• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Advice for new/returning player

JPF55

Hello, it's been awhile since I last played FOE and I wanted to see if anyone had any advice from town layout, to researching ect. for a new/retutrning player who's account got reset.

Kranyar the Mysterious

As power creep has continued to run rampant, camping in Iron Age is probably one of the most profitable strategies today, coupled with building up a high level Chateau and Himeji Castle great building. Those two buildings alone can make your city a powerhouse, especially in earlier eras when the secondary bonus of coins and supplies respectively make much more of a difference.

Many guilds are liking having active lower era players now that Guild Battlegrounds has become part of the game. Fighting and negotiating are pretty easy in Iron age as well.

If you don't know if you are going to continue the game for a long period, staying in a lower era also makes sense (to me). Why rush the ages, with all the frustration that comes from that if you are only going to play for a few months before taking a break again. Of course if you don't play for an extended time you also won't build up your city to a high degree either.

Omethan

As power creep has continued to run rampant, camping in Iron Age is probably one of the most profitable strategies today, coupled with building up a high level Chateau and Himeji Castle great building. Those two buildings alone can make your city a powerhouse, especially in earlier eras when the secondary bonus of coins and supplies respectively make much more of a difference.

Many guilds are liking having active lower era players now that Guild Battlegrounds has become part of the game. Fighting and negotiating are pretty easy in Iron age as well.

If you don't know if you are going to continue the game for a long period, staying in a lower era also makes sense (to me). Why rush the ages, with all the frustration that comes from that if you are only going to play for a few months before taking a break again. Of course if you don't play for an extended time you also won't build up your city to a high degree either.
I'm new and someone else suggested the #1 mistake is rushing the Ages. However, at least go vertical until Iron Age where the lateral game really picks up with Guild Expeditions, conquering the Continent Map for enough goods you can trade for what you don't have, PvP Tournaments, and Reconstuction Mode. Rebuilding your city from scratch is awesome. Take a look at mine. I tried to screenshot and attach it but the file is too large. I almost don't want to advance and acquire because that means I have to spoil the symmetry.

There's a game that came with my Dell computer around 2005 which charged a tax per day. You could lose all your starter money for acting too slow and inefficient. It also gave no warning that diamonds aren't rewarded in the course of the game's challenges so are in effect actual money. There was even a stadium you build with a betting feature including diamonds, in other words real gambling, again no warning. You had to put a lumber mill next to a furniture manufacturer, then buy transport vehicles to get it to a home furnishings retailer. You created a bus route, put bus stations within range of the houses, repair shops with connecting ranges. All the re-arranging that takes and no Reconstruction Mode. All that investment, no trading and you oversupplied before you replaced a mill and store arrangement because the next assignment, which unlocked bigger buses and higher income and density housing, might include goods from a previous Age. You paid in coins and supplies to demolish everything including roads and got nothing back. Playing FoE I feel like Chuck Noland in Cast Away when he gets back to civilisation and there's broiled king crab on ice and a lighter.

Which world are you in?
I'm new and someone else suggested the #1 mistake is rushing the Ages. However, at least go vertical until Iron Age where the lateral game really picks up with Guild Expeditions, conquering the Continent Map for enough goods you can trade for what you don't have, PvP Tournaments, and Reconstuction Mode. Rebuilding your city from scratch is awesome. Take a look at mine. I tried to screenshot and attach it but the file is too large. I almost don't want to advance and acquire because that means I have to spoil the symmetry.

There's a game that came with my Dell computer around 2005 which charged a tax per day. You could lose all your starter money for acting too slow and inefficient. It also gave no warning that diamonds aren't rewarded in the course of the game's challenges so are in effect actual money. There was even a stadium you build with a betting feature including diamonds, in other words real gambling, again no warning. You had to put a lumber mill next to a furniture manufacturer, then buy transport vehicles to get it to a home furnishings retailer. You created a bus route, put bus stations within range of the houses, repair shops with connecting ranges. All the re-arranging that takes and no Reconstruction Mode. All that investment, no trading and you oversupplied before you replaced a mill and store arrangement because the next assignment, which unlocked bigger buses and higher income and density housing, might include goods from a previous Age. You paid in coins and supplies to demolish everything including roads and got nothing back. Playing FoE I feel like Chuck Noland in Cast Away when he gets back to civilisation and there's broiled king crab on ice and a lighter.

Just wanted to second the idea of not advancing through the ages quickly. I'm in the same boat you are. I played six years ago, played a LOT actually. Came back recently and love all the new features to the game. Its given me a lot more to do instead of advancing, epseically buildling my GB collection up to Virtual Future, but in Iron Age. Haha, LOVE IT.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Leave space for 2 lane roads as you build your city !!
You shouldn't be advancing the ages fast enough for that to be an issue, and you can always re-arrange your city later if you decide you want them in those eras. Personally, I haven't used them and likely never will. No sense wasting space before it is needed.