• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Best Age to Squat in...Worst Ages to Avoid

DeletedUser32906

I’ve been in the Progressive Age for around a month now working on my Great Buildings and so far I’m really enjoying it. Plenty of active players to aid daily and I enjoy the military in this age. I fully expect at least some of my teammates to catch and possibly pass me before I’m ready to jump again

DeletedUser30312

I am probably the only person 'camping' in EMA, lol. First of all, I detest Iron Age for many, many reasons. More so now due to the PvP changes. EMA is incredibly easy for me. I can run a city on autopilot in EMA. Sure, troops in HMA and IA may be better, but EMA aren't completely awful. I can manage to get by with them.

I spent about 3-4 months in EMA. It's an okay age, but if one is going to camp early, IA is the place to do it with the PvP changes. I don't think Inno did this right, but a player might as well take the advantage here -- hide behind the PvP unlock and get at least a strong Zeus and maybe a CoA to make life miserable for people when you get out of the lock. An ambitious player can shoot for the CdM to and a really ambitious player with a good guild or good friends can even shoot for the TA. And while you're parking there, you may pick up some helpful Ritual Flames in the GE.

DeletedUser31470

I spent about 3-4 months in EMA. It's an okay age, but if one is going to camp early, IA is the place to do it with the PvP changes. I don't think Inno did this right, but a player might as well take the advantage here -- hide behind the PvP unlock and get at least a strong Zeus and maybe a CoA to make life miserable for people when you get out of the lock. An ambitious player can shoot for the CdM to and a really ambitious player with a good guild or good friends can even shoot for the TA. And while you're parking there, you may pick up some helpful Ritual Flames in the GE.

I would add that camping in the IA can be very advantageous as you might snatch some of those tasty IA terrace farms, which by the time you arrive to LMA and further, cost you literally 0 population and save precious space for housing, yet still produce those 5 forge points.

DeletedUser31592

I found the lack of PvP more frustrating than helpful. It was hard to solve quests when you can only attack a very few people. Since I don't rush tech, I'm typically top-5 in every hood, at all times, so I don't get plundered much.

DeletedUser40299

I have to say that CA is a great Age to camp to acquire and build up GBs. The supply quest is great too. I had 58 ckockmakers and built up a great deal. I was unfortunately forced to move to Indy which is ok because I unlocked the bonus quest line for Indy thru the map and got stuck trying to complete it to get my double reoccurring quest line back. Once I moved up to Indy I finished the bonus line in 2 days. I'm about to make the double Age jump to PME and hang there for a few months till I feel ready for CE. In my other worl I've been in HMA for 5 months and love it other than the lack of 2 reoccurring quest lines and about to skip LMA to CA to stay for a year or more.

Super Catanian

I feel that Indy is the best age to camp in.
In that age, it is possible to get Conscripts of the Progressive Era, which, in the GE, makes you essentially inmortal.

Houston Don

To me it's a no-brainer. Contemporary Era.
1) It has the best military unit of any age in my opinion, the Anti-Aircraft Vehicle.
2) Tomorrow Era stinks, so most players will go on quickly to Future Era, which means you'll rarely have to worry about next-era neighbors. And when you do have next-era neighbors, your CE units are just as good as the TE units.
3) Your goods producing GBs will produce Progressive Era goods, which are needed for two of the most popular GBs: Alcatraz and Chateau Frontenac. This means you can sell those goods for FPs.
4) Your current era goods can also be sold if you have enough of them, as the Innovation Tower is also a much desired GB.
5) With an Alcatraz, a Rogue Hideout and decently leveled attack GBs, you can fight through most, if not all, of GE. Meaning any goods won there are pure profit.
I have one world that is in Contemporary Era, and it is my favorite to play. I also have one that is past CE, in Arctic Future, and I regret daily advancing past CE in that city.
One thing you and xivarmy don't mention is that you can get advanced troops ahead of time, the SW Team in pre-PME and CE's anti aircraft in PME give you a tremendous advantage over other players, even the CE tanks in PME make a reasonably leveled player nearly invincible. Otherwise, when you move to CE, you will encounter many other players with such troops and beyond, losing the edge until you've caught up. I'm not "camping", just taking my time as I move upwards, but in my PME neighborhoods only a few have CE troops and most of them rushed to get there so they lack the boosts that make such troops more than most can handle. I might lose a rogue or two fighting in the last half of GE level 4 but I get so many of them from dailies, GE, and HC rewards that I took down my rogue hideouts as they are always available in spades. That said, few seem able to agree on exactly what constitutes camping as so many players rush eras to the point where they can't compete. You make many good points though.

I feel that Indy is the best age to camp in.
In that age, it is possible to get Conscripts of the Progressive Era, which, in the GE, makes you essentially inmortal.
I leveled up to CA about a week ago. I was careful to let the CA, Indy, and PE Story quests drive my tech tree progression. One of the last quests I could complete gave me 2x Conscripts. One Conscript and 7x Rogues is absolutely wicked in CA.

(I realize this is a Necro, but thought someone might find it useful.)

Algona

(I realize this is a Necro, but thought someone might find it useful.

Ya know, this ain't that bad a thread to necro. It's an interesting topic. And with a major change to the game, the addition of GBG, maybe that changes the advice in this thread?

How about it folks? Does GBG change your advice from last year?

----------

Not square on topic, but something I keep meaning to look for discussion on, how has the need for previous Era Goods for negotiating GBG changed your approach to when and how to move up in Era? Especially if you plan to camp in that next Era?

Don't negitiate GBG? Gonna stockpile huge amounts of Goods before moving up? Find some dedicated producers and buy/trade from them? Not 1up some Goods producing SBs when you move up? Something else?

The Lady Redneck

Since GE came along I like IA because of being able to camp behind the MT tech and learn fighting tactics without having to worry about being attacked or plundered. If you have the patience to camp there, you can also get all the GBs you will need and Event buildings that will eliminate the need for goods buildings and housing once you do move on. Then once you are strong enough, you can come out from behind the MT tech to gain experience in GvG and PvP. You can also get the EMA Monastery and a couple of EMA Armored Infantry if you work ahead on the Continent map.

I have not had any experience of EMA, HMA, LMA or CA since before GE but thought they were ok to work through and learn in but not stay long. I know a lot of folk really like INDY but I found the troops crashingly boring and the rest of it just Blah.

I LOVE PE as it really is a great era to camp in to get strong and there are so many way you can combine and experiment with the troops that fighting is a joy. Goods production seem to ramp up there also and it is not long before you can trade down to really build up your lower age goods inventory and also have enough to offer to sell them for Traz and CF.

You need to camp to build fighting strength in PE as ME and, PME. are pure Blah and a sheer grind to plod though. (I was still using PE troops with more effect in ME and PME }

I agree with Stephen on CE (especially once you get AAVs) and TE is another boring Blah.

Have one world in Future and so far am loving it. Have not finished all the techs yet but Hovers are amazing and even the other troops are fun to "play" with. So I do intend parking there for a long time.

I plan all my age-ups meticulously. With the addition of GBG, accounting for a higher Goods requirement is just another consideration. In moving up to CA, I left a number of goods-producing buildings in LMA. This is providing me a steady source of previous-era goods.

UBERhelp1

Now because of GBG I'm more careful about preparing for the new age and generally leave behind a bunch of sleighs to produce goods. I'd build the SG, but I just don't see it as that great for the cost and space.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Now because of GBG I'm more careful about preparing for the new age and generally leave behind a bunch of sleighs to produce goods. I'd build the SG, but I just don't see it as that great for the cost and space.
The Star Gazer is very expensive for what it provides. If you have unlimited room and/or can't get your trades taken at an unfair (to you) rate, then it may be worth while, but otherwise I just don't feel it. There are so many easier and cheaper ways to get prior age goods.

DeletedUser30312

Not really. I grew to actually detest PE, while I found that ME is okay for camping, but not the best, but this was all before GBG launched.

Honestly, it's not going to make any difference with GBG because attrition is the same regardless of age, unlike GE which gets harder as one levels up. With GBG, it's important to either build up your goods production or combat capability depending on your approach. I think I'm going to go up to PME on Tuesday, but that's only going to impact GBG for a few weeks while I start producing PME units and goods.