• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Armies

PAPO757

When fighting in the continental maps and your army is one era up on the defending army it seems that they are just as or stronger than your attacking army even though you infiltrated that sector. Whats up with that?

Reese7990

Depends on the sector. Progressing through the maps each sectors bonus percentage increases. For instance the America Map, by the time you have reached the ends of the map, the bonuses are 80%. Where as they are far lower at the beginning of the map.

Nicholas002

it is possible that you are matching up the units wrong.

For example, heavy units are strong vs light units.
So a Bronze age warrior (heavy), gains a bonus of 3 attack and 3 defense when going against a Iron age soldier (light).

warrior (normal) = 6/10 ---------- warrior (vs soldier) = 9/10
soldier (normal) = 9/9 ------------ soldier (vs warrior) = 9/9

so in this match-up, the previous era unit is stronger.

PAPO757

So a Bronze age warrior (heavy), gains a bonus of 3 attack and 3 defense when going against a Iron age soldier (light).

Thanks good to know. It seems that this game is setup so that you will have to spend a lot of money so you can really enjoy it. I miss the real time strategy games like Age of Empire where you buy the disc and can play against the computer or play against others and not have to spend hundreds of dollars on a game that takes forever to play. Now all games are set up so that the developers can make loads of money.

PAPO757

Depends on the sector. Progressing through the maps each sectors bonus percentage increases. For instance the America Map, by the time you have reached the ends of the map, the bonuses are 80%. Where as they are far lower at the beginning of the map.
Thanks good to know. It seems that this game is setup so that you will have to spend a lot of money so you can really enjoy it. I miss the real time strategy games like Age of Empire where you buy the disc and can play against the computer or play against others and not have to spend hundreds of dollars on a game that takes forever to play. Now all games are set up so that the developers can make loads of money.

Nicholas002

Actually the majority of players pay very little. It is very possible to do well in the game without paying a cent.
This game does take forever, and is designed to: even if you spent tons of money buying diamonds, it still would take a long time.

I suggest you read the forums. There is a wealth of knowledge to be found here, guides on different strategies, etc.
best of luck!

Vger

You must be a youngster :D I miss Sid Meier's Civilization more than AoE. And it came on Floppy discs o_O
You can spend a massive amount of money on FOE if you want to. Some people do. Or you can spend no money at all. Lots of people (self included) go that route. Or you can spend just a little bit, maybe what you would have spent to get the latest version of Civ or Aoe back in the day. It's totally up to you.

Reese7990

I have spent far less than 100.00 in a year and a half on this game. I have bought diamonds during events when offered with the event currency, but that is it.

You can definitely suceed in this game with very little spending or none at all. But there is definitely a commitment of time and perseverance.

Emberguard

Thanks good to know. It seems that this game is setup so that you will have to spend a lot of money so you can really enjoy it.
It’s really not. Money isn’t going to magically make you succeed at the game. If you don’t know how to do it for free, you won’t do much better using money. It may even stunt your growth if you’re using it to get out of a problem without fixing what’s causing the problem. If however you know what you’re doing then money can help cut some corners and be a great asset

What’s the problems you have in the game so far?

Actually the majority of players pay very little. It is very possible to do well in the game without paying a cent.
This game does take forever, and is designed to: even if you spent tons of money buying diamonds, it still would take a long time.

I suggest you read the forums. There is a wealth of knowledge to be found here, guides on different strategies, etc.
best of luck!
Please. It's nothing but a money grab. I'm in the Modern Era. On my Map, half my opponents are from the PostModern Era, and on top of that, have anywhere from +15 to +60 offense and defense bonus. THEN, when you do a battle, it's starts out where I have 8 units against their 5 or 6 units. I manage to defeat those units taking a hit to half my units, but instead of winning the map piece, I have to fight another SIX OR EIGHT opposing units! Of course I can use Diamonds to heal my units, but once again, that a money grab. I have a standard 39% offense boost and a 35% defense boost, and even if I go to my tavern and spend coins to up one of the two another 20% (yeah if you want to boost both offense and defense for a period of time, guess what, more diamonds. ;<{) I still can't defeat an opponent army that has a +25 and it's 16 against 8, regardless of your strategy as to which units you use to fight with.

Nicholas002

Please. It's nothing but a money grab. I'm in the Modern Era. On my Map, half my opponents are from the PostModern Era, and on top of that, have anywhere from +15 to +60 offense and defense bonus. THEN, when you do a battle, it's starts out where I have 8 units against their 5 or 6 units. I manage to defeat those units taking a hit to half my units, but instead of winning the map piece, I have to fight another SIX OR EIGHT opposing units! Of course I can use Diamonds to heal my units, but once again, that a money grab. I have a standard 39% offense boost and a 35% defense boost, and even if I go to my tavern and spend coins to up one of the two another 20% (yeah if you want to boost both offense and defense for a period of time, guess what, more diamonds. ;<{) I still can't defeat an opponent army that has a +25 and it's 16 against 8, regardless of your strategy as to which units you use to fight with.
If you can't beat an army boosted with 25% A/D, then you moved through the ages too fast.
39/35 is far too low of a boost for Modern Era, maybe good enough for EMA...
A good idea, would be to stop advancing tech, and work on you GBs until you have at least a 90/90 boost.
At that point, fighting actually becomes fun, rather than being a chore.

For the two wave armies, one unit+ 7 rogues helps a lot... with a decent boost, you should be able to beat two wave armies without losses.

Agent327

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the game. What is wrong is the way you are trying to play it. I have never before seen someone rush the game the way you do. You are in the Modern Era with only 3 GB's and two of those are not considered to be very usefull. You have a Notre Dame lvl 9 and an Oracle lvl 10. Only usefull GB you have is Zeus lvl 9. That's it. I have seen cities in IA that are stronger. When I have a look at your city all I see is a pile up of bad decissions. I would not even know how to tell you to fix it. My best advice would be to start all over and this time take your time developing your city.

DevaCat

Money grab? You're really on a roll today lol.

I would not advance past Iron Age with military boosts that low; I would not consider it sufficient for even EMA. You're in Modern and surprised at 2-wave battles? What game have you been playing?

Modern, and just 3 GBs at 10 or less? Notre Dame? Really??? What's next, the Colosseum?

Seriously, to join the forum today just to complain about the game being a money grab is pointless. Instead of spreading your misconceptions in these posts you would be far better served by doing some reading, asking some questions, and learning how to play a game that you appear to have misunderstood.

Farfle the smelly

Thank you for this. I’m still trying to figure out how this works. Your explanation finally clicked!

OP: I agree that you should probably chill out on the c-map for the time being. If you’re super invested anyway, don’t forget that you can negotiate with your goods in the market. If you have a decent guild this is super easy and very cost effective. I just did it myself in Iron in which I’ve gone far past the map like an idiot. Good luck.

If you can't beat an army boosted with 25% A/D, then you moved through the ages too fast.
39/35 is far too low of a boost for Modern Era, maybe good enough for EMA...
A good idea, would be to stop advancing tech, and work on you GBs until you have at least a 90/90 boost.
At that point, fighting actually becomes fun, rather than being a chore.

For the two wave armies, one unit+ 7 rogues helps a lot... with a decent boost, you should be able to beat two wave armies without losses.
Sounds like good advise, but I've never understood the "moving through the ages too fast" mantra. In order to build more goods and supplies, you have to win the battles on the Map where you get the ability to build the supplies and goods at a maximum output. As you progress through the map, you face armies from the next era or even two. Along with their boost, you can't beat them unless you go to the next era to build the same level of armies to defeat them to continue moving through the map. As far as Great Buildings, you have to find the map pieces in order to build them. You also have to either win the piece of the Map where there's Extensions, or find enough medals to get an Expansion so you have some place to even put a GB, especially when many of them cover two expansion pieces. You also have to build the GB's that provide the boost. The only GB's I have on my list give you an extra 3% of military boost. So I don't know who you can get to a 90/90 boost with just building GB's (again if you can find the pieces).
I only have one Rogue Hideout, so unless I buy Diamonds, all I can create are two of them.

Nicholas002

Sounds like good advise, but I've never understood the "moving through the ages too fast" mantra. In order to build more goods and supplies, you have to win the battles on the Map where you get the ability to build the supplies and goods at a maximum output. As you progress through the map, you face armies from the next era or even two. Along with their boost, you can't beat them unless you go to the next era to build the same level of armies to defeat them to continue moving through the map.
The continent map, and story quest-line, are not that important. They can be ignored for long periods of time without negative consequences, unless you produce your goods chiefly in goods production buildings, (which is the least efficient way to produce them).
As far as Great Buildings, you have to find the map pieces in order to build them.
Blueprints for Great buildings have nothing to do with the campaign map. You get BPs by aiding, plundering, quests, or contributing to great buildings. Not from the Campaign map.
You also have to either win the piece of the Map where there's Extensions, or find enough medals to get an Expansion so you have some place to even put a GB, especially when many of them cover two expansion pieces.
if your city is full of goods buildings, and the offsetting population and happiness buildings to support them, then yes, you will be very short on space.
to solve that problem, work on getting goods non-conventionally, and you will save a lot of space. Having GBs like Notre Dame doesn't help either: it is a GB that gives you practically nothing, and takes up a lot of space and is a waste of Forge points. just because you can build a GB, does'nt mean you have to, or even should.
You also have to build the GB's that provide the boost. The only GB's I have on my list give you an extra 3% of military boost. So I don't know who you can get to a 90/90 boost with just building GB's (again if you can find the pieces).
Statue of zeus, Cathedral of Aachen, and Castel del Monte, all are low age GBs that are easy to build early, and each give a 30/30 boost at level 10. If you have them all at 10, it adds up to a 90/90 boost.
I only have one Rogue Hideout, so unless I buy Diamonds, all I can create are two of them.
you only need one Rogue hideout, if you have Alcatraz. Traz will also eliminate the need for barracks, which are pop and space hogs as well.

In short, if you get the right GBs (SoZ, CoA, CdM, CF, Traz, Arc, etc) and delete the bad ones, (ND, OoD) you will free up a lot of space in your city, make it more efficient, and get better at fighting. Good luck!

Vger

Sounds like good advise, but I've never understood the "moving through the ages too fast" mantra.
Well, now would be a really good time to understand and learn from that mantra, because everything you said after that is wrong.

It's a mantra for a reason: IT WORKS.

What you are doing does NOT WORK. That's why you're here trying to claim that the game is just a money grab. There are too many successful F2P players here to ever win that argument. I dare say most of the P2P players here would also disagree with your argument.

@Nicholas002 is giving you some really good advice. Are you smart enough to listen and learn from it? Or are you going to plunder on like you have been and add yet another bronze boots statue to your city?

cton2.forge

@Nicholas002 is giving you some really good advice. Are you smart enough to listen and learn from it? Or are you going to plunder on like you have been and add yet another bronze boots statue to your city?

I think you meant 'blunder' on, I don't think OP has the attack boost to attack and plunder anyone in their hood...