• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Best units of each age?

DeletedUser

Considering that there is a short range, long-range, and close combat units, what would be the best units of each category for each age? I think for the bronze age spearfighter and slinger. and I see little use for the stone thrower. For the iron age the archer and ballista. Soldier seems not as necessary. What about more advanced ages? What would you recommend are the best units/combo as I move up in each age?

DeletedUser

It's difficult to give a concise answer to this. The troops you prefer may not be what others prefer. I find each battle requires different kinds of troops depending on the army I'm facing.

DeletedUser2699

I stick with archers for almost everything until HMA. Enemies are tougher, takes a 2-5 hits but guerrilla strat works like charm. Can't do it with archer? nego then :)

Units are getting more expensive and TIME to replace.

SO the best units is almost always - ranged units.

DeletedUser

I use one or two heavy infantry (best available) as a damage sponge, keeping them in open fields, to give my short range units time to work.

DeletedUser

Any more answers please? What is the best unit(s) for each age? I am trying to win each age's map with minimal amount of military

DeletedUser

I have always used a combination of 2 each of light infantry, short range and long range. This gives a large enough selection that allows for conquering all territories at least currently (up to the mixed colonial). No single combination will get you through all the battles. If you're dealing with all long range, usually all long range is a good option. Against horse, the light infantry, especially in the woods works well. Short range is more versatile and with proper maneuvering can take down heavier infantry. So basically there is no real right or wrong answer to your question. If you want to do a lot of battles, increase the number of each depending on what type of units are used in your neighborhood/that you lose.

DeletedUser

Then let me be more specific to my age: early and high middle ages. Are there specific examples of units anyone can recommend or or NOT recommend?

DeletedUser

crossbows, berserkers, heavy infantry, and trebuchet yes. Knight not so much

DeletedUser

Then let me be more specific to my age: early and high middle ages. Are there specific examples of units anyone can recommend or or NOT recommend?
Avoid mounted archers, they actually inflict less damage than iron age archers, but definitely go for crossbows. Obviously long range units are clear winners as units get more expensive to replace, but you'll still get away with "brute forcing" short range at this stage.

Random.dude878

Avoid mounted archers, they actually inflict less damage than iron age archers, but definitely go for crossbows.
If you can afford special military buildings, especially rouge hideouts/dens, then use them. It takes a full 24 hours, but it’s worth it.

Agent327

Any more answers please? What is the best unit(s) for each age? I am trying to win each age's map with minimal amount of military

Move on and find out,or just search the forum for the previous 100 times that question was answered.