• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Arctic Harbor game play information

MaxieMax

Is there any guide for possible strategies in playing with the Arctic Harbor. Would like to not make costly mistakes while trying to "learn"

Ebeondi Asi

There are videos discussing Arctic Harbor. My main strategic decisions were to get Arctic Era Goods in advance. Run the ship/crew to get the most Promithium each run.
Arctic is easy compared to getting the Orichalcum in Oceanic... LOL

Sharmon the Impaler

Always go for the max promethium , never go for the triplets. Try to choose the same ones as much as possible so they level up. Stay in AF until you get 30K Promethium minimum. If you have an SC jack it up , AF is guaranteed to return Promethium. Not so much in later eras.

Ebeondi Asi

I would say it is not necessary to stay in Arctic to gather 30K* Promithium. The problem is needing Arctic Goods forever, to run the ship.
So if you cannot 'save up' enough Arctic Goods, or make enough on a near permanent basis, then yes you should stay in Arctic so you can make he Arctic Goods needed.
*And the total Promithium needed to get through Research for Oceanic, Virtual, SAM, SAAB and Venus is only 15,910 Promithium. Not 30 K
(not telling how much needed for the next Era not yet released. maybe none. maybe a lot?)

Sharmon the Impaler

I would say it is not necessary to stay in Arctic to gather 30K* Promithium. The problem is needing Arctic Goods forever, to run the ship.
So if you cannot 'save up' enough Arctic Goods, or make enough on a near permanent basis, then yes you should stay in Arctic so you can make he Arctic Goods needed.
*And the total Promithium needed to get through Research for Oceanic, Virtual, SAM, SAAB and Venus is only 15,910 Promithium. Not 30 K
(not telling how much needed for the next Era not yet released. maybe none. maybe a lot?)
Lol , what was I thinking , yes you are correct. About 5 months will get you enough Promethium to not worry about it for at least Jupiter (next after SAV)

AloneOnTheRiver

Once you get roughly 15K of Promethium and 8K of ORI, quit sending out your AF/OF ships. You're just wasting goods, and your SC will continue to make those goods on a random basis.

Ebeondi Asi

, and your SC will continue to make those goods on a random basis.
The above works best if the Space Carrier is leveled up.. Level 61 is the sweet spot.
One great addition is The Castle. even more reason to do Negotiations now. With SC charges plus the Castle points. Yes!
I used to hate doing Negotiations. Now I almost enjoy them LOL

Lord Pest

I’m in SAM and still send both ships out. At first I went for max promethium. Now I have 30k promethium. Now I am trying to max out all the sailors. What I do before I age up is to have 30k of each good in the age. I also leave some buildings in AF and OF to give me enough goods of those ages to run the ships.

LaGoulue

I wish there were more helpful hints/guides to Arctic Harbor. The videos with the garbled, slobbering narrator are shameful, given the beauty of the game and the amount of effort on the part of developers and players. If FoE was originally targeted at German-speaking players, the devs should have taken into consideration that the game might be of interest to non-German speakers.

xivarmy

Simplest is as said, just always choose max +promethium. Repair after every trip. It's pretty close to optimum.

-time may have the potential in the long run to improve your promethium/day - but that long run is longer than you need to care about maxing promethium production for. It's better for the OF hub, but +orichalcum is still competitive for the period it matters. -time also has the downside that you have to be on promptly to restart it to gain its theoretical edge.

+repair might be useful if you had a problem with goods to save on repair costs, but there's no reason to have a problem with goods these days.

the scavenger can be neat if you want to keep running the harbor after you no longer need it. this is a bit weird and you'll care about -time and the academic to level up him and the time savers.

Ebeondi Asi

To LaGoulue... All of the how to YouTube videos are made by enthusiasts. not by inno. So no"devs' are involved in making videos on how to play.
One should appreciate any and all effort made by players to help other new players, rather than whine they did not do a perfect job (in your opinion). Make your own videos, So you too can get complaints your videos are not so great LOL

Last edited:

LaGoulue

Point taken. Arctic Harbor is such a quantum leap from what went before, I'm surprised there aren't more guides and helpful hints.

Ebeondi Asi

The only real difference in SAM is the Colony/needing Credits to make Mars Ore.
#1 have the entire "Continental map" of SAM open before entering SAM.
#2 Immediately when entering SAM fill the Colony with 2x2 Pods fully. To max out making all the Credits youcan. (this means you have a good stash of Supplies.!)
#3 Work the ore spots in the Conti map to make Mars Ore. You can keep the Colony Pods in place until you Have completed all Research for SAM
Afterwards, you can decide to make Goods there? or not bother. You can add the expansions to the Colony or not. But you will need them to make Goods in the Colony. Then if yo decide to make Goods? Use Life support or not is another question. Main answer to that is how much you have a surplus Coins and paticulary supplies

Ebeondi Asi

It's really not. It's a boring grind to stop players from blitzing the age too fast. They tried to sell it as fun. But it lacks much for real depth.
Boring? maybe if you are in a big hurry LOL
I found it interesting and a nice change.

xivarmy

Boring? maybe if you are in a big hurry LOL
I found it interesting and a nice change.

Well I mean when you can simplify it down to "just take promethium" and that's close to optimum... there's not much interest there.

Colony was an interesting approach to the same concept in Mars (you can go just credits, you can go life supported goods, you can go no-life support goods, you can fuss over the layout to meet your objective better), but got less interesting in SAAB (you can't get enough ore per day to justify heavily optimizing the layout even if you want to use it to make (more) goods) and then they copy/pasted that version to all the later ages :p

Ebeondi Asi

then they copy/pasted that version to all the later ages :p
So 13 Ages all the same... then something new! two ages with ship/sub and new Special Goods.(plus the unusual length of Oceanic) then back to the original type (VF) and then a different new style for four Eras.
So now because four Eras are similar, How it is a giant problem? How did anyone make it through those first thirteen?
My hope is that they really do make it more difficult for Saturn. Then you can complain about it being different. LOL
The complain seems to be because they bothered to change it around a little, but it was not enough!! they have to do more every time! I could care less. it is still interesting and fun to play Forge Of Empires.

xivarmy

So 13 Ages all the same... then something new! two ages with ship/sub and new Special Goods.(plus the unusual length of Oceanic) then back to the original type (VF) and then a different new style for four Eras.
So now because four Eras are similar, How it is a giant problem? How did anyone make it through those first thirteen?
My hope is that they really do make it more difficult for Saturn. Then you can complain about it being different. LOL
The complain seems to be because they bothered to change it around a little, but it was not enough!! they have to do more every time! I could care less. it is still interesting and fun to play Forge Of Empires.

Because the original version of it (Mars) was actually quite inspired. From a gameplay perspective it was awesome. I spent a great deal of time playing with layouts for it and thinking about it.

Then they dumbed it down while making it more lucrative in SAAB. I didn't even feel motivated to make a better layout (because I'd just run out of ore if I tried to add more buildings) - and *that* is the one they copied forward.

Ironrooster

Once you get roughly 15K of Promethium and 8K of ORI, quit sending out your AF/OF ships. You're just wasting goods, and your SC will continue to make those goods on a random basis.
Just curious, what can you do with the Arctic goods once you have reached VF and beyond? I have thousands of Arctic goods and no longer produce them, but other than sending the ship out, what can I do with them.

I might try to trade them, but there is very little trading going on since the event buildings have taken care of goods needs. And the only people who want them are offering goods from lower ages I don't need.

Pericles the Lion

Just curious, what can you do with the Arctic goods once you have reached VF and beyond? I have thousands of Arctic goods and no longer produce them, but other than sending the ship out, what can I do with them.

I might try to trade them, but there is very little trading going on since the event buildings have taken care of goods needs. And the only people who want them are offering goods from lower ages I don't need.
If you are into gaining player ranking points, then donate them your guild treasury