• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Best Obs Leveling Strategy for Guild

Darth Mole

What strategies have members adopted for getting Observatories leveled quickly without having to resort to compulsory donations from Guild members?

DeletedUser26965

Well jeez you eliminated the best way. Guess you could make an OBS only swap thread.

Darth Mole

Get them Arcs! Who wants an observ. when the arc benefits both the guild and the player.
Agreed ! We're relatively young - mainly EMA through to Colonial. One modern with an Arc which I may start personally donating to start getting some BPs

DeletedUser26965

Ha! I hate making things compulsory - for one it's a pain in the neck to police!
Ah, the life of a guild leader, why I recently retired my founder position, just finally broke me. You can try to be as creative as you can to do things without mandate but there's really only so much you can do. Contests are another way to go but not sure how well that would work out for ya here in this particular case.

Darth Mole

Ah, the life of a guild leader, why I recently retired my founder position, just finally broke me. You can try to be as creative as you can to do things without mandate but there's really only so much you can do. Contests are another way to go but not sure how well that would work out for ya here in this particular case.
Yeah - I took a year and a half out after founding and running a Guild on E for a couple of years.
Back for more punishment!!
We have about 20 or so Obs already and I'm racking my brains to find innovative ways to get them built up.

The other thing to consider is 'should we even bother?'
Each extra level on an Obs only gives an extra 5 goods per day to the Guild but costs usually many hundreds of FPs. Most folks would rather donate 5 Goods rather than go through the process of getting their Obs leveled.

I'm hoping someone will come up with a fun way to get peeps to part with their FPs on nominated Obs.
My 2nd in command has been running a great program focusing on cajoling Guildies to level specific Obs but that is now running out of steam....

DeletedUser26965

The other thing to consider is 'should we even bother?
If you plan on GvG'ing a lot I would think so. But yeah maybe abandon any OBS program and go for Arc, shouldn't have a hard time incentivizing peeps to blow fp's on that.

DeletedUser31592

An incentive. A few of my guilds do GE incentives. If you finish a certain level (3 or 4, depending on which guild), plus have an OBS of a certain level, you are entered to win a weekly reward. It will cost YOU and perhaps other leaders some FPs on a random GB, but it could motivate everyone to get their OBS to at least the minimum level.

Example: Finish level 4 of GE and have a level 5 OBS, you are automatically entered to win 20 FPs.

Algona

For Obs BP acqsuisition, I run a deal where non-Obs holders donated to my Obs and I matched the donations. They get BPS for half price.

For Obs leveleing it was easy. I donated half the FPs for the first 4 levels of any new Obs for about 3 months. Then i started shaming other members to help out as well. This was at the tme wehre FE was still relatively new and the Guild was struggling to ppenn levels. It's kinda fun to have a reputation as a generous ass.

Getting the Guild self sufficient in GE was my next to last act as day to day manager.

Darth Mole

For Obs BP acqsuisition, I run a deal where non-Obs holders donated to my Obs and I matched the donations. They get BPS for half price.

For Obs leveleing it was easy. I donated half the FPs for the first 4 levels of any new Obs for about 3 months. Then i started shaming other members to help out as well. This was at the tme wehre FE was still relatively new and the Guild was struggling to ppenn levels. It's kinda fun to have a reputation as a generous ass.

Getting the Guild self sufficient in GE was my next to last act as day to day manager.
Great tips - thanks Algona

Mustapha00

None of my Guilds have a mandatory participation OBS program, but four of the five do have a program in which a player's low level OBS (generally less than level 5) is named the "featured" target of donations and some effort is made so that those who do not yet have OBS get the best chance at earning higher reward positions and thus more BPs, but that requires a certain amount of self-restraint on the parts of higher ranked players who have more FPs to spend.

I'll be honest: I spent Diamonds to obtain the BPs I needed because Inno, at that time, had made OBS BPs harder to obtain that FE Goods for an Arc. With more Events in which OBS BP are offered as potential rewards, the gap is a wee bit narrower now than it was back then, but an argument can still be made that it is easier to build an Arc than it is an Observatory.

Darth Mole

OK so this is what I've done -and bear in mind that the driver for this is people aging up without the means to pay for unlocking levels up to 4 in GE.
Essentially we have an Obs focus thread which is concentrating on leveling 1 existing Obs at a time.
We have a bunch of normal GB threads where those with existing Obs are encouraged to post.
but the new introduction is rule #3 in the Guild. Players HMA and above are not allowed to advance to the next age without having an Obs (or Arc)

At first this sounds a bit harsh but what it has done is created a flurry of discussion about how to get an Obs and a huge amount of activity on the swap threads.
In the last day we've had 4 Obs in sticks.
This is a 56 player Guild with (now) 28 Obs.

Do the onus on the player is to get an Obs if they want to advance but if they're happy sitting and farming then they can do that without the need to chase BPs and get one in the stix.

Only one whiner so far and everyone else seems to have taken it in their stride.

Time will tell.....

DeletedUser26965

Well, I can tell ya this, most people generally want a strong, solid and clear process and leadership in place, some of course will take issue with anything but they can either take it or leave it, however that doesn't mean suggestions should be ignored by such players if you ever run across them, they may bring something of value to the issue.

And I can tell you no top guild on the leaderboard is without that, well except when a new world opens and it's just a few major diamond players just blazing through which in turn attracts others to join but for the most part they too will settle into to a process and leadership position. If you waffle in ambiguity and chaos very little of whatever goal you set out to do will be accomplished so figure it out, set it down and make it so, as time goes on and a better way is discovered readjust to that.