• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Beginners Help to mobile players

DeletedUser38256

I am new to this game, started a couple of months ago and wanted to share some important points that are different in my opinion than what I have seen on the different guides and blogs. So here you go:
1. The mobile app does not support GVG or Guild vs Guild You are basically playing GE or Guild Expedition. This means that the attack elements are not as important early on.
2. Don’t stay too long in the early eras. I am seeing that fighting with higher level troops gives more GE points.
3. Find a good guild quickly. There are a plethora of early guilds that are useless. You need to find players with GBs you want. Do keep looking at the higher end guilds. But avoid GVG guilds. You can’t help them.
4. Once you get your GB (all prints) find a player willing to give the resources you need for FP. The early era GBs are not as useful. So focus on the best GBs to get Ahead.
4a. Be very careful of innovation tower. It’s population is so high that you might have other troubles with happiness.
5. Focus on tavern. You need to make friends but it is as important to remove friends who don’t visit. Note you can send invite for upto 80 people but you can have 140 people total in your friends list. So at some point you need to pound the taverns of your neighbors to get them to send you friend requests. You need to put a table cloth for them to keep you also.

DeletedUser38090

1. The mobile app does not support GVG or Guild vs Guild You are basically playing GE or Guild Expedition. This means that the attack elements are not as important early on.
Eh, you can plunder on mobile, which can be quite exciting, especially if you like the mail.
2. Don’t stay too long in the early eras. I am seeing that fighting with higher level troops gives more GE points.
Very debatable. Lower eras are often much easier to fulfill tons of RQs, which can substantially increase your goods and forge point production. Also, if your main source of enjoyment in this game is helping out newer folks, setting yourself in a higher era would bring you to neighborhoods with significantly less newer folks. If you advance too quickly on the tech, you'd run dry on supplies and coins, and have a poorly developed city which might make a frustrating gaming experience. Most folks don't worry too much about GE points, but rather the participation rates.
3. Find a good guild quickly. There are a plethora of early guilds that are useless. You need to find players with GBs you want. Do keep looking at the higher end guilds. But avoid GVG guilds. You can’t help them.

Looking for a guild for getting prints for GBs is, in my opinion, a very unproductive and terrible idea. You would either have to engage in the swap threads, which will cost you a bit of FP and time, or snipe guildmates, which is often seen as unethical by many players. Instead, use ForgeDB and find players who have higher level GBs, and ask them if they are leveling up those GBs (and add them to the friend list), so you can easily grab 5th place for maybe 10 Forge Points or a bit more and score 4 or more blueprints.

Also, joining a good guild from the get-go is not necessarily the best advice if a player is starting out, as that player could guild hop a lot and make substantial coin and extra blueprints before finding a good guild. But a good guild is almost necessary to make serious progress in this game.

Mobile players shouldn't avoid any guild that does GvG. Some guilds have a GvG focus, but are perfectly fine with having another mobile player on their roster. You could also provide goods to their treasury which might be needed for GvG while being a mobile player. Now of course, if GvG combat is required by the guild, then a mobile player should avoid those kinds of guilds.

4. Once you get your GB (all prints) find a player willing to give the resources you need for FP. The early era GBs are not as useful. So focus on the best GBs to get Ahead.

You should already be looking for a player who is giving the resources for FP DAYS BEFORE you get the full set of prints. If you do it after you get the full set of prints, you will be desperate for the goods, and will probably get ripped off by somebody since you will choose one of maybe the first 2-3 goods sellers who have replied to you. Instead, I recommend looking for goods sellers as soon as possible so you can find somebody who can offer the goods for the cheapest price. Heck, you might even get the goods for free if you're lucky.

Also, Zeus, Lighthouse of Alexandria, Temple of Relics (if you complete GE3 or more), and St. Mark's Basilica are all perfectly wonderful early-age GBs. Instead of looking at a GB based on its age, you should focus on GBs that enhance your playstyle. Not all later era GBs are good.

5. Focus on tavern. You need to make friends but it is as important to remove friends who don’t visit. Note you can send invite for upto 80 people but you can have 140 people total in your friends list. So at some point you need to pound the taverns of your neighbors to get them to send you friend requests. You need to put a table cloth for them to keep you also.

While an amazing friend is one who sits at your tavern, and provides aid every single day, there is no easy method in policing whether or not a friend is sitting at your tavern frequently. Instead I just aid from event history and boot anybody who hasn't aided me. But the advice for upgrading the tavern tablecloth, and looking at neighbors' taverns is sound.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This means that the attack elements are not as important early on.
This is only true for Bronze Age. Fighting in GE, even as early as Iron Age, is the most efficient method, and the same goes for the Continent Map. Not preparing to fight will leave you at a disadvantage pretty quickly.
While the second part of this is true, the first part is questionable. Too many players end up rushing through the early ages, leaving them ill-prepared for what they run into later. Better to proceed at a measured pace, developing and producing as you go.
The early era GBs are not as useful.
This is also questionable. The Statue of Zeus is a must have if you are going to fight at all. The Tower of Babel relieves some population pressures and can fill in some goods that you don't have the boost for. The Lighthouse of Alexandria also gives goods, and provides a supply production boost that is very beneficial, especially in the early eras. Also, both the ToB and LoA will provide you goods you can sell in the later eras when they switch to unrefined goods and double their production. The small footprint of all three of these GBs balanced with what they provide makes them extremely useful.

DeletedUser38256

Some good advice in the replies.
What is a good reserve of coin and supplies before moving to the next era? I think more than a month in an era is too much assuming you are able to pay the FP for the first set of research (but not unlock) prior to moving up. Also move up on Sunday night so that the new neighborhood doesn’t decimate you. Gives you a week to grow into the new era in the old hood.

Did not know about forgedb. Need to look into it.

UBERhelp1

Also move up on Sunday night so that the new neighborhood doesn’t decimate you. Gives you a week to grow into the new era in the old hood.
No. Age up Tuesday after GE starts, it lets you fight with the previous era's units. Also, any relics you receive will give rewards for the age you just moved up to. This also gives you time with the hood and makes GE a lot easier.

What is a good reserve of coin and supplies before moving to the next era?
Depends on the era, but I plan out what I need.

I think more than a month in an era is too much assuming you are able to pay the FP for the first set of research (but not unlock) prior to moving up.
No. No no no no no. Maybe for BA, but this will leave you up a creek without a paddle. This, combined with your previous post:
This means that the attack elements are not as important early on.
sets off warning bells in my head. Based on what I can see of your playstyle through your comments, you won't be able to handle higher eras if you play like this. Tech racing will leave you without GB, a mixup of buildings from old eras, and make you easy prey for plunderers. I advise camping in certain ages to build up GB. Good ages for this include IA (easy GE, easy to fulfill quests), HMA, and CA (both have good production buildings for RQs).

DeletedUser38226

Fairly new, but my thoughts.

1. Max out the friends tavern.
2. Win the event main buildings and max them out. More experienced players may differ, but they appear to have long term potential.
3. Vikings also appear to have potential.
4. Think ahead.
5. Decided I wasn't a fan of the Oracle.
6. Learn to negotiate in the GE. It isn't difficult and the fourth turn from the tavern seems to be able to clear the board, at least for the first 48 quests.
7. Friends are where you find them.

DeletedUser38186

you can calculate how much coins, supplies and goods will next era cost. I'd say if you would like to move at a certain pace, you should stay in one era as long as it takes you to accumulate enough goods from that era enough for all further research. I hate playing catch up with goods from previous eras

Emberguard

What is a good reserve of coin and supplies before moving to the next era? I think more than a month in an era is too much assuming you are able to pay the FP for the first set of research (but not unlock) prior to moving up.
Pay all available research in the new era without unlocking so when you want to advance you can do so quickly is absolutely a good idea. Well done in working out that solution :)

You'll need to reach the first new unit before the new week for GE starts. So age just after the week has started and you'll give yourself the most time possible to set yourself up for current age troops once GE updates its troops to current age

As to reserves, doesn't matter. What matters is you're always getting a net profit. If it's going down instead of up you've got a problem. If you can't complete event quests for collecting you've either got a problem in supply/coin flow or need to find an alternate source for the quest

For the amount you should be producing look to the tech tree. What rate do you want to be able to complete on average a tech? That'll tell you how many supplies you need to produce

Also keep in mind that a blacksmith in bronze age takes 1 hr to pay itself off. But a colonial age supply building takes a week before it makes profit. So if want to base your supply decisions on time, make sure that as you rotate your buildings that anything you place down will stay long enough to make actual profit.

Emberguard

Also adding onto what was said earlier. Another reason to go for goods before you have all the BP's is to see which GB your seller will require you to put into. You may end up able to put into the very GB you're hunting BPs for anyway and potentially get easy BPs as it'll be more likely a secure higher position given the amount of FPs needed

DeletedUser29404

you can calculate how much coins, supplies and goods will next era cost. I'd say if you would like to move at a certain pace, you should stay in one era as long as it takes you to accumulate enough goods from that era enough for all further research. I hate playing catch up with goods from previous eras
The Wiki has all the costs listed for each Age. A quick peek at the Age tab, on the Wiki, can give you a great understanding of whats needed to complete each Age~Goods/Coin/Supplies/forge Points.