• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Army Boot Camp

• Thread starter DeletedUser29109
  • Start date

DeletedUser29109

I haven't been able to find any king of succinct information on how best to both utilize and understand the different skills and capabilities of the individual army units. I end up quickly running through my goods supply negotiating my way through the guild expedition levels. I would love it if there were some kind of "boot camp" per age that helped me to understand how best to utilize my army instead of just "winging it".

DeletedUser29109

Check out the FoE Wiki - should be a good start to telling you all you need to know.
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Units
Thanks! I definitely did not know about that page. It is nice to be able to see all the capabilities on one page but I am looking for something a little more in-depth. For example, what are the benefits of one unit being able to move further than another, when should I utilize that capability and why? How can I tell that where I place my unit is going to give me an additional attack or defense bonus? Can the game creators provide some kind of "boot camp" or practice arena where I can get to "train" my soldiers without having to wait for them to regenerate.

DeletedUser

Like a lot in this game...ask 3 people how to fight and you will get 3 different answers. I suggest trial and error and study the bonus's for each unit and terrain.
I think one of the worse things they did was just put a sword over what you can hit. It really took away from learning the bonuses.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser29109

This is why the game is fun, you learn as you go. Imagine being one of those Robot heavy questers. Same crap, day after day, after day.
That's very true and I'm not asking for anything major but I'm more than halfway thru the Colonial Age and all I've learned is that the Auto Battle doesn't work as well anymore.

DeletedUser25166

That's very true and I'm not asking for anything major but I'm more than halfway thru the Colonial Age and all I've learned is that the Auto Battle doesn't work as well anymore.
Autobattle really only works with an attack bonus over 90%. Colonial was muskets and rangers for me.

DeletedUser25273

The FoE combat system has a lot of little nuances that make it fairly simple to start, but can take a while to master. There is a simple cycle (at least until you get to Progresive era when it changes) that Light Units beat Fast Units that beat Ranged Units that beat Heavy Units that beat Light Units (but high boost beats low boost). Some units also have special abilities that tweak combat to, like EMA mounted archers are very fast, but do less damage than Iron age Archers. You alsoo get things like the ability to hide in terrain, forcing your oponent to come to you. Speed can have an advantage (especially you opponent has long range attacks), but you need to be careful early in the battle that they don't charge ahead of the rest of the force.

Yes, Auto Battle turns your forces over to the AI, which is fairly dumb, so should only be done when victory is sure, either because you so massively out class your opponent oor you have already beaten them up enough.

DeletedUser

Thanks! I definitely did not know about that page. It is nice to be able to see all the capabilities on one page but I am looking for something a little more in-depth. For example, what are the benefits of one unit being able to move further than another, when should I utilize that capability and why? How can I tell that where I place my unit is going to give me an additional attack or defense bonus? Can the game creators provide some kind of "boot camp" or practice arena where I can get to "train" my soldiers without having to wait for them to regenerate.
Once you're in a battle, you can hover your cursor over each unit (yours and theirs) and a pop-up will show that unit's info, including terrain bonuses. Then, when you're ready to move each unit, click on it, then hover your cursor over the tiles you are thinking about moving it to, and the terrain type for that tile should show.

DeletedUser27184

Colonial age is FUN in battles. You got the Grandelir, which is an AWESOME troop. Its heavy, but it can hit from a double space! So he dont get damage back on his hit. Always try to use that.
You add with him 7 rogues. Which means you MUST have Alcatraz, to produce tons of rogues.

Specific tactics:
IF the other side don't have artillery, its the easiest battle. You make a small block of rogues(+1 Grandalier) in the left side (where you start) on the upper or lower side. That will force the enemy to come to you, you wait till the other side hit a few of your rogues, and then you hit him back and wipe at least half of the enemy troops on the first attack rotation.

IF the other side have artilery, its harder. Then you have to push through the enemy, hitting the Musketeers first (as they annihilate heavy troops), and hit the artillery ASAP (as they also kill grandiliar fast).
If one of your troops is hit, try to keep it at the back, to save it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser27184

Also try to use the land to your advantage. Grandelier on the Plain will get extra 10 bonus for defense. So try to finish your movement on a plain (not a tree/bush/swamp).

DeletedUser29109

Check out the FoE Wiki - should be a good start to telling you all you need to know.
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Units
Is there a place like this index that explains the meaning behind all the different symbols? Also, I think it would be helpful if you could tap on the symbol while in the game and receive a quick snyopsis, or even just a name of what it is. I'm having particular trouble finding what one of the Ranger symbols means.

DeletedUser25273

The only strange symbol I can think of for Rangers would be the eye, whiich indicates they have the special ability of Stealth (Hide in Forest), which means they are iimmune to ranged attacked if they are in a forest hex. On the wiki page if you click on the symbol it take you to an explaination page.

DeletedUser29109

The only strange symbol I can think of for Rangers would be the eye, whiich indicates they have the special ability of Stealth (Hide in Forest), which means they are iimmune to ranged attacked if they are in a forest hex. On the wiki page if you click on the symbol it take you to an explaination page.
I've looked for this wiki page and can't find it. Could you provide a link to the page?

DeletedUser

On the right side of the main Forum page under Quick Links, click on "Wiki". On the left side of the page that comes up, click on "Units". Up will come a list of all military units by Age. Click on any icon in the "Special Abilities" column and it will take you to a page with all the special abilities symbols with an explanation of each. (The eye symbol for stealth is listed last.)