• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Assisting another account from my IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser36616

My son joined this game last week and I joined as well, he asked me to. Yes it's enjoyable to play, but my main goal was to provide him some assistance. Now that I've reached a level where I can work with other players I find that I can not provide forge points to his great building because we have the same IP. This makes lots of sense and I should have predicted there would be something of the sort in order to make it more difficult for folks to make dummy accounts just to feed forge points to themselves.

What are some other ways, if there are any, for me to provide some assistance to my son?

DeletedUser

You should contact support and explain the situation. It's possible they'll lift the restriction, but you'll need to actually play the game and not just log on to give him Forge Points. If that's all you do, they will consider yours a "push" account and he might get banned.

centaurgod

The problem you describes occurs a lot more than you might think. Take for a example a college/university campus/dorm with a shared internet connection. The school has one public IP address and hundreds if not thousands of internal IP numbers for students and staff. INNO (as well as other game companies) sees them all using the same public IP. Say you live in a townhouse/condo type complex and the landlord provides internet as part of the rental package. Again, each tenant has a different internal IP, but all have the same public IP. Same goes for access from public libraries and such. It's hard to fault them for trying to curtail certain types of cheating, but using IP is in my opinion not very well though out. I've developed various methods to safeguard software that I have written, but web-based games are much harder to deal with.

DeletedUser31592

The problem you describes occurs a lot more than you might think. Take for a example a college/university campus/dorm with a shared internet connection. The school has one public IP address and hundreds if not thousands of internal IP numbers for students and staff. INNO (as well as other game companies) sees them all using the same public IP. Say you live in a townhouse/condo type complex and the landlord provides internet as part of the rental package. Again, each tenant has a different internal IP, but all have the same public IP. Same goes for access from public libraries and such. It's hard to fault them for trying to curtail certain types of cheating, but using IP is in my opinion not very well though out. I've developed various methods to safeguard software that I have written, but web-based games are much harder to deal with.

In most of your examples, the likelihood of two players interacting in the same world is pretty slim. It is doubtful I am going to run into someone at the library who not only plays in the same world as I do, but is a friend, guildmate, or neighbor.

centaurgod

In most of your examples, the likelihood of two players interacting in the same world is pretty slim. It is doubtful I am going to run into someone at the library who not only plays in the same world as I do, but is a friend, guildmate, or neighbor.
Your correct with place like libraries and some other public access locations, but dorms. frats, schools and such are a more prone to social groups and friends with common interests. i.e. a dorm with a few hundred students could easily have a few dozen friends wanting to play the game together. Even the small cases of two siblings in the same household might want to play together.

centaurgod

Once again several of my friends and guildmates can no longer help one another. ....
Dorms, frats, schools and such are a more prone to social groups and friends with common interests. i.e. a dorm with a few hundred students could easily have a few dozen friends wanting to play the game together. Even the small cases of two siblings in the same household might want to play together.

So why does INNO seem to push for players to join guilds and help one another then turn right around and block them?

DeletedUser8428

Once again several of my friends and guildmates can no longer help one another. ....
Dorms, frats, schools and such are a more prone to social groups and friends with common interests. i.e. a dorm with a few hundred students could easily have a few dozen friends wanting to play the game together. Even the small cases of two siblings in the same household might want to play together.

So why does INNO seem to push for players to join guilds and help one another then turn right around and block them?
Because players in guilds are rarely (if ever) from the same household. The assistance the OP can provide his son is in guiding his progress , not in contributing to his buildings.

Emberguard

The school has one public IP address and hundreds if not thousands of internal IP numbers for students and staff. INNO (as well as other game companies) sees them all using the same public IP. Say you live in a townhouse/condo type complex and the landlord provides internet as part of the rental package. Again, each tenant has a different internal IP, but all have the same public IP. Same goes for access from public libraries and such.

As far as schools go unless the norm is different for your country (I'm not in the us) usually the school would have a rule that says no using school internet to play games.

Public Library should only be a problem if they're only using public library. I've used the public library but mostly use home internet and never had a problem. I don't know how the Inno system displays the info but chances are they'd see different IP addresses if you use different internet sources. So if they can see you've only used this other source as a once off I don't see that being a problem

Townhouse/condo where landlord provides it for everyone - now this simply means you need to contact support and tell them you're using a shared connection so there's a record that says this is why that info says what it says, nothing to see here. That's why when you join a game you need to read the rules so you're aware of these kinds of things. It could probably be in a much more visible location but it's still accessible on desktop from the log in screen (not sure about mobile I barely even touch mobile)

DeletedUser

As I stated when this was originally brought up, the proper course to address this is by having the affected players contact in-game support and open a ticket about it.

centaurgod

As I stated when this was originally brought up, the proper course to address this is by having the affected players contact in-game support and open a ticket about it.
They // We all did and all got pretty much the exact same canned cut&paste response from support saying that they can do nothing about it. This is why I raised the issue here on the forums again. We had no issues for several years of game play, then all of a sudden *bang* dozens of players (many that I have chatted with and know personally) all seem to have been hit at the same time. Just seems odd for so many to be hit all at the same time. Thought maybe INNO slipped in some new code recently that went wacky. Just my $0.02

DeletedUser

They // We all did and all got pretty much the exact same canned cut&paste response from support saying that they can do nothing about it. This is why I raised the issue here on the forums again. We had no issues for several years of game play, then all of a sudden *bang* dozens of players (many that I have chatted with and know personally) all seem to have been hit at the same time. Just seems odd for so many to be hit all at the same time. Thought maybe INNO slipped in some new code recently that went wacky. Just my $0.02
Unfortunately, neither the moderators here nor the players here can do anything about this issue. Only in-game support can address it. Given that this is true, I will close this thread, but leave it visible for informational purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.