• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

A Very Casual Settlement test run

DeletedUser29726

In an effort to test just how necessary it is to pay close attention to settlements and finish in a reasonable time I'm preparing to do a 24 hr oriented run on one of my off-worlds. The self-imposed conditions for this will be

1) I'm only allowed to do *anything* on it between 1930 and 0030 my local time.
2) Minimise time spent in it (no 15-minute copper catch-ups)
3) No diamonds used

I expect I'll be close to the first time limit but we'll see. The worst will be the start where I have to endure a full day of no significant copper production and then either run a goods building at half capacity or tear it down to rebuild it a day later. Basing it around 2x8 hrs and being allowed to do things in the morning would be a great help but the purpose is to see how well it goes with little attention and giving myself a second time window to do things in is a slippery slope back towards logging in anytime it's needed.

I'll include a daily update here and screenshots when i remodel.

Day 1:
upload_2019-1-30_20-8-43.png

No obstructions in the initial 8x8 but nearly every expansion adjacent has one, so this is going to be ugly for layouts long-term. My initial layout is nothing special - I could organise it better to fit additional unattached shacks but I have nothing to use the population on yet, so stuff is just thrown in there. I'm only running 1 axe smith, because that's all i can afford to start on 24 hr anyways - my normal start would be 2 if i was paying close attention. I will be taking the 4 hour copper production from shacks before sleep because copper will be tight in the early going whatever i do. I'll try to dream up a way to incorporate my future impediments by tomorrow :)

DeletedUser32824

I've been playing my second settlement very casually in my main world. I bought 7 expansions very quickly and focused on producing all my axes, then replaced them with mead breweries, then replaced those with beast hunters, and finally I am on wool farms with 2d 17h to go and I only need to make 34 wool to be done with goods.

I've been using only shrines and huts to produce copper and have been running my 4 goods buildings on 4 hour intervals during the day and an 8 overnight. I haven't been very good about checking in right when the 4 hr is done, so im probably doing like 2 or 3 4 hour productions during the day (along with only 4 hour productions from my shrines).

I've redone my city once, and that was to replace shacks with huts. I built my first market as I placed my 3 wool farms.

So all this to say, I've been taking this one a little slower and haven't been completing each research as it's available to minimize the amount of times I need to delete half my buildings to get enough diplomacy to do research. After I get my 34 wool I'm going to fill my city with clan totems and complete all of the quests. I should be able to do this with like 2 days remaining.

*Note: I tried to produce 8 hour goods if I could afford them in the event I got the 4x bonus (so it would be 40 and not 20). I got this 3 times, one of them was my first axe production and allowed me to buy 4 expansions in the very beginning, which helped immensely.

Edit: What took the longest was rearranging my city once I was going to build huts and trying to find an efficient use of my land with all the impediments. The rearranging is one of the reasons I favored shrines over markets because I could sneak the shrines into more little spots.

DeletedUser30900

man, I hope you can't meet the deadline, otherwise, all these crybabies gonna have no excuse of completing the settlement in the time limit(even after LOSING SOME SLEEP)

DeletedUser29726

Day 2:

Collected my 20 axes and unlocked shrines and 2 expansions. Now 30 axes from unlocking mead. Running the axe smith at half capacity (8 hr even though i won't collect it for close to 24) as i only have 2300 copper today (1000 left over from starting 5000 + 650 collected from shacks at end of last night + 650 collected from shacks at start of tonight). The alternative is adding two more shrines instead and no axes tonight but that'd shift my collection later by an hour as well as put mead at 3 days away instead of 2. I'll get one shack collection before sleep again. the 5 shrines produce ~4500 copper on 24 hr - and shack collections are 550 twice a night. So I'll overall be making about 1600 excess copper a day now.

upload_2019-1-31_20-37-27.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser32824

Update from me: I finished my 2nd settlement with 2d, 9h left.

DeletedUser29726

Day 3: Just a collection day. Will have Mead Brewery unlocked tomorrow.

DeletedUser29726

Day 4: unlocked mead brewery. detached a bunch of shacks to fit in 1 more shrine. Will get 3 expansions tomorrow :)

upload_2019-2-2_23-43-42.png

DeletedUser29726

Day 5:

Lots of extra copper production now, building up a stash. Need 1.5 cycles on mead + 5 cycles on axes to get to beast hunters and next expansions

upload_2019-2-4_0-3-0.png

DeletedUser29726

Day 6:

Collected and restarted everything on 8 hours so that collection will be at the beginning of the play window tomorrow instead of near the end. Will also be switching to making axes tomorrow.

DeletedUser29726

Day 7:

Collected my mead and tore down to rebuild to axes. I've got 20k copper before starting productions today. I'm going to run 3 axe smiths today and 2 tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll unlock Huts and rebuild to incorporate a few of them. The day after, I will unlock beast hunters with about 8 days to go on the first timer. I use this research point as a benchmark usually for time remaining (6-7ish days when paying attention). In general I'm counting doing 24hrs as 2/3s speed so It's likely I'll be a little slow from the first deadline.

upload_2019-2-5_20-22-6.png

DeletedUser29726

Day 8:

Unlocked huts, scrapped 1 axe smith. twisted things around some to fit in more huts and connected shrines. the new shrines were near the end so are on 8 hour cycles so they can be collected and deleted tomorrow when i unlock beast hunters.

upload_2019-2-7_0-23-59.png

DeletedUser29726

Day 9:

Horn production is underway. Will have 60 by tomorrow for my next 3 expansions and then will need to adjust to head for the remaining goods. I do need quite a bit of wool so unlocking that sooner rather than later is important - and up to then it's axes that'll be in most demand and my focus for production.

upload_2019-2-7_22-34-22.png

DeletedUser29726

Day 10:
Got my first 3 horn expansions - might be the only 3 horn expansions, i'll decide tomorrow when next collection comes in. Currently I'm producing 11*898+375*6 = 12128 copper a day - just enough to run 3 goods buildings. This is a bit more distorted than I expected things to be at this point. I'd still hoped to be supporting 4 goods buildings in a 3 expansion by 4 expansion layout as I do when running faster cycles but apparently copper production is penalized by the long cycles even more than the goods buildings are. I've no doubt I'm not making the first timer now.

upload_2019-2-9_0-56-35.png

DeletedUser29726

Day 11:

Opted to take two more expansions - these will be my last and should allow me to switch to 4 goods buildings once i get ahead a bit on my copper. I switched one beast hunter to an axe smith so far. Overall the goal is to not need to rebuild any goods buildings I take down from here on out to avoid too many 1 hour shift-laters from rebuilding.

upload_2019-2-10_1-1-36.png

DeletedUser29726

Day 12:

Got the 4th goods building in and started - another axe smith. One more of the beast hunters can come down tomorrow and I'll need to fit a mead brewer to replace it.

upload_2019-2-11_0-25-44.png

DeletedUser32824

You've definitely expanded more than me! I'm at 7 expansions and 3 goods buildings with 11 shrines and 6 huts. Will be moving to 4 good 11 shrine when im done with mead. I need like 150 wool though and have never needed that much. Going to be interested to see if I get gold this time! (Probably not!)

DeletedUser29726

Day 13: Squeezed in a mead brewer in place of a beast hunter.

upload_2019-2-12_1-44-53.png

DeletedUser29726

Day 14/15 -

No changes in layout. Last horns now under production. Got a x4 on axes and will be able to unlock and adjust for wool tomorrow. Had the goods to unlock it tonight but no time to make the adjustment anyways