• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Forwarded Auto-Scroll vs. Manual Scroll (take II)

Do you like this idea?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldAdam12

(I'm not sure why the original proposal of this was completely removed, but I was told to persevere so...)

Idea:
Provide a way for users to toggle whether the thread they're reading should auto-scrolled [default] or not.​
This would be a "non-sticky" user-specific / thread-specific setting; always default to auto-scroll whenever any thread is opened (existing behavior)​

Related threads:
Reason:
Right now all threads are auto-scrolled to the bottom (newest message) whenever someone posts something and/or whenever you take a given trade offer.​
While there are times when auto-scrolling makes sense / is desirable (like in a 1.9 thread where the latest information is very important), there are other times when auto-scrolling is (to put it mildly) annoying.​
Examples:
  • I scroll up to read something that someone posted previously, maybe catching up with stuff that happened since the last time I logged in; somebody posts something new in the thread - all of a sudden I'm taken back to the bottom and have to try to scroll back up to find what I was reading. This is made worse if it is a fairly active thread where your manual scrolling is constantly overridden by auto-scrolling, or
  • I scroll up to take some trade offers that someone posted - even if I'm just scrolling up 5 or 6 lines - as soon as I take the trade, the view scrolls to the bottom and I have to scroll back up again to take another trade from the same area (it could be N different trades that were posted together or a single posting of N trades of a given item pair where you want to take more than one of them)

Details:
I think having either a checkbox, radio-button, or additional menu item in the upper-left drop-down menu, to indicate whether you want auto-scroll enabled or disabled - within the thread view interface would be a significant improvement.​
The default would be auto-scroll (existing behavior). The option to manually scroll would be "non-sticky" so that someone would have to take deliberate action to miss seeing new posts.​

Visual Aids:
A mock-up of one of several possible UI modifications to support this idea (the underlying code would have to be modified to respect this setting).​
MC_Thread_ManualScroll.png

Balance / Abuse Prevention:
I do not envision any [negative] impact on any aspect of the game with the implementation of this change.​
It would require some modification to the Message Center UI​
I do not believe this enables any abusive behavior and as such no such behavior would need to be addressed.​

Vger

Love this idea, could be used for mobile and pc, im all for it! COuld this be used for private messages aswell?
Love it too. SO many times when I've scrolled back in a thread and start reading and then...BOOM... right back at the bottom and need to scroll up again.
I would assume this suggestion would apply to any and all threads.

Only negative for me is the lipstick on a pig thing. The entire messaging system needs a major melt and repour, and I'm sure INNO knows that.

DreadfulCadillac1

Love it too. SO many times when I've scrolled back in a thread and start reading and then...BOOM... right back at the bottom and need to scroll up again.
I would assume this suggestion would apply to any and all threads.

Only negative for me is the lipstick on a pig thing. The entire messaging system needs a major melt and repour, and I'm sure INNO knows that.
escpeccialy in the busy guild main message thread(some guilds use it as chat, others as announcements) its a PAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.