• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] AI not attacking rogues first

Is it normal for the AI not to attack rogues first when they're in range? I used 2 knights + 6 rogues vs 6 cannons and 2 imperial guards. They never targeted a rogue; I walked them up the battlefield and defeated most of their units with one hit.

Here's some context, in case that's unusual: I moved up to the LMA about 4 days ago, this happened in several GE encounters, and I had 97% attack and 77% defense bonuses.

Are you sure that it was GE and not the continental map? And secondly are you sure the rogues were in range? Rogues aren't necessarily targeted 1st in GE all the time but the vast majority of the time they will be hit first. Generally if they aren't it would be because you've misjudged the enemy range.
I'm certain my rogues were in range...they walked right up to cannons. I suppose I could he wrong about it being in GE (I fought a lot of battles yesterday), but I'm pretty confident it happened twice in level 3.

wolfhoundtoo

How could your rogues of walked right up to the cannons if the enemy was only targeting your 2 real units? Your attack and defense aren't enough for your 2 real units to have survived long enough for the rogues to of 'walked right up to them'.

qaccy

Rogues don't really get ignored anywhere except for on the continent map. There are some edge cases where a unit that has the stealth ability will prioritize staying hidden over moving out of cover to attack a Rogue, but this is about the only exception. In any other case if a unit has the ability to attack a Rogue on its turn, it'll do so. Again, unless it's the continent map, where other units tend to be prioritized.

wolfhoundtoo

I have seen rogues get ignored in GE (pretty sure it has been a long time since I was manually battling GE) but that was when there weren't enough rogues to go around and the first units hit either the real units or the transformed units (which did not have stealth) but before the enemy units finished moving they'd hit the rogue as well (say when it was the last 2).

Agent327

I have seen rogues get ignored in GE (pretty sure it has been a long time since I was manually battling GE) but that was when there weren't enough rogues to go around and the first units hit either the real units or the transformed units (which did not have stealth) but before the enemy units finished moving they'd hit the rogue as well (say when it was the last 2).

Rogues do not get ignored in GE. When in range, they get attacked first.

wolfhoundtoo

I disagree. There's always outliers to any situation and while it's been a while so my memory might be inaccurate, I actually noted it down as it was strange enough that I thought it might be a bug. So while my memory might be wrong the notes I keep (made at the time) note that I'd seen it happen twice but it after that I couldn't recreate it so I stopped caring about it.

P.S. You might want to revisit your answer to the OP where he asked if rogues were supposed to be ignored and you said "yes that's normal". :p

How could your rogues of walked right up to the cannons if the enemy was only targeting your 2 real units? Your attack and defense aren't enough for your 2 real units to have survived long enough for the rogues to of 'walked right up to them'.
The units were for illustrative purposes; the point is they let my rogues walk right up and shank 'em to death. It's happening consistently in the CM today regardless of the other unit types or number of rogues (I've used 2-6). They don't always ignore rogues, but they usually do. Which units get prioritized?

Thanks for the answers. The AI had never ignored rogues in about 950 previous battles (I've never auto-battled), so it was a total surprise. It's a terrible strategy for the AI - I can use a few expendable heavy units and wipe out their army with one-poke kills. I must have been mistaken about this happening in GE.

wolfhoundtoo

Well in general on the CM the enemy would chew up your 2 real units and you'd have issues with having them live long enough depending on what units you were facing. Your boost is pretty good though if you are in the early part of the CM and aren't facing a lot of units with distance attacks. I remember winning some rogues in events back in the day and worked through some parts of the map with my iron age units and rogues.

Misty Moonshine

I was noticing the same thing since the last update. My Rogues used to be the first ones hit. I used to fight with one unit and 7 Rogues, but the AI now all attack the one unit and leave the Rogues alone unless I move my fighter out of harm's way and advance the Rogues. There's definitely been a change in the last few days.

Agent327

I was noticing the same thing since the last update. My Rogues used to be the first ones hit. I used to fight with one unit and 7 Rogues, but the AI now all attack the one unit and leave the Rogues alone unless I move my fighter out of harm's way and advance the Rogues. There's definitely been a change in the last few days.

There has been no change in the AI at all.

wolfhoundtoo

Give specific of the units you are using and the units you are facing. Also are you fighting on the Continental map, GE or GBG? There are explanations that doesn't require something to have changed in the AI in the last few days.

Give specific of the units you are using and the units you are facing. Also are you fighting on the Continental map, GE or GBG? There are explanations that doesn't require something to have changed in the AI in the last few days.
Well, what are some of those situations? Are they ever ignored in GBG? I fight 20+ battles a day, so it's hard to be certain of which battles they were ignored. It should be easier to predict than to recall.

Most of us who fight in GBG, GE and CM every day probably won't be able to answer your question with certainty without recording the data.

Emberguard

I'm certain my rogues were in range...they walked right up to cannons. I suppose I could he wrong about it being in GE (I fought a lot of battles yesterday), but I'm pretty confident it happened twice in level 3.
Maybe they were too close and the cannons didn’t want retaliation damage? (I have no idea if the AI would do that as I usually autobattle, just spitballing here)

Then record the data. Claims saying I have noticed, I feel, I think do not mean a thing without the data.
That's true if you care about a high degree of certainty. I'm satisfied with conjecture in this case because there's no risk if he's wrong. Plus it's super easy to test his claims: just find yourself in a situation you'd be in anyway; either it goes the way he says, or it doesn't.