• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Be a fast GOSU in GBG

Cennyan

GOSU: Gosu is a Korean term used to refer to a highly skilled person. In computer gaming the term is usually used to refer to a person highly skilled in multiplayer games who have incredibly fast actions per minute.

Posting some tips on how to be faster at fighting in GbG. These tips assume that you have a decent number of available troops. If you have to micromanage your troops and swap them whenever they get low on health, many of these won't work for you. This isn't a "Get your X GB to X level" kind of guide, it's literally about being more efficient at the fighting process and eliminating wasteful movements. Feel free to add additional tips if you have them.

1. Make sure any memory hog programs in the background are closed. This includes any Microsoft program, video games, YouTube, etc...

2. Unless you're in an age where your light troops are your goto (ie...Jaeger's in INA, etc..) get rid of all of your light troops (Use them for DA's or kill them off) so that you only have rogues left. This way, when you have to replace rogues, you will not have to scroll through other troops to get to them.

3. Start the sector with a fully healed army. Prior to the fight, find an open sector or use the world map / GE to make sure you're attacking army is set and ready to go.

4. Your DEFENSIVE army (not GbG) should be 2-3 primary GBG troops and 5-6 rogues. (ie...if using Grenadiers, make your defensive army 2 Grenadiers and 6 rogues). This will cause them to show up at the front of your troop listing and reduce tabbing during combat. These are the troops you will initially swap out with during GbG fights. Once these troops are exhausted you will have to resort to tabbing to primary and light unit tabs to swap out. You can adjust this ratio depending on if your primary troops are dying and needing to be replaced more than your rogues.

5. Use 2 primary units and 6 rogues for most fights up to midpoint attrition (halfway between your stopping point) then 3-4 primary after the midpoint. This ensures your entire army doesn’t get wiped out if the primary dies. At very high attrition, this may need to be adjusted each fight depending on what you are fighting. I personally use 4 primary and either 4 rogues or 4 counters at my highest attrition levels (85+ for me).

6. When using #5 strategy, when a rogue dies don't replace it. Only replace rogues when 2 or more are dead or 1 of your primary units die. If you're very low on attrition, you can even wait to replace rogues until 3 or even 4 are dead. I can fight under 15 attrition with 1 primary and 3 rogues easily, however, this is entirely dependent on your atk / def values, so your results will vary. By not replacing the units, you are saving valuable seconds. This requires knowing the limitations of your own attrition values, so it will take some practice (both of your primary units are extremely low (1 or 2 bubbles of health) and you're fighting at a high attrition.)

7. When using #5 and #6 above, if you lose 1 rogue and 1 primary, replace them with 2 primary units, giving you a total of 3 primary and 5 rogues. This saves you a second or two swapping between the primary and light (rogue) tab. With 3 primaries, you should absolutely be waiting for 2 of them to die before replacing the primary again. If a primary and rogue dies at this point, replaced with two rogues....you have flexibility here which should be based on whatever is the quickest way to get you back to full force with minimal clicking.

8. Be counting down with the sector for when it opens (3..2..1..HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!). Be ready to start clicking the instant it opens.

9. Practice….practice….practice…. The one thing that will help you the most is the muscle memory and timings of the fight. Knowing exactly where your mouse needs to be before the window pops up saves valuable milliseconds which add up to an extra 1-3 fights per sector.

Feel free to post any additional tips. If their relevant and helpful, I'll add them to the guide.

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

4. Your DEFENSIVE army (not GbG) should be 2-3 primary GBG troops and 5-6 rogues. (ie...if using Grenadiers, make your defensive army 2 Grenadiers and 6 rogues). This will cause them to show up at the front of your troop listing and reduce tabbing during combat.
And ensure that everyone in your neighborhood will be able to successfully attack your city. LOL

Cennyan

LOL. I'm not concerned about city defense, just players writing guides that give bad advice.
Not sure why you consider it to be bad advice. It shaves off a second or two off every few fights which allows for me to get one or two more fights in on the sector than I would have had I been swapping between tabs. This guide isn't "How to be good at GBG and keep your City Defense in tact", it's "How to be fast at GBG." Most players don't even think about city defense because it's a useless concept. So, instead of just saying it's bad, show us an actual reason that matters as to why it's bad, otherwise I have to chalk this up as trolling.

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

This guide isn't "How to be good at GBG and keep your City Defense in tact", it's "How to be fast at GBG."
Fair enough.
Most players don't even think about city defense because it's a useless concept.
I'm pretty sure most players that don't have completely plunder-proof cities would prefer not leaving their city open to plunder by an entire neighborhood. But as @RazorbackPirate would say, you do you.

As a side note, not everyone on this game will know what "GOSU" means, so they could misinterpret this as a more general guide than you intend it to be. Maybe use less niche terminology so your intent will be more clear to the less tech-savvy players (of which there are many, trust me.)

r21r

10. Don't use rogues
Not using rogues is very bad advice for GBG. I'm afraid you're suggestion won't make it into the guide.
depending the era (and the boosts) x8 artillery might work better than rogues

attached troops (multiple barracks) helped me a lot on lower eras, very fast replacement

did you said about lining up the "fight"-"auto"-"ok" ? line them, then just click up and down (marks on screen could also help)

when on 0 lag, you can ninja click "fight" right after the 1st "auto", this way you can do 2 fights earlier, but you'll have to press x2 "ok" , good for late sieges

zoom in zoom out sometimes helps having less lag, also try having "hidden" all other sectors with marks/being attacked during the time you fight, this will reduce lag.

The Lady Redneck

Speed is not everything in GBG. Fighting fast is relatively easy. It can, in fact be counter productive. The ability to STOP when you are fighting at speed is more important. If you are in a guild with a high number of fast fighters hitting the same tile, they must be disciplined enough to stop so holds are not over run and tiles get capped before they should be.

Agent327

Not using rogues is very bad advice for GBG. I'm afraid you're suggestion won't make it into the guide.

No, using rogues is very bad advice for GBG. You are talking about speed. What do you think you can switch faster. 8 equal units, or let's say 4 units and 4 rogues?

What units do you think you can use with those rogues and still auto battle?

GeniePower

I'm pretty sure most players that don't have completely plunder-proof cities would prefer not leaving their city open to plunder by an entire neighborhood. But as @RazorbackPirate would say, you do you.
We're talking about maybe 2-3 minutes for those tiles. Not the entire hood will know to attack in that window. Before and after you can have your normal city defense

People still use city defenders?

I have to agree with Agent on the rogues. If you are going for speed, every click/tap counts and switching to another unit type adds time. IF you can get a setup of all one type that is good against most all of the matchups, that will be the fastest refresh.

r21r

I have to agree with Agent on the rogues. If you are going for speed, every click/tap counts and switching to another unit type adds time. IF you can get a setup of all one type that is good against most all of the matchups, that will be the fastest refresh.
you can still have 16 attached troops + rogues 1st on the list as long as they are attached.
if you need more than 16 , then you have to switch to unattached and start scrolling again

Johnny B. Goode

We're talking about maybe 2-3 minutes for those tiles. Not the entire hood will know to attack in that window. Before and after you can have your normal city defense
Fair enough, if you only take one tile per day. Otherwise, it seems like it would be a royal pain to switch it up every time before and after your GBG activity. Seems more likely that an active GBG player using this method would just leave the city defense in the GBG mode rather than doing all that switching of units. Doesn't seem like a point worth arguing over, though, I was just providing a little context for those who might read this guide.

Cennyan

No, using rogues is very bad advice for GBG. You are talking about speed. What do you think you can switch faster. 8 equal units, or let's say 4 units and 4 rogues?

What units do you think you can use with those rogues and still auto battle?

The problem with not using rogues is that you're replacing units at a significantly higher rate. To be fair, At very very low attack levels, it could be possible that not using rogues may be a better option. Since I can't remember a time where I didn't have a high enough attack that my rogues almost always survive, I don't think that way. Under 25 attrition I'm replacing 1 primary or 1 rogue maybe ever 4-5 fights.

Rogues, in GBG, take the first hit and change, therefore no damage is taken and no units are lost (unless AI goes for your primary first). After they change, as long as you can kill the enemy in a single hit, you won't be losing any troops at all. If you're not using rogues, you'll likely be replacing units every 1 or 2 fights as opposed to every 4 to 6.

As I said, this is likely dependent on your attack values however, I'd still be surprised if using rogues still wasn't always the better option. Since I'm not going to delete all my attack buildings to test, I'll leave it up to someone else to determine the validity at the ultra low attack levels that Agent is referring to.

Cennyan

Rogues, in GBG, take the first hit and change, therefore no damage is taken and no units are lost (unless AI goes for your primary first). After they change, as long as you can kill the enemy in a single hit, you won't be losing any troops at all. If you're not using rogues, you'll likely be replacing units every 1 or 2 fights as opposed to every 4 to 6.

I just confirmed this. Using 8 Power Dragons, I would lose the first after 2 fights, then I would lose one every additional fight. This was at 35 attrition, which is still pretty low for me as I fight up to about 100 attrition. When I switched to 2 primary and 6 rogues, I'd have to replace either a rogue or a primary every 4-5 fights. I never have to replace both by following the rules I set above, so the swapping two troops vs swapping one troop is completely irrelevant.

Agent327

The problem with not using rogues is that you're replacing units at a significantly higher rate. To be fair, At very very low attack levels, it could be possible that not using rogues may be a better option. Since I can't remember a time where I didn't have a high enough attack that my rogues almost always survive, I don't think that way. Under 25 attrition I'm replacing 1 primary or 1 rogue maybe ever 4-5 fights.

I really wonder how you come up with this. At very low attack levels, rogues are actually better cause they can take the first hit for you. At high attack levels, they are really not that useful anymore.

You still have not answered my question. What's the unit you use with those rogues, so you can auto battle?

I just confirmed this. Using 8 Power Dragons, I would lose the first after 2 fights, then I would lose one every additional fight. This was at 35 attrition, which is still pretty low for me as I fight up to about 100 attrition. When I switched to 2 primary and 6 rogues, I'd have to replace either a rogue or a primary every 4-5 fights. I never have to replace both by following the rules I set above, so the swapping two troops vs swapping one troop is completely irrelevant.

Really??? You use Power Dragons to prove your point? Why not 8 rogues?