• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Bank refuses to do business ?

coloeb433

So today i went to buy a few diamonds and the transaction was declined by my bank. I called them and was told that they don't do business with online gaming. I closed my account, and my wife thinks I am overreacting. I don't think it's my banks business who I send money to or for what purpose, What do you think?

Emberguard

You know what? You could keep that bank if it has reasonable enough fee’s as your savings account, then open in a second bank that will allow the transaction for your fun money ;) You know this bank won’t allow your money to be wasted on just anything. That’s not entirely a bad thing as long as you can still access the money when you want it. You’re right it’s not their job to police your spending, but it does mean you can use it to ensure you separate food/rent/clothing/etc money from entertainment money

wolfhoundtoo

Probably the person you spoke with didn't want to tell you that they declined those transactions because they frequently trigger their fraud protection system. I had a credit card that wouldn't process payments to Inno for that reason as well until I spoke with someone from the right department. The sheer number of fraudulent transactions that involve overseas payments likely makes it not worth it from the bank's perspective if that is their actual policy (versus someone you spoke with who didn't know how to fix it).

Cyrus the Adequate

My credit union declines, as well. I would surmise that the combination of international transactions and an industry that has a questionable track record leads to an unusually high risk for the bank.

cathea

Unfortunately all the above reasons are correct for banks having to put up with fraud and spending money and time on such investigations. Just find yourself a bank or credit union that will not hassle you. Just monitor your account so you can keep track of legitimate spending.

UP ONLINE

I have no comment on your wife's reaction, but unless something is illegal it is not your bank's job to police your spending habits. As long as you had the money in your account they definitely should not have declined the transaction. I would be changing banks, too.
LOL it's not like it's 10 + 200 K $$$

wolfhoundtoo

They aren't policing anyone's actions or spending habits nor is it about the amount of the individual transaction. Without doing any kind of research I can't provide actual numbers but realistically overseas transactions are probably best for fraudulent transactions as the bank is much less likely to recover the money than with a local bank. At the end of the day the bank is weighing THEIR risk of loss since most fraudulent transactions likely end up being their cost if the holder of the card reports it promptly and didn't share their card without anyone.