• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Are negotiations just a guessing game?

rainbow-wine

I'm a newbie and I think I'm doing pretty well, but I can't seem to figure out negotiating. Am I supposed to figure out which person would like which good based solely upon their picture? Is there a trick to figuring this out? Do females just want gold, honey, jewelry or etc., and all guys want iron, marble, stone, ebony or etc.? I tried using the guide, but that seemed to confuse me even more with all the UUC's, PPC, PUPC's, etc. Where is the logic to figuring this out?

UBERhelp1

I'm a newbie and I think I'm doing pretty well, but I can't seem to figure out negotiating. Am I supposed to figure out which person would like which good based solely upon their picture? Is there a trick to figuring this out? Do females just want gold, honey, jewelry or etc., and all guys want iron, marble, stone, ebony or etc.? I tried using the guide, but that seemed to confuse me even more with all the UUC's, PPC, PUPC's, etc. Where is the logic to figuring this out?
That guide is a little confusingly technical.

Basically, it's random on who wants what. There's some main steps though.
  1. First, if it's GE, start the negotiation tavern boost. You get one extra turn and it's really handy.
  2. Start by giving everyone a different good. You want to figure out which ones you need and which ones you don't.
  3. Figure out where the yellow (right good, wrong spots) go.
There is a bit of guessing in it, sometimes you just get unlucky. But the more negotiations you do, the better you'll get.

Snek

Negotiations is a process of elimination. You try each choice to eliminate it, until you're left with the correct answer. I also find that always negotiating the same way, helps. Used goods in the wrong place will generally move to the right for the next guess, etc.

Use logic to solve the puzzle, there is no logic as to who wants what.
There is quite a lot of strategy in negs. Think carefully before pressing pay and negotiate

Ironrooster

Pictures are for decoration only.
The first part of the Guild Expedition has some really easy negotiations, you don't even need the Tavern boost for them. It is unlocked when you enter the Iron Age. You also have to belong to a guild, join one or create your own.
This is a guessing and logic puzzle. The first round is all guessing, use as many different goods (coins, supplies, and medals are sometimes included like goods) as possible. After that it's logic and guessing.
Guild Expeditions start on Tuesdays.
Good luck

JR007

I always follow these rules in all negotiations, and there are many other negotiations in the game than GE.
Some definitions for clarity: Eligible goods are those that have not already been ruled out. Definite goods are those that are as yet not in a slot, but the game has told me they will fill at least one of the remaining slots.
I otherwise always start with a different eligible good for each slot if there are more remaining different eligible goods than slots.
Once I know 1 or more eligible goods, I will continue trying to find that/those Definite goods until I solve the negotiation of a good is ruled out by the game.
When the above rules are satisfied I will always then try first to fill slots with those remaining eligible goods I have the most of and not doubling up on an eligible good until all other possibilities are eliminated.

Goth Almighty

To answer the OP's original question: yes, negotiations are guessing games. The object is to solve the negotiation within the first 3 moves or you'll pay 10 diamonds for each move thereafter. As RazorbackPirate mentioned, it also is a process of elimination. Considering the costs in goods and diamonds, it is less expensive to fight, if you don't spend too many diamonds healing your armies.

Joeyjojojo

Never spend diamonds on negotiations. Ever. Just redo the negotiation until you get it right. Goods are cheap to basically worthless now days, diamonds are still equivalent to real money.
While I agree with this 100% for GE, Japan, and the space age C-map goods, I do occasionally spend diamonds for GBG negotiations when I am 100% sure that a 4th turn will do it. But that is less to save goods, and more to save time/frustration. I'll note that I do have a fair # of diamonds from my diamond farms, so the 10 for an extra turn is almost as cheap as the goods I pay out.

Lancer

Never spend diamonds on negotiations. Ever. Just redo the negotiation until you get it right. Goods are cheap to basically worthless now days, diamonds are still equivalent to real money.

I will occasionally spend diamonds on negotiations, but I will only do this if I'm on the harder levels of GE, and if I'm at the last encounter of a sector that once solving said encounter will grant you the access to the next four. Another scenario that I would use diamonds on is the very last encounter of each level of GE, if I haven't yet solved it in the 4 attempts I have been given (with using the tavern boost ofcourse), just so I can finish and get to the next level or just to acquire the reward in the last encounter of each level which generally is the best. Depending on your preference that is.

BigBrian614

It is not a guessing game at all, it is a way to get you to spend diamonds. no matter which goods you choose, there is a predetermined out come. (how many right, wrong person or incorrect). the predetermined outcome get's easier as you give up. I do not even attempt 6 good negotiations, you have like a .01% chance of getting it done in 3 turns. Of course if you pay for the extra turn, you have a better chance but that does not work in BG.

BigBrian614

And the worst part is when you are down to the last chance (before spending diamonds). You have a 50/50 chance and 99% of the time it is the other one you did not pick.
more like 99.99% of the time it is the opposite of what you pick. I think the reason is they know most people will spend the diamonds because now the player knows for sure what the correct one is. Kind of a scam by definition.

BigBrian614

It is not a guessing game at all, it is a way to get you to spend diamonds. no matter which goods you choose, there is a predetermined out come. (how many right, wrong person or incorrect). the predetermined outcome get's easier as you give up. I do not even attempt 6 good negotiations, you have like a .01% chance of getting it done in 3 turns. Of course if you pay for the extra turn, you have a better chance but that does not work in BG.
on a 5 goods negotiation, if you get 1 incorrect, 4 wrong person, give up. Like I said before, there is no goods you can choose to change the outcome. It is a set pattern of Incorrect, wrong person, correct. The goods you choose are irrelevant.