• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Anniversary Contest Feedback

DeletedUser38454

If Contest Creators do not strictly want to adhere to Circle the differences or attach the edited image, then every Contest 1 participant is equally entitled to win Contest 1 rewards despite of their incorrect or correct entries.

Who cares, mate? The prices were pretty underwhelming to begin with. Why not simply enjoy the fact there was a celebration, you got to solve some puzzles, and had a chance at winning something.

You didn't. I didn't, either. Shrug it off, and better luck next time.

By the way, there wasn't really much effort involved. Day 1 could easily be done using online tools. Day 3 took all of 2 minutes of work. Day 4 was easy if you know how a Wiki works, and checked the last few changes made. I don't even recall exactly what day 5 or 6 were. One was a math issue that didn't take long to crack either, though. As for day 7, that's highly subjective.

Again, very little effort required in any of the challenges. The prices and your chances of winning one reflect the amount of effort involved. If it would have taken countless hours of deciphering algorithms, visiting countless sites for research, or fulfilling quests that ended up taking hours and hours to finish, I'd be right n the barricades with you. But I think I spent less than an hour in total on all these challenges, and while an hour of my professional time would be rather expensive, this was entertainment.

i2McAbre

Sure, but the original paths were all the same color. The version you're looking at has been highlighted after the fact to show the winning path.

Pathpuzzle.png

So? What's your point? Its still obvious how the paths go if you look at them.

Like I commented on the picture I used from the solution page. I traced the route and "they" highlighted it with a lighter color.

Looking at your spoiler image? Its just as clear there as it was the first time. I mean it "was" supposed to be a little bit of a challenge.

centaurgod

This was the most confusing event in any game I ever played. Not only that it was not possible for me to ever get past the first screen with the numbers on it. Always said it was not ready yet.

Salsuero

What's your point?

My point was that it wasn't originally the way you said it was. The original contest was very easy for me. I'm just saying... when you said "it IS the only light path, which by itself is what made it stand out to me" as if that's how it originally was... making it sound like people who found it challenging were blind or something... I felt like pointing out that it wasn't THAT easy originally.

DeletedUser38454

This was the most confusing event in any game I ever played. Not only that it was not possible for me to ever get past the first screen with the numbers on it. Always said it was not ready yet.

Did you try to refresh the page? That did the trick for me. Click, and if it didn't work, refresh then try again. At times that would then bring the "Right date, but you're too early" message. So I waited a few hours, and then tried again.

Dido 815 the Scourge

I really enjoyed the contest for the 7th anniversary. I was not able to figure out one of the contests but competed in all of the others. Hope it is just as exciting for the 8th anniversary.

By the way, I also hope there is something special done to commemorate the burning of Notre Dame Cathedral next year. Would be interesting for anyone with one in their city to have it light up for 24 hours or something interesting. The burning will be forever in our history as the original building being built.

Put ritual flames and watchfires around the perimeter of your ND GB and then go to settings and turn on animations.

DeletedUser38173

Originally, maybe so. However, since on Friday (day 3 of contest) there was an edit to the original post of this thread explicitly stating the one and only place to post answers, and since day 2 didn't require an answer, day 1 is the only day where people had an excuse for posting in the wrong place.

That’s kinda like saying “we noted it in the errors and omissions section of our newspaper at the bottom of page 43” but still neglected to solve the root problem on the contest page. Can you see how that’s not good enough?

DeletedUser

That’s kinda like saying “we noted it in the errors and omissions section of our newspaper at the bottom of page 43” but still neglected to solve the root problem on the contest page. Can you see how that’s not good enough?
On the contrary, I can clearly see that the problem almost disappeared completely after the post was edited. I didn't bury it "at the bottom of page 43", I put it in the very first post that people see when they come to this thread. The one post they all read before posting themselves. And it worked.

DeletedUser38173

My point is that it wasn’t changed on the contest page so people wouldn’t have to come to the forum to figure it out. Which they shouldn’t have to.

By the way, I also hope there is something special done to commemorate the burning of Notre Dame Cathedral next year. Would be interesting for anyone with one in their city to have it light up for 24 hours or something interesting. The burning will be forever in our history as the original building being built.
I'd suggest lowering the happiness it gives.

DeletedUser30312

Okay, this was my solution for Day 6. Possibly I may have done something wrong somewhere because it's been 25 years since I did this stuff on a daily basis, but whatever, I got it right anyway.

3x = y
x+z+3 = y
z-2 = x
3z = a
a+y = b
b = ?

To start off, I looked for the value of x, since it will define he value of y and z, and thus a and b. If z-2 = x, then x+2 = z. So therefore:

x+(x+2) + 3 = y
2x+5 = y
2x+5 = 3x

I could tell from that that x = 5, which then solved the other numbers.

y = 3*5= 15
z = 5+2= 7
a = 7*3 = 21
b = 15+21 = 36.

DeletedUser27860

aww there I was feeling all smart and proud of myself for getting day 6 but it looks like it didn't stump many. Ah well, back to mental mediocrity for me.
Don't feel bad, I would say it was a tricky one if they had a shorter time limit :D