• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

A new approach to Wishing Well farms, the DC city

DeletedUser30312

I'm throwing out some ideas here about using DCs to build up WW farms. This isn't a guide, just some theorycrafting; if any one wants to build a formal strategy out of it, go ahead.

Anyway, my WW farm over on Parkog started out about 2 years ago when I realized I'd been doing recurring quests wrong. Because I'd gained a pair of WWs in the 2016 Fall Event, I decided to recycle it into a WW farm. The plan at the time was to run the GE with the city to win more WWs. GE WWs were eventually replaced by the Fountain of Youth, but in all this time I've only managed to win two FoYs in that city. Bad RNG I guess.

Yesterday, I won enough fragments to complete a WW Shrink Kit, and I got to thinking about how the GE hadn't really panned out for my farm, but rather how I'd gained my WWs primarily through events and that the DCs had enough similarities to event structure maybe to be a viable way of building up a WW farm. I can handle nearly all the DC tasks over on that city, and I started thinking how to structure a city to complete them and build up a WW farm.

I'd include the use of RQs and the GE as secondary strategies. Some DC tasks are based around completing other quests and the GE anyway. Exploiting RQs makes quest completion DC tasks easy. I wouldn't go with a full-blown HQS though, the whole point is to build a WW farm, and not cover the city with supply buildings. CR does advocate gathering lots of WWs/FoYs for later use, but I think a WW farm really doesn't need to have an advanced age, since the whole point is to farm diamonds and the WW's age is irrelevant to diamond production. I suppose some aspects of the HQS could work here though, since CR was all about parking in HMA and CA, and I think both are ideal for WW farms. Main downside to the HQS is that it predates DCs, and I don't know how well the two really mesh. Basically, I'd say it's probably okay to start with a HQS into HMA, gather a starting number of WWs to kick off the farm, say 5-10 and then transition to the DC strategy fully. Maybe CA would work too, but my farm is solidly parked in HMA, so that's what I'm familiar with. Keep in mind that I'm not really keen on the HQS myself, but I find it to have some very useful insights into doing RQs.

GE of course can award useful buildings including the FoY, but the Little Wishing Well is the real goal for the farm. FoYs are good for WW placeholders though. Generally I negotiate through the GE, since I have the city pumping out about 150-200 goods a day, but some DCs require fighting as well as negotiating.

Now onto the tasks themselves.

First off there's coins, collecting and paying them. Now, parking in HMA has me with a surplus of nearly 26 million coins because I spend them on almost nothing, but it's taken some time to build this up. I think aiming for special buildings is ideal here for coin collection since they make more than normal houses. The DC can award stuff like SoKs, Oases, and Fishing Huts, and the GE has the SSW and Tribal Square, which are good for the coin production aspect, and there's the Fnord RQ which can exploit this along with the DC. Hell, if you get a DC with a coin collection and quest task, Fnord will do them both at once. Anyway, I like using the Oasis/Tribal Square here, because they produce coins and goods which help DC completion, and they generate enough population to run my Alchemists (see below) without needing any normal houses. The Fishing Hut is similar, but because it's 33% bigger, I consider it slightly inferior, although it's worth it as a placeholder. SoKs and SSWs are good for the FP production, in case one gets an FP spending task, but I wouldn't go too overboard on them because the SoKs don't have a lot of population.

Then there's supply production. This is where HMA and CA are ideal because the Alchemists and Clockmakers are so small, and easy to cycle the 24 hour x2 production quests for those buildings. This completes RQs to take one DC task, it produces supplies to complete another type of task, and produced supplies can be paid out to complete another task. That leaves the complete x 5/15 minute or 1/4/8 hour quests that everyone just loves so much! Well, those really aren't too bad either if you're cycling RQs IME. I find that about 10-12 supply buildings generally tend to be enough to cover DC production tasks, including the dreaded 83 5 minute productions, with no more than say 3-4 Blacksmiths to handle some overflow. If you're doing 5 or 6 production quests every day anyway, you should be able to handle this task. Another bonus is that these small production building don't really require a lot of population, so you can get away with staffing them with Oases or Tribal Squares. (Though again, I haven't really tried this seriously in CA, so I don't know how well it works with Clockmakers).

Next there's goods. Some tasks require collecting goods and others require guild treasury donations, so you're going to want to generate a good number of them. And this is where the Oasis/Tribal Square continues to be useful. Downside is that they are only 5 goods/day but they are plunder safe if motivated. WWs themselves are also a decent source of goods, so they'll start cranking them out as you build them. The lower aged goods producing GBs are all useful here, the ToB, LoA, SMB, and FoD make a good solid foundation of goods production. And if you're going to be cycling through the RQs, build the Chateau to get more goods from the quests. This is a reason to stop the city at CA -- CA is the last age with x2 24 hour productions. Indy makes this x4, though Gunsmiths are okay if you're satisfied with only half as many quests, WWs are the focus here anyway; however PE absolutely positively sucks for productions since it's at x5 with two awkward big buildings and a third which requires 2-lane roads. The WWs and GBs then start making unrefined goods at ME which further complicates DC manipulation.

I recommend sticking with only the simpler negotiations and skipping DCs that have complex negotiations because of their high costs unless you picked a chest with WW/Shrink Kit fragments for the day.

I don't really recommend the multiproducers. They tend to be big and they require a lot of population, which then requires more happiness, and this eats up WW space. OTOH, they can produce goods or be used for production tasks. If you're going to use them, stick with a smaller one like the Aviary, Sunken Treasure, Rosarium, or Mad Scientist. I definitely don't recommend the Terrace Farm. Sets aren't too bad though, I have one Cherry Garden in my city, and that supplements the city with coins, supplies, goods,and happiness, and the pieces can be won in the DC. There's the Indian Palace too, and while it's more flexible, it requires 7 more spaces.

You'll have to do some fighting with DCs, but I don't find this too difficult either. First off, don't scout on the Continent Map unless you absolutely need to, since you'll get map advancement tasks if you have any scouted and unconquered provinces. If you want to fight rather than negotiate the GE, you'll probably need more units, but from negotiating and parking in HMA, I have plenty of units from the GE and some DC prizes to handle this without normal barracks. I have 4 Rogue Hideouts which seems to be ideal, and they can be slowly acquired from the DC, as well as a nice number of unattached rogues from DCs and relics. You'll want the Zeus and CdM for the attack boosts, but I've found that I can handle HMA combat well enough without the CoA. The Terracotta Army would probably be quite useful after getting the Zeus and CdM to level 10 for the extra attack bonus as well as the defense. Another reason to stay in the low ages is that the bonuses for the GE and DC armies you'll face aren't as high in the lower ages, so even a moderately leveled Zeus and CdM should be enough to give an advantage. The Traz shouldn't be necessary if you primarily negotiate the GE, and it takes up a lot of space you'll want for the WWs. The FoD can probably handle a good deal of the needed happiness, and I have some special event buildings which also produce happiness.

Polivate and tavern tasks are also pretty simple. You'll want to maintain at least 40-50 active friends for this stuff, but otherwise it shouldn't be a serious issue.

The daily chests to aim for are definitely the two chests that offer WW fragments, one has 1/3/5/7 WW fragments, the other has 3 or 5 fragments for the WW or the Shrink kit. If both come up, go for the second chest. You'll probably need to open about 8 of each chest to get a complete set of fragments, but you are guaranteed fragments. Next highest priority would be the collector's chest, which has a 5% chance for the WW. After that, I'd probably choose the Rogue's chest for unattached Rogues followed by the Battle Commander's Chest for unattached units. Also, the Challenger's Chest has a 7% chance to award a WW with every 7 successful DC completion, so you can slowly build up WWs there.

Because DC tasks are very similar to event quests, a city built around DCs shouldn't have a lot of trouble getting through an event, and plenty of events are good opportunities to win more WWs and/or Shrink Kits.

DeletedUser31440

How far are you going in GE each week? I've gotten 13 FoY's on my farm on Y, that's only been around for 383 days. I do have a ToR, but that's only popped out 4 of them.

DeletedUser30312

I usually get to the end of level 3. ToR usually just makes 1 ups and Store Buildings. In any case, FoY isn't as good as it was since you can slowly get Little Wishing Wells through the DC.

My thoughts on GBs with a DC strategy:

The essentials:
ToB, LoA, SMB, FoD: Build for the goods; the boosts and the FoD's happiness are also good for the city. ToB might help a little with population if you stay low.
Zeus, CdM, TA: Build for the combat boosts, CdM will also generate FPs; wait on the TA until after the other two are at level 10.
Chateau: Since you're exploiting RQs, build this to boost rewards, particularly the goods (diamonds too for that matter, but you only get them once per age per quest).

Oracle: Might be useful for the happiness if you want to stay low. Not a very strong GB, but at least it's small.
Observatory: Build it if a guild requires it. Otherwise, not useful.
ToR: Might as well build it if you're doing any serious GE.
Colosseum: You're kidding, right? You want as much space as possible for WWs, and Col will only waste it.
CoA: Optional. I can fight well enough without it in HMA. Possibly if a city advances into the higher ages, the extra combat boost might be necessary.
Hagia: I'd avoid it because of the size.
Notre Dame: Junk as always.
Basil: Don't really need it, optional at best.
Deal: Too big. Skip it.
Capitol: Junk. You won't need a lot of population, and the supply production probably won't be important.
RAH: The goods production is nice, but it's another of the really big GBs taking space away from WWs.
Traz: I'd avoid it due to the size unless you're doing a lot of fighting and really need the units.
Space Needle: You mean Waste of Space Needle. Just as useless as always.
Atomium: Probably unnecessary. The guild goods won't help you with donation tasks, and you may not need the happiness. And it's relatively big.
Cape: May come in useful later on. Don't need to rush it though.
Habitat: Probably won't need the population.
Inno: Useful if you really need population for the city, but I'd avoid building it just for the FP so the population gains doesn't eat up all the happiness.
Lotus: Don't need it.
Voyager: Skip it. Save the space for WWs.
Dynamic Tower: Something of a luxury, but if you advance into upper ages, the goods could be invaluable.
Arc: The Arc can be just as much of a powerhouse here as anywhere else. Don't really need it, but it won't hurt either if you want to build it. Biggest benefit here is probably from the increased number of medals from GB contributions.
RFP: A luxury. There's plenty of other places to get goods, and the boost to BPs isn't really necessary.
AO: Even though it makes FP, it's really too big to be worth it.
Gaia: Junk.
Seed Vault: A mildly useful luxury, but a low age city can get by without it. A WW farm may find it useful in ME and after since it cam make refined goods.
Kraken: Might be useful for the instant kills if you need to fight, but it doesn't need to be built right away. FPs are an added bonus.
Atlantis Museum: This is useful mainly for plundering. The goods production isn't very good on its own.
Blue Galaxy: Could be useful later, as it's supposed to double WW productions, even diamonds. You'd probably want a good number of WWs first.

DeletedUser32824

Is this strategy more relevant with the addition of the fragment quests? (Knowing you are getting SOME WW progres vs. every once in a while getting a 5% chance?).

I ask because I've done DCs for almost a year and probably won like 2 WWs. I've gotten 6 WWs total (most from grand prizes in events) and 13 FOY since the creation of my city. I wonder if you did GE 64 each week (heck you could find out if a FOY is even a prize for 64 before doing it) and did DCs every day if you would come up with more WWs or more FOY. I'm leaning toward FOY

DeletedUser31592

I've given up GE on my WW farms due to time. I complete DCs only if I can complete them in under 5 minutes OR it includes a WW, WW fragment, or WW shrink kit fragment. If it includes one of those 3, I complete the DC regardless of how time consuming it is. I've gained 3 WWs this week- one as a prize, one from finally getting 15 fragments in that city, and one as a Challenger's Chest prize. The Challenger's Chest is the reason I complete non-WW related DCs.

Those results are among 4 worlds. I also have two baby WW farms that can't quite complete all of the DCs yet- not enough goods to do negotiations and not enough troops to fight, lol. They are newly formed and being prepped for obtaining WWs during the Winter Event.

DeletedUser33179

I don't understand why you advocate for TA over CoA (after getting zeus/CDM) for useful extra attack bonus.

Both take same amount of space, 4x6. But CoA requires far fewer fps to level & goods to get it are readily obtainable via simple goods trading (even while still in BA or IA). Also, at level 10 it's attack boosts are 30%. Conversely, TA requires a ton of fps just to buy the goods from someone to build it, as well as being much more expensive to level it. And it provides 10% less attack bonuses at level 10 then CoA.

Only thing TA gives that CoA doesn't is defense bonuses. Why would the city you describe need TAs defense bonus? What are you wanting to protect from plunderers? Your coin building recommendations are oasis, ssw, tribal square, sok - all non plunderable if motivated. You advocate 10-12 supply buildings, so most of those could get motivated. If none do, shouldn't matter much, as having one plundered infrequently is no significant detriment to what you trying to accomplish. Heck, you could do blacksmiths exclusively for DC tasks - no one will plunder those - if concerned about motivation. Goods come from GBs, oasis/tribal square, & RQs - again, nothing plunderable. WW/FOY are non plunderable. Even most main Event building prizes, which are useful for most everything (population, happiness, coins, etc) are often non plunderable.

Woody*

Is the main goal of your city to earn diamonds? If so, I recommend doing 63 encounters in GE every week - which would result in winning an average of 148 diamonds per week. I would also recommend finishing the 64th encounter if the prize is a FoY or something else you want.

I have many diamond farms and find this method is the most efficient way to accumulate diamonds (and wells/fountains). Moreso than daily quests, although the WW fragments and WW shrink fragments are nice. I build up Zeus, CoA and CdM to level 10, and ToR to level 10 on the farms I do GE, and i keep them Colonial Age or lower. I also get 1 rogue hideout and bring my Traz up to level 10. This is enough to complete GE4 on mostly auto attack half-way through GE4 and then I negotiate the rest (my wells provide plenty of goods, and negotiating is much faster than manually fighting).

Woody*

Actually, I should have said that buying diamonds is the most efficient way to get them...outside of that, GE is the best way in my experience.

DeletedUser30900

what's wrong with doing ge and DC the same time???? can't believe i actually read the whole thing for no reason.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Personally, I think that Iron Age prior to unlocking PVP is the best place to set up shop for a WW Farm.

First off, you don't have to worry about plunderers (not that there are many in IA anyways). Collect when convenient.

If you build a Chateau and dump your fp into it, you get more coins than you will ever need after level 20 or so, plus all the benefits of doing cheap easy RQ's. Also, GE is very simple in IA compared to later ages, but if you don't want to waste space on combat GB's so you can successfully fight, a couple of Bronze age goods producers (whether goods buildings or special buildings) plus RQ's will provide all the goods you need to negotiate all the way through the end of level 4 each week.

A moderately leveled Seed Vault would give you all the supplies you need for tons of UBQ's plus provide a chance at diamonds while aiding, but a Dynamic Tower would work as well for supply needs.

For those who think this isn't easy, possible, or profitable, just look up my cities on US L and M. Both are under a year old, and are very profitable. They aren't WW Farms, but having built these IA worlds, I now know I wouldn't want my diamond farm to be anywhere else.

DeletedUser30312

Is this strategy more relevant with the addition of the fragment quests? (Knowing you are getting SOME WW progres vs. every once in a while getting a 5% chance?).

Well, the fragments are sort of an inspiration for the idea here, since there's the possibility of slowly acquiring more WWs and shrinks. It's not a full-formed strategy at all on my part, just some thoughts and brainstorming based on how things have been going with my city. Like I said, if someone likes some of the basic ideas and wants to build a full blown strategy out of it, I don't mind, I'm just putting the basic idea out there.

I don't understand why you advocate for TA over CoA (after getting zeus/CDM) for useful extra attack bonus.

Actually, it's after getting the Zeus/CdM to level 10 and their progression slows down. I think it's partially that there's a devious part of my mind trying to troll PvP types here by jacking up the defense of a city that's hard to hard to plunder in the first place. :)

More seriously, I'm thinking of staying relatively low level, and the CoA bonus might not be necessary in a low city that doesn't fight. I haven't found it necessary yet. The TA honestly might be overkill too depending on defense needs, but when it comes to city defense, I'm in the deterrence camp.

Personally, I think that Iron Age prior to unlocking PVP is the best place to set up shop for a WW Farm.

First off, you don't have to worry about plunderers (not that there are many in IA anyways). Collect when convenient.

My personal city hasn't been IA for a while, and none of the 4 cities that I plan to keep long term are pre-PvP. The one city I have that is still IA completed the IA tree long before the PvP changes went in unfortunately, so it gets some attacks from other IA players who've unlocked PvP. I don't feel like doing a brand new city to test things out either. But yeah, I agree that setting up the city's basic foundations in pre-PvP IA is probably a good idea.

DeletedUser31440

If the city is based around DC's I would not recommend hiding behind the PvP wall. I've got an IA city that hasn't unlocked it yet and it is the biggest headache when trying to complete DC's. Granted you can use GvG map, GE, C-Map and events/HQL's but it's 100000000000000% easier to just find and beat a 2 spearfighter defense.

DeletedUser30312

If the city is based around DC's I would not recommend hiding behind the PvP wall. I've got an IA city that hasn't unlocked it yet and it is the biggest headache when trying to complete DC's. Granted you can use GvG map, GE, C-Map and events/HQL's but it's 100000000000000% easier to just find and beat a 2 spearfighter defense.

Right, hitting people at the bottom of the hood is good for those Win x battles DCs, because that's where Spearfighters tend to occur, and even a more proper defense usually won't be boosted and/or have outdated units. You'd park behind the PvP wall to get the Zeus and maybe the CdM in place first, but that might be turning into a general strategy these days.

DeletedUser31440

I'm still tweaking my diamond farm strategy, but this is a pretty general overview on my process:

Start a new city and keep it in BA until (takes about 60-75 days), utilize Helmet RQ's:
  1. Zeus at 10
  2. Tavern fully upgraded
  3. Enough fp packs to buy GB goods that you want going into IA
  4. Find goods dealers for the GB's that you want to buy goods for and set up the purchase terms now.
Move up to Iron Age (on Tuesday after GE starts), tech rush to unlock Reconstruction Mode and Ballista's (tech rush isn't entirely necessary if you move up after GE starts, but still my preferred method. Build the city up to where you have 1 cottage of extra population, 4 Ballista Camps & 4 Archer Camps. Once tech and building is done:
  1. Hunt bp's for Traz and CoA, if you don't already have a full set.
  2. Buy goods for Traz, and trade up for CoA.
  3. Traz to lvl 5, CoA to 10.
  4. CDM down and up to 10. (Optional, but preferred for quicker/easier GE)
  5. Traz to 12, Zeus to 11, CoA to 11, CDM to 11.
  6. ToR at level 1 whenever possible (FoY's & fp's to get everything up and running)
  7. Once military is complete, hunt CF bp's and buy goods for it.
  8. Build CF and level to 10.
  9. From here you can either hunt more CF bp's and keep leveling it, or you can start leveling ToR's.
*UNTESTED PORTION*
I think I can manage 6 worlds fighting through GE each week, with that in mind:

After you have gotten to the point where your oldest diamond farm has more Wishing Wells and Fountains of Youth than space it's time to transition the city. Start by making a new diamond farm and getting it to the point where it can fight through GE 4. When you have a new city fighting through all 4 levels, take your oldest city out of the GE loop. Delete everything except WW's/FoY's and fill your city with them, this does mean everything (Traz, CDM, CoA, Zeus etc.). This city is now a daily 10 second login to clear tavern (if you keep any friends) and collect your farm in a single swipe.

Even with only WW's/FoY's in your city, you will still be able to get more WW's and WW shrink kits during events. You won't be able to complete or go far in the events, but you can use the daily login currency to try and get more. Remember this city is already full of WW's/FoY's so chances are you will only be going after the shrink kits at this point.

From here it's just a continuous cycle of swapping out GE cities for WW/FoY cities and maintaining the 6 each week for fighting through GE until they become single collection/login farms.

Edit: Untested Portion, don't nuke the GB's, just go GB's, WW's & FoY's only. I think 50 mix between WW & FoY would be a good place to stop and just have it be a single collection city and logoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Woody*

chances are you will only be going after the shrink kits at this point...

Edit: Untested Portion, don't nuke the GB's, just go GB's, WW's & FoY's only. I think 50 mix between WW & FoY would be a good place to stop and just have it be a single collection city and logoff.

I have tested these and can say unequivocally that getting new wells and fountains is more efficient than getting shrink kits. Just keep leveling your town if you run out of room. Keep your GBs. See my towns on Q and W for examples of towns with either a lot of GBs (Q) or just the GBs needed to do 64/64 (W).

DeletedUser32906

I’m new to the farm strategy but quickly souring on the wishing wells and leaning towards maximizing my goods output for negotiation through the expedition. I’ll keep them down as long as there is space but I find myself leaning towards goods production more and more cause it seems the expedition is more reliable for diamonds.

Emberguard

Alternatively, play normally and only gather FP buildings/WWs from events. Get to Colonial Age and park. Now convert into a wishing well factory when events come up. Lots more space and it'll be easier to complete quests for WW farming if it's a normal city to begin with.

(like seriously my normal city is way more efficient in diamond farming and obtaining WWs then my WW cities which makes me wonder if I should just ignore the whole concept and just play.)

DeletedUser32824

I’m new to the farm strategy but quickly souring on the wishing wells and leaning towards maximizing my goods output for negotiation through the expedition. I’ll keep them down as long as there is space but I find myself leaning towards goods production more and more cause it seems the expedition is more reliable for diamonds.

I made a post about this a while back! It works pretty well and I was able to get it up and running in about 1.5 months. The longest part about getting it going is leveling up your friends tavern to make a reliable amount of silver for negotiating (need about 3-5 if you aren't buying a lot of turns with medals)

(like seriously my normal city is way more efficient in diamond farming and obtaining WWs then my WW cities which makes me wonder if I should just ignore the whole concept and just play.)
I'm kind of in the same boat. I kind of got tired of having to do GE every week in my diamond city and kind of turned it into a normal city. I'm trying to get BPs for inno (have the goods) so I can bump up a couple ages from IA and just have a huge colonial city with tons of good making and room for WWs.

I kind of diverged from my strategy I mentioned above because it got kind of tedious, so now my city is more chill and I just kind of collect WWs and do whatever. I didn't even finish the halloween event because I felt kind of meh about micromanaging so many quests. After I get inno though I'll cruise through some of the ages again and see what works.

Edit: On second thought, I'm not so sure about moving up to colonial. I often buy extra turns with medals and in IA they are SO cheap. In colonial they are sure to be a lot more expensive and I don't really have any medal income, so that might be a reason for me to stay in a lower age!

Last edited by a moderator: