• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Automatic Account Deletion Feedback

Agent327

Greetings, Sgt. IF this is ONLY an EU requirement (at THIS time) why is it additionally being applied to the US server ? I AM aware of the GDPR reg. and that it is NOT enforceable nor applicable to the US, and I wonder if Inno is being FAR to "proactive" using this as a reason for its new "Auto-Deletion" requirement. Thanks, Sgt. Bothari

That US server is in Germany.

It has nothing to do with inactives. European companies are no longer allowed to keep anyone's records for more than a year. If you do not log in for a year they are forced to delete your records.

DeletedUser26965

European companies are no longer allowed to keep anyone's records for more than a year. If you do not log in for a year they are forced to delete your records.
Where did you get that? From my understanding the law is vague enough to where companies are doing various things to try to get into compliance with the law so every companies reaction will be different to some extent because they all have their own lawyers telling them what to do in order to meet compliance to avoid litigation, fines etc. Inno chose to handle it by deleting inactive accounts and putting into the game settings the Data Usage Tab, I'm also willing to bet they're doing more in house we're unaware of but don't really need to know anyway.

anayways, link to the law: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pri...ction/2018-reform-eu-data-protection-rules_en

Agent327

For the time being there will be no litigation, fines and so on. Most governments fail to meet the requirements.

Last edited:

DeletedUser4441

Greetings, Sgt. IF this is ONLY an EU requirement (at THIS time) why is it additionally being applied to the US server ? I AM aware of the GDPR reg. and that it is NOT enforceable nor applicable to the US, and I wonder if Inno is being FAR to "proactive" using this as a reason for its new "Auto-Deletion" requirement. Thanks, Sgt. Bothari
While I am not Inno Legal Dept, my understanding is they are erring on the side of caution. If you do business in the EU you must abide by these laws.

I have seen what the fines are for breaking them, and they are stiff enough to cripple a strong company or kill a weak one.

If a player is simply inactive, at least you could theoretically add or get people to add to level the building to get your rewards.

What do you do in the case of someone who not only stopped playing, but DISCONNECTED all of his buildings so you cannot donate and reclaim your FP. I have over 2000 FP donated to an Arc of a player in K-world and he did that very thing. There is no way for me to reclaim those.

I'm thinking that it's "Let the Donor Beware" and you donate to anything at your own risk. While I understand that, it hurts to lose that many FP.

RazorbackPirate

I'm thinking that it's "Let the Donor Beware" and you donate to anything at your own risk. While I understand that, it hurts to lose that many FP.

You are correct. There is always a risk when you donate to a GB. They may go inactive, they might choose to never complete the level, or they could choose to delete the GB or even their entire city.

Let the Donor Beware.

Those are words to play by. +1

Flavius Belisarius

1. After the first round of 12 month deletions, change to once a month all 4 month inactivity.
2. Anyway to put an ICON or shade a player ICON in Neighbor/Friend list who has been inactive 4 months?
3. Is the deletion model now based on Time Away or does the City Age still apply?

DeletedUser18709

posting to be safe.
You can delete all but A world for me. Give me the option to delete cities in unused worlds. I'm more than happy to speed up load up times for other folks.

DeletedUser30312

The good of the GDPR is making companies be up front about what they're using your information for. From the reading I've been doing though, a lot of the law's content is just based on principles without covering implementation details and some of the principles present practical issues when it comes to implementation - and i suspect this is what's happening here. Not that storage of personal data for over a year is not allowed in any circumstance, just that between all the requirements inno decided one part of their stategy to meet them was to delete inactive accounts so they couldn't be considered a breach.

So basically blame the politicians. I have no problem with that.

I dunno, I have have no problem with stricter privacy regulation in theory, but this law seems like it's a big overgeneralized behemoth that tries to apply a one size fits all solution to internet privacy concerns. I'm sure the technocrats who wrote it didn't know and likely didn't care how it would affect gaming. It's a shame it can potentially have such a harmfully draconian effect on smaller gaming companies who are doing nothing nefarious but don't make the money to cover the legal fees necessary for compliance.

DeletedUser26965

It's a shame it can potentially have such a harmfully draconian effect on smaller gaming companies who are doing nothing nefarious but don't make the money to cover the legal fees necessary for compliance.
Cui bono

52 Blue

Glad to hear it , been hoping the deadwood would be cut for a long time. This will help the games performance.I also believe that any FP's i had on those builds will be deleted and gone...i will not get them back that is fine with me as i knew the risk when donating.Maybe all this cleaning house is making room for a new age that needs extra space.Glad to see the game runs better and that Inno is doing good things for the game,there will always be complaints but that doesn't stop progress nobody makes us play their game i stopped complaining and the game is more enjoyable now it is what it is.

DeletedUser32150

Some people probably have paid into their accounts, only to come back and find them deleted before knowing of these changes... this cant go well. Should I say it? lawsuit!

DeletedUser35475

Some people probably have paid into their accounts, only to come back and find them deleted before knowing of these changes... this cant go well. Should I say it? lawsuit!

For what? Paying to play a free game? Good luck with that argument!

RazorbackPirate

I am not saying it is a valid lawsuit at all... just saying. People can sue for whatever and whenever nowadays.

Not in European courts. I don't know about Germany specifically, but many European countries grant Judges the authority to deny hearing a case entirely. The judge gets to basically say. "I'm not wasting my time on this." Many others have a loser pays system where the loser of the lawsuit pays all of the legal costs of the lawsuit, including what it cost the defendant to defend against the suit. These two rules eliminate the vast majority of frivolous lawsuits.

The U.S. is fairly unique in allowing virtually any lawsuit to proceed. With IG based in Germany, the suit most likely would have to happen in Germany.

If the U.S. had these two rules, A judge could simply refuse to hear a case from the family that sued their daughter's prom date for the cost of her dress, hair, and make-up when he failed to take her to the prom after getting into a car accident and being rushed to the hospital on his way to pick her up. Loser pays would eliminate all the lawsuits that are settled out of court simply because it's cheaper to pay off the plaintiff than pay for a legal defense.

DeletedUser19501

I hope not, because you should not.

On second thought, I guess if all the rewards you ever received from that GB, including any Arc boost that had been applied, are also removed from your account , then it would be like it never happened.

Of course, you would also lose any extra levels added to any of your GBs that were unlocked using one or more of the blueprints from those GBs. Obviously this would have to include the loss of any expansion pads that had been unlocked using any of the medals from those GBs. Unfortunately, without the expansion to support them, anything built on those lost expansions would also be removed, including any GBs that occupy one or more of the tiles.

So, you know what? I like this idea. I think it would be great if you got all those FPs back when an account gets deleted. I may have to make this a formal proposal.

Thanks for the idea Robertg591, I'm in full agreement with you.

+1 - Major yes from me.

Unfortunately the logic here about removing all previously received rewards and benefits from the GB is a little flawed. If the GB leveled, then the player received the benefits and the donors received the rewards. The transaction was complete and in the books. Now, if the GB is not leveled, there has been no reward given out and therefore any FPs donated to that level should be refunded without loss of any previous rewards.

However, It is entirely different/separate conversation if the FPs should be returned in the first place. As mentioned in other threads, if a player deletes the account, we do not get anything in returned; so, why should we expect anything in this case.

The only argument would be: If Inno is deleting accounts to lighten the load on their servers, they could be nice to give back the FP that we donated since they are forcibly removing any possibility of that player coming back and eventually leveling the GB.

RazorbackPirate

Unfortunately the logic here about removing all previously received rewards and benefits from the GB is a little flawed. If the GB leveled, then the player received the benefits and the donors received the rewards. The transaction was complete and in the books. Now, if the GB is not leveled, there has been no reward given out and therefore any FPs donated to that level should be refunded without loss of any previous rewards.

Yes, I agree. There is no logic for removing the previous rewards and benefits, as that part was all exaggeration for effect.

However, It is entirely different/separate conversation if the FPs should be returned in the first place. As mentioned in other threads, if a player deletes the account, we do not get anything in return; so, why should we expect anything in this case.

The only argument would be: If Inno is deleting accounts to lighten the load on their servers, they could be nice to give back the FP that we donated since they are forcibly removing any possibility of that player coming back and eventually leveling the GB.

The only real argument to be made is your first sentence. Inno is doing this to comply with new EU data privacy laws. Let's hope it also speeds performance.

C'mon, get real. After 12 months of total inactivity, not even a single log-in, any hope there's "any possibility of that player coming back and eventually leveling," is pure fantasy. In the realm of conjecture and pure hypothetical.

But you're way behind in the thread. The topic has been thoroughly discussed from every possible angle. No point in rehashing the arguments now. There's just no valid reason for Inno to return anyone's FPs.

BruteForceAttack

posting to be safe.
You can delete all but A world for me. Give me the option to delete cities in unused worlds. I'm more than happy to speed up load up times for other folks.

Login to the city you want to delete, go to settings, then the profile tab and click on delete city button. Think they will send you email confirmation.

DeletedUser35813

Again - the described deletion process will only commence in a few weeks from now (no automatic deletions will take place before July 11th). We will inform you once again when we are nearing its activation.

If you have any questions, please let us know either via support ticket or right here.

Thank you,
The Forge of Empires Team
Instead of FP refunded the people who gave points get the rewards they were going to get by which status they had in the GB.