• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Arc Shenanigans

203iceman

Can someone explain why you loose your arc boost when your arc is disconnected?

Due to the game changing ability of the arc, it has become a huge target. The term sniper I use often. The only way to combat outsiders from taking advantage of your arc is to disconnect it. That is now leading to my above listed question.

Thanks in advance for any help
Iceman

DeletedUser31440

Outside of population, no GB boost is active when disconnected, at least that I can think of. Initially Arc did work when disconnected, however it was not intentional and has been changed. Choose which fp's are more important to you, the boosted rewards or Arc locking positions. Also do not open levels until you are ready.

DeletedUser29726

You lose most GB bonuses when they're disconnected. Population or buffs attached to the collection of the building are the only exceptions (and the buffs you won't get new copies of once you use up your last collection's limit until you reconnect it long enough to collect it again).

You can limit outside access by not unlocking levels in advance and having your 1st and 2nd place ready to go at the time you unlock it.

DeletedUser3882

*WHYYYYYYYYYY* are you complaining about free Forge points again?!?

Doesn’t everyone have to do *some* self additions to make the 1.9s or whatever you’re doing work or fill in 4 and 5 spots every level with random junk/swaps?

You’re worried about anyone coming and grabbing top spot, just tell ‘em I said Come On! You just keep giving me all the points!
And for anyone who ever complains about getting jumped, weeeelllll.... you shoulda flip floppin’ put on more! Not. My. Problem.

If you’re not prepared to lock in first, be prepared to be jumped!

DeletedUser

This was changed over a year ago and we have had two threads started about it in two days. Rather strange. Not to mention the fact that it's rather foolish to disconnect a GB to prevent people from donating to it.

Algona

Dammit, twice in one day? Did the forums disable PMing or do you have it turned off Stephen?

...we have had two threads started about it in two days. Rather strange...

Especially last night's delightful romp presented by 2cent. Had a wonderful time watching that train wreck...

i wanted to PM you my little joke about giving a whole new meaning to 'putting in your two cen\s worth'.

Get it? GET IT? HAHAHA! Or not.

But NOOOOO, i have to crawl out from under my bridge to make a funny

Whatever. At least my 50 WW Diamond farm had a triple hit today.

Oh, and on topic: I like Arc. And completely agree with this:

Not to mention the fact that it's rather foolish to disconnect a GB to prevent people from donating to it.

Emberguard

The only reason you would have to prevent others from donating is if you specifically have the spots "reserved" for somebody else.

If you only want guild mates to take the spots (and they're not in a swap group) then it's selfish to decide no one else should be able to contribute. This mentality people tend to develop of "someone outside the guild has put in for the lowest possible contribution spot.... Quick, everyone rush to push them off the position!" is quite frankly destructive. It limits the spread of wealth to within a guild. The game flourishes so much more when wealth is shared between players then just trickled down. This is pretty evident within a guild that builds up its members. I'd much rather contact the outside player and ask if they wish to do a proper swap in exchange for more going into my GB so the spot is secure then only thinking of myself and asking other guild members to push them away out of spite.

If you've got a arc swap group and people are worried about snipers taking the top spots because they each want the contribution rewards then split it into two smaller groups of 3-4 and let the snipers come. Then advertise inbetween the two groups if no snipers came and positions are still free. You'd get far more benefit from it. The FPs you get from the contribution rewards will be far less then what the snipers will put in to secure 1st/2nd. They're actually doing you a favour

DeletedUser31470

If you only want guild mates to take the spots (and they're not in a swap group) then it's selfish to decide no one else should be able to contribute. This mentality people tend to develop of "someone outside the guild has put in for the lowest possible contribution spot.... Quick, everyone rush to push them off the position!" is quite frankly destructive. It limits the spread of wealth to within a guild. The game flourishes so much more when wealth is shared between players then just trickled down. This is pretty evident within a guild that builds up its members. I'd much rather contact the outside player and ask if they wish to do a proper swap in exchange for more going into my GB so the spot is secure then only thinking of myself and asking other guild members to push them away out of spite.

Honestly, I'm a bit guilty of that. I usually fill my top 3 spots with my guildmates with 1.9 (I'm Arc 80 owner) right after my collection time. Then I leave the GB open with 4th and 5th during rest of the day and see if someone wants to get one of those. If a guildie donates at least 1.9 there, I just let them have it if nobody gives more until the collection time, same if I make an arrangement with some from my friends list.

However, if a friend just hops with 1.9 without a proper arrangement, I just get someone from our 1.9 thread to push him out. If he donates a bit more (let's say over 40 to 20 FP spot) I leave it to them. Same with neighbors, but I'm willing to push them out even way more.

TL;DR I don't mind giving my 4th or 5th outside of my guild, but they need to pay more than guildies if they want it.

Back to topic though, I have simple advice for you. Get blueprints in advance, stop donating your FPs and just focus on self-leveling your Arc. That way, disconnect it all you want, there is nothing to lose. Easy.

DeletedUser

I was in a guild that had a different method of keeping Arc spots in house. They had it arranged beforehand on each level who would get each of the five reward spots, and only unlock the next level when they were all ready to go with their donation amount.

DeletedUser8428

I'm a sniper, I don't care what the GB is. If I have the FP to lock in a spot on someone's GB and it's a GB I'm looking for, I'll do that. Fortunately, I understand this is a game .. and if I don't lock down the spot, then it's no big deal if someone knocks me down a peg .. that's my own fault. But if I'm on the hunt and the top spot isn't locked down , I will absolutely take it without guilt or asking permission.

DeletedUser33179

I bet you personally don't mind as an "outsider" (as you've termed it) repeatedly using your hyper-leveled Arc to "take advantage of" (again, as you've termed it) other players' GBs - all of them, not just the precious Arc - whenever you want.

The GB donation system is intentionally designed as an open auction. If you don't lock the spot, then it isn't yours. As mentioned by others above, there are some ways to try to Increase the likelihood of select donators get the spots you/they want.

To disconnect the Arc to avoid the GB open auction turns it into merely a pre-determined, fixed charity giving exercise in leveling a GB. There's no challenge or skill or even potential luck/peril involved with leveling GBs that way. Why would the game designers want to encourage/reinforce a key component of their game (GB leveling) becoming a safe sure-fire, can't-miss, you-have-total-control-of-all-its-outcomes by allowing you to also keep all the GB's features active if you chose to disconnect it from the TH?

This is quite the dynamic game. For every single choice made, something's gained while something else is simultaneously altered/lost. Choices. That's why you lose your Arc bonuses if disconnected.

DeletedUser30312

Can someone explain why you loose your arc boost when your arc is disconnected?

Due to the game changing ability of the arc, it has become a huge target. The term sniper I use often. The only way to combat outsiders from taking advantage of your arc is to disconnect it. That is now leading to my above listed question.

Probably because it needs a road connection to work, and now the connection isn't there.

Is this a sniping problem on Jaims? If so, I don't even need to ask where this is coming from.

Mustapha00

My guess- and it is only a guess- is that this is working as Inno intends it to work, else they would have implemented some change to stop it.

I see a suggestion along the lines of adding a "toggle" so that a player can choose to cut off donations to a particular GB by players who are not Guildies, who are not Friends, or who are not a member of either group made pretty often. I would be shocked if this hasn't been made a formal proposal and voted on by the Forum residents. Yet there has been no change implemented by Inno. If they were not okay with people donating to GBs that you might prefer not be able to, it would not be permitted (or at least some limits placed on the practice).

DeletedUser31440

From what I've seen Inno is very hesitant to get rid of stuff that involves player interactions, donating to GB's is definitely a player to player interaction.

DeletedUser13838

My guess- and it is only a guess- is that this is working as Inno intends it to work, else they would have implemented some change to stop it.
It's already there if a bit inconvenient and it's already mentioned here. Only unlock levels when your guildies are ready to dump their fps to lock their spots. As the GB owner you are in complete control of when a new GB level is unlocked.

RazorbackPirate

Interesting that the OP has not come back on their own thread. I guess that's par for the course. Many just see the proposal folder as little more than an electronic version of the suggestion box. Drop it in the box, it does what it does. Whatever.

Almost every variation I've seen on this, to me, is based in greed and selfishness. "I could have gotten more if so and so hadn't sniped my GB." Greed. "I want to make sure only the players I want get a chance at the rewards from MY GBs." Selfishness. They also tend to see profit as something dirty and evil. I also view it as a sign of a lazy player. There's plenty of ways to actively manage your GBs to minimize sniping. The problem is, you have to be active. Lazy.

All attitudes and behaviors I have no interest in encouraging in the game, or in life.