• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Best Possible Cultural Settlement Layout

Triopoly Champion

4 Huts + 2 Shacks + 8 Shrines + 2 Mead Breweries + 1 Axe Smith + 5 Expansions
Forge of Empires - Viking Cultural Settlement with 4 Huts.jpg

Collecting every hour is rough, but whatever floats your boat. Are you waking up every hour to collect as well? This setup just seems really annoying. The less frequent you need to collect the better imo. Your setup isn't all that much better than connected houses if we're talking about 1 hour productions, and worse for 4 hour productions.
I could collect every 1 hour or 15 minutes with my Shrines too, so whatever the advantage for him was only on the 2 additional shrines he had not all 7.

Also, it's harder for him whenever a new expansion adds in, I just added in 2 more Shrines, he probably only be able to add in 1 more with the 9th land slot as he'll need 1 more unconnected shack and 1 shrine with the additional roads.Forge of Empires - Viking Cultural Settlement with 9 Land Slots.jpg

Last edited:

DeletedUser36624

I am collecting every 15 minutes right now. I can watch TV and just collect/reset when my phone buzzes.

RazorbackPirate

In another thread, it was claimed that, if you Abandon a Settlement (as I did due to way too many rocks), the exact same map will show up next time.
Do we know that for certain?
I don't know for sure as I've not tried it, but the way I understand it, is if you just start the settlement and abandon, you'll get the same Impediments. If you do something that gives you the 24 hour lock out period when you abandon, your next Settlement has a new pattern. You suffer the 24 hour lockout, but the timer stays the same. As I said, I've not tried it to verify myself, but this is how I understand it from the posts on the Beta forum. If so, it might be worth the 24 hour lockout when you get a horrible map, but not just to look for the ideal one.

DeletedUser36624

Huts are here! I now stand at:

2 huts
6 shacks
6 shrines
3 mead breweries
4 expansions

Since I am heavy on mead and light on axes for huts and beast hunters, I replaced my axe smith with the third brewery. My entire mead need is only 194, so the 102 for huts and beast hunters is more than half. I've decided to keep the breweries cranking until I can delete them permanently. I'm not replacing the 6 shacks yet, because they are crammed in without roads into an expansion and a half.

6 shrines is sufficient to fuel 3 goods buildings at 15 minute collections (thankfully, it is a weekend), with some slop over to carry through the night. What I'm considering right now, is do I do an intense 5 min collections for several hours to build a buffer that will carry me through deleting shrines to build a beast hunter, so I can pay 1 horn instead of 12 mead for the 5th expansion. Having to pay 12 mead would mean 3 additional mead cycles before I can delete the breweries. The way my impediments are laid out, there is no 5th expansion that would allow me to build more than one hut and two shrines, I can't build a 4th goods building.

Well, since I'm an hour out from having enough mead to buy that 5th expansion, I will try to see if I can get 11 5 minute collections in an hour without it being horribly obnoxious.

DeletedUser36145

Hi!
Any idea of a good "timeline" with the quests?
As I have 12 days and 2 hours to go, and 10 unfinished quests, I was wondering, whether I am moving at a good speed or not?
I have 2 axe smiths, as axes are the most demanded good for my research from now on, one brewery, 5 shrines, 2 huts and 6 shacks. Deleted the hunter immediately after placing it, cos horns are not needed in the near future.

RazorbackPirate

Hi!
As I have 12 days and 2 hours to go, and 10 unfinished quests, I was wondering, whether I am moving at a good speed or not?
I have 2 axe smiths, as axes are the most demanded good for my research from now on, one brewery, 5 shrines, 2 huts and 6 shacks. Deleted the hunter immediately after placing it, cos horns are not needed in the near future.
I think only someone who's completed this multiple times on Beta would be able to answer that. Otherwise, we're all winging it, hoping for the best like you.

DeletedUser36624

Hi!
That's kind of why I'm posting my updates, to give sort of a "pacing" check to others, although people should be aware that I am pushing this run through including doing 5/15 minute shrine cycles.

Anyhow, here's a new update:
11d 16 hr to first deadline
5 huts
2 shacks
8 shrines
1 axe smith
1 mead brewery
2 beast hunter
6 expansions
10 quests completed

Got my first beast hunter up last night, and bought two expansions with the overnight goods, and I have four huts crammed into the 3 expansions on the southwest side. I'm to the point where I have to deal with expansions with impediments in them, and I have a good area with no-impediment expansions to the south and east, but I have to take 2 expansions with nasty, badly placed impediments to make good use of them. My wool needs are fairly low, so once I get there I can use a fair amount of wool production for expansion placement.

I was going to crank the mead breweries until I had enough to dispose of them entirely, because my further mead needs are low (92 total for clan totem on), but I only need 29 to get me through wool, and I have that, so as soon as the last brewery finishes its batch, away it goes, in favor of an axe smith. The smaller size of the axe smith will allow me to remove the road to the hut, and build a shack and a shrine in the space there. Axe and horn needs to get to wool are about even so, 2 axe smith and 2 beast hunter will get me there faster.

DeletedUser32824

I'm playing it pretty casually 11d16h left and I'm waiting 20 min for my collection to sell all my shrines and shacks and replace them with huts. Then going to rebuild the shrines.

As to abandoning settlements, I tried in the beginning like 5 times and got the same layout with like 4 impediments in my initial land grab (my settlement blows!). So don't do it!

RazorbackPirate

As to abandoning settlements, I tried in the beginning like 5 times and got the same layout with like 4 impediments in my initial land grab (my settlement blows!). So don't do it!
Did you get a 24 hour lockout or you just looked and abandoned?

UBERhelp1

Just to everyone, there really isn't an advisable 'good timeline.' Someone could hang back at the beginning and produce all the axes they need for future unlocks, only at say quest 5 by day 6, then blast through the rest of the quests really fast. I might try making a graph of the day at which I complete certain quests for each settlement to see if there is any kind of correlation.

Though it will take a long time to complete that graph :)

RazorbackPirate

Just to everyone, there really isn't an advisable 'good timeline.' Someone could hang back at the beginning and produce all the axes they need for future unlocks, only at say quest 5 by day 6, then blast through the rest of the quests really fast. I might try making a graph of the day at which I complete certain quests for each settlement to see if there is any kind of correlation.

Though it will take a long time to complete that graph :)
Part of the issue is that the amount of each good changes for each Settlement. I've got 2 settlements going. One needs more mead than axes and I've got 2 mead breweries and 1 axe smith. The other needs more axes than mead so I've got 2 smiths and 1 brew.

DeletedUser36624

Well, I'm closing in on having enough stuff to unlock the Clan Totem, but I'm considering not doing it until I have enough to do the Market too. The totem only gives diplomacy so I figure I will wait until I can do both so I don't have to do a teardown for diplomacy twice. Any downsides anybody can see?

RazorbackPirate

I did not, but I had not built anything yet. I believe I read someone say somewhere that the lockout only occurs after you build something.
Yes, I believe that's the case and why I asked. I also believe had you built something then abandoned, you would have had to suffer the 24 hour lock out, but you get a different set of Impediments. Seems it might be worth the 24 hour wait to get a better terrain to start with.

DeletedUser33179

Well, I'm closing in on having enough stuff to unlock the Clan Totem, but I'm considering not doing it until I have enough to do the Market too. The totem only gives diplomacy so I figure I will wait until I can do both so I don't have to do a teardown for diplomacy twice. Any downsides anybody can see?

With the small size of totem, can you use it in place of shacks to provided needed diplomacy to be able to squeeze another shrine into your settlement?

DeletedUser36624

With the small size of totem, can you use it in place of shacks to provided needed diplomacy to be able to squeeze another shrine into your settlement?
The shacks are providing the population needed for the shrines. When I go to unlock the totem, I will have to delete three shacks to put down enough runestones, and because the shacks are populating three shrines, they go down being replaced by runestones to replace their diplomacy. Once the totem is bought, I restore my roads to get everything working again, and put down 12 totems in the space vacated by the shacks/shrines. Once they build, the roads turn into runestones again, and I buy the market. Then my whole city gets redesigned for lots of markets instead of lots of shrines.

If there's a better plan, I'm all ears.

Agent327

How can there be a "best possible" settlement layout when every terrain is different? It's like saying a Lada is the best car ever, just cause your country does not allow other cars.

DeletedUser33179

The shacks are providing the population needed for the shrines. When I go to unlock the totem, I will have to delete three shacks to put down enough runestones, and because the shacks are populating three shrines, they go down being replaced by runestones to replace their diplomacy. Once the totem is bought, I restore my roads to get everything working again, and put down 12 totems in the space vacated by the shacks/shrines. Once they build, the roads turn into runestones again, and I buy the market. Then my whole city gets redesigned for lots of markets instead of lots of shrines.

If there's a better plan, I'm all ears.

My bad, forgot as I was typing that totem only gives diplomacy, not population. Do far I can't think of any downside to your plan.