• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Any knife enthusiasts here?

Jern2017

I'm a knife collector. I own folders, fixed blades and kitchen knives made by Cold Steel, Spyderco, Benchmade, Böker, Extrema Ratio, Great Eastern Cutlery (just got a Dogleg Jack and I absolutely love it), Fox...

Any fellow collectors out there?

Attachments

• received_1619988521399531.jpeg
    received_1619988521399531.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 7

DeletedUser31440

Benchmade Mini-Griptillian Tanto Serrated is my everyday carry around:
Benchmade.PNG

Edit: Mines a few years old though so not as nice looking as the one from their website anymore.

Jern2017

Nice! I have a limited edition Mini Griptilian in M4 steel with a custom made low carry titanium pocket clip. I think only about 250 were made.

Attachments

• _20181211_032950.JPG
    _20181211_032950.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 4

DeletedUser31440

I think the most exotic is an old Japanese folding knife that granddad used and got when he was stationed there after the war. It was probably something mass produced and common though.

IMG_20181210_214448.jpg

Jern2017

That's a Higonokami. I handled one and I remember it being ridiculously sharp. Love the blade shape.

One of my most prized possessions is a Korean War era KA-BAR USMC knife. It was used to take down a Korean scout when its owner's company was trying to capture their bunkers.

Looks like your Benchmade has seen some use. If I recall correctly, Benchmade will send you a replacement pocket clip free of charge.

DeletedUser31440

They'll sharpen it and clean up the action too, I just don't want to not have it for the time that they need it.

Edit: It is ridiculously sharp, and thanks for the name.

Jern2017

That's incentive to buy another knife, haha.

I sharpen my knives on a Spyderco Sharpmaker (works great on serrated blades as well) and have some ceramic stones for larger knives.

As for cleaning folders and making the action snappier, Tuf-glide with a needle applicator works very well. I used Balistol before that, but now I use Tuf-glide on all my knives and even firearms and like it much better. For the really messy folders, i usually take them apart and clean and lube every component separately. I also used an ultrasonic cleaner a couple of times, gunk came out of parts I didn't even realize existed. Best $50 I've ever spent.

DeletedUser31440

Not sure where you buy your stuff from, but it may be worth checking out zoro.com, if you sign up they send out 25% off coupons fairly regulary and carry some decent knife brands: 5.11 Tactical, Benchmade, Blackhawk, Buck, and SOG. They also carry cheapo knives as well for just utility work that you don't need to worry about chipping or breaking the blades, aka Gerbers.

Jern2017

Not sure where you buy your stuff from, but it may be worth checking out zoro.com, if you sign up they send out 25% off coupons fairly regulary and carry some decent knife brands: 5.11 Tactical, Benchmade, Blackhawk, Buck, and SOG. They also carry cheapo knives as well for just utility work that you don't need to worry about chipping or breaking the blades, aka Gerbers.

My two favorite USA stores are Cutleryshoppe and Knifeworks. Great prices and customer service.

But lately, I've been buying knives for wholesale prices from a friend who owns a company .

lemonwedgie

I am genuinely curious. Why? I have never understood knife collecting (and I am a collector) what is the draw?

Jern2017

Well, I've been carrying a pocket knife for years. I also hunt and I'm a bushcraft enthusiast, I love spending my free time in the outdoors. Because of that, I appreciate a quality knife and I like comparing different steels, designs etc. when I use them.

I also enjoy shooting guns and collecting wristwatches. The latter is definitely my most expensive hobby, but apart from enjoying it, i also look at it as an investment. I only collect high end mechanical watches and those are timeless. I could give them to my kids and them to their kids, or sell some if I ever, God forbid, find myself in a tight spot.

cton2.forge

Not a collector but I love 'em. KBARs, Benchmades etc. I used to have a benchmade that was slightly illegal but it has since been lost. Now I'm on a Gerber that has some weight to it for a 3 inch blade that I've had for 10 years now that I love.

search

lemonwedgie

Well, I've been carrying a pocket knife for years. I also hunt and I'm a bushcraft enthusiast, I love spending my free time in the outdoors. Because of that, I appreciate a quality knife and I like comparing different steels, designs etc. when I use them.

I also enjoy shooting guns and collecting wristwatches. The latter is definitely my most expensive hobby, but apart from enjoying it, i also look at it as an investment. I only collect high end mechanical watches and those are timeless. I could give them to my kids and them to their kids, or sell some if I ever, God forbid, find myself in a tight spot.

Now that I totally get because you are a user of them. I knew someone who had a love for them, but never really used a knife, and wasn't an outdoor person ... I found it a little creepy lol

Watches, mechanical ones .... are beautiful, thats a nice thing to collect

- KQ -

They'll sharpen it and clean up the action too, I just don't want to not have it for the time that they need it.

Edit: It is ridiculously sharp, and thanks for the name.

Benchmade's turnaround time is really quick. I'm fortunate to live a short drive from them and dropped a knife off one day and had it back in the mail two days later.

- KQ -

I am genuinely curious. Why? I have never understood knife collecting (and I am a collector) what is the draw?

A sharp knife is a joy to use. I don't have a lot of them, maybe seven or eight. Some of them have sentimental value, a Boker pocket knife from my grandfather, my dad's scout knives, a Benchmade knife my son carried through Explosives Ordnance Disposal School and a few others. I keep them all razor sharp. My everyday carry is a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek assisted open. I like the blade shape. I took of the belt clip since I carry it in my pocket.

I have a bunch of kitchen knives that I prize as well. Some have a story and some don't, but I use the ones that I have daily. The one I prize most is one that I'm waiting to receive. My son gifted me with a ten inch chef's knife being made by one of his former EOD team members. I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.

There are a lot of beautiful knives to be had. Knifemaking is quite the thing these days. Some of them are really works of art.

Last edited:

Jern2017

I've had wonderful experience with Spyderco and Emerson's costumer service. I've heard nothing but positive feedback on Benchmade as well.

I am a sucker for German kitchen knives. I have a few F. Dicks and a 30+ year old set of Alemania Solingen kitchen knives. They are like new. I do clean them up regularly and they're always razor sharp. I've just cut some tomatoes with one of them and it felt like I was using a laser. So I completely agree with you, it is a joy using sharp knives.

The Leek is a nice pocket knife. I broke mine (used it to pry open a drawer, so it was completely my fault), but will definitely get another one.

I really want a REKAT. I've handled a few and loved them, but they're hard to find these days as the company doesn't exist anymore.

Right now, I'm looking for a GEC with a wharncliffe blade. Here's my GEC Dogleg Jack, nice little slipjoint.

Attachments

• _20190115_231916.JPG
    _20190115_231916.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 6