• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Any advice on gaining guild members?

Agent327

What part of our guild does not seem realistic to you?

If I am looking for a Guild and I come across a Guild with 13 members and "Traders' in the name, claiming they are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude I would think they are totally bonkers.

Also, are you able to answer questions or give advice? Although I appreciate your opinion and constructive criticism I am here on behalf of our guild asking for advice on finding new members.

Start selling what you have, not what you don't have. You are not well established. You are not high ranked. Your bonusses are good, not great. If you were all that you did not have to look for members. Your requirement to complete at least level 2 of the weekly guild expedition an donate 30 goods or more from your age or higher is totally unrealistic for the size of your Guild. If you want to grow you should not have any requirements. Those can come later. Your 100 fp signing bonus does not make sense either. It only attracts players that sign, cash in and move on.

Pericles the Lion

What part of our guild does not seem realistic to you?

Also, are you able to answer questions or give advice? Although I appreciate your opinion and constructive criticism I am here on behalf of our guild asking for advice on finding new members.
I'll try to help. With 13 members you probably do not have the critical mass to be a force in GBG and your treasury might be challenged. You likely will not be able to attract mid- to late-game players that want to fight. What you can attract are early- to mid-game players that haven't yet dialed in their focus (farming versus fighting) and then groom them so that they fit in with your Guild's strategy. In this case, I'd concentrate on pitching (1) all levels of GE opened weekly, (2) very active fair trade thread, (3) active 1.9 thread, (4) help with GB goods, and (5) no (or very minimal) performance requirements. Just my .02

Aholasurf

I understand you are not impressed by our small guild and I am positive yours is much bigger.
I don't not feel offend after hearing that most people coming to the Forge of Empires forum for info are treated the same way by you.

Your reputation proceeds you. Thank you for your opinions and constructive criticism.

Last edited:

Aholasurf

I'll try to help. With 13 members you probably do not have the critical mass to be a force in GBG and your treasury might be challenged. You likely will not be able to attract mid- to late-game players that want to fight. What you can attract are early- to mid-game players that haven't yet dialed in their focus (farming versus fighting) and then groom them so that they fit in with your Guild's strategy. In this case, I'd concentrate on pitching (1) all levels of GE opened weekly, (2) very active fair trade thread, (3) active 1.9 thread, (4) help with GB goods, and (5) no (or very minimal) performance requirements. Just my .02
Thank you for the advice. Since we have been around sincentives 2016 we have a very large treasury and for our size we do pretty well at GBG we have a few high ranked players who enjoy winning. We do have a active mentoring program for new members. Getting them arc goose and so forth. We also do very well in Weekly guild expedition and open level 4 every week..
We have very low requirements. Only 30 goods from your age or higher unless you have a arc. And finish at least level 2 of the weekly guild expedition. We let beginning players ever in to these requirements.
We do have very active trade threads as well as pay it forward from 5 to 100.. we have a 5 and now a 1.9

We also have a 100 forge points signing bonus. After a week of guild involvement and completing at least level 2 of the weekly guild expedition new members receive 100 forge points. Also any guild member who recruit a new member will also receive 100 forge points.
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate your imput.

Last edited:

Darkest.Knight

Good luck, most players seem to prefer the really big groups and join those. I was solo for a very long time, spent most my time in gold league. Now have a 5- member guild, instead of occasionally platinum league now it's mostly platinum and occasionally diamond. Can still do pretty well w/o a lot of members We have a lot of people join, but they leave almost immediately. My guess is when our lvl is a bit higher we'll have newcomers choose to stay, we'll c since w/5 members we move up lvls and guild standing much more quickly. I'll post again l8r if I notice any shift in guild members joining after my guild lvl is somewhat higher, still under 50 which is kind of low. I'm satisfied though since I've played for less than 4 yrs and top dogs r over 6 yrs in if I remember the timeline correctly. I'm being lazy and will ask, how long ago did they start the game?

Agent327

Again. Arel you capable of giving advice or help?

The question that needs to be asked is if you are capable of understanding advice.

You keep bringing up the same things. Nothing you bring to the table stands out from any other random Guild. Those are no reasons at all to join your Guild instead of a bigger one. Players will always join the bigger Guild. What you could do is look around you at your opponents in GBG for instance and try to merge with Guilds in a similar position. That would be a start.

Aholasurf

Good luck, most players seem to prefer the really big groups and join those. I was solo for a very long time, spent most my time in gold league. Now have a 5- member guild, instead of occasionally platinum league now it's mostly platinum and occasionally diamond. Can still do pretty well w/o a lot of members We have a lot of people join, but they leave almost immediately. My guess is when our lvl is a bit higher we'll have newcomers choose to stay, we'll c since w/5 members we move up lvls and guild standing much more quickly. I'll post again l8r if I notice any shift in guild members joining after my guild lvl is somewhat higher, still under 50 which is kind of low. I'm satisfied though since I've played for less than 4 yrs and top dogs r over 6 yrs in if I remember the timeline correctly. I'm being lazy and will ask, how long ago did they start the game?

We also do very well in GBG with our size We are regularly in platinum league. With a few high ranked players a small guild can do well. We also have most members finish level 4 of the weekly guild expedition. Google luck with your guild and hope you can gain new members. I have been playing for over 4 years but we have guild members who have been since the beginning.
Thank you for the advice. All positive assistance iso appreciated.

Last edited:

Aholasurf

The question that needs to be asked is if you are capable of understanding advice.

You keep bringing up the same things. Nothing you bring to the table stands out from any other random Guild. Those are no reasons at all to join your Guild instead of a bigger one. Players will always join the bigger Guild. What you could do is look around you at your opponents in GBG for instance and try to merge with Guilds in a similar position. That would be a start.

Thank you for your opinions and constructive criticism.

Agent327

Thank you for your opinions and constructive criticism.

I am not critisizing you or your Guild. I am trying to make you look at your Guild in a realistic way. To you it is a great Guild and I can understand that, but an outsider will look at the numbers and will see something different. You are promoting it as "building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude". You are the biggest fighter in your Guild, but with only a little over 26000 fights. Second player has around 18000 fights. That does not show a fighting Guild. Considering that your Guild exists since 2016 those are very poor fighting numbers. 26000 fights in more than 4 years is 6.500 in a year. That is a number active fighters can do with ease in a week.

This is my last post on the subject. You are asking for help, but you only want to hear what you want to hear, so I give up.

Pericles the Lion

I am assuming that you are responding as a player. Hence, my comments are directed to you in that capacity and NOT your role as FM. That said, your above comment is simply rude.

You keep bringing up the same things. Nothing you bring to the table stands out from any other random Guild. Those are no reasons at all to join your Guild instead of a bigger one. Players will always join the bigger Guild.

A simple glance at the guild listing on any world proves that this is not true. There are a lot of small guilds. From tiny acorns mighty oaks grow.

What you could do is look around you at your opponents in GBG for instance and try to merge with Guilds in a similar position. That would be a start.

This advice can be restated as "when the going gets tough, acquiesce". My advice is gut it out, fine tune the message and get it out to players.

Aholasurf

I am not critisizing you or your Guild. I am trying to make you look at your Guild in a realistic way. To you it is a great Guild and I can understand that, but an outsider will look at the numbers and will see something different. You are promoting it as "building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude". You are the biggest fighter in your Guild, but with only a little over 26000 fights. Second player has around 18000 fights. That does not show a fighting Guild. Considering that your Guild exists since 2016 those are very poor fighting numbers. 26000 fights in more than 4 years is 6.500 in a year. That is a number active fighters can do with ease in a week.

This is my last post on the subject. You are asking for help, but you only want to hear what you want to hear, so I give up.

Thank you for your opinion and constructive criticism.

Agent327

A simple glance at the guild listing on any world proves that this is not true. There are a lot of small guilds. From tiny acorns mighty oaks grow.

Look again. Most do not come from tiny acorns. They are branches, fallen of the oak. Also founders and leaders are experienced and abnove all active players.

This advice can be restated as "when the going gets tough, acquiesce". My advice is gut it out, fine tune the message and get it out to players.

And then gut it out again. His message does not need fine tuning. It needs a complete overhaul.

Gypsy Grace

^^^ DO THIS ^^^

I've been playing two months, currently well established in EMA. My guild is small (12 players). I had only been playing a month when I joined this guild. No way I would join if I was required to donate x goods each week AND play 2 levels of GE. Those requirements say we are strict and serious. But then you toss out 100 FP for anyone that joins and anyone that brings in a friend. To me that says we're a party group with FPs to throw away. I also find it sends a mixed message to have Traders in your name and then talk of building a 'fighting force of great magnitude'.

If you want players that will play GE each week, have a forge point lottery for those completing level 3 (complete level 3 for 4 weeks in a row and get x amount fp).

If you want players that donate goods, have an Arc be a requirement for a certain age and up and have a fp lottery for those that donate x amount of (whatever you need) each week.

Several of my guildmates placed 10 fp when I reached 100K points in ranking...that was a nice surprise! Maybe you could do something like that at each 100K mark to encourage player growth.
*************************************************************************************
I think this would be very attractive:

Gulf Coast Traders was established in 2016 with current leadership guiding us since 2020. We have a rich tradition of forging our spirits by helping each other.
We do this by offering:
- numerous swap threads to start and grow your Great Buildings
- cross guild 1.9 thread to keep those buildings growing
- all levels of Guild Expedition are open each week to build your troops and add valuable items to your city
- trade threads to help you with goods
- we celebrate your growth in player rankings at each 100K milestone
- monthly forge point lottery for those donating to the guild treasury

As a relatively small guild we do well with rankings and bonuses, but we want to do better so we offer:
- weekly forge point lotteries for those active in Guild Expedition
- forge point lotteries for those consistent in Guild Expedition

We only ask that you aid your guildmates at least 5 days a week and players in __________ era or higher have an Arc.

Jern2017

Do not count on well established, seasoned and powerful players to join your guild. You have nothing to offer them. Instead, I'd focus on attracting on newer players, who are serious and want to grow.

Pericles the Lion

Look again. Most do not come from tiny acorns. They are branches, fallen of the oak.
It came from a 14th century proverb and was a metaphor. What, you're claiming expertise in botany now? Oaks are propagated from acorns or properly inoculated green cuttings. Branches falling from trees will grow mushrooms but not new oaks.

And then gut it out again. His message does not need fine tuning. It needs a complete overhaul.
Agreed. I think that is precisely the advice that he/she has been searching for. They feel that they have a good product, so the challenge is finding the best way to market it.

Agent327

It came from a 14th century proverb and was a metaphor. What, you're claiming expertise in botany now? Oaks are propagated from acorns or properly inoculated green cuttings. Branches falling from trees will grow mushrooms but not new oaks.

Rather obvious you do not get it. What on earth was I expecting.

Agreed. I think that is precisely the advice that he/she has been searching for. They feel that they have a good product, so the challenge is finding the best way to market it.

They may feel they have a good product. Problem is they don't and the market knows that. He is trying to sell a lemon by presenting it as an orange. Once he accepts he has a lemon he might have a small chance, but as long as he thinks he is holding an orange the market is not likely to be interested.

Aholasurf

As compared with a 1.9 a 1.85 would be "more popular" with players with level 80+ Arcs and your guild has several. They are taking a profit every time that they contribute at 1.85 and this profit is at the expense of their lower level guildmates. Very new players probably would not notice the absence of a 1.9 (or 1.92) but more seasoned player certainly will. IMO, it sends a subtle
Rather obvious you do not get it. What on earth was I expecting.

They may feel they have a good product. Problem is they don't and the market knows that. He is trying to sell a lemon by presenting it as an orange. Once he accepts he has a lemon he might have a small chance, but as long as he thinks he is holding an orange the market is not likely to be interested.

Thank you for your opinion and constructive criticism.

Aholasurf

^^^ DO THIS ^^^

I've been playing two months, currently well established in EMA. My guild is small (12 players). I had only been playing a month when I joined this guild. No way I would join if I was required to donate x goods each week AND play 2 levels of GE. Those requirements say we are strict and serious. But then you toss out 100 FP for anyone that joins and anyone that brings in a friend. To me that says we're a party group with FPs to throw away. I also find it sends a mixed message to have Traders in your name and then talk of building a 'fighting force of great magnitude'.

If you want players that will play GE each week, have a forge point lottery for those completing level 3 (complete level 3 for 4 weeks in a row and get x amount fp).

If you want players that donate goods, have an Arc be a requirement for a certain age and up and have a fp lottery for those that donate x amount of (whatever you need) each week.

Several of my guildmates placed 10 fp when I reached 100K points in ranking...that was a nice surprise! Maybe you could do something like that at each 100K mark to encourage player growth.
*************************************************************************************
I think this would be very attractive:

Gulf Coast Traders was established in 2016 with current leadership guiding us since 2020. We have a rich tradition of forging our spirits by helping each other.
We do this by offering:
- numerous swap threads to start and grow your Great Buildings
- cross guild 1.9 thread to keep those buildings growing
- all levels of Guild Expedition are open each week to build your troops and add valuable items to your city
- trade threads to help you with goods
- we celebrate your growth in player rankings at each 100K milestone
- monthly forge point lottery for those donating to the guild treasury

As a relatively small guild we do well with rankings and bonuses, but we want to do better so we offer:
- weekly forge point lotteries for those active in Guild Expedition
- forge point lotteries for those consistent in Guild Expedition

We only ask that you aid your guildmates at least 5 days a week and players in __________ era or higher have an Arc.

Thank you. This is great positive advice. The 100 forge points signing bonus is given after a new member is with the guild at least a week and finish at least level 2 of the weekly guild expedition. Then the guild member who recruited gets 100 as well.
I agree 30 forge points is a lot. I only got this because everyone in our guild has an arc. We have an arc thread and trade goods for Arc for new members. If members have an arc then they do not need to donate.
Do you really think finishingl level 2 is that difficult? New players are given time to get established. Maybe level 1?
We do have contribution rewards when players level up or do well in GBG or Weekly guild expedition but I especially like your rewards idea for novice players. This is a great incentive.
Thank you very much for your advice. Some great ideas.

Last edited:

Aholasurf

Do not count on well established, seasoned and powerful players to join your guild. You have nothing to offer them. Instead, I'd focus on attracting on newer players, who are serious and want to grow.

We cater to the advanced player as well as a novice. It is a mix. Over the years we have had established high ranked players join simply because they are tired of large complicated guilds with too much drama.
All players are welcome. We are not necessarily looking for just advanced or novice players but have a very helpful bunch and enjoy helping new players in the game.
We try to make a safe fun guild for players of all levels to prosper. No rude or aggressive players.
We have a ZERO tolerance policy for all foul behavior. If players can't be positive and friendly then they are ejected immediately. Many people are just looking for a fun safe place to play the game. This has been the biggest draw for advanced players to join us.

Thank you for your advice. We certainly will welcome all new players and help them prosper.

Last edited:

Gypsy Grace

Do you really think finishingl level 2 is that difficult? New players are given time to get established. Maybe level 1?
I don't know that it is that difficult, I don't think new players get how it can benefit them...I didn't 'get it' for a few weeks and for it to be a requirement would be a turn off.