• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Acceptable behavior?

• Thread starter DeletedUser3635
  • Start date

DeletedUser3635

I have a question concerning what I call questionable tactics. A member of my guild just informed us that she was told by a person in her neighborhood that she would be plundered if she did not contribute to his Great Building. Is this acceptable by someone playing the game? Should she just ignore this person or should she file a complaint?

DeletedUser3550

It is kinda crappy, almost blackmail. I would have my best defense ready just in case.

DeletedUser2145

I've seen quite a dozen of people doing the same thing (unless people give them at least 5 fps per week, they get plundered daily), so I'm guessing either no one has looked into it, or it's allowed. I agree with aurelian though, tell your guildmate to prepare herself just in case (or take the offer if she cannot defend her empire).

DeletedUser2711

I would respond with: Oh yeah? Well bring it on.
...then I would attack - even if I lost, I would attack again - everyday, if you can afford to - even if your defense is defeated - so what? Leave nothing to plunder but short-term housing.

Extorters are comical. Apparently, it doesn't hurt to ask these things of neighbors. But try building a friend's list, Mr I-think-I'm-in-the-mob. The FP's will come. Extortion serves no purpose, except to spur your neighbors to rise up against you. And I hope they do.

DeletedUser2931

cyber - bully ?

please advise her to file complaint , , ,

he can play the game within the rules , he may visit to try and sabotage / plunder . but may not ask for ' protection '

* hope her neighbors polarize and together battle the ' cyber - bully '

DeletedUser2382

Its a jerk move, but not too uncommon, and I don't really have a problem with it, part 'o the game as I see it. Set your stuff to finish when you intend to check back in and put up a defense that's strong enough to do some damage. It really is available at all stages of the game. No, you won't neccesarily win, but if you kill a few units and all the attacker gets is a one-hour housing units gold. Its really not worth it. I hit eveyone in my neighborhood, except the guys who can take down 2+ units, and motivate/polish those guys instead so I can finish polishing off the rest of the neighborhood with minimal military buildings. Its not worth it, that simple.

DeletedUser34

Of course it is acceptable behavior if a player decides that is how they want to play. I would never play like that, but then I don't think that this game is meant to be played in such a manner. However, there are no rules against it, and there shouldn't be either. It is a strategy like any other. Not all people who play games are exactly "cool" and or "nice"....obviously.

DeletedUser

I've just agreed to pay Ravengill on Cisgard one forge point per week because she? carried out her threat to begin last Monday by plundering me daily until I did. When I suggested to her that she could have enlisted my support by asking me nicely, she responded by telling me to watch it because the game has rules against harrasment. I should think the creators would see the obvious end to that kind of activity which is that people like Ravengill will ultimately end up playing with themselves.

DeletedUser

I would simply ignore a player like that, my forge points are worth more to me than the goods or coins.
I use them to support guild mates and friends, jerks can get their own.

DeletedUser3313

This kind of behavior gives both pillaging and polishing a bad name. Stand up to it, Cearnaigh! Form a neighborhood resistance! Encourage your neighbors to rise up against this act of tyranny. Polish his tree on Sundays; that always stirs me into an angry lather. Put it right into your profile message that you're the leader of a secret resistance! Write this player messages towing the line of decency and decorum, and sign your messages, "prepare to grab ankle". Fight back Cearnaigh!

DeletedUser

I would suggest that you not listen to Rogan's advice on messages. Toeing the line of decency is a good way to cross it and get reported.
and the proposed sig line is a very good way to do that, in my opinion

resist, fight back, refuse to cooperate, those are all good suggestions as is encouraging your neighbors to join you in resistance.

DeletedUser2589

Well, for a different perspective.... I was able to get out in front of my neighborhood and be the first with a Great Building. All along I would attack and plunder *everyone* almost daily for PvP points and for the best goods/supplies/coins I could get my hands on. I decided that any neighborhood help with the GB would probably need a softening of that approach, so I changed my sig to say that if you donated 5 points to the GB that I would not only refrain from plundering, but would polish/motivate.

From my perspective it's just a different strategy option -- totally within the spirit of the game. There are plenty I still attack and plunder frequently, but at least it's given another route to form stronger bonds with some neighbors.

Anyway, it's still a game and still an opportunity to explore different approaches. I never send harassing/threatening messages, because that goes beyond the bounds of the game. I'm just trying to see if a bigger carrot than the normal GB rewards will garner bigger neighborhood donations.

And it's kind of funny to see (in many different threads) the attitude of "That's not the way I think the game should be played, so <whatever behavior> should be banned!" Who says? A lot of the depth of FoE would be lost if everyone was forced into an identical track.

Just my 2 cents.

DeletedUser

nothing wrong with it in my opinion, your blanket statement to the entire neighborhood through your profile seems the best option to me.
I don't think there is anything wrong with offering to stop attacking in return for help on a GB. I just personally would ignore anyone who sent a message threatening an attack if I didn't give, it's not against the rules I just don't like being told what to do.

DeletedUser

I think it's more a case of how you come across rather than the actual action. There's an old saying: "Perception is reality." In this case the perception is that the other player is being extortive rather than mutually beneficial. The reality is that in either case the result is largely the same, only the flavor is different.

Flies, Honey, and Vinegar. (Atomic Fruit Flies!)

DeletedUser2382

agreed. There's suggestion and there's threating, two different things with basically similar results. That being said, I still don't have a "problem" with those choosing to threaten instead of cojole. They may be jerks, but this is the internet--get used to it! In a game where I murder and pillage my neighbors, whats really a little extortion thrown into the mix...all's fair in love and war after all.

but @rossrreb I wouldn't give that player squat. ever. I would probably make a special case for a player being that "special" himself/herself. I usually don't bother returning to a player's city to plunder goods or something of better value but in this case I would certianly make an exception, build up your attacking army and ravish them daily.

DeletedUser3550

HAHA, someone polished my bush yesterday I was so mad I deleted all my bushes. I dont know why it angered me because its almost funny.
This kind of behavior gives both pillaging and polishing a bad name. Stand up to it, Cearnaigh! Form a neighborhood resistance! Encourage your neighbors to rise up against this act of tyranny. Polish his tree on Sundays; that always stirs me into an angry lather. Put it right into your profile message that you're the leader of a secret resistance! Write this player messages towing the line of decency and decorum, and sign your messages, "prepare to grab ankle". Fight back Cearnaigh!

DeletedUser6378

I think the spirit of the game is violated when the demand is for forge points. If the owner of the forge points got them by trading diamonds which were purchased with actual money, then the demand is for something of actual cash value. In that case it is literally extortion, a misdemeanor crime.

ExtortionThe obtaining of property from another induced by wrongful use of actual or threatened force, violence, or fear, or under color of official right.

DeletedUser7214

Weak

I've just agreed to pay Ravengill on Cisgard one forge point per week because she? carried out her threat to begin last Monday by plundering me daily until I did. When I suggested to her that she could have enlisted my support by asking me nicely, she responded by telling me to watch it because the game has rules against harrasment. I should think the creators would see the obvious end to that kind of activity which is that people like Ravengill will ultimately end up playing with themselves.
Wow that is weak. Never give in. What kind of king would bend over for someone like that? You should just tell old Ravengill to suck one and attack them all the time win or lose. Lol Weak

DeletedUser

its part of the game. stop with the cyber bully crap. everytime someone isn't all lovey with their neighbors someone crys. i plunder everytime i attack its part of the game. there is a guy in my hood that tried the give me fp stuff i plunder him everyday.so man up grow a set and play the game.