• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Antiques Dealer feedback

Emberguard

P.S: Get rid of the fragments all together an allow us to sell directly from the city grid as well as GBs we no longer need, like the Oracle
There is 0 cost to setting up and deleting a Oracle. I farm FPs from my neighbours Oracles. You’d be giving me the easiest easy button ever. Might as well eliminate all cost to buying items in the AD if GBs gave anything for it

DeletedUser39145

Okay, I'm sure it's probably been mentioned, but I figured I'd give my opinion just in case inno reads these things. The auctions at the Antiques Dealer are horrible. I don't care that most of the items they auction are worthless, at least some people still bid on them. What I do care about is the process itself.

The designers need to look into how auctions work. Ebay is an example of how online auctions work well.

The process is this. The player is not part of an auction until the player visits the Antiques Dealer, at which point in time the user is added to an auction that has begun recently (as in the last five minutes). The user can bid at this time and for any amount. Then the auction proceeds along until it gets to the last 30 seconds, which can proceed indefinitely for as long as people continue to increase their bids. After the bidding ends, there are 30 minutes until the next auction can start, during which the winning player can claim the prize. (I assume if not claimed during this time it either disappears or is held for the player until he/she returns to the Dealer. I have never not claimed an item when I won it.)

The way this plays out is that there is no point in the player bidding until the last 30 seconds of the auction, or making some outlandishly large bid early on that no one is willing to outbid (and how does one determine this amount?). This necessitates that the player return to the game right before the auction finalizes in order to bid or make sure that they have not been outbid. This is a cumbersome process.

A better way would be to have an ebay style setup where a player could enter their highest bid and not have to return at a certain time to "battle it out" in the extended "last 30 seconds" of the bidding. A player should also not have to "collect" his winnings by visiting the dealer. They should just show up in his inventory.

Another method would be to have a much shorter bidding time that resembles a live auction. Maybe 5-15 minutes per item. There are a variety of ways this could be implemented.

RazorbackPirate

Okay, I'm sure it's probably been mentioned, but I figured I'd give my opinion just in case inno reads these things. The auctions at the Antiques Dealer are horrible. I don't care that most of the items they auction are worthless, at least some people still bid on them. What I do care about is the process itself.

The designers need to look into how auctions work. Ebay is an example of how online auctions work well.

The process is this. The player is not part of an auction until the player visits the Antiques Dealer, at which point in time the user is added to an auction that has begun recently (as in the last five minutes). The user can bid at this time and for any amount. Then the auction proceeds along until it gets to the last 30 seconds, which can proceed indefinitely for as long as people continue to increase their bids. After the bidding ends, there are 30 minutes until the next auction can start, during which the winning player can claim the prize. (I assume if not claimed during this time it either disappears or is held for the player until he/she returns to the Dealer. I have never not claimed an item when I won it.)

The way this plays out is that there is no point in the player bidding until the last 30 seconds of the auction, or making some outlandishly large bid early on that no one is willing to outbid (and how does one determine this amount?). This necessitates that the player return to the game right before the auction finalizes in order to bid or make sure that they have not been outbid. This is a cumbersome process.

A better way would be to have an ebay style setup where a player could enter their highest bid and not have to return at a certain time to "battle it out" in the extended "last 30 seconds" of the bidding. A player should also not have to "collect" his winnings by visiting the dealer. They should just show up in his inventory.

Another method would be to have a much shorter bidding time that resembles a live auction. Maybe 5-15 minutes per item. There are a variety of ways this could be implemented.
Not sure what your issue is. It's a 2-hour long live auction. Bid early, bid late, bid high, don't bid, who cares?

"Going once ... Going twice ... We have a new bid. Going once ... Going twice ... Is there a higher bid? ... 10 seconds left ... We have a new bid! Going once ... Going twice ... Is there a higher bid? ... 20 seconds left ... No higher bids? ... 10 more seconds folks ... 3 seconds ... 2 seconds ... 1 ... Sold! Sold to the highest bidder.

Wow. That was exciting! Let's take a short 30 minute break, then we'll put our next item up for bid and start the next auction. But remember, you have to come back to see the next item and participate."

The rest is all strategy. Some bid high early hoping to discourage the competition, some will nickel and dime their bids in the last 30 seconds, some will bid with no desire to win the item, just wanting to inflate the prices for those who do want the item. Some will bid an outrageous amount effectively ending the auction before it even really begins. Just like real live auctions in the real live world.

How do you win a real live auction in the real live world? By actually being there for the end of the auction, or by bidding a price you know no one else will want to pay, or can afford to pay. Want that Picasso that last sold at auction for 8 million? Either stick around and duke it out at the end for the 'best' market price, or just bid 16 million and walk away knowing no one else can or would pay that much.

The auction house will hold your purchase until you can return to collect it, but it doesn't offer free delivery. Why would they? Forcing you to return means forcing you to be exposed to the new auction in hopes that it's an item you want and you'll stick around, or come back to win it before the auction ends.

If you ask me, that Antiques Dealer is one savvy business man. He's structured his business to ensure maximum profit for himself and to make sure you keep coming back for more auctions and more trades. Don't like the auction model? Just skip them and buy directly from his shop. However, depending on the item, you'll likely need Gemstones, a currency he holds the monopoly on. One savvy business man indeed. Wish I owned that business.

Just another example of art imitating life.

DeletedUser31397

Ugh don't even remind me about gemstones right now. I have gotten the bare minimum almost every day the last week even when there was a range of at least 6.

DeletedUser14197

I don't see any reason to continue bothering to sell items to the antique dealer. I have plenty of coins and gems to buy any thing that comes up. You can only buy one of each item and the is rarely anything I want for any price. It isnt like I have room for more without deleting or storing and store its are limited and a lot of items are worth less than the store it's. Perhaps a nice feature just in case you have room and can use something but looks to me like something I will use rarely. Maybe be better to go back to using items for quests as how many coins or gems will I ever be able to use. I can see why players bid so high. Really, why not.

DeletedUser41255

Thank you for playing Forge of Empires! If you wish to leave any feedback about this version, please leave the feedback here or visit us on Facebook!.
I'm giving feedback here because I cannot do so on the link you've provided. I like the concept of the antique dealer but I'm finding it to be a bit unfair. There are players in my auction from ages VERY far in the future and they have a clear advantage on how much junque they've sold to the dealer. Players from lower ages are always outbid. And then there are the items for sale and up for auction. NONE of the items are above my age. Inno allows people from future ages to bid on lower age items but restricts lower ages from buying later age items. If you want to be fair - offer all age items to all players and also choose the random bidders from a pool based on age or rank. Thank you.

DeletedUser37581

Players from lower ages are always outbid.
Hmmm... In my EMA city, I have won several items at auction. I don't win them all, but I've won over half of those items that I bid on.

NONE of the items are above my age. Inno allows people from future ages to bid on lower age items but restricts lower ages from buying later age items.
The items that people bid on are always of the same age as the person bidding. So while the item up for auction may be a Mill of Fall, I see it as EMA while another person in the same auction who is from AF will see the Mill of Fall as being AF. The AF person doesn't get to bid on an EMA Mill of Fall. Note that we are both bidding on the same item, its just that the age of the item varies based on the age of the bidder.

DeletedUser31397

Another 6-13 range...another bare minimum 6...jeez

If I may add, this is happening every other day for almost 2 weeks now :rolleyes:

Super Catanian

Kinda sucks how the BPs offered in the AD are random (not that I have bought any). It would be kind of cool to buy some sort of Selection Kit for BPs. To prevent abuse, it would only work for BPs of your age or lower, and no BPs of Ageless GBs. This could help to get that stubborn BP that's missing.

Players won't have to spend 200 Diamonds for missing BPs, reducing the need of Diamonds. That falls under the DNSL.

Would still be cool, though...

DeletedUser31397

What is the barter term you're using?

1 Day

Another thing I'm curious about is how the coding works when you sell multiple buildings with gemstones. For example:

Item #1: 2-4
Item #2: 2-4
Item #3: 2-5 all at 1 Day
Range: 6-13

Assuming each outcome is equally likely:
Scenario #1: Odds of getting 6 = (1/3)*(1/3)*(1/4) = 1/36
Scenario #2: Odds of getting 6 = (1/8)

Does the RNG take all prizes into account or does it just pick a random number in that range?

RazorbackPirate

1 Day

Another thing I'm curious about is how the coding works when you sell multiple buildings with gemstones. For example:

Item #1: 2-4
Item #2: 2-4
Item #3: 2-5 all at 1 Day
Range: 6-13

Assuming each outcome is equally likely:
Scenario #1: Odds of getting 6 = (1/3)*(1/3)*(1/4) = 1/36
Scenario #2: Odds of getting 6 = (1/8)

Does the RNG take all prizes into account or does it just pick a random number in that range?
These are great questions. Having not yet broken down any buildings that give gemstones, I've always thought the range was dependent of the breakdown time selected. I had no idea the range is controlled by an RNG. Interesting.

Hopefully, someone with more experience breaking down items with Gemstones can provide additional insight into this.