• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

A New Day

DeletedUser

So the Forum has gotten a reputation, rightly or wrongly, of being a forbidding place. A place where newbies are eviscerated for asking a simple question. A place where players are made to feel unwelcome. A place where threads devolve into personal battlegrounds. We need to change this.

And I recognize and acknowledge my part in making it seem this way. I have a hard time walking away when I am attacked or insulted, especially when it comes from someone who hasn't played the game very long and responds to feedback with arrogance.

The problem is that there is no way to stop new players from coming on here and either asking "stupid" questions, posting half-baked, non-formatted proposals or getting their backs up when they don't like our answers. We can't fix them. The only thing we can control is how we, as experienced players and frequent contributors, react to them. We haven't done a very good job at that. I may not be the worst offender, but I am right up there.

So here's my "proposal" for all of us frequent responders. Let's stop it. Not stop responding originally, that wouldn't solve anything and would make the Forum a pretty desolate place. No, let's stop responding in kind to the less mature people that occasionally visit the Forum. Let's walk away. Let's quit having to have the last word.

It won't be easy. We've gotten into a habit, and habits are hard to break. I know that for me it will be extremely difficult to do. But I am convinced that unless we take this step, the Forum's reputation will continue to deteriorate, and become an even more toxic environment than it is now.

So, who's with me? Who will pledge to stop the unnecessary snark directed at newbies? Who will pledge to answer questions, even stupid ones, as if the person genuinely needs the help? Who will pledge to give honest, respectful feedback to newbie proposals and then walk away if it is answered with a personal attack? Who will join me in trying to make the Forum a kinder, gentler place? Who wants to start a new day, a better day in the Forum? Anyone?

Agent327

And I recognize and acknowledge my part in making it seem this way. I have a hard time walking away when I am attacked or insulted, especially when it comes from someone who hasn't played the game very long and responds to feedback with arrogance.

That's your problem. You can not know how long someone is playing. You just assume something and use it as your self righteous excuse.

So here's my "proposal" for all of us frequent responders. Let's stop it. Not stop responding originally, that wouldn't solve anything and would make the Forum a pretty desolate place. No, let's stop responding in kind to the less mature people that occasionally visit the Forum. Let's walk away. Let's quit having to have the last word.

Coming from you that is the best joke I read in a long time :)

Don't know what triggered this mea culpa act of you, but I am not buying it.

Emberguard

@Agent327 if the forums are to improve we need you on board with this as well. Give them a chance and see if it works. What do any of us have to lose in trying?

When I was younger my twin and I would fight terribly. But I realised as long as either of us is holding onto the expectations of the other we were never going to stop fighting - we'd never give it a chance to stop because we'd still be looking for when the next conflict would arise. So we talked and agreed to a truce, that even if the other slipped our response would not be to retaliate in kind. You know what? It worked. Almost immediately there was an improvement and we haven't fought since.

Agent327

@Agent327 if the forums are to improve we need you on board with this as well. Give them a chance and see if it works. What do any of us have to lose in trying?

I do not treat people different cause they are new, nor do I immediately label them as a troll once their opinion conflicts with mine. I am not part of the hypocrite elite that has gone astray. I am just a ytroll, so I can not help you.

Twin sister?

Emberguard

Brother. Fraternal, not identical.

Yes, you don't treat people differently based on whether they're new. But this:
Coming from you that is the best joke I read in a long time :)

Don't know what triggered this mea culpa act of you, but I am not buying it.
Would indicate you're against the proposal / idea / olive branch

nor do I immediately label them as a troll once their opinion conflicts with mine. I am not part of the hypocrite elite that has gone astray.
It doesn't matter one way or the other whether you're apart of the aforementioned in the OP, the forum still needs everyone to be on board for the status quo to change.

Even the best of us will always have something we could improve in how we behave and present ourselves. The gist of what the OP is suggesting is not to look for faults in others, to respond in a way that benefits the receiver of the message rather then venting off steam or lashing out.

I am just a ytroll, so I can not help you.
And yet I have seen times when you are not a troll, when you're relaxed and feel safe around those you know. Perhaps you perceive yourself as a troll because you've been told that so many times, however I know you can be better and are better then that. Give yourself a chance as well as Steph. Let them prove you wrong, prove yourself wrong.

Agent327

Would indicate you're against the proposal / idea / olive branch

The person bringing the proposal / idea / olive branch is looking for conflicts almost moments afer he posted this. Forgive me for not taking him serious. To me, that mea culpa looks fake as hell.

And yet I have seen times when you are not a troll, when you're relaxed and feel safe around those you know.

I am always relaxed and safe, so it is not about how I percieve myself, but about how you percieve me. Can't change that.

Being a troll is not my perception. It is what I am told every day, multiple times, so it must be true. Now as a troll, what do I care about their precious forum?

Last edited:

DeletedUser8428

So the Forum has gotten a reputation, rightly or wrongly, of being a forbidding place. A place where newbies are eviscerated for asking a simple question. A place where players are made to feel unwelcome. A place where threads devolve into personal battlegrounds. We need to change this.

I think you're on to something, Longshanks. I also like Roxy's idea, posted just below yours. Since people will post in the first place they see, why not make that the questions forum and rename proposals to (perhaps) improve what's posted there?

Well done.

Emberguard

Being a troll is not my perception. It is what I am told every day, multiple times, so it must be true.
"so it must be true" - so it is in part how you see yourself, regardless of whether it's true or could change.

Now as a troll, what do I care about their precious forum?
Why shouldn't you care? At the moment you're as much apart of the forums as any of us. Wouldn't you like to see this place be a thriving environment both for your sake and everyone else involved?

I think you're on to something, Longshanks. I also like Roxy's idea, posted just below yours. Since people will post in the first place they see, why not make that the questions forum and rename proposals to (perhaps) improve what's posted there?

Well done.
May be worth someone asking the Mods whether they'd like to try that approach.

Agent327

I suggest moving Proposals down to the bottom of the Community Section, move Questions where Proposals is now, change the tag on Proposals to "Community Proposals: format and present your idea here".

Proposal Guideline
  • Idea needs to be about the game, not how the forum or support works.

Agent327

"so it must be true" - so it is in part how you see yourself, regardless of whether it's true or could change.

No, I see myself as a very helpful and supportive person.

Why shouldn't you care? At the moment you're as much apart of the forums as any of us. Wouldn't you like to see this place be a thriving environment both for your sake and everyone else involved?

Only part I have is being the troll.

UBERhelp1

So, who's with me? Who will pledge to stop the unnecessary snark directed at newbies? Who will pledge to answer questions, even stupid ones, as if the person genuinely needs the help? Who will pledge to give honest, respectful feedback to newbie proposals and then walk away if it is answered with a personal attack? Who will join me in trying to make the Forum a kinder, gentler place? Who wants to start a new day, a better day in the Forum? Anyone?
Count me in.

Agent327

This is not the Proposals forum.

Does it matter. Either they look at this as a proposal you are not allowed to make, or you need to put it on the proposals forum where again it is a proposal you are not allowed to make.

Every post you make gives you a choice of whether to confirm what some people say or start to disprove them.

With proof you then label as fake?

DeletedUser36572

The world, game and forums are full of very different people and a lot of them. The real question I what kind of environment you want to create and why.

Personally ... I don't give a rat's rear if a bunch of people cried about their experience. They are no more concerned about seeing I get the experience I want, than I am in ensuring their tender sensibilities are accounted for.

Of course I won't complain if a bunch of folks decide to neuter themselves.

Dido 815 the Scourge

Even though I rarely comment or have any input into the vast majority of threads, I can and will commit to Longshank's “proposal” (even though it wasn’t submitted in the proper format ;)). It’s a step in the right direction for the forums in general and for the FOE gaming community as a whole.

Get on board with it, or don’t. The choice is up to you as individuals. Just remember that doing something positive is better than doing nothing at all.

“Challenge the status quo!”