Add all functions the previous message system had to the new one

Glarg

Proposal
Add all functionality to the current message system that the previous one had.

Current System (if applicable)
The current message system is nearly useless in comparison to the previous message system.

Conclusion
Instead of making a bunch of individual proposals for each function the new system is without, just go with one proposal to rule them all - This one.

bptexas

Strongly agree. The ability to leave a subject when sending a note to a single person is desperately needed back.

Sunset-Shimmer

There was nothing wrong with the original message system. I dont see why they had to update the thing and make it worse

agamemnus

There were problems with the old message system. First of all, you couldn't tell which messages were new. Second, the outbox and inbox tabs were not good -- it should have been one.

They should still do some more work here:
1) Fix the erroneous message icon blinking.
2) Allow us to designate certain messages as not activating message blinking. (5 fp swap threads, anyone?)
3) Don't disappear old messages in a message thread.
4) Get rid of "xyz left" announcements in the message thread -- let us click a button to see who's still in it.
5) As mentioned, we need titles for 1:1 messages. This would actually be a major rework unfortunately due to the way the probably redesigned the database for the new system.
6) We need more messages per page.
7) System needs to be faster overall. It's too slow.
8..) FFS, "xyz has left the conversation" shouldn't capitalize "conversation"!

Ruby Rainfall

There were problems with the old message system. First of all, you couldn't tell which messages were new. Second, the outbox and inbox tabs were not good -- it should have been one.

They should still do some more work here:
1) Fix the erroneous message icon blinking.
2) Allow us to designate certain messages as not activating message blinking. (5 fp swap threads, anyone?)
3) Don't disappear old messages in a message thread.
4) Get rid of "xyz left" announcements in the message thread -- let us click a button to see who's still in it.
5) As mentioned, we need titles for 1:1 messages. This would actually be a major rework unfortunately due to the way the probably redesigned the database for the new system.
6) We need more messages per page.
7) System needs to be faster overall. It's too slow.
8..) FFS, "xyz has left the conversation" shouldn't capitalize "conversation"!
I completely disagree about the outbox and inbox......and that is something I definitely want back.

As someone who runs a guild, messaging is vital.......and having all outgoing messages listed in the Inbox is a pain.
I can send out 20 messages in a morning.....and then all my inbox shows is those 20 messages........which knocks down all relevant Guild Threads.

Plus, the same happens if I or anyone else sends out Mail to try recruit new players.

In the old system, I could send out 100 a day, and they would just be in the Outbox.......leaving all my Guild Threads on the first couple of pages where they are easy to reach.

Now, I am loathe to send out recruitment messages because of the hassles of then trying to find my guild threads, which have been pushed down past page 20.

Pain in the Butt.

Katwijk

It's not exactly an elegant solution, BUT ....
  • You can use a message, with a single "." as text, to search for a one on one message that you WANT to extend.
  • You can use a message. with a single "." as text, but bump a guild thread back up to the top of the queue

1. We REALLY need a search function, for one on one messages in particular but, more generally,
    for text strings at least in the Group Name headers.
  2. The Guild Leaders need to be able to pin important threads near the top of the message queue.

Last edited:
I am for this proposal, and with what everyone else shoudl be changed/added, agreed there as well......but was there a proposal on teh forums (not just American) that wanted better messaging system?

Eric LC

No to this proposal as its a waste of time to send proposals for a messaging system which they already acknowledged they are still working on fixing.

djflashgordon

I had heard that a fix was coming either in the new update or it was in the last update.. Maybe support could elaborate on this further