• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Automatic Account Deletion Feedback

DeletedUser30665

I like the idea of returning FP's invested into GB's of non-active players (players that are going to be deleted in the next few moments) just prior to the initial dump of non-active players. Beyond that one-time reimbursement, I would hope that Inno tells Guildies, Friends, etc., that "these players" will be dumped at midnight on "this day". If I had a very large investment in a player's GB and that player was on the naughty list, I would level it myself.

DeletedUser35606

question? I would like to know if once the account is deleted, does the GB you're donating to get removed from the list of the GB's you're donating too.. I like to now and then go thru and throw on fps to the ones who are no longer friends/guildies/neighbors to get them off my list so it is not so long... I'm sry if I sound not very smart abt this..

Agent327

Seems like an in addition to sort of thing to me, I can't imagine them keeping accounts that are only active a day around for a year to get deleted and I would imagine if they're still letting people with diamonds on their account stay they would mention that. But yeah, not that it would effect me but it would be nice to have a bit more specifics. Will be nice to have a purge of all inactives though.

Probably is, but it should be mentioned.

DeletedUser35607

Again - the described deletion process will only commence in a few weeks from now (no automatic deletions will take place before July 11th). We will inform you once again when we are nearing its activation.

If you have any questions, please let us know either via support ticket or right here.

Thank you,
The Forge of Empires Team
I have been having a problem with my account and been getting nothing that helps. i think this is why. my old account is not reconized on my laptop but i can access it on my mobile. i put almost 2 years into that game and am upset bout the whole thing. what can be done about my account

DeletedUser31882

I'm curious to know if the same people who ask and make proposal after proposal about getting FPs back ask the same thing with other donations they make? "if your charity goes bankrupt will I get my donation back?" "If the candidate loses the election, can I get my donation back?" "if I leave and join another church, can I get my donations back?" Sounds kind of silly, don't you think?

It does sound silly, but I also don't find the used analogies entirely equivalent when it comes to the GB contribution race.

Donation usually means an item given to another party without any string attached or return expected.

Contribution, on the other hand, is 'a gift or payment to a common fund or collection'.

Gift falls into donation, so I understand that spin-off interpretation, but it ignores the rest of the context. We can just as easily point to contributing to a GB as a investment. The objective of the investment can vary by player. I can contribute FPs to a guildie's GB with the expectation that the next person in the swap will donate to mine, thus continuing a chain 'donation' that potentially brings in profit from frugal & timely contributions.

When I snipe a reward spot, I don't think of it as a donation, but a payment to lock in profit on the conclusion of the contribution race.

This is why I find the 'donation' argument angle as disingenuous. Very rarely is somebody contributing to a GB without an expectation of payback.

If a charity/church goes bankrupt, due to mishandling the money/corruption, would we feel that money should be returned to the people who were cheated?

If it is revealed that the candidate purposely lost the election so they could pocket campaign donations, is there a case for a damages lawsuit?

Should the money for participating in a poker tournament be refundable if unforeseen circumstances force the people running the tournament to cancel it with no determined winner?

Hopefully, I've illustrated why the context of a situation matters. Your questions are presume fair play or 'a service was received for the investment'. If a Charity provided the advertised service before bankruptcy, then the donation was used appropriately. If the candidate earnestly ran for the elected position, the donation served it's purpose to assist them in running. The important assumption is the money was spent for the expected & appropriate purpose it was elicited for in the first place. That's where the context of GB donation becomes important, what is the expected & appropriate purpose of the contribution?

To build or level the GB. A deleted GB, regardless of reason, did not fulfill that purpose. Thus the contribution/donation/gift did not fulfill it's purpose.

We can deflect from that with other rationalizations and/or justify the lose by acknowledging the context of current rules and regulations, but the spade is still a spade. Those FPs did not serve their entire purpose. That leaves ground for valid arguments of recompense.

Differing opinions on that make for fun arguments and discussions on differing points of view(some with undertones of real life economics/politics being applied to a game). Thankfully, since this is only a game, recompense is only a matter of the devs investing the resources into it. I'm sure some higher level Arc players have more incentive than I to pursue the recompense angle.

Regardless, as long as Inno deletes those 'dead GBs' from my contribution list, I'll be happy. I wouldn't mind getting the 1FP tracker back either, mais C'est le vie.

~Special Thanks to @Salsuero for the poker tournament analogy & creating one of the first proposals I had fun sparring in.
~To everyone else in that thread that made the sparring possible.
~RazorbackPirate for taunting me into a screed
~Inno for wasting my time in game and out of game
~Almond Milk
~Spay and Neuter your Cats.
~/end loop
~ERROR 42: CO

Agent327

I like the idea of returning FP's invested into GB's of non-active players (players that are going to be deleted in the next few moments) just prior to the initial dump of non-active players. Beyond that one-time reimbursement, I would hope that Inno tells Guildies, Friends, etc., that "these players" will be dumped at midnight on "this day". If I had a very large investment in a player's GB and that player was on the naughty list, I would level it myself.

Returning fp's has nothing to do with this. Why should Inno tell you if a player will be dumped? If after 12 months you still haven't figured out a player isn't playing anymore it is your own problem.

DeletedUser35607

i have been trying to find out why my original account is no longer recognized on my laptop but can still access it on my mobile. ive tried to contact support numerous times and got nothing to help. i put almost 2 years into that account and its been gone since the 11th. had to start new account to inform guild members and help keep my spot. i have spent money and time and am not happy at all. what can be done?

Agent327

I have been having a problem with my account and been getting nothing that helps. i think this is why. my old account is not reconized on my laptop but i can access it on my mobile. i put almost 2 years into that game and am upset bout the whole thing. what can be done about my account

Contact Support. Your problem has nothing to do with this.

DeletedUser35607

Again - the described deletion process will only commence in a few weeks from now (no automatic deletions will take place before July 11th). We will inform you once again when we are nearing its activation.

If you have any questions, please let us know either via support ticket or right here.

Thank you,
ok i did and did you get it?

DeletedUser4441

I'm a little concerned with the eagerness to do away with inactive accounts. Many games people take a year+ break from and then come back to... if there's something to come back to. Given that an inactive account is just some lines in an indexed database and shouldn't be taking up any important resources it seems a little silly that they're so actively pursuing this.

Unfortunately this is not being done for server space, etc. The New GDPR regulations have stringent rules on the storage of personal data including for how long.

So basically we are going to have to post in the forums to keep our accounts from being deleted even if we are active in the game?

The way I understand it (and if I find out I am incorrect I will post it in here) is that if your game and forum names match and you remain active in the game your forum account will not be removed.

upperdublin

How long have they been gone? When do you expect them to return? How many months are are there in between these two dates? Is the number of months greater than 12? If yes, they will be deleted. If no, they will not.

If they become scheduled for deletion, per the announcement:
  • You (they) will be notified on the forum (private message) and via email when your (their) account is about to be deleted. Please make sure your email address is valid.
So, I guess it will be up to them to respond to the email, or not.

I am aware of Inno's protection of player's personal information, such as Email & Passwords; however I would ask that Inno consider providing the guild "Founder" or some member of a guild's Administration, with ONLY Email addresses for each of that guild's members. Without passwords, of course, a member's city could NOT be opened so safeguard remains in place. But for guilds which have a member(s) out relatively long-term (for medical reasons, e.g.), this would afford that member's guild to at least give that member a "heads-up" that this action will commence on or around July 11th, a not-so-reasonably long time from now. Allow the Guild to attempt to contact a member via their Email address already on file with Inno and if no response is forthcoming, then the guild can expect that member to be removed by Inno.

DeletedUser29241

Thank you,
Wondering about the FPs we put into great buildings if we will get the FP's back when they are deleted? It is a good plan to do, but I already feel cheated in the game on my time, so hopefully this will not add to my frustration?

Graviton

I am aware of Inno's protection of player's personal information, such as Email & Passwords; however I would ask that Inno consider providing the guild "Founder" or some member of a guild's Administration, with ONLY Email addresses for each of that guild's members.

Wow, no. I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for Inno to give my email address to another player. At least one would hope it is. It's a bad idea regardless.

Graviton

When I snipe a reward spot, I don't think of it as a donation, but a payment to lock in profit on the conclusion of the contribution race.

To build or level the GB. A deleted GB, regardless of reason, did not fulfill that purpose. Thus the contribution/donation/gift did not fulfill it's purpose...Those FPs did not serve their entire purpose. That leaves ground for valid arguments of recompense.

Neither did the FPs I put onto a GB when my reward position was later usurped by a sniper. Should I get my FPs back since they didn't fulfill the intended purpose?

If you don't literally lock in a reward spot, any and all FPs placed on a GB are a roll of the dice. You're not gifting, you're not donating, you're not even investing...you're gambling.

DeletedUser35475

Neither did the FPs I put onto a GB when my reward position was later usurped by a sniper. Should I get my FPs back since they didn't fulfill the intended purpose?

If you don't literally lock in a reward spot, any and all FPs placed on a GB are a roll of the dice. You're not gifting, you're not donating, you're not even investing...you're gambling.

Yes once you donate them they are no longer yours.

Agent327

I am aware of Inno's protection of player's personal information, such as Email & Passwords; however I would ask that Inno consider providing the guild "Founder" or some member of a guild's Administration, with ONLY Email addresses for each of that guild's members. Without passwords, of course, a member's city could NOT be opened so safeguard remains in place. But for guilds which have a member(s) out relatively long-term (for medical reasons, e.g.), this would afford that member's guild to at least give that member a "heads-up" that this action will commence on or around July 11th, a not-so-reasonably long time from now. Allow the Guild to attempt to contact a member via their Email address already on file with Inno and if no response is forthcoming, then the guild can expect that member to be removed by Inno.

You got to be joking. Any idea what spam is and how it originates? My email is private. If they give it to anyone they break the law!

If you want to warn your members, ask for their email yourself!

RazorbackPirate

It does sound silly, but I also don't find the used analogies entirely equivalent when it comes to the GB contribution race.

Donation usually means an item given to another party without any string attached or return expected.

Contribution, on the other hand, is 'a gift or payment to a common fund or collection'.

Gift falls into donation, so I understand that spin-off interpretation, but it ignores the rest of the context. We can just as easily point to contributing to a GB as a investment. The objective of the investment can vary by player. I can contribute FPs to a guildie's GB with the expectation that the next person in the swap will donate to mine, thus continuing a chain 'donation' that potentially brings in profit from frugal & timely contributions.

This is why I find the 'donation' argument angle as disingenuous. Very rarely is somebody contributing to a GB without an expectation of payback.

If a charity/church goes bankrupt, due to mishandling the money/corruption, would we feel that money should be returned to the people who were cheated?

If it is revealed that the candidate purposely lost the election so they could pocket campaign donations, is there a case for a damages lawsuit?

Should the money for participating in a poker tournament be refundable if unforeseen circumstances force the people running the tournament to cancel it with no determined winner?

Hopefully, I've illustrated why the context of a situation matters. Your questions are presume fair play or 'a service was received for the investment'. If a Charity provided the advertised service before bankruptcy, then the donation was used appropriately. If the candidate earnestly ran for the elected position, the donation served it's purpose to assist them in running. The important assumption is the money was spent for the expected & appropriate purpose it was elicited for in the first place. That's where the context of GB donation becomes important, what is the expected & appropriate purpose of the contribution?

To build or level the GB. A deleted GB, regardless of reason, did not fulfill that purpose. Thus the contribution/donation/gift did not fulfill it's purpose.

We can deflect from that with other rationalizations and/or justify the lose by acknowledging the context of current rules and regulations, but the spade is still a spade. Those FPs did not serve their entire purpose. That leaves ground for valid arguments of recompense.

Differing opinions on that make for fun arguments and discussions on differing points of view(some with undertones of real life economics/politics being applied to a game). Thankfully, since this is only a game, recompense is only a matter of the devs investing the resources into it. I'm sure some higher level Arc players have more incentive than I to pursue the recompense angle.

Regardless, as long as Inno deletes those 'dead GBs' from my contribution list, I'll be happy. I wouldn't mind getting the 1FP tracker back either, mais C'est le vie.

~Special Thanks to @Salsuero for the poker tournament analogy & creating one of the first proposals I had fun sparring in.
~To everyone else in that thread that made the sparring possible.
~RazorbackPirate for taunting me into a screed
~Inno for wasting my time in game and out of game
~Almond Milk
~Spay and Neuter your Cats.
~/end loop
~ERROR 42: CO

You definitely made an eloquent argument and I would be inclined to agree, if we were contributing to a GB. But we're not. We're donating. This is from the official FoE Wiki, not the fan site, the one run and maintained by Inno, linked at the top of the home page.

Donation Rewards
You may only donate to other players once you have researched "Architecture" in the tech tree. If you help other players construct or upgrade their great buildings, you may receive some useful rewards. By the time the current level is finished, mainly the five most generous donors will receive the following, depending on the level and age of the building:
  • Medals
  • Forge Points
  • Blueprints
So maybe that's the crux of the issue. The prevalent use of a street vernacular that's evolved over the years. "I've got a bunch of FP's placed on his Arc." "We've been swapping FPs, contributing to each other's GB." "I've been investing in his Cape so I can get BPs." It's easy to see where the confusion comes in. We've used the slang for so long, we've allowed the definitions of the slang words skew our understanding of what's actually occurring.

And it appears Inno just adds to the confusion when we find this on the GBs themselves:

GB Contributions.png

Or do they? What if, as a German company, having to translate everything, they have a better command and understanding of the English language than we do?

donation
[doh-ney-shuh n]

noun
  1. an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.
  2. a gift, as to a fund; contribution.
contribution
[kon-truh-byoo-shuh n]

noun
  1. the act of contributing.
  2. something contributed.
Synonyms
  1. gift, donation, benefaction
So it seems both terms are correctly applied, but many users don't understand that they mean the same thing.

When you say,

I get what you're saying, when I snipe, or even swap, I think the same thing. I'm putting FPs onto a GB with the expectation of a reward. But if I donate with a wrong motive, or even misunderstanding, does that change the fact that I'm donating?

Let's say I go to a charity raffle, there's a 1 in 100 chance of winning. There's 50 prizes being raffled and just 5,000 tickets being sold. The only reason I even came to the event, is I want some of the prizes being raffled. So I buy 200 tickets expecting to leave with 2 prizes, maybe I'll get lucky and get 3. Turns out for me, the night's a total bust. 50 tickets drawn, they didn't call any of my numbers. I'm probably a little miffed, talking smack like it was an Inno Event Quest. "I think it was rigged, no way that was 1 in 100 chance, blah, blah, blah, and I should get my money back".

Contrast that with the guy in the seat next to me. He bought 200 tickets and hoped to win some prizes, but the entire night he's talking about the charity, the good work they're doing, how the staff and volunteers are so committed, and he's fortunate to be able to donate and support them. His night's a bust too, but he walks out with a smile on his face, talking about what a great event that was and how he's looking forward to next year.

Same event, same donation, same end result, only the motives were different. Should I get a refund because my motive was wrong and it didn't turn out as I expected?

In your examples, two of them had some sort of dirty dealing. A church with corruption, a candidate who throws the election. So yes, sue the pants of them and try to get every penny back. While your at it, throw the bums in jail.

And the poker tournament example, sounds like a for profit event, so the idea of a donation doesn't apply and they should get their money back. If it's a charity event, with a prize to the winner of the tournament, as long as the prize is awarded to someone, even as a random drawing, then no. Is it their fault the venue burned down 36 hours before the event and they couldn't find a replacement?

Great examples, but they don't quite fit for me. A player getting bored with the game and not playing is hardly malfeasance. Even if they left in a fit of anger and deleted their world, it's not. They don't have access to the FPs and can't misappropriate them or divert them for another purpose.

What about the Oracle I deleted from my city a few weeks back? It had over a 100 unsolicited FPs on it, with 200+ more needed to level. I couldn't take that hit so they could get the rewards they expected. And knowing I was deleting it, I certainly couldn't ask for more or run it through the swaps. So I just deleted it. Poor little thing, it just never got the chance to fulfill its intended purpose. I felt kind of bad, but as you say, C'est la Vie

While it would be nice if Inno, using their infinite power, would return the FPs we've donated to unleveled GBs, I don't expect to ever see those contributions again. Inno's use of both those terms, as properly defined are a strong indication that we won't. No matter what our motivations or expectations were.

It's been great having a well reasoned debate and exploring the different positions.

~Special Thanks to
~The constant stream of silly questions that initiated this debate.
~Titris Thrawns for showing up armed.
~Inno for wasting my time in game and out of game.
~Gatorade.
~If you can't feed them, don't breed them.
~quest loops
~HTML5

Last edited:

DeletedUser29726

Unfortunately this is not being done for server space, etc. The New GDPR regulations have stringent rules on the storage of personal data including for how long.

Ew :/ mostly i've liked how the GDPR has been impacting the internet... But not being able to keep an inactive game account alive? I guess i need to read that thing to see why I should resent the EU :p