Advanced Era Techs (tech post, v4)

Therin4

Proposal
The idea for advanced techs is that they appear the moment you research 1 tech in those eras. They have no tech tree, making them very conveniant.

Current System (if applicable) N/A

Details

Bronze Techs:
Ceremonial Burial (bronze era)
Unlock Cost - 1600c + 800 goods.
Focus Pts: 8
Results:
Ancient Altar - 1200C + 500 Goods. 3x3 space. Yields 300 happiness.
Shaman Hut - 800c + 1200 goods. 3x3 space and 35 people. Produces Shamans.
{Shaman Info} - Good vs light and ranged units. Weak vs mounted and heavy units. Immune to ranged attacks of this and the next age.

Exploration
Unlock Cost - 2200c + 1200 goods.
Focus Pts: 11
Results:
Journeyman Abode - 3500c + 600 goods. 2x2 Space and 35 people. 1 hour gives 150 goods.
Roving Brigands - 1800c + 1200 goods. 3x3 space and 45 people. Each version reduces exploration times by 5% (max 5% per age, top is 70%) and costs 3 times more as well.

Iron Techs:
Prefects
Unlock Cost - 2800c + 3000 goods + 24 lumber.
Focus Pts: 18
Results:
Guard Post - 600c + 800 goods. 2x2 35 pop building. Generates 50 morale, and up to 4 infantry units can transfer to this building. (no vechs and mounts)
Outpost - 8000c + 2800 goods. 3x3 135 pop building. Lets up to 3 allied units per player support you. All allied forces gain a 10% combat bonus. (limit 1 per player)
{info} These support builds dont increase the max number, but lets allies join in raids. The defender chooses who and where to deploy. it always takes the first 3 defenders those players have.

Metallurgy
Unlock Cost - 8000c + 2800 goods + 20 iron + 30 lumber.
Focus Pts: 22
Results:
Large Foundry - 12000c + 3000 goods. 4x4 building that takes 115 people. At 1 hour, produces 375 metals.
Iron Works - 15000c + 4000 goods. 5x5 225 pop building that Increases the yields from all metal based buildings by 30% each. Each version is 5 times more expensive.

Comradery
Unlock Cost - 8000c + 2800 goods + 15 iron + 20 jewels.
Results:
Gold production is 10% higher. (passive benefit)
Morale gains a 15% bonus. (passive benefit)
Houses take 5% longer to produce and build. (passive penalty)

Early Middle-Age Techs:
Local Legends
Unlock Cost - 5500c + 3800 goods + 15 wine + 20 gold.
Results:
Sacred Grotto - 2200c + 1800 goods. 3x3 space. Provides 1600 happiness, but each extra version costs twice as much.
Illidian - 850c + 3000 goods. 2x2 space. Provides 85 people, and generates 185c over 4 hours, and 600c each day as well.
Seamstress - 4800c + 1200 goods. 2x3 space and 65 people. At 1 hour, it produces 200 goods. It also unlocks the cloth bonus as well.

Taskforces
Unlock Cost - 6500c + 3000 goods + 15 metals + 32 ebony.
Focus Pts: 26
Results:
Workshops - 6800c + 3000 goods. 3x3 space and 200 people. generates 1 of the pertaining resource when a resource producer finishes it's load.
Labor Housing - 600c + 800 goods. 2x2 space and houses 100 people. Generates 150c every hour, but reduces happiness by 200.
Union Agency - 1200c + 3000 goods. 2x2 space and 35 people. For every ally you have, this generates {current age} goods and coins per hour.
Stables - 3600c + 2800g. 3x3 35 pop building. Generates 200c per hour, and up to 4 mounted units can transfer to this building. (no vechs and normal inf)

Fortifications
Unlock Cost - 5500c + 3000 goods + 65 metals + 65 ebony.
Focus Pts: 28
Results:
The defense values of all units in your empire increases by 20%. (passive power)
Heavy and siege units move 3 units slower, but have 10% more attack. (passive power)
War techs cost 10% less resources than usual. (passive power)

Crusaders
Unlock Cost - 8500c + 4800 goods + 15 wine + 20 gold.
Focus Pts: 26
Results:
Altar - 800c + 900 goods. 1x1 building that costs 15 people. Every time you motivate someone, you gain 5 goods from this. Provides 15 happiness.
Crusader Abode 1100c + 2000 goods. 2x2 building. Produces Crusaders.
{crusader} - High defense infantry, good vs mounted and heavy units. Double heal rate, and takes 1/2 damage from archers.
{note} - there's a reason it doesn't cost people. It doubles as a house. So, simply reduce happiness by 35. This unit cannot be transferred.
Holy Shrine - 1100c + 1200 goods. 2x2 statue that produces 300 morale.
Treasure Agency- 3400c + 5000g. 3x3 building - 200 pop. Every 15 battles you win, you may choose a new blueprint from the ones you currently have. Also produces 1200 happiness.
{note: Limit 1 TA)

High Middle-Age Techs:
pending.

Abuse Prevention

Visual Aids
This is well needed, but I'm not an artist....

Conclusion
The main basis of advanced techs is special age-specific techs that enhance playability. These unique techs are often worthwhile in some major way, but takes considerable resources in order to develop. In exchange, their benefits are simply incredible.

Last edited:

jaelis

In general, I feel like this concept adds complexity to the game without a really compelling benefit to offset it. We already have plenty of techs, we already have a bunch of (diamond) buildings that become available when you reach a new age, and we already have special, challenging buildings that offer special benefits (GBs).

Almost all of your specific examples are significantly complicated buildings that have the potential to confuse new players. Later on in the tech tree they already have buildings that have multiple functions and abilities. I think it is better to save those for later when people have a good grasp of how the system works. Bronze age and iron age are supposed to be simple.

Therin4

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Yes
  4. 35 people. Thanks, will add that.
  5. The basis is simple. You can transfer up to 4 units per prefect from other buildings, but ONLY infantry type units.
  6. Any building that relates to metals in any way, shape, and form. For example, the armor of soldiers could be considered iron based. Or, a siege tank is clearly made of that kind of metal anyhow.
  7. Happiness.
  8. Yes, I mean coins.
  9. Thanks.

jaelis

Therin, it seems like this is an idea that you are still pretty much working out the details on. I think that would work better in the Forge Hall forum, where you could just post new versions in response to comments, rather than continually editing the OP. Which is confusing for everyone else. Would you like me to move it for you? When you have a set of ideas that you are happy with, you can make a formal and complete proposal on it.

Therin4

Therin, it seems like this is an idea that you are still pretty much working out the details on. I think that would work better in the Forge Hall forum, where you could just post new versions in response to comments, rather than continually editing the OP. Which is confusing for everyone else. Would you like me to move it for you? When you have a set of ideas that you are happy with, you can make a formal and complete proposal on it.
While it's a work in process, and probably should be in the forge, there's already parts of this idea that can be commented on already. Consider it more towards proposals, but it cannot be voted on until all the tech levels are developed, ok?

Think of it as PARTS, or sub-ideas involving such. When each age is finished, that's a proper idea in itself, ok?

Last edited:

Marty McGinger

When you say "goods" as a cost, are you talking about goods that are produced in goods buildings (like lumber, wine, dye, etc) or supplies that are produced in production buildings?

Ruby Rainfall

As with your other thread about 'Advanced Techs'......we dont need any 'Advanced Techs'

The game is simple, easy to follow and is Mastered by ones own Strategic thought process.

You seem to be constantly trying to find ways to make the game easier for those starting anew......Handing too much to players on a plate will only 'Dumb down' the game.

There is a reason why all new players dont have everything the older era players have.............because they havent played long enough or put in enough to get the rewards.

Therin4

When you say "goods" as a cost, are you talking about goods that are produced in goods buildings (like lumber, wine, dye, etc) or supplies that are produced in production buildings?
Yes, the produced goods in the game. Not the resource like ebony and stone.

- - - Updated - - -

As with your other thread about 'Advanced Techs'......we dont need any 'Advanced Techs'
The game is simple, easy to follow and is Mastered by ones own Strategic thought process.
You seem to be constantly trying to find ways to make the game easier for those starting anew......Handing too much to players on a plate will only 'Dumb down' the game.
There is a reason why all new players dont have everything the older era players have.............because they havent played long enough or put in enough to get the rewards.
I... dislike games that don't live up to their full potential. There's too much 'duming down' as is. The age of the retro gamer is dead, and It's my intent to change that. What you call 'dumb' is really stupid in the first place, purposefully making a game routine and conventional.

ALL the units and features of a game, nowadays, is so routine that it's monotonous. No special units, no special buildings. Just the stupid 'conventionals' as I would call it. Even your so called special buildings are just polish as far as I'm concerned.

Look more closely at each age. No matter the layout, there's always some remote semblance in every age. It's all by far too conventional and monotonous. The closer you look, the better. And I seek to destroy that at least a little.

Last edited:

Ruby Rainfall

Yes, the produced goods in the game. Not the resource like ebony and stone.

- - - Updated - - -

I... dislike games that don't live up to their full potential. There's too much 'duming down' as is. The age of the retro gamer is dead, and It's my intent to change that. What you call 'dumb' is really stupid in the first place, purposefully making a game routine and conventional.

ALL the units and features of a game, nowadays, is so routine that it's monotonous. No special units, no special buildings. Just the stupid 'conventionals' as I would call it. Even your so called special buildings are just polish as far as I'm concerned.

Look more closely at each age. No matter the layout, there's always some remote semblance in every age. It's all by far too conventional and monotonous. The closer you look, the better. And I seek to destroy that at least a little.
Find a game you like then, for goodness sake.
Noone is forcing you to sit and play this "conventional and monotonous" game.

Therin4

I never do, and don't tell me to make my own either. They would never play for some reason.

It's by far better to modify an existing game than to make a similar version.

agamemnus

convenient*...

I like the Journeyman Abode idea. Unfortunately, anything that reduces the possibility of Inno getting diamonds will be nixed. (you can explore instantly for diamonds) When you say goods, do you mean supplies?

Last edited:

Therin4

convenient*...

I like the Journeyman Abode idea. Unfortunately, anything that reduces the possibility of Inno getting diamonds will be nixed. (you can explore instantly for diamonds) When you say goods, do you mean supplies?
The producible kind, right next to those shiny coins...

Also, the roving brigands, there's a max cap of 70%.