• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Acquiring Great Buildings Fast

DeletedUser25049

Im semi new to this game, i like it a lot. About to be in EMA and still don't have a great building. Im being impatient most likely. But whats a fast way of getting them? Without using money obviously. Any techniques or routines are much appreciated. Thank you. Side note, I've been apart of many forum communities, and maybe i just need to read more, but i seems this community is very mature and fun to be around. So thank you for that as well.

Algona

First technique - Get lots of friends in the Era you want GBs. Join a large guild. Daily manually mopo friends, neighbors, guildmates, buildings the age of the GB you want.

Second Technique - Contribute FPs to friends, guildmates, neighbors GBs that you want BPs of. Depending on the GB when it levels and your place in the top 5 of contributors you will get BPs of that GB.

DeletedUser25049

Ok cool i didn't know about the great building donating technique, ill try that. thank you.

DeletedUser10415

Patient OCD technique:

1) Start over on another world
2) DON'T ADVANCE INTO IRON AGE UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO FURTHER DOWN THIS LIST
3) Don't negotiate for any sectors on the continent map unless a quest requires it
4) Motivate or polish all of your neighbors daily. You can use 'Aid' starting out, since all of your neighbors will be in the same age as you. The reason you want to do this is the chance of getting a random blueprint of the age of building you polivate. The more you do, the greater chance you'll get one.
5) Research only the techs you need to have only Blacksmiths in your city for supplies, and as many as you can fit an even number of, only Chalets for housing and only Taverns for happiness. Have no goods buildings (you'll get goods some other way, and plenty of them too). The idea here is to cram as many functioning Blacksmiths as you can into your city. You really don't even need your people to be happy for this phase, except you'll build more coin and supplies for the next age if they are happy. You won't need any barracks either. You don't need to concern yourself with the continent map beyond completing the tutorial, and city defense is an illusion at this stage in the game. As long as you're ready to collect when your production is ready to collect, you'll be fine. (Collecting on time actually applies to later ages as well)
6) Complete and/or skip tech quests until you get to the quests titled "Recurring", then abort your way through these until you get to the one that asks for 2 helmets, which is the product of two 1-day Blacksmith productions. Accept this quest. Ideally, you will have two such productions ready for collection.
7) Collect from two Blacksmiths that were set for 1-day production. These should be easy to find because all of your Blacksmiths should be set to 1-day productions.
8) Complete the quest for the helmets and collect your random reward, which could be coins, supplies, goods, a medium FP pack, 20 diamonds (once only), or a BLUEPRINT of your age. (Since you are in the Bronze Age, the blueprint can only be for one or the other of two Great Buildings - Zeus or The Tower of Babel. This is important, and this is the main reason why you're not advancing into Iron Age just yet (the other reasons will become apparent). When your random reward from a recurring quest is a blueprint, it is only a blueprint of your age or lower. When you are in Bronze Age, you have a 50% chance for a blueprint of either of the two Bronze Age Great Buildings. When you are Iron Age, that chance drops to a 25% chance for a blueprint from one of four Great Buildings, since there are two Great Buildings for every age.)

Both Zeus and Babel are worth having, and you will have plenty of goods to build both of them from the random rewards you are getting from repeating this recurring quest, which reminds me...

9) After collecting your reward for completing the quest for 2 helmets, abort your way through all the other recurring quests until you get back to that very same quest. Accept it, and collect from two more Blacksmiths. Complete the quest, collect the reward, abort the other recurring quests until you get to this one, accept it, collect from two more Blacksmiths, etc. until you have collected from all of your Blacksmiths.
10) Set all of your Blacksmiths again for 1-day productions. Alternatively, you may want to mix up completion times so clicking through the other recurring quests is less grindy. As long as you start production times in pairs it'll work out, whatever schedule you use.
11) Once you have complete sets of the Zeus and Babel blueprints, feel free to advance into Iron Age, though you might choose to stick around in Bronze Age a while longer and keep milking those quests for goods and FP packs, depending on your tolerance for tedium. There are these recurring quests at the end of every age's tech tree, but the Blacksmith is ideally suited for completing a great number of them as it has the smallest footprint of any of the supply buildings. Eventually though, you will want to move on.

I started 6 new cities last summer. Two of them I kept in Bronze Age until I had both GBs and hundreds of BA goods besides. The other four I advanced to Iron Age. It only took me 2-3 weeks of aiding neighbors daily and doing the blacksmith grind to get all my BPs for Zeus and Babel in my BA cities. It took me at least 2 months to have the same result in my Iron Age cities. You cannot contribute to other players' GBs while you're in Bronze Age, but at least for me, the evidence is clear as to which method produces quicker results.

A note about medium forge point packs: You'll end up with a lot of these doing the recurring quest grind. It's okay to spend a few on your shiny new GBs, particularly for getting them out of sticks, but my advice is to save them as much as possible, until you've been playing a while and can truly understand how useful mass quantities of stored FP can be.

Edit: After you've completed and collected on all your blacksmith quests, complete and collect on the coins quest. You may even be able to do this one a few times before the blacksmiths are ready to go again. As with the blacksmith quests, just abort through everything else until you hit the coins quest, complete and repeat.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser24459

You can use 'Aid' starting out
If your going fo BPs fast, I would not use the aid button as stone age decos do not give BPs, and there are some that say it resets a "counter" when you polish one. Not sure if I buy into that, but it is still pointless since there is no chance to get a PB from polishing a tree or obelisk. And those tend to be popular for people starting off to build since they are cheap. Using the aid button you have no control of what is being aided, and if there are a lot of people in your hood in BA chances are goo you will be aiding a lot for nothing.

Other than that, great walk through!

DeletedUser10415

If your going fo BPs fast, I would not use the aid button as stone age decos do not give BPs, and there are some that say it resets a "counter" when you polish one. Not sure if I buy into that, but it is still pointless since there is no chance to get a PB from polishing a tree or obelisk. And those tend to be popular for people starting off to build since they are cheap. Using the aid button you have no control of what is being aided, and if there are a lot of people in your hood in BA chances are goo you will be aiding a lot for nothing.

Other than that, great walk through!

It is usually the players who haven't progressed yet into Bronze Age who have obelisks and trees all over the place, and as such, they don't have any BA buildings anyway. While useful for later age GBs, manually polivating everyone in a SA/BA 'hood is an added unneeded chore in this BA phase of GB acquisition, especially in light of what a chore the Blacksmith Grind is. Though I haven't tested this specific scenario, I'd wager that in the end, the time saved by aiding would cancel out any advantage gained from entering every neighbor city every day to manually polivate.

Thanks for your input though, and your compliment.

DeletedUser8152

I think the blacksmith makes helmets (not boots)?

---

Also, I had the impression that the slinger/spearmen repeating quest could be more efficient, since it can be repeated every two hours for each pair of barracks you have.

Lets see... one pair of spear/sling barracks requires 15 squares and 60 population. That population needs 2 chalets (8 squares) and 1/5 of a tavern, so about 2 squares, for a total of 25 squares, not including roads.

Each blacksmith takes 12 people, so 1.5 squares of chalet and 0.05 squares of a tavern. So a pair of smiths is a total just over 11 squares.

So you can fit 2x or more blacksmith pairs than you can spear/sling pairs, but the spear/sling pairs produce 12 times faster. So if you really want to churn through the quests, I think the spear/sling route is better. But it is more work of course (both because you have to collect more often and because you have to keep deleting lots of units.)

DeletedUser10415

I think the blacksmith makes helmets (not boots)?

You are so right! Good catch. I have corrected the guide accordingly. I guess I was just making so many pairs of boots until recently that they were imprinted in my brain.

As for the troop quests, while it may take less days to go that route (and I don't know because I've never gone that route), it'll take more time out of every day to do them. They also cost coin and supplies to train - slingers particularly. Blacksmith production cost nothing once they're built.

DeletedUser8152

They also cost coin and supplies to train - slingers particularly. Blacksmith production cost nothing once they're built.
Good point. Coin is fine from the houses, but you'll need smiths to keep up the supplies. I guess you need 40 supplies per hour per barracks pair, so that 1.3 smiths, so another 9 squares or so. That's important but I guess they still come out ahead.

But yes, this would be an unbearable grind, I think :)

DeletedUser25754

I'm a first-time player. I found this article the first day or so after I started playing and decided to follow it. At first it worked great. I got lots of blueprints and forge point packs. But for the past few days, I haven't gotten any blueprints or forge point packs from the blacksmith quest, just goods. Goods are nice, but the real point of this is to get blueprints. I've gotten a couple of blueprints from pollivating, but I still need two for Zeus and three for the tower. I wonder whether I hit a limit. Are we only allowed a certain number of blueprints now? Or have I just been unlucky and I should just keep plugging ahead?

DeletedUser10415

How long have you been at it? In one of my model cities for the new guide, I got Zeus built in 5 days. That was luck. Almost 10 days in and I only lack 1 BP to construct Babel there.

I'm rewriting the guide to make it suitable for publication in the 'Guides' section of the forum, adding pictures and some things I didn't mention here.

One of those things is the practice of 'guild-hopping'. While there are a few guild leaders who don't like hoppers for some irrational reason, most don't mind it. What you do is get the recurring quest to collect 1800 coin. Polivate everyone in your guild, if ready, then, or if not, leave your guild and find and join another one, polivating everyone in that guild. Check the guild market for deals before hopping to the next one. You have to wait 7 days between leaving and rejoining the same guild, but there are usually enough guilds in a world that you could do this until you can't bear to do it anymore and still not run out of guilds to hop to. You'll want to end your hopping session in a guild of some size so your blacksmiths will get motivated. Motivated blacksmiths with an enthusiastic population have the added benefit of 4 of them covering the 'collect 1500 supplies' recurring quest, which you can do to lessen the helmet grind a bit.

There are two clear benefits to hopping. The obvious one is you can collect a ton of coin in this fashion, and also complete this particular recurring quest multiple times over a short period of time. The less obvious one is you can get a ton of blueprints from it too. Now they'll be from multiple ages, but if you make sure to join the smaller guilds too, you'll find plenty of bronze age stuff to polivate.

Czari

One of those things is the practice of 'guild-hopping'....

Thank you! That clears up the mystery of why people in the two guilds I'm in for my little diamond farms keep coming and going. I couldn't figure out what could be accomplished in 1-5 minutes; the average length of stay and why they m/p'd my city before leaving. Interesting strategy.

DeletedUser25754

After another day, I started to get good rewards again. Before too long I had 8 of the blueprints for Zeus and used diamonds to get the last one. I was getting bored, and this was my first city after all, so I wanted to explore the game more. So, I built the Temple of Zeus and moved into Iron Age. The Easter Bunny had given me some rewards, one of which was the Rogue hiding place. One of my guild mates told me to try it, so I did. WIth the combination of Zeus and the rogues, I cleared out all the iron age battles and ended up winning the tournement for last week. Sweet! I'm still in iron age because I'd like to get another GB or two before going on, but I am definitely having fun. I don't see anybody else in iron age with a GB. I have only one blueprint to go for the Tower of Babel and two for the Lighthouse. And I am working on level 4 of the Temple of Zeus.

So, I would definitely recommend this technique for new players. And I found the instructions clear. I was a little unsure when I was aborting quests, since I wondered whether I might be aborting something I shouldn't, but in the end everything worked out. In retrospect, I doubt if it was possible to abort something important and I probably could have aborted more.

DeletedUser6163

After another day, I started to get good rewards again. Before too long I had 8 of the blueprints for Zeus and used diamonds to get the last one. I was getting bored, and this was my first city after all, so I wanted to explore the game more. So, I built the Temple of Zeus and moved into Iron Age. The Easter Bunny had given me some rewards, one of which was the Rogue hiding place. One of my guild mates told me to try it, so I did. WIth the combination of Zeus and the rogues, I cleared out all the iron age battles and ended up winning the tournement for last week. Sweet! I'm still in iron age because I'd like to get another GB or two before going on, but I am definitely having fun. I don't see anybody else in iron age with a GB. I have only one blueprint to go for the Tower of Babel and two for the Lighthouse. And I am working on level 4 of the Temple of Zeus.

So, I would definitely recommend this technique for new players. And I found the instructions clear. I was a little unsure when I was aborting quests, since I wondered whether I might be aborting something I shouldn't, but in the end everything worked out. In retrospect, I doubt if it was possible to abort something important and I probably could have aborted more.

Awesome job! Keep up the good work and letting others know what's working for you and what isn't. I've found when I get a GB like Zeus early into the game, I get a lot of contributions from neighbors looking for blueprints. So enjoy that while you can in Iron/EMA -- neighborhood contributions become less and less as your city age progresses unfortunately and most players are using their FP for tech.

DeletedUser10415

Thanks for the positive review. I'm glad the method worked out for you. Some days before the Easter event ended, I decided to start a new city so I could make a proper guide with pictures, and also to document exactly how long it may take to get those first two GBs - Zeus and Babel. I had a some really good luck, getting Zeus in 5 days, and then an astonishing run of bad luck going after Babel. Still, I had both in 18 days total, so my 2-3 week estimate held true. Now I just have to put it all together...