• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Best units against hover tanks?

FriarTuck

Well, I'm in Oceanic Future and barely remember hover tanks. I don't have access yet to most of my eras troops--just snakes and one other whose name I can't remember. Oh yes sub cruisers. I'll build and earlier source if necessary.

Last edited:

iPenguinPat

Title says it all.

Where are you fighting hovers? GVG? PVP?

In GVG, Future Era Map, Rail Guns are the best counter to Hover Tanks. A leveled Arctic Orangery helps a lot.
In GVG, All Ages Map, Use Hovers to fight Hovers. There are so many other units that you might have to fight that you can't risk using Railgun or Plasma Artillery. Using Hover Tanks to fight in AA is your best option against the majority of matchups.

In PVP or World Map, If you know you're only fighting against Hover Tanks, then Pickelwaesel is right, AF Plasma Artillary is optimal. If you're possibly running into a mix of units that could include flyers, then use your own Hover Tanks. OF units aren't good for attacking Hover Tanks. CRABS are okay, but HTs, Rails, and Plasma Arts simply work better.

Xenosaur

Title says it all.

Well alex, please refine a little bit on what you'll allow us to propose. I can propose higher era units that will defeat it handily. But a lot of things even 2-3 ages above Future - DO bounce off hovers, especially if you manually fight (like on the continent map).

It's their stealth that's so important.

So to defeat it, you need something not troubled by the Hover's stealth and that can also shoot at it from far away, so that the hover can't return fire.

Then your question makes sense to answer intelligently so the answer can assist you.

Johnny B. Goode

Title says it all.
No, actually it doesn't. If you're in PVP Arena, 8 Plasma Artillery would be good. If you're in GE, GBG or GvG, 2 Rail Guns and 6 Rogues will work. A lot is dependent on your boosts in relation to the defending army's boosts. For example, if I'm fighting 8 Hover Tanks and there is a lot of terrain, I might go ahead and use 8 Hover Tanks myself and maneuver them so that the enemy has to use non-plains tiles to attack from, thus allowing most of my Hovers to hit them from range. Sometimes the terrain will allow you to completely hide behind non-plains tiles, other times you have to leave one Hover partially exposed.

FriarTuck

Thanks for the reply. Please elaborate on why plasma is not good in PVP--cause that's where I need them. I start getting them tomorrow and there are two guys I have to pass 'cause they use hovers.

Johnny B. Goode

Thanks for the reply. Please elaborate on why plasma is not good in PVP--cause that's where I need them. I start getting them tomorrow and there are two guys I have to pass 'cause they use hovers.
All three players who mentioned using Plasma Artillery say it is good to use in PVP against 8 Hover Tanks. A fourth player also describes a weapon that would be good and it sure sounds like a description of Plasma Artillery. Here are the quotes from all 4:
Plasma Artillery are what I use against those.
In PVP or World Map, If you know you're only fighting against Hover Tanks, then Pickelwaesel is right, AF Plasma Artillary is optimal.
If you're in PVP Arena, 8 Plasma Artillery would be good.
So to defeat it, you need something not troubled by the Hover's stealth and that can also shoot at it from far away, so that the hover can't return fire.

wolfhoundtoo

Pretty sure people did explain the 'why' hovers would be good in the various instances provided but to be more specific 8 plasma works well against 8 hover because artillery has a boost against heavies and plasmas can see through stealth (which hovers have) thus why 8 plasma works well against 8 hovers. The flaw with plasmas is if there is they can't kill flying units. So if your competitors have 1 TE drone for example you will lose the battle (or be forced to retreat if you are manually fighting).