• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Community Rejected Army Management window improvements (show healing/training time left)

LoveNkind

I do not hav the space in my city for military buildings. But Traz does not require military bldgs to be finished, or even connected to a road. So I make troops right away whenever I want or need them. I have made 100s of each kind of prior age troops.

Mor-Rioghain

I'd like to see healing time on unattached troops as well - particularly above-era troops that you only ever have a fixed number of it'd be nice to have an idea of how much more waiting til they're fully healed (should I wait for it to finish or diamond heal it?)
Unnattached units cannot heal unless you are willing to spend diamonds to do so. (I can see how this proposal would benefit only the newest of players so I voted no. Unless you never intend to build the Alcatraz, it really is a moot point. Even on my 'farm' where I do not have a Traz, I have so many units earned from GE/BG that I haven't dropped a rack in over 2 years to obtain new units. On a side note: Since veteran players will advise you to keep your Campaign map, Storyline Quest, and your Current Era aligned, there wouldn't even be any 'advance-era' troops to concern yourself with so that, too, is a moot point. Personally, I say that if you choose to advance on the Campaign Map to earn higher-era units, you should also be willing to spend those diamonds to keep them whole, so No was my final thought on the issue).

Last edited:

xivarmy

Unnattached units cannot heal unless you are willing to spend diamonds to do so. (I can see how this proposal would benefit only the newest of players so I voted no. Unless you never intend to build the Alcatraz, it really is a moot point. Even on my 'farm' where I do not have a Traz, I have so many units earned from GE/BG that I haven't dropped a rack in over 2 years to obtain new units. On a side note: Since veteran players will advise you to keep your Campaign map, Storyline Quest, and your Current Era aligned, there wouldn't even be any 'advance-era' troops to concern yourself with so that, too, is a moot point. Personally, I say that if you choose to advance on the Campaign Map to earn higher-era units, you should also be willing to spend those diamonds to keep them whole, so No was my final thought on the issue).
Unattached units heal over time like any unit (i.e. as long as they're not completely dead, they'll be back to full health in under a day for rogues/champs, or under 4 hours for "normal" units of EMA+).

The point is you can't see how long. You could get the last tick back in a minute, and would surely want to wait. Or it could be 15 minutes, and perhaps you want to go now.

MaryTheBold

"The shortest healing times are found on Bronze Age units, with the time to heal one hit point increasing in the Iron Age before reaching the maximum 24 minutes per hit point in the Early Middle Ages." If one remembers this they can easily calculate healing time w/o the additions. All said it wouldn't bother me if they did or didn't. If it helps newer players and is also easy to make the adjustment, why not? I voted no even so.

Last edited:

Mor-Rioghain

Unattached units heal over time like any unit (i.e. as long as they're not completely dead, they'll be back to full health in under a day for rogues/champs, or under 4 hours for "normal" units of EMA+).

The point is you can't see how long. You could get the last tick back in a minute, and would surely want to wait. Or it could be 15 minutes, and perhaps you want to go now.
I understood the point but did you? (Not trying to be mean...) The units will heal according to their own schedule and it's only reduced by your guild's level. What you are saying is that you want a meter on the game? Why? Aren't you able to calculate for yourself? My point? The developers should spend valuable time to give a tiny fraction of the players of FoE something they could get by using a hand-held calculator -- or displaying a bit of patience. I think the whole "point" is that it's a very temporary problem for any player. As players progress through the game-with or without a Traz-they will accumulate enough units that attached units become virtually meaningless. If they are meaningless, why on Earth would you need to know how long it takes to heal them? If you change to a higher/lower level guild your healing time will change. If you stay in the same guild and it's level rises -- as it's wont to do -- the heal time will change. So, Inno games should what...write a program that calculate all of this on the whims of novice players? That's preposterous. I (and virtually every other player who's played more than a month or two) would much rather they spent their time developing actual fixes for existing problems and generating new features for existing players to keep the game interesting and progressive. It's a non-issue. Should they start charging us to play to hire more people to write this type of program? I think not. I'd rather pay for a membership and see changes that have some long-term meaning in the game than one that addresses what amounts to a fleeting need.

You write: "The point is you can't see how long....and perhaps you want to go now."

Patience. Patience is the only way you will survive in this game.

If you learn the math and use it when it's needed, you won't need to rely on a tool that is only pertinent for a relatively short time in a game that is meant to be long-lasting. The gentleman above used "24" as a referent point. It's a valid point as 24 hours is the base number of hours it will take to heal units. If you just round down the % points of healing on a given unit, it does give you an approximate # to deal with. After all, if you "want to go now," you can always use diamond to heal your unit(s).

MKPapa

The units will heal according to their own schedule and it's only reduced by your guild's level. What you are saying is that you want a meter on the game? Why? Aren't you able to calculate for yourself?
When you hover over a building it shows what will be produced and how much time is left. All buildings produce according to their own schedule and for some (producing unattached units like Traz) it's only reduced by your guild's level. Do you find this info helpful? Why? Aren't you able to calculate for yourself?
For units it is pretty much the same.

There is a thing that is named convenience. I find knowing the exact unit heal/training time left very convenient.

Mor-Rioghain

you hover over a building it shows what will be produced and how much time is left. All buildings produce according to their own schedule and for some (producing unattached units like Traz) it's only reduced by your guild's level. Do you find this info helpful? Why? Aren't you able to calculate for yourself?
For units it is pretty much the same.

There is a thing that is named convenience. I find knowing the exact unit heal/training time left very convenient.
Okay, I got curious. I built a spear fighter barracks and this is what I saw:
(I thought I'd remembered something about time. Is this only on the pc? This screenshot is from my pc....if mobile doesn't do this, I'd have to wonder why...)

Not sure but I think this answers the question of healing time.

Attachments

• healing time screenshot.jpg
    healing time screenshot.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 2

Johnny B. Goode

I understood the point but did you? (Not trying to be mean...) The units will heal according to their own schedule and it's only reduced by your guild's level. What you are saying is that you want a meter on the game? Why? Aren't you able to calculate for yourself? My point? The developers should spend valuable time to give a tiny fraction of the players of FoE something they could get by using a hand-held calculator -- or displaying a bit of patience. I think the whole "point" is that it's a very temporary problem for any player. As players progress through the game-with or without a Traz-they will accumulate enough units that attached units become virtually meaningless. If they are meaningless, why on Earth would you need to know how long it takes to heal them? If you change to a higher/lower level guild your healing time will change. If you stay in the same guild and it's level rises -- as it's wont to do -- the heal time will change. So, Inno games should what...write a program that calculate all of this on the whims of novice players? That's preposterous. I (and virtually every other player who's played more than a month or two) would much rather they spent their time developing actual fixes for existing problems and generating new features for existing players to keep the game interesting and progressive. It's a non-issue. Should they start charging us to play to hire more people to write this type of program? I think not. I'd rather pay for a membership and see changes that have some long-term meaning in the game than one that addresses what amounts to a fleeting need.

You write: "The point is you can't see how long....and perhaps you want to go now."

Patience. Patience is the only way you will survive in this game.

If you learn the math and use it when it's needed, you won't need to rely on a tool that is only pertinent for a relatively short time in a game that is meant to be long-lasting. The gentleman above used "24" as a referent point. It's a valid point as 24 hours is the base number of hours it will take to heal units. If you just round down the % points of healing on a given unit, it does give you an approximate # to deal with. After all, if you "want to go now," you can always use diamond to heal your unit(s).
You are responding here to a very experienced player. One of the few I would go to if I ever had a serious question about the game. He (or she, don't want to assume) understands the point very well, but you missed it. Your solution would require noting after each battle which unit(s) got wounded and the exact time. Then calculate each unit's healing duration and when it will be fully healed. That's a lot of work to do for every fight. Too bad there isn't some other way to know. You know, like a bit of code to make the info (which the game already has) available to us. Hmmm. (And asking if he/she knows how to use a calculator seems rather rude. If it were a new poster you might have driven them away from the Forum.)
Okay, I got curious. I built a spear fighter barracks and this is what I saw:
(I thought I'd remembered something about time. Is this only on the pc? This screenshot is from my pc....if mobile doesn't do this, I'd have to wonder why...)

Not sure but I think this answers the question of healing time.
Yeah, maybe you should go back and read the OP. The original intent of this Idea was to avoid having to switch back and forth between the barracks and the Army management windows. So no, that doesn't answer the question of healing time with regards to this proposal.

Pericles the Lion

I'm surprised that a long-term player didn't notice that unattached units heal all by themselves. Most in 216 minutes, or less, depending on amount of damage. ;)

Johnny B. Goode

The truth is that I misunderstood something far more important -- and that wasn't picked up on by you but another poster replying to me (can't remember the name)--unattached units not healing over time. I am gobsmacked! I have played for 5 years and been taught by some of the most experienced players on 3 worlds, inlcuding Dunarsand, one of the oldest worlds - and never, not once until his reply has anyone even suggested that unattached units are healable by anything other than diamonds.

I have to admit to being seriously hacked off that there isn't an 'official' source for this information (and like info)!!! HOW can something like that not be available except through 'word of mouth,' etc?? Good grief. It makes my head want to blow up thinking of how many damaged units i've left in my army management screen over the years, with every intent of blowing them up, because I deemed them 'useless!' I'm speechless. (and yes, under those circumstances alone, if I could, I'd retract my "no" vote and say "yes," since imho, that changes the whole tenor of the proposal.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or not. I saw your comment about unattached units not healing, and @xivarmy corrected you by providing the obvious information that they are indeed healed over time...not revived, but healed. That's why I didn't address it in my response to you. I've known that for years, and nobody had to tell me, I saw it myself right after my first tutorial battle with Spearmen almost 8 years ago. You never noticed that those unattached Spearmen who got wounded in the tutorial battle came back to full strength?!?

Mor-Rioghain

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or not. I saw your comment about unattached units not healing, and @xivarmy corrected you by providing the obvious information that they are indeed healed over time...not revived, but healed. That's why I didn't address it in my response to you. I've known that for years, and nobody had to tell me, I saw it myself right after my first tutorial battle with Spearmen almost 8 years ago. You never noticed that those unattached Spearmen who got wounded in the tutorial battle came back to full strength?!?
No, I'm not being sarcastic -- what I wrote is what I wrote! IDK why you seem to take issue with the things I've been posting but I've never had any intention from this forum account or my original one that I had for over 3 years but to assist and ask questions. That's what any member's intentions should be, in my opinion.

No, I don't remember a tutorial I completed nearly 5 1/2 years ago. Furthermore, I have had literally hundreds of players -- across three worlds -- all of whom were experienced fighters and more importantly, in teaching guilds as students first and teachers later, who not only stated something like "once unnattached units are wounded (damaged), they do not heal" to the more assertive (active voice) "you cannot heal damaged unnattached units," etc.

This is not a casual or misunderstood premise based on something 'left out' of a suggestion/hint/piece of advice, this was what they all stated in one fashion or another. It wasn't until after I read that last night that I asked a question in my guild chat room and someone answered that yes, they were healed over time. I'm still floored; the implications of how many units I've thrown to the winds by coupling them with damaged and less effective units over an approximatge 4 year period of owning a Traz are mind-bogglingly huge!. I know it seems crazy but the truth is that I haven't found a single piece of literature that states that they are healed or not other than that one comment right here on this forum. I would like to see Inno be a bit more transparent on some issues with a guide or something of that nature for such a pertinent issue (and many others like it). FAQs are simply not enough, imho.

Suffice to say that while I posted an off-topic comment, i.e., the healing of unattached units, it was in my original post on this thread as a single part of an ongoing, multi-faceted conversation, not the 'subject' of it. Please stop bringing up the off-topic issues that either I or another member have mentioned -- I'm hardly the only one here who has brought up extraneous info. I simply wanted to set the record straight on my position on the proposal not to start another topic of conversation. Thanks.

Mor-Rioghain

I'm surprised that a long-term player didn't notice that unattached units heal all by themselves. Most in 216 minutes, or less, depending on amount of damage. ;)
But honestly, how would you know? Your army management screen only shows 20 of each type of unit and there is no way to "look inside of your traz." The assumption that the damaged units were replaced with undamaged units isn't that far out of reach if everyone you've ever talked to has told you the same thing. After all, I log out of the game when I am no longer going to play and it wouldn't be the first time that upon logging back in that something in the game had changed, i.e., incidents 'magically appearing all over my city screen,' and so on. I don't know the 'computer lingo' to explain it but when the RAM is cleared (or whatever it's actually called), things do change. It's really not that big a leap of logic for someone who knows how to use a computer but doesn't know the fine-tuned mechanics of how they work.

(I mention the logging in/out because there have been times when I didn't log out and saw the same damaged units hours later or no incidents but if I logged out/in, the incidents were populated and the units were all undamaged. There are tons of examples of the buffer being 'purged' in this game and other things I do on the computer so honestly, it is not at all surprising that the things I'd been told coupled with my experience of purging a buffer would lend itself towards supporting the notion that the units weren't actually healing).

Johnny B. Goode

I know it seems crazy but the truth is that I haven't found a single piece of literature that states that they are healed or not other than that one comment right here on this forum. I would like to see Inno be a bit more transparent on some issues with a guide or something of that nature for such a pertinent issue (and many others like it). FAQs are simply not enough, imho.
Try here, in the official FoE Wiki that is available to all players:
And specifically, the first two sentences:
"Is the battle over and your units have been damaged? No problem – they heal automatically over time, one life point at a time. Units that were destroyed in battle do not heal."
Notice that it does not say "attached units only", which means that it applies to all units.

Interesting that you've been told the opposite, I've never heard anyone here or in-game say that. I just figured everyone knew that all damaged units heal over time.

Pericles the Lion

But honestly, how would you know? Your army management screen only shows 20 of each type of unit and there is no way to "look inside of your traz." The assumption that the damaged units were replaced with undamaged units isn't that far out of reach if everyone you've ever talked to has told you the same thing. After all, I log out of the game when I am no longer going to play and it wouldn't be the first time that upon logging back in that something in the game had changed, i.e., incidents 'magically appearing all over my city screen,' and so on. I don't know the 'computer lingo' to explain it but when the RAM is cleared (or whatever it's actually called), things do change. It's really not that big a leap of logic for someone who knows how to use a computer but doesn't know the fine-tuned mechanics of how they work.

(I mention the logging in/out because there have been times when I didn't log out and saw the same damaged units hours later or no incidents but if I logged out/in, the incidents were populated and the units were all undamaged. There are tons of examples of the buffer being 'purged' in this game and other things I do on the computer so honestly, it is not at all surprising that the things I'd been told coupled with my experience of purging a buffer would lend itself towards supporting the notion that the units weren't actually healing).
My father was fond of saying "it is a poor craftsman that blames his tools". You are blaming your teachers, the computer, whatever, anything except taking ownership of this gaffe. With the exception of Rogues, Champions, Color Guards, and Drummers, all units beyond Iron Age fully heal in 24 to 216 minutes of being damaged. The length of time depending on the amount of damage. This means, if you left the battleground (log off or not doesn't matter) and came back two hours later, all of your army (with the possible exception of the units I mentioned earlier) would be at full strength.

You asked "how would you know? Your army management screen only shows 20 of each type of unit". Well, this statement is not entirely accurate. The army management screen shows 20 of each type of unit depending on health. In other words, if you have 200 Cannons and they are all at full strength the screen will only display the first 20. However, if your 200 Cannons include 20 with one chit of damage, 20 with 2 chits, etc. The management screen will show up to 20 undamaged units, up to 20 with 1 chit, up to 20 with 2 chits, etc., all the way to 20 with 9 chits.

Certainly, in the years that you have been playing, someone has mentioned "swapping out units". If unattached units did not heal there would be no point to swapping them out. Just let them get killed off and then replace with fresh units.

Johnny B. Goode

With the exception of Rogues, Champions, Color Guards, and Drummers, all units beyond Iron Age fully heal in 24 to 216 minutes of being damaged. The length of time depending on the amount of damage. This means, if you left the battleground (log off or not doesn't matter) and came back two hours later, all of your army (with the possible exception of the units I mentioned earlier) would be at full strength.
Well, technically it would take 3 hours and 36 minutes (216/60) for the longest healing time. :)
You asked "how would you know? Your army management screen only shows 20 of each type of unit". Well, this statement is not entirely accurate. The army management screen shows 20 of each type of unit depending on health. In other words, if you have 200 Cannons and they are all at full strength the screen will only display the first 20. However, if your 200 Cannons include 20 with one chit of damage, 20 with 2 chits, etc. The management screen will show up to 20 undamaged units, up to 20 with 1 chit, up to 20 with 2 chits, etc., all the way to 20 with 9 chits.
See, now I've learned something. :D

Mor-Rioghain

My father was fond of saying "it is a poor craftsman that blames his tools". You are blaming your teachers, the computer, whatever, anything except taking ownership of this gaffe. With the exception of Rogues, Champions, Color Guards, and Drummers, all units beyond Iron Age fully heal in 24 to 216 minutes of being damaged. The length of time depending on the amount of damage. This means, if you left the battleground (log off or not doesn't matter) and came back two hours later, all of your army (with the possible exception of the units I mentioned earlier) would be at full strength.

Certainly, in the years that you have been playing, someone has mentioned "swapping out units". If unattached units did not heal there would be no point to swapping them out. Just let them get killed off and then replace with fresh units.
No, not blame -- incredulity that so many players could be unaware of this. Nothing more, nothing less. Not sure why people want to read more into what I write than what is right there. If anything, I feel awful that I've told anyone -- in-game or the brief comments I made earlier that mislead yet another player.

Mor-Rioghain

The army management screen shows 20 of each type of unit depending on health. In other words, if you have 200 Cannons and they are all at full strength the screen will only display the first 20. However, if your 200 Cannons include 20 with one chit of damage, 20 with 2 chits, etc. The management screen will show up to 20 undamaged units, up to 20 with 1 chit, up to 20 with 2 chits, etc., all the way to 20 with 9 chits.

This is the absolute first time that any one single player of this game has ever explained that the 20 shown units are of each "type" of unit. (20 whole, 20 1-damage, etc., etc.) The first time. Now that I see the explanation, it demystifies a lot of what I've seen but not ever understood before about the whole/damaged units and how they are displayed on my army management screen.

I emphasize: the absolute first time.

When you couple what I've seen with what I've been told by umpteen players, it's no surprise at all that I've misunderstood what is actually 'real.' Gobsmacked. Absolutely gobsmacked.

How many other players do not understand such a simple mechanic?? It boggles my mind.

No, it's not clear from the text in the army management screen. Coupled with the images that are created (the tics), it's even less clear. Sorry, but it's not the first time -- and I daresay it won't be the last -- that we have to play Riddlemeister with the folks at Inno who seem to be in love with the "mystique" of the English Language. Don't flog me for saying that! After years of such things as quest requirements phrased "have X cultural buildings from your own era" v "build X cultural buildings from your own era," it's no surprise to me at all that we've learned to dissect all game prompts with a similar scalpel. Consequently, we've been trained like the proverbial Pavlov's doggies to take everything .... literally. Have is not build and build is not have. It is perfectly logical to see "Due to performance reasons, not more than 20 copies of an unattached unit are displayed at a time" as meaning there "are 20 copies of X unit." No ifs, ands, or "builds." <grumble, grumble>