• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Best Age to Squat in...Worst Ages to Avoid

AAA12AAA

Since GE came along I like IA because of being able to camp behind the MT tech and learn fighting tactics without having to worry about being attacked or plundered. If you have the patience to camp there, you can also get all the GBs you will need and Event buildings that will eliminate the need for goods buildings and housing once you do move on. Then once you are strong enough, you can come out from behind the MT tech to gain experience in GvG and PvP. You can also get the EMA Monastery and a couple of EMA Armored Infantry if you work ahead on the Continent map.

Got a a few questions.

I am sitting in the IA gathering peanuts meanwhile progressing on the Continent map, got 2 EMA Armored Infantry and EMA Monastery.
Armored Infantry was awesome for the IA that is until playing drunk, RIP troops you are not forgotten! LOL.
Didn't even put Monastery in the city as I don't see a point, for majority attackers 8 Defensive troops are enough to shoo them away for those few high points attackers Monastery isn't a problem, just gather goods in time and hit them back, its not hard to suppress defense of 1-2 mil points player while having only 150-200 k points yourself. Don't plunder myself but like to hit back, part of the game so also don't see a point to " camp behind the MT tech ".

Now the Qs.

Still sitting in IA and now hitting LMA Provinces on the Continent map.

The problem is with the Story Quest as I got stuck with this one:
- Build a Cultural Building or Decoration of the HMA or research a technology that unlocks a cultural building.

As I'm not able to do either, is there a way around it without progressing higher in the Age?
If not, is it better to stay put on the Continent map while camping in IA? Don't want to miss important story quests (such as getting troops of the higher Age) or it doesn't matter and its full speed ahead?

Thanks

The Lady Redneck

There is no way round this that I know of. How you proceed is up to you. I have an IA world where I have reached CA on the continent map but it is a fun world so am quite happy to stay there for now. Am no longer behind the MT tech though. If you have used you time behind the MT Tech to acquire and build up the GBs you need and also trade up so you have a healthy inventory of goods from BA through HMA (plus Champs Retreat and rogues Hideouts) And you are bored with IA then move up. And build your Monastery the 20% boost is great to have. You will have already fulfilled the requirements of some on the story quests, so once they come up you will simply have to collect the reward. First thing to do when you move up is to U/G your Champion to your new age. As that plus 7 rogues gives you a full army to fight with until you get your troop buildings up and running. And when you do get advanced troops please take care of them. Do not get drunk until AFTER the battles Main thing is, not to be in a hurry to move up through the early ages as they are the easiest ages to learn to fight (Do PvP, GvG, GE and GBG) in and also to work out your strategy for city building.

Algona

build your Monastery the 20% boost is great to have.

Ehhhhh. Not really. A players has to believe in wanting to add defensive structures to their city and have nothing better then Monastery which is at the lower end of efficiency.

The years long debate rages on between adding defensive structures or not. Wont rehash it here, nut seems obvious from their post and looking at their city (nice looking city AAA!) they are on the not building side.

Monastery is not strong as a defensive structure given the easy availability of RFs My just moved up to EMA city has 14 RFs in Inventory. 1 Monastery = 20 Def boost while in the same space 5 RFs = 40 and they don;t have to be contiguous.

DeletedUser41192

I'll give a list of reasons to camp for a bunch of ages - not all will apply to you. I'm not going to give a list to explicitly avoid because that's really any age that reasons to stay don't apply to you :) I cannot claim this list is complete by any means - but it's what I can come up with off the top of my head.

You could camp in:
Iron Age
- for the most sustainable unbirthday quest - while infinite questing is quite a bit of work, just getting a chateau to 10 will already have you able to do close to as many quests as you can stand
- for the smallest spend FP quest
- for the lowest boost expedition - while this doesn't make it the easiest expedition it does put it up there for several ages
High Middle Ages
- for 24 hr alchemist loops - favored by many players starting out who want some of the benefits of recurring quests quickly and lazily
Late Middle Ages
- for the most sustainable unbirthday quest in an age with two recurring quest slots that allow your unbirthday quests to occasionally trigger bonus collection quests
Colonial Age
- for another age like alchemists but with two recurring quest slots
Industrial Age
- for running expedition with troops well ahead of your current age - the first truly easy age to complete GE4 purely by fighting (if you're ahead on story)
- the last era that does not involve 2 lane roads which stress some people out
Progressive Era
- to maximise the chance at getting additional chateau prints from random blueprints
- the last era that does not deal with refined goods
- to sell PE goods for FP
Contemporary Era
- the easiest era to fight GE4 with *current age* units
- to sell CE AND PE goods for FP
- able to get troops well ahead of your age again as the research block at the end of CE story is the last one for a while (may require having saved skippable techs earlier in the tech tree)
Tomorrow Era
- the most sustainable high age unbirthday quest
- smallest nonpremium production building for 24 hr quests since many ages prior (4x3 single lane)
- you have a reasonable chance to complete the AF and some of the OF story to get troops way ahead of your age as you don't have the same tech tree pressures you would in CE
Future Era
- the last era where your treasury GBs can make meaningful GvG contributions
- to sell FE and PME goods for FP
- able to reasonably fight all GvG maps
Arctic Future
- an easy "infinite" quest, albeit with about 30 more clicks than a usual quest (build 8 decos once you have the flower near the end of the age)
- to sell AF and CE goods for FP
- double spend FP quests make it one of the best high ages to quest by sniping
Oceanic Future
- three copies of the complete 6 24 hr productions quest allow 6 blacksmiths to complete 3 quests daily
- to sell OF and TE goods for FP
- easy (albeit tedious) GE mainly using hover tanks against an age that does not have good counters for easy stealth
Virtual Future
- to sell VF and FE goods for FP
- ability to use any units you want for AA GvG
Very informative. TY

DeletedUser37344

I've been in Industrial for quite a while .. leveling up combat GB ... and facing a mix of troops.. some from the past (CE - Field Gun,Grenadier, etc.) and once, a Conscript). I've continued to compile goods, both current and past. I saw my first combat map with trenches which made me sure to level my combat GB as high as possible. The next era (Progressive) has combat assets that pose significant challenges, enough to reaffirm my decision to try and level my combat GB as high as possible before progressing to the Progressive Era. I think camping in the Industrial Era makes sense.

AAA12AAA

Ehhhhh. Not really. A players has to believe in wanting to add defensive structures to their city and have nothing better then Monastery which is at the lower end of efficiency.

The years long debate rages on between adding defensive structures or not. Wont rehash it here, nut seems obvious from their post and looking at their city (nice looking city AAA!) they are on the not building side.

Monastery is not strong as a defensive structure given the easy availability of RFs My just moved up to EMA city has 14 RFs in Inventory. 1 Monastery = 20 Def boost while in the same space 5 RFs = 40 and they don;t have to be contiguous.

Thanks for the compliment on the city, I guess its nice... from the Tetris point of view. lol
+1 on RFs, definitely way more efficient than Monastery.

P.S.: Good sig. lines, common sense but many still don't get it)

Fenni

Im camping in CA until i max everything out. Then I plan to camp at PE.
2x2 roads can be fixef with a quick reconstuction mode, but the refinded good system seems much more complex

JJ597

Im camping in CA until i max everything out. Then I plan to camp at PE.
2x2 roads can be fixef with a quick reconstuction mode, but the refinded good system seems much more complex
Refined goods problem has been resolved with event buildings. Age up event building to current era and they produce all the goods you need. No longer any need for goods deposits and goods buildings.