1. Changelog 1.161

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.161 will take place on Wed, Sept 18, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GvG Improvements Update

Hello Queens and Kings,
    First up, we wanted to thank you once again for taking the time to continue to contribute your feedback on the upcoming changes to Forge of Empires, especially in relation to Guild Battlegrounds.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

An observation.

Discussion in 'Closed / Archived' started by diamonddave, Aug 14, 2013.

1. diamonddave

diamonddave Active Member

Doesn't really fit with bugs or proposals, but related. As titled, this is just an observation.

Let's look at the effectiveness of buildings requiring the 2 lane road, the simplest example is a Power Plant vs. City Park.

Power Plant, 5x5, 2620 happiness, requires 2 lane road
    City Park, 5x6, 2850 happiness, requires any road

At first glance, Power plant seems more effective, but because it requires a two lane road, the Park would fit into the exact same place the Power plant occupies if there was simply a normal road there, plus the regular road would provide happiness where the 2-lane does not.

Effectively making in the exact same space:

Power Plant, 5x6, 2620 happiness
    Park, 5x6, 3025 happiness with the happiness producing, much cheaper, and easier to manage singular Progressive road.

My point?
    2 lane roads should probably be adding to culture, they kinda screw stuff up and I think in the interest of balance, there should be incentive to build them rather than penalties. They are needed for 24 hour homes, goods, and some military, but I believe there should be incentive to have supply and culture buildings attached, which I would argue, are actually being penalized to the discerning player.

2. MaryBethCandySue

MaryBethCandySue Active Member

I like them because they look so nice and modern. :)

3. diamonddave

diamonddave Active Member

fair enough, but aesthetic does not equate to effectual.

4. fobby1980

fobby1980 Guest

I actually think different. Tarmac roads are needed for all five goods bds, tanks, armored cars, high-rise, and electricity plants. One does not need to build any PA good bds if they have enough goods GB, so that's one less use for tarmac roads. likewise, if we consider military bds, tanks and armored cars are the two most powerful units, but players don't have to build them. They can live by perfectly with ordnance/conscription/snipers. If they want more power, they will have to sacrifice something, in this case space/happiness. As for high-rise, they provide such a massive boost in population over Vic houses (for every 3 Vic houses and total 1422 pop there are 2 high-rises and total 2174 pop, a difference of 752) so it figures that players would have to give something back, again in this case space/happiness. So my point is it's all about compromise. If you want to maximize your city's income or military strength, then be prepared to account for the lost space/happiness

5. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Well-Known Member

I kind of agree with your general point that 2-lane roads should give happiness, but I would argue that if you say the power plant needs a two lane road attached, and therefore takes up 5 more spaces, then you should include the costs, and benefits, of the fact that a city park needs a 1-lane road. This probably takes up 5 spaces, but as it is 1 lane could be shared with a building on the other side, effectively causing the extra space cost to be 2.5 for the city park. However, since the 2.5 spaces of 1-lane road provide (in progressive era) 35 more happiness each, this means we are now talking about the city park providing 2850 + (2.5*35) = 2937.5 and taking up 5*6 + 2.5 = 32.5 spaces. Effectively this gives us about 90.4 happiness per space. The power plant is giving us 2620 happiness in 5*6 = 30 spaces or 87.3 happiness per space. So the city park is still more cost effective then a power plant, but not as much more cost effective.

Another thing to take into account, though, is that the power plant comes relatively early in the PE tech tree, whereas the city park is at the very end. Most things that come later in the tech tree, even in the same age, are somewhat more efficient. On the whole the comparison between these two does strike me as fairly well-balanced.