• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Arthur Conan Doyle Historical Questline Feedback

DeletedUser26120

I like that idea.
Wasn't there some sort of castle event before, where you fought your way through?

I wasn't here for that but saw it advertised on InnoGames TV when I was a grepolis player.

DeletedUser26154

No provinces to scout. No provinces to gain control over. I have completed the continent map and have nothing new to do. And, because of this, I can't get past quest number 9.

Actually you can progress, scout, etc just fine.
I don't have any real problems with any of these events.
Might be a little rushed at times, or go through more goods than I'd like to.
But that's all part of playing the game.
You want your Lord's Manor?
Play your game.

The good people at Innogames owe me one "Lords Manor"

Since you don't want to work for your's...
Can I have it instead?

8137bed72c02a84846a1fcc2f0ab22e0.png

There's enough time for me to do your quest, too.

DeletedUser26154

At least ardak kumerin makes putting up with all this B.S fun or is that my inner child?

Forums of any kinds need their pundits.
Talk shows, radio, newspaper, internet.
Anywhere there is an exchange of ideas.
You have pundits.

941652b778a796978b19c19ddb01a635.png

The only hang-up with that definition is I'm not an expert on anything regarding FoE.

DeletedUser26120

Looks like they have done even better in next event with the options.

Can scout OR solve 12 GE areas.

Research a technology OR donate 350 goods to guild treasury

Acquire 2 sectors without fighting OR win 7 battles.

Very nice indeed. Still have to conquer a province at the end but it's much, much better.

I like the upcoming prize as well, a 5x4 wishing well/fountain copy that collects every 12h.

http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Historical_Questline:_Shah_Jahan

DeletedUser27797

Despite my having more than one city, I was on the ninth Quest of the historical timeline in a city of mine, and only failed to complete it because I had to wait over eight hours to scout a province!! I literally fell asleep waiting for the province to be scouted, and awoke to find the event over, and all my "hard" work planning ahead for naught. I had gathered all the goods to conquer said province at some loss so I would be prepared. I missed the deadline by four minutes!! Talk about aggravating.

I like the fact that some quests have an alternative to researching a tech; now if only the same were true with scouting provinces. My scouting and acquiring provinces is now so far ahead of my current tech level, attacking and conquering them is no longer an option. Making negotiation the only option, and the 2:1 limitations in the Market make it an incredible hassle to acquire the necessary goods. Which also leads to the bad idea of being able to only trade with people in your neighborhood who are all at the same level. Therefore no one having the necessary goods. I understand peoples' concerns with being constantly plundered by people in the Artic Future, when they are in the EMA, etc.; but surely a better solution is in order. Such as only being able to attack people in your age, or one age up and one age down from your current one. In this way still making it possible to be plundered if our defenses are not "up to snuff", and also making it challenging if you want to attack those more powerful than you. But making it possible for people from many different ages to share the same neighborhood. This could let newer players marvel and familiarize themselves with some of the building and features of future eras as well. Getting rid of the 2:1 restriction on trades...which only seems to have resulted in more unfair trades being placed in the Market--i.e. 2:1 HMA for IA goods and the like...would allow players to trade at 4:1 for goods that cross two ages. Such as having IA goods and needing HMA ones to open a level of GE, and having no players producing those goods around to donate.

I like the game overall... but...

FOE is a game of too much waiting! I think many of the times...if not all...should take about half as long as they do; and too many events, one leading right into another, take away from the actual game. Did we not just get done with the Mayday event? Adding "seasonal" events each year, sooner or later, the entire calendar is going to be jam-packed with "Special Events". In essence, not making them special at all.

I started playing around the Halloween Event, and then really enjoyed the Christmas Event. But if they are happening every year, I wonder how long I will enjoy them. Perhaps "Special Events" or timelines need not be annual events? Instead making them bi-annual events?

ALSO of lesser or more "petty" concern...

We are not in Germany! What is it with all these events, and GE, ending at 3 or 5 AM!!?? How about midnight...and midnight for the actual time zone you live in? Events usually start on East Coast time for an event. So while it may start at 7AM in New York, it winds up being 5AM Mountain Time. Meaning those living further West have already lost time if they began playing at a reasonable time in the morning. But then time drives this game too much anyway.

What winds up happening is you actually wind up with less reasonable playing times for players living further West. I don' want to have to stay up to 3 AM to complete an event, because I missed out on the first three to five hours when the event started. I am sure many players...or the two that actually see this post and take the time to reasonably respond to it rather than posting a "clever" meme...will think this is ridiculous given the events are posted well ahead of time, allowing you to prepare for them. But when much of the quest is about conquering/negotiating for sectors and scouting....it is a little hard to know how to prepare. Imagine if instead of requiring provinces be taken through negotiation, they instead had to be taken by conquest? How many players could do this, since many of us are far ahead of our age as far as scouting?

Not sure what the solution is here; but perhaps a few more "optional" provinces that could be conquered to fulfill quests and the like...but did not prevent you from skipping over them and moving on to the next age if you were ready to progress; are in order. But I am now nearly done negotiating LMA provinces, and am still in the EMA!! I would have my ass handed to me trying to conquer a province. The sole reason I am so far ahead is due to timeline and event requests that I scout and conquer provinces. Eventually this is going to have the same effect as researching does...I won't even be close to having the goods to negotiate either, because I will be so far behind in age, it will be nearly impossible to acquire the goods necessary to negotiate. In essence, I will eventually just end up skipping the events altogether.

It was satisfying at first to challenge my troops/army in combat trying to take provinces that were higher in age than its current level. But once reaching ages two higher than the one I am in, it becomes nearly impossible. Even with an 8th level Zeus, and a Tavern boost.

I think the solution to this problem is three-fold.
1. Reduce the time it takes to scout provinces
2. Add extra "treasure" provinces...or even maybe make it possible to conquer three provinces and produce a third good from your age beyond the usual two...that would you could skip over if you wanted to progress to the next age. This might mean placing two "scouts" on the personal continent map.
3. Either don't require so much scouting and conquering in events, OR just like research, add an alternative option to complete these Quests.

I personally think all the Quests are much more interesting if there are several ways to solve a Quest. This way, not every player has to take the same path to victory or success. What if...and this isn't a groundbreaking idea, I am sure someone has mentioned it before...but a Quests had three ways to complete it? Spend "x" amount of FPs, Coins or Supplies; Conquer a Province; OR complete a research. If FOE was a role-playing game, the players would feel constantly railroaded into following the plot. Create more options!!

And before this post gets too long...which is probably already is...
This goes for combat too!! Eventually troops move so far, the size of the battle field is meaningless. Certain troops should not be able to move over certain terrain, making combat more strategic; and perhaps no unit should be allowed to move "through" another unit, friend or foe, without first confronting it, or having it move out of the way. This would require more planning and strategy overall. I like using my Heavy Troops to protect artillery. But this means they must stay adjacent to the hex occupied by the artillery, and therefore they are unable to advance into battle. I do this to prevent Cavalry from overrunning Artillery, and it usually works pretty well in most circumstances. But it would be even better if I could form a defensive "wall" of Heavy/Defensive troops, that didn't have to remain directly adjacent to the Artillery! Blocking Cavalry from advancing upon it without first confronting the troops blocking the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Mole

Despite my having more than one city, I was on the ninth Quest of the historical timeline in a city of mine, and only failed to complete it because I had to wait over eight hours to scout a province!! I literally fell asleep waiting for the province to be scouted, and awoke to find the event over, and all my "hard" work planning ahead for naught. I had gathered all the goods to conquer said province at some loss so I would be prepared. I missed the deadline by four minutes!! Talk about aggravating.

ALSO...we are not in Germany. What is it with all these events, and GE, ending at 3 or 5 AM!!?? How about midnight...and midnight for the actual time zone you live in? Events usually start on East Coast time for an event. So while it may start at 7AM in New York, it winds up being 5AM Mountain Time. Meaning those living further West have already lost time if they began playing at a reasonable time in the morning. But then time drives this game too much anyway.

FOE is a game of too much waiting! I think many of the times...if not all...should take about half as long as they do. Too many events, one leading right into another, take away from the actual game. Did we not just get done with the Mayday event? Adding "seasonal" events each year, sooner or later, the entire calendar is going to be jam-packed with "Special Events". In essence, not making them special at all.

I started playing around the Halloween Event, and really enjoyed the Christmas Event. But if they are happening every year, I wonder how long I will enjoy them. Perhaps "Special Events" or timelines need not be annual events?
If you know the quest order in advance, plan when to go scouting. If it's going to take days then do it days in advance and DON'T open the map until that quest comes up. And hey presto! Job's a good 'un.

DeletedUser25166

I like the fact that some quests have an alternative to researching a tech; now if only the same were true with scouting provinces. My scouting and acquiring provinces is now so far ahead of my current tech level, attacking and conquering them is no longer an option. Making negotiation the only option, and the 2:1 limitations in the Market make it an incredible hassle to acquire the necessary goods. Which also leads to the bad idea of being able to only trade with people in your neighborhood who are all at the same level. Therefore no one having the necessary goods. I understand peoples' concerns with being constantly plundered by people in the Artic Future, when they are in the EMA, etc.; but surely a better solution is in order. Such as only being able to attack people in your age, or one age up and one age down from your current one. In this way still making it possible to be plundered if our defenses are not "up to snuff", and also making it challenging if you want to attack those more powerful than you. But making it possible for people from many different ages to share the same neighborhood. This could let newer players marvel and familiarize themselves with some of the building and features of future eras as well. Getting rid of the 2:1 restriction on trades...which only seems to have resulted in more unfair trades being placed in the Market--i.e. 2:1 HMA for IA goods and the like...would allow players to trade at 4:1 for goods that cross two ages. Such as having IA goods and needing HMA ones to open a level of GE, and having no players producing those goods around to donate.

FOE is a game of too much waiting! I think many of the times...if not all...should take about half as long as they do; and too many events, one leading right into another, take away from the actual game. Did we not just get done with the Mayday event? Adding "seasonal" events each year, sooner or later, the entire calendar is going to be jam-packed with "Special Events". In essence, not making them special at all.

I started playing around the Halloween Event, and then really enjoyed the Christmas Event. But if they are happening every year, I wonder how long I will enjoy them. Perhaps "Special Events" or timelines need not be annual events? Instead making them bi-annual events?

We are not in Germany! What is it with all these events, and GE, ending at 3 or 5 AM!!?? How about midnight...and midnight for the actual time zone you live in? Events usually start on East Coast time for an event. So while it may start at 7AM in New York, it winds up being 5AM Mountain Time. Meaning those living further West have already lost time if they began playing at a reasonable time in the morning. But then time drives this game too much anyway.

What winds up happening is you actually wind up with less reasonable playing times for players living further West. I don' want to have to stay up to 3 AM to complete an event, because I missed out on the first three to five hours when the event started. I am sure many players...or the two that actually see this post and take the time to reasonably respond to it rather than posting a "clever" meme...will think this is ridiculous given the events are posted well ahead of time, allowing you to prepare for them. But when much of the quest is about conquering/negotiating for sectors and scouting....it is a little hard to know how to prepare. Imagine if instead of requiring provinces be taken through negotiation, they instead had to be taken by conquest? How many players could do this, since many of us are far ahead of our age as far as scouting?

Not sure what the solution is here; but perhaps a few more "optional" provinces that could be conquered to fulfill quests and the like...but did not prevent you from skipping over them and moving on to the next age if you were ready to progress; are in order. But I am now nearly done negotiating LMA provinces, and am still in the EMA!! I would have my ass handed to me trying to conquer a province. The sole reason I am so far ahead is due to timeline and event requests that I scout and conquer provinces. Eventually this is going to have the same effect as researching does...I won't even be close to having the goods to negotiate either, because I will be so far behind in age, it will be nearly impossible to acquire the goods necessary to negotiate. In essence, I will eventually just end up skipping the events altogether.

It was satisfying at first to challenge my troops/army in combat trying to take provinces that were higher in age than its current level. But once reaching ages two higher than the one I am in, it becomes nearly impossible. Even with an 8th level Zeus, and a Tavern boost.

2. Add extra "treasure" provinces...or even maybe make it possible to conquer three provinces and produce a third good from your age beyond the usual two...that would you could skip over if you wanted to progress to the next age. This might mean placing two "scouts" on the personal continent map.
3. Either don't require so much scouting and conquering in events, OR just like research, add an alternative option to complete these Quests.

I personally think all the Quests are much more interesting if there are several ways to solve a Quest. This way, not every player has to take the same path to victory or success. What if...and this isn't a groundbreaking idea, I am sure someone has mentioned it before...but a Quests had three ways to complete it? Spend "x" amount of FPs, Coins or Supplies; Conquer a Province; OR complete a research. If FOE was a role-playing game, the players would feel constantly railroaded into following the plot. Create more options!!

This goes for combat too!! Eventually troops move so far, the size of the battle field is meaningless. Certain troops should not be able to move over certain terrain, making combat more strategic; and perhaps no unit should be allowed to move "through" another unit, friend or foe, without first confronting it, or having it move out of the way. This would require more planning and strategy overall. I like using my Heavy Troops to protect artillery. But this means they must stay adjacent to the hex occupied by the artillery, and therefore they are unable to advance into battle. I do this to prevent Cavalry from overrunning Artillery, and it usually works pretty well in most circumstances. But it would be even better if I could form a defensive "wall" of Heavy/Defensive troops, that didn't have to remain directly adjacent to the Artillery! Blocking Cavalry from advancing upon it without first confronting the troops blocking the way.
Take a deep breath, next event starts in 12 days. Wheeeeee

DeletedUser25166

If you know the quest order in advance, plan when to go scouting. If it's going to take days then do it days in advance and DON'T open the map until that quest comes up. And hey presto! Job's a good 'un.
Wrong, you had to acquire 2 sectors first, then scout

DeletedUser26120

Yeah that was a real bad design, putting sectors before scout.

Even though they gave us alternative options in the next event I was happy to see that scout is now first in order. I have one ready. :)

Darth Mole

So as soon as you've acquired the 2 sectors you send off a scout (or finish off the province in order to reveal another to scout) and then don't go back to the map until that quest comes up.

DeletedUser27797

Exactly. In my case I had ONE sector left in the province. So I negotiated for it, then had to scout to obtain the second, and then conquer the next province before I could even scout for the quest that required it! It also meant I had to obtain all the goods to negotiate or conquer every sector but one in the province. As I had obviously negotiated the first one for the quest previous to the conquering quest. Securing the goods took a day or two...my neighborhood currently seems to be a dessert Market wise...and after conquering the province I set my scout ahead. But I did not know the goods I needed to conquer the next sector, and I would have had to conquer the entire province to fulfill the quest. As it turned out, I ran out of time before the scouting finished, or I had acquired the goods.

But the whole scouting ahead seems to go against the grain of INNO's new credo of making people research, thereby advancing to the next age before being ready. The same is now true for me on my continent map. Even in my most advanced city, with a Level 8 Zeus, I am unable to surpass the hardest sectors of a province through combat...and I ENJOYED the combat over negotiation. Even with several other attacker boosts in my city, AND a Tavern boost, I was unable to overcome the hardest province. I am afterall fighting two ages above my current troop level!! EMA to LMA. I can only imagine what things are going to be like upon entering the Colonial part of the map, and gun powder is present!!

I truly hope what I am hearing is true...that I am able to complete the next quest WITHOUT having to complete research, and scout or conquer sectors and provinces. Among the several ways to play FOE, I definitely fall into the category of those players who like to create a "bucket list" of things they would like to achieve before moving onto the next age.

For me this means several things.
Land and space wise it is adding at least two new expansions through acquiring Medals, buying the two Diamond expansions allotted for the age, and of course the expansions earned through the Tech Tree.

Goods wise it is contributing 500 of each current good to the guild coffers...I have most often started my own guilds even as a new player, and seem to be fairly good at it, as many of my guilds are now above Level 5, and I have not been playing 8 months even...and being the founder feel it is important to make sure my guild always has the resources it needs! I then build up about have that amount before leveling to the next age, and producing the next ages goods...trading down if I need the previous ages goods for GBs and the like.

Goods and Coins wise, I try and build my coins and supplies by 150%...or 1.5 times what I have for people who don't like thinking in percentages.

I make sure all of my buildings, roads, residences, and military are updated before continuing onto the next level. I also have a point total in mind like I would like to surpass, and save up or spend enough FPs to complete the first research rung on the Tech Tree in the new age, possibly even having enough to finish one item on the second row, and have a good start on the next!

I am sure I am probably missing a point or two now about my goals; but I do all these things so that when I enter the next age, I am not having my a$$ handed to me on a daily basis! Being plundered at any age isn't fun!! Plus I like to feel I can compete and contribute to both my neighborhood and guild!!

DeletedUser26154

He has a point.