/plundering based competition for the summer event (assuming it stays pirate themed).