• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Any advice on gaining guild members?

Aholasurf

I don't know that it is that difficult, I don't think new players get how it can benefit them...I didn't 'get it' for a few weeks and for it to be a requirement would be a turn off.

We try to explain to new players that the weekly guild expedition along with a Temple of Relics is a great way to establish an empire.
Obviously when players first start it is impossible to do this so some time is given to let them build defenses.
Thank you and I agree the expedition does benefit new players.

Gypsy Grace

Another thought or two -
A ToR only swap might be a good idea so that prints are always flowing and buildings are always growing
A ToR 'brag' thread...let those newbies see what peeps are getting and how it helps

Aholasurf

Another thought or two -
A ToR only swap might be a good idea so that prints are always flowing and buildings are always growing
A ToR 'brag' thread...let those newbies see what peeps are getting and how it helps

Thank you. That is also a great idea. We do have members that comment on expedition, incident and other random prizes. Having a thread for this is a great idea.
Getting new players prints for great buildings is a lot of fun in the game. It is a rewarding experience. Having a system in place to get the prints is a great idea. Thank you for your advice. I wish we had someone as helpful as you in our guild.

Last edited:

Ebeondi Asi

One Guild I was in would help new members get a Observatory. and the Guild would 100% level it up to 6 free for the owner. For new players that is very attractive. and helps the Guild all around.it covers the new players Goods cost for GE plus a bit extra. Makes the new player feel good.Natually the rest of the Guild would need to be enthusiastic about doing this or it will be a big fail. Maybe getting everyone on the same page about how vital the Observatory is for GbG play etc..
Most high level Guilds require a Obs or to get one and level it up.
After Arc came along older players tended to ignore Obs, but since GbG has become such a huge Goods vacuum the Obs is back to being an important part of any growing Guild.

Last edited:

Aholasurf

Thank you. You make a great point with the need for an Observatory since GBG has been more popular. Obs is also easier to get for new players.
This is something that will work well in our guild. We have many helpful members and great Guild participation.
Thank you for the advice. Observatory is a great building for players and the guild.

Aholasurf

One Guild I was in would help new members get a Observatory. and the Guild would 100% level it up to 6 free for the owner. For new players that is very attractive. and helps the Guild all around.it covers the new players Goods cost for GE plus a bit extra. Makes the new player feel good.Natually the rest of the Guild would need to be enthusiastic about doing this or it will be a big fail. Maybe getting everyone on the same page about how vital the Observatory is for GbG play etc..
Most high level Guilds require a Obs or to get one and level it up.
After Arc came along older players tended to ignore Obs, but since GbG has become such a huge Goods vacuum the Obs is back to being an important part of any growing Guild.
Let us know when you are headed to Walstrand. We will welcome you and help get your new empire started.

Aholasurf

I would like to thank everyone on the excellent advice on gaining new guild members.
We already have 1 new member and have a few interested.
Your ideas have also helped us become an even better guild. We have implemented many of your ideas and have had great success and feedback from our members.
Thank you all and if you have any friendly advice or opinions please feel free to help us evolve into an even better guild.

Agaselle

Hello Guild fans,I hope you can swollow this.//My impression of youre extraordinary magnitude is that first you have to tell youre members
what the buttons for which magnitude gonna evolve,I mean sometimes it he;ps at pande,ic times like these ,going to the cleaners with youre Guild and start with lots of rights for the players in forge of empires so that they learn how to walk free thru adventures instead of dominating them first and then expecting from them to push the band wagon...................gg gaselle...................//

Last edited:

Aholasurf

Thank you for your input gaselle. You raise a valid point on evolving magnitude buttons. Sometimes it is about the rights of the players to walk free thru adventures and not be dominating or pushing the bandwagon.
Thank you for your advice. Your input is valuable.

Aholasurf

Hello Guild fans,I hope you can swollow this.//My impression of youre extraordinary magnitude is that first you have to tell youre members
what the buttons for which magnitude gonna evolve,I mean sometimes it he;ps at pande,ic times like these ,going to the cleaners with youre Guild and start with lots of rights for the players in forge of empires so that they learn how to walk free thru adventures instead of dominating them first and then expecting from them to push the band wagon...................gg gaselle...................//
Join us anytime. We are looking forward to having you as a member.

..Boudica..

Word-of-mouth is definitely your best friend when building a Guild. If you build it (well) they will come! Happy members will make a strong guild bc they'll stay w you and eventually tell other folks about the great guild they're in and a huge portion of the recruiting will eventually do itself.

It's super important to have the right mix of people bc infighting, disagreements or an imbalanced group can wreck a guild; too-far advanced or bad dispositioned members who might not cotton to working with newer players won't make for happy members. If players feel slighted or impeded, they won't be happy. This kind of imbalance could affect swap or 1.9 threads, for instance. Conversely, the right group would foster an atmosphere where advanced players could help the newer folks and do some of your job with you.

Def have a couple of active members appointed as recruiters but have a consistent method everybody employs. Focus on your preferred demographic; for instance, w the last guild I built [Iceni Easy] I focused on noobs. New players are always looking for a guild and bc they don't have a lot of experience nor do they have a lot of biased views on how things should work. I had a couple of boilerplate recruiting messages I used and would surf the leaderboards and neighborhoods for folks w no guild affiliation. I also made the guild Invitation Only to discourage guild-jumpers. After a while, folks came to us.

Make your guild as appealing as possible, a place that fosters growth and opportunity and offers members everything they'll need to succeed. Idk if this fits w your FoE philosophy but I made Iceni a NO RULES guild and am very proud to say I never had to solicit treasury donations bc they did it on their own. Every Tuesday morning I unlocked all 4 levels of GE but never put pressure on anybody to do it.

I filled the forum w threads and tried to give them everything I could; trades, swaps of every denomination, Arc-only's, GbG, Events, Stix2Brix, a Hit List- I even started a newsletter [Iceni Official] that I regularly added everything FoE to; links, tips, tricks, guides, etc. I provided everything I wished I'd had back when I started playing- and then some. I encouraged folks to participate in guild administration and never held it against anybody when they felt overwhelmed and needed a break.

I hooked them up w a goods trader whenever they needed GB goods. I had an open-door policy and daily fielded a ton of messages and answered every one of them before I did my own stuff. I built every GB worth building so they'd have access to prints, then took them down when everyone was set. In short order I had almost 60 folks and only ever bumped 2, in the early days, for noncompliance ;[)

When I left last November to actually play again, lol, I arranged a weekend long Q&A-paloozza w a few of my Big Dog friends and tried to leave them in the best possible position. Membership is down a bit but for the most part the OGs are still there, we were really blessed w the mix of folks and the sense of community I worked to imbue still runs strong.

I had the opportunity to visit recently, recruited a few new members while I was there and started a 1.9 thread & companion forum w instructions and tool links. I still talk w several of them daily and hear from the rest pretty regularly; I pick up trades, contrib to GBs, answer questions, etc. Interestingly, although I appointed one of my captains Founder when I left, they've since opted to form a board of trustees and run the guild as a group. I'm incredibly proud of all of them.

I hope I've given you a few ideas that'll help you out, but feel free to ask me anything :[)

☆~B

..Boudica..

More info on the HIT LIST please...
Sure, hon! Here goes:
That Terrible Sinking Feeling When You Logon & See A Bobbing Burgler Head...
Sounds funny to some, sure --and it was done purely in a sense of fun [ok mostly] but the fact remains: even as we accept that being attacked and/or plundered as due course in the Forge, it's still incredibly frustrating at very the least, right. Especially when it's happening on a regular basis at the hands of somebody you simply can't beat. To me it used to be akin to feeling like somebody had come into my home while I was away and touched all my stuff before taking the heirloom tableware.

Rather than point folks to Support and have them ticket attacks, which accomplished nothing except to probably irritate an overwhelmed volunteer, I gave them a Hit List; an open thread to setup a soapbox and name their tormenter publicly. It served several purposes:
  • Catharsis:
    • Instead of being gripped w panic, anger or any other negative emotion, the space to vent, be consoled and advised often helped lessen what might very well have resulted in a general loss of enjoyment or worse, the compulsion to stomp off in a snit and quit.
    • Oftentimes it helped difuse the situation a great deal just to realize that other folks were also being attacked and it wasn't personal in any way. Well, sometimes it was but at least you weren't alone in the experience, right.
    • Complaining a little bit in-thread was usually the best medicine and folks frequently felt better immediately.
  • Warning to Guildies:
    • Commiserating w others who may have also been temporarily subjugated by the same predator is one thing, but if you know ahead of time that SoAndSo attacks their whole neighborhood daily gives fair warning; if you noticed them in your 'hood on change-up there was time to beef up your defense, level your CoA or TA a couple times asap to plump up your numbers, ensure your city's synced tight or even grab an attack boost and strike first, in hopes you might scare 'em enough to pass over you at fight time.
  • Revenge Is A Dish Best Served:
    • It's all in fun, sure, but a few kinds of attacker really do warrant some comeuppance. If they're rude or worse, a rude extortionitist, for example; I had one joker tell me that if I didn't polivate [my word, not his] something in his town he'd hit me every day and plunder any chance he got. Ha! Although I've often suggested polivating an attacker as one way to ward them off get them to back off, I personally refuse to capitulate.
    • This really helped cement guild loyalty to each other and strengthen the One For All mentality that truly made the guild feel like La Cosa Nostra, like a family.
    • Reporting back that SoAndSo had been spotted and thwarted was done gleefully and was received in kind, as you can probably imagine :[)

~B

Last edited: